Quantcast Validating Beverage System to Begin at Disney Resort Hotels - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

About time! Glad to see the freeloaders have their days numbered.
    Holiday Villas (2000 & 2001)
    Parc Corniche (2002 & 2007)
    Comfort Inn Lake Buena vista (2008)
    Port Orleans Riverside (2009 & 2010)
    Pop Century Resort (2011 & 2012)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I just got off the Freedom of the Seas, and they had ValidFill dispensers onboard. I had to play a little as I immediately thought of WDW and the mugs debate.

Without checking I figured it was RFID. RCCL was able to "program" an end date into the mugs and it was indicated on the LCD display when I dispensed. Said mine would work until 7/12/2011.

The machines worked well, but it worked or didn't. The water dispense is a nice idea. Somewhat diabolical, but acceptable. I would guess they could also change the LCD to say things like STOP THEIF or THANK YOO or whatever.

One "problem" i had was when windy, soda would sometimes miss the cup. Lifting the cup to avoid thd mess resulted in the machine shutting down.

I figured if was a matter of time before these hit Disney, and I'm surprised to see Disney wait this long and adopt it.

As others mentioned, this really is something that makes you wonder how lucrative soft drinks are. RCCL went to extreme measures I thought for just a couple cents. Disney seems bent on found the same. It HAS to be a very big revenue stream for them. I would guess it's around 90-95% profit.

The mugs from RCCL were nice and will probably last a while as souvenir mugs. Disneys are cheap and pale in comparison. RFID can ve put in anything, so I wouldn't expect the quality of mugs from Disney to change. I'm guessing the disposable cups will also feature RFID devices (single use is my guess) so don't get ideas of bringing your own paper cups to cheat the system.

Post Thanks / Like

I just sort of skimmed the responses but what about split stays? It says that the mug is good only at the location purchased. So if I have a split stay I need to buy two mugs? I thought recently they were saying you could use it throughout your current trip even if it was at two different resorts.

Just confused.
    Amanda

Next Visit:
    August 16-23, 2014: CBR

Virginia Tech
    HOKIES

Post Thanks / Like

Default validating cups....

Here's another scenario...I buy a new refillable mug every time and bring the last trips cup (go 2x a year) and fill up both so that I don't have to make another trip back up to the main hall to get another drink for a while...in my opinion i am not cheating, as I always purchase a new mug, I just drink a lot of liquids and try to save wear and tear on my feet where I can. Guess it'll be instant coffee and warm tap water in the morning and ice water at night for my extra hydration, I simply refuse to buy two mugs, just on principle alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hokies4life View Post
    I just sort of skimmed the responses but what about split stays? It says that the mug is good only at the location purchased. So if I have a split stay I need to buy two mugs? I thought recently they were saying you could use it throughout your current trip even if it was at two different resorts.

Just confused.
    I can confirm that POR has a sign at the beverage station with this info (using mug through entire trip). I even took a pic but have no way of posting it.

Perhaps the beverage stations will have universal receivers allowing any cup purchased on property to be used until it expires (check-out day or a day later). I guess we won't know until it's implemented resort wide.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. We've always gotten a new mug each time. And I don't blame Disney for tightening it up ~ those "cents per person" over one hundred thousand people adds up.

Myself, personally, I'd just be happy to get a half decent hot chocolate at the FQ at the end of the night instead of the biege tinted hot water that it usually is . . . That's the cheep thing that bugs me. We've taken to bringing our own hot choco packages to supplement the pathetic brew at night. Sigh . . . . otherwise I have to choke my beignets down with water . . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    I can confirm that POR has a sign at the beverage station with this info (using mug through entire trip). I even took a pic but have no way of posting it.
    This is the wording I've always seen:

"Refills available at no additional charge at Resort Beverage Island located in the resort that this mug was purchased through the end of your resort stay."

It does state through the end of your stay, but at the resort that the mug was purchased at.
    Sounds like this new system they're going to use might mean that folks can't use their mugs throughout the whole trip for split stays.

All in all, if the validation system eliminates all the confusion (and intentional theft, of course) at the beverage stations, I'm all for it. And yes, less debate about it on the boards would be a plus.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

At least we can now engage in a NEW endless mug debate!

Post Thanks / Like

How does this affect people who have the lifetime refill mugs?
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post
    How does this affect people who have the lifetime refill mugs?
    No idea, but my guess is those will no longer be in effect.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Would be an idea if you could bring back these new mugs on future trips and they could program them to be used again at a discount rate instead of buying new mugs every trip.

I am sure with any technology this will break down every now and then causing problems but I suppose Disney could shut down the chip reader and have it work the old fashioned way unless there is no buttons or levers to push on these new dispensers.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure they will be hearing from people if that actually happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    I am glad they are finally doing something if for no other reason to end the monthly debate about the Mugs once and for all
    Ditto.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

What freaks me out is that the Mouse has that much more information on you. How much you drink, what kind of soda, what time. etc. That Big Bro Scarier.

Post Thanks / Like

Will this work for the hot beverages? I use hot water for my tea. And get a new mug each time too.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Granny View Post
    Will this work for the hot beverages? I use hot water for my tea. And get a new mug each time too.
    I was just thinking this too, if it included coffee too or just the cold beverages?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    The water dispense is a nice idea. Somewhat diabolical, but acceptable. I would guess they could also change the LCD to say things like STOP THEIF or THANK YOO or whatever.
    I personally would vote for the LCD to read "PSYCH" when water is dispensed instead of soda!!
    Disney BORN & BRED!

71-78 FL resident, MANY visits!
    78-79 CM@MK
    85&90-offsite
    94-SOG
    01&05-Band trips-offsite
    May08-1st visit 4 our spec DS! POFQ
    MAY09-POFQ-DD's college grad!
    POFQ/MNSSHP 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Everything mentioned is possible. With RFID they can make things work any way they want, from a simple property wide dispense, to a tiered plan where you could go resort only or property wide to even charging per dispense by product (coke .50 an ounce or water being .05 a fill). Or even go with a pre-paid option where you by your beverages by the gallon.

The sky is the limit once implemented.

And yes, big brother could track your habits. But I'm not sure there any more information here than they already have other than type of beverage. That I guess could allow them some power in negotiating any beverage contracts.

But the reality is this is a revenue (or lost revenue) decision above all else. The current mug system is allowing massive amounts of revenue to slip through their fingers. Getting that money flowing back towards the mouse is the biggest reason for implementing this. And I'm not really blaming them. I still won't be contributing to that stream, but can't blame them for trying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    What freaks me out is that the Mouse has that much more information on you. How much you drink, what kind of soda, what time. etc. That Big Bro Scarier.
    So not a concern of mine.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

So overall I think this great idea, because too often I see folks with mugs from 3+ years ago refilling mugs.

The part of the policy that I disagree with involves split stays. I'm sorry if I purchased a mug it should work at all resorts for the entire length of your trip. Heck I'd even be willing to pay a couple bucks more to have use at multiple resort, and with this technology it would be possible.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: