Quantcast Cell Phones!?!?! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I will admit I'm on my phone a lot when I'm at Disney, and mainly it's to tweet. Just trying to bring some Disney magic to our Twitter followers. I do try and be courteous though, and am very aware of lighted screens, etc.
    ha and that reminds me they have a new app where you can check wait times and fast pass returns for disney world. maybe people are just trying to manage their vacation because that's just how our world works now!
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that it is out of control, but here's another twist:

Last year, a good friend of mine took his family to Walt Disney World and he is very tech-savvy. He created a blog that he would update almost hourly with photos and a timeline of where they were any given day.

He did everything on his I-phone- Took pictures of the kids, updated the blog, tweeted and facebooked links to the blog. I imagine he must have had his eyes on his cell phone the entire time - but for him, it made his Disney vacation one he could share with everyone back home plus he has a real-time online version of the trip that he and his family can visit anytime they want.

So I guess sometimes people on their phones might be sharing the Disney experience rather than ignoring it.
    Please stand clear of the doors. __________________________________________________ Por Favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also one of those who has to admit cell phone usage on rides occasionally but I try my best to be very discreet about it. Actually, on rides I don't talk into my phone at all. I have a niece and a couple of others in my family who are either Disney NUTS like me and my DW or they have never been to Disney and appreciate hearing what some of the rides are like.

In other words, I'm bringing the person on the other end of the line onto the ride with me for the experience! Like I said, I try to keep this sort of thing hidden from the rest of those around me so as not to be a distraction or a nuisance of any kind.

As far as using them in line...well...I honestly have to say that I enjoy the queues too much or I may get it out to snap a photo to send to some of those at home, but I never get my nose stuck to the screen for whatever reason. Like someone posted earlier in this thread, if people would just use a little common courtesy (or better yet, common sense) then most of us would never notice it to the point where it bothered us. And the problem is that there are tons of people out there who possess neither of these.
    I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something than educate people and hope they were entertained.
    Walt Disney

June 2006-POR (Anniversary)
    Dec. 2007-Pop (My Birthday) 9 DAYS!
    September 2008-POR

December 2009 OKW for MVMCP!
    Upcoming..September 2011-BLT/AKV for MNSSHP!

Post Thanks / Like

It does seem to get more and more pervasive every year and will probably continue to do so as more people switch to smart phones. At least until Skynet takes over I think we're just stuck with it.

As far as sharing it with all the family and friends at home, I enjoy seeing what my family and friends are up to.......to a point. A few updates per day are one thing, a running list of every ride they're going on and the wait times, and the food they eat and on and on and on just gets their news feed (to use the facebook example) hidden for awhile.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm one of those that actually leaves my cell phone in the room when we go out to the parks and then will check for any missed calls or texts when we come back for a break. Even then I will only return calls for family and really close friends. Since it's only me and DH I can do this pretty easily, but I have a feeling on our next trip the cell phone will be coming with us to the park since we'll have a little one with us along with my parents and we'll probably be splitting up a bit. So for efficiency we'll probably use the phones to re-connect a bit. I'm actually pretty bummed about it since I love being completely unconnected when I'm at the parks.

I don't mind so much when others are using theirs, so long as it's not on the rides or they're not being obnixious about it. Aside from that they can do what they want.
    Kristina
    "A dream can be a dream come true, with just that spark in me and you" - Figment & Dreamfinder

Oct 2017 WL
    Oct 2014 WL
    May 2013 WL (DS 1st Trip) - Club Level
    Sep 2010 WL
    May 09 WL
    Oct 08 Poly
    Jun 07 WL (Disneymoon)
    Jul 04 WL
    Apr 2000 GF
    1982-1999 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

My group of friends use them to take photos and meet up when we are in different areas of the park (usually EPCOT). I might be shopping and they might be in Germany cruising the CMs, and we need to meet up, we will text or call.

However, we would never use our phones during an attraction. Plus, we enjoy each other's company!
    1975 & 1977 - Summer - Disneyland
    1991 April - WDW
    1993 April - WDW
    2006 June - Saratoga Springs
    2007 July – Saratoga Springs
    2010 February - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2010 October – AKL Jambo
    2011 July - Old Key West
    2013 October - OKW
    2015 September - AKL Jambo
    2016 September - AKL Jambo

Post Thanks / Like

i just dont get having to be in constant contact with someone on the phone.whether your talking or texting or whatever else there is.i have my own business and im not on the phone as much as some people are.my phone only has a camera which comes in handy when looking at jobs .take a picture and i dont have to remember every detail.we do use the phone if we go with my mil and aunt.they have their agenda and we can meet up later .other than that its phone off and enjoying my vacation.

Post Thanks / Like

While I am in line, I use my cell phone. I am a genuine multi-tasker. I talk to my family, but also text my friends. They all love Disney, and we usually talk about stuff that is new, different, or just our favorites. I never use my phone on rides simply because I am too afraid I would drop it. The only time I have used one on an attraction was Small World, but it was on vibrate so no sound could be heard, and also my screen brightness is always on the lowest possible setting. I usually only use my phone to call people in times where there is not much going on (Waiting for parades or fireworks or something of the sort) and it is usually to call family that did not come with us to say hi, goodnight, talk about the day, stuff that we would usually talk about at dinner every night. So I really don't see a problem with my kind of use of a cell phone. But with ANYTHING, there are people who take it a step too far.
    Please stand clear of the doors
    Por Favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas

Post Thanks / Like

I will be on my phone often this trip... mainly playing around with the Undercovertourist app for disney wait times...

If everyone put their phones away, then how could the wait times be updated for accuracy?!
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey'sGirl View Post
    I agree. The most important people in my life are with me, and anything else can wait until I have a chance to check my messages.
    I feel the same way... although I will admit to having to realize it on our last trip, when I had a new cell phone.

It had "bells and whistles" that my prior phone hadn't had, and I was able to stay in closer contact with people than I had been able to prior trips, and I found myself constantly on my phone on the buses, checking in and catching up. Near the end of our trip, the bus arrived back at our resort after a day at MK, and I realized that I hadn't seen a thing on the way "home", I hadn't really chatted with my girls or my DH (who was also on his new phone, mostly b/c I was on mine... ) and my girls had silently sat and chatted b/w themselves. What upset me was the realization that on every other trip, we would have spent the ride back talking about what we had done, all our favorites, what we wanted to do the next day... and none of that had happened. So, I made a promise to myself to save my phone use for in the room while we were getting ready to go or for bed, or for some time when I had a few moments to myself.

What kills me now in the parks is what some of the other posters have mentioned... people not even looking at what's around them, and instead, spend most of their time with their heads buried in their phones. I've seen people walk down Main St., tripping over other folk or over the curbs, trying to text or whatever else they're doing, not looking at the stores, or the castle, or god forbid, talking to their families. So sad!!

I wonder how many of these people will get home and look at pictures and think.... "Hmmm... I don't remember this... "
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerbellFan16 View Post
    The only time I have used one on an attraction was Small World, but it was on vibrate so no sound could be heard, and also my screen brightness is always on the lowest possible setting.
    Sorry, but this is a pet peeve of mine and I think it's a good example of what everyone is talking about here.

Setting your screen brightness to its lowest possible setting does not matter. Others around you still see it and it's annoying. But it's interesting that people think they are being accommodating by adjusting it.

It would be the same as two people in a movie theater saying that they know they should not talk during the movie, but they lowered their voices to be considerate. The point is that they should not be talking at all.

Post Thanks / Like

...And I felt bad about studying for a promotional exam and process while standing in line some 9 or 10 years ago.

My kids thought I was crazy, but they accepted it. That was in the days before smart phones. I used index cards.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

As the mother of two teens, I will use my phone to text when my kids are off riding and exploring in other parts of the park from where I am. It is our way of allowing them freedom and me the peace of mind that I know where they are at any given moment. They let me know when they get in line and when they get off a ride and where they are heading next. It helps me to enjoy my time alone with DH and not worry as much.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

100% agree! I think Disney needs to create a new ad campaign - "Don't Text and Walk". I've been run over and bumped into dozens of times by people texting and not watching where they are going. I feel like I am walking around a obstacle course with all the nomad-texters!!
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

One thing I love about INTERCOT ... we're never judgemental around here.

Now listen before I say this let me preface it by being clear that rude or obnoxious use of mobile devices is not okay. I'm not cool with talking loudly on your phone during rides or shows or things like that.

But the truth is, whether I like it or not, I have to be in contact with my office when I'm on vacation. It's just part of my job. You can like it or not like it or accuse me of being one of those faux important people if you want, but it's just a simple fact. When I'm out, people still need to get a hold of me and if I don't pick up their call or answer their text or email I won't likely be going to Disney World anymore because I'll be out of a job.

Trust me ... I envy those who can be totally free from the office while they're away, but there are many of us who just can't. We're not pretending to be important and (as in my case) probably aren't that important anyway. Maybe we work for a small company (like I do) where there isn't a whole slew of people sitting around waiting to back us up while we're on vacation.

Instead of being so bitter and angry about it, how about a little sympathy for those of us who'd love to be able to spend all of dinner talking with our families and chatting up our kids, but just don't have that option.

Climbing down from my soapbox now ....
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ian, I do understand where you're coming from, but I'm afraid that you're likely to be the rare exception. Most people glued to their mobile devices aren't guaranteeing their job security, they're doing mindless stuff.

Thankfully, we've never encountered this problem on a ride, and hopefully we never will! I also think it's time for WDW to add "mobile devices" to their "no flash photography" speech. They should be turned off on the rides, because the ride is supposed to be an immersive experience for everyone. What about the people like Ian, who definitely can't be out of touch for a few minutes? I honestly don't have a good answer for that.

We leave cell phones in the room, we're not on Facebook, we don't Tweet or blog, but even if we did do those things we would lose all interest in them on a WDW trip. Not begrudging others their choice to do those things! Just don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to be courteous while doing it. Don't do it on rides, or in shows. Take a seat while you do it so you don't cause an accident.

We like to keep in touch with family while we're there too. Every two or three days we call them from the room in the evening. If we tried to update them several times a day on what we were doing, I'm pretty sure they'd think we were certifiable.

BelleBeauty Guest

I completely agree! My DH and I actually just decided that for our November trip we are going to go "old school." We'll pick a place to meet in case we get separated and leave our phones in the room. This is the only way for both of us (admittedly addicted blackberry and iphone users) to not work while we are trying to enjoy our WDW vacation!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't think of anything that can't wait the few minutes it takes to complete a ride. There's no excuse for texting/talking/etc while on a ride.

In the queue, lines, tables in restaurants, do whatever you want, I could care less, but on the rides, turn it off. If there is something that absolutely can't wait, then you probably shouldn't be on the ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly, this is merely a microcosm of the world as we know it today.

Just the other day on my way to work, I saw 6 kids waiting for the school bus..Not one of them was talking/playing with another kid.They ALL had their heads down texting away....

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, My Name is Sean, and I'm a smartphone addict All kidding aside I understand people want to be on their phones for various reasons. What I don't understand is people who don't understand common courtesy of others.

My best example was during our last trip we were in line for the Haunted Mansion. This lady was talking on her phone in the line. As we approached the entrance I was hoping she would end her call. No such luck. She continued to talk through the entire stretch room scene!!! Imagine if this was your first time on the attraction, how horrible of that person.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: