Quantcast Cell Phones!?!?! - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaredkari View Post
    Ok Ok I realize this thread I started has gotten a little heated and I apologize. I have no problem with people using their phones while in line or walking around the parks. It is just completely rude during rides and when you see people ignoring their children.

Several people have said they have to be in contact with their office or work. Can someone explain to me what job they have where they have to talk to the office at 1:30 am on a Sunday night during EMH???? What job requires instant response that cannot wait 1 and a half minutes until Peter Pan is over?? Who the heck are these people constantly texting!!!!
    I don't think this thread is heated at all. Just folks relaying their thoughts and experiences.

I doubt there is anyone doing business at 1:30am, but you never know. More than likely though, like it's been mentioned in this thread, it was just an enthusiastic Disney fan relaying their trip to others, and not realizing he/she was bothering those around them. Or maybe they did realize it....that would be the problem.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I doubt there is anyone doing business at 1:30am ...
    Well there are these little things called time zones.

Trust me ... there are people who might have to be on the phone to take a business call at 1:30AM. That's only 10:30PM West Coast time and I often have clients and co-workers cranking at 10:30PM.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

Trust me ... there are people who might have to be on the phone to take a business call at 1:30AM. That's only 10:30PM West Coast time and I often have clients and co-workers cranking at 10:30PM.
    I said 'but you never know', and you bring up good points.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kakn7294 View Post
    My children are 11 and 16. They PREFER it if I ignore them.
    I am in that club!

Wait until we have to deal with the next phase of rudeness -- recording on the iPad. I've already experienced this at my children's school, when I was sitting directly behind a dad who was completely blocking my view of the entire stage at a student band concert! Get ready...
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

"Can someone explain to me what job they have where they have to talk to the office at 1:30 am on a Sunday night during EMH???? "

Here's my answer:
    I am a divorce and custody attorney, and the focus of my practice is on highly confrontational custody matters. These often involve abduction / unlawful removal of children from their home states. I also deal with a fair degree of domestic violence and spousal/child abuse.

With that as my 24/7 life at home, I would LOVE to lock my phone in the room safe or leave it behind . I would like to leave my clients in the hands on one of my capable coworkers for a week or two so I could get away.

They prefer that I be there for them, and in emergencies, I am. I ask that they not abuse cell/text/email on nights/weekends/vacations, and the majority of them respect that.

I am not suggesting that I or my job is "special" or "more important". I use my phone very discretely in public, theatres, and on vacation or at the World. My objection is not to people using their phones or being absorbed in them - I only wish others to use courtesy and not infringe on others' enjoyment of the parks or life in general (loud talkers, bright screens, ringing phones, etc.).

So, some posters dont "get" why others HAVE to answer a text or a call. My client calling me at 130am during EMH knows why I have to answer, and is the one who makes the magical trip possible for my sons and I .
    Disney nut and obsessive Disney vacation planner
    DVC owner at Old Key West and Polynesian Village Resort
    Proud Disney dad who isn't ashamed to be the Goofy to my kids and the Beast to my Belle
    Have stayed at: Ft W; CBR; POFQ;PORS;DLH; DL Paradise Pier; and Vero Beach

Post Thanks / Like

I'm grateful DH has a cellphone, or we couldn't leave home at all. He's got to be available 24/7. >sigh<
    Kate

First visit: 1974 (off property)
    In between: 6 visits (off property), then:
    POR 2002
    CS - 2003
    AKL - 2005
    POR March 2006
    POR August 2006
    Upcoming: August 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Just wonder what all of those people that "just have to use the phone" did 10 years or so ago before cell phones became more available to everyone. We sure seemed to get by OK without them. Actually enjoyed the things around us without their associated distraction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Call it wishful thinking.

You can't imagine how many times I've wanted to "stretch" my arms toward the person behind me and "accidentally" knock his camera into the waters of Pirates of the Caribbean.

If only I had guts.
    LOL you and me both!

But WDW brings out the best in me and I just let it go...
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

As long as they don't interrupt my time and enjoyment I don't mind people using phones, the thing that really shocked me was in disneyland paris, there was a kid playing on his nintendo ds, whilst going round pirates. queue? Maybe? Ride? Why bother going?

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

I completely understand that adults may need to be available 24/7 for work calls, etc... And I have no problem with discreet use of phones at WDW.

I do have a problem with teens and children plugged in to cell phones, hand held games etc... For my own kids putting the phones away and leaving hand held games at home has been awesome for all of us. They interact and experience more. While they ignore me at home, I find we become closer and have so much fun together while away. They are different when I unplug them!! And really, what important business do kids have? Getting them away from the constant texting to friends about nothing is a good thing!!
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=BrerGnat;2182350]I am 100% okay with people using smart phones in lines. Lines are boring. I see people reading books in line, kids playing on handheld video games. Nothing wrong with either, I don't think. Honestly, sometimes you just want some time to veg out, and while in line for a ride seems like the perfect time to do so. No one likes waiting in line. And, if you spend ALL DAY with your family anyway, I don't see the harm in doing something non productive and non-interactive while in a line.

Amen Natalie...while my husband and I don't talk on our phones a whole lot, my husband is a lot happier when he can connect while on lines or during down time. We value family time, and engage in family conversation during dinner, and are not over the top with it at all.
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
    Just wonder what all of those people that "just have to use the phone" did 10 years or so ago before cell phones became more available to everyone. We sure seemed to get by OK without them. Actually enjoyed the things around us without their associated distraction.
    Businessmen/women certainly had cell phones 10 years ago...heck, I was 16 and I had my own. Before that, people had pagers/beepers. Before that people had answering services, or certain times they needed to find a phone and check in. Being tethered to a job is nothing new. At the same time, it's kind of "ahistorical" to compare life today to life 10-20 years ago. Job requirements and expectations have certainly adapted to the availability of technology.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

True! One of my good friends travels regularly over seas for his business. He's made middle of the night calls to other countries where it's actually the afternoon there. [or morning? something like that! ]

Anyway, It doesn't bother me at all. I'm generally having to much fun to notice others that much anyway Plus I admit, I'm on FB updating my status for fellow Disney nuts so they know what I'm doing at every turn!
    Terra - Wife, mother, special needs teacher. Disney addict! °o°

Advocate for my 2 sons. David: Auto-immune disorder. Praying for remission!ASD/SPD & Aaron: ADHD/Anxiety/ASD. Life makes us stronger!

Post Thanks / Like

My mobile (cell), which is also my business 'phone stays off all time except an emergency. This is for 2 reasons roaming charges because it has a UK SIM and it's really hard to buy a USA SIM (without having to buy a "burn" 'phone).

I go to WDW for a vacation to get away for a while - not to use a 'phone all the time
    Soarin' to Tower

Next Trips: 2017 The other half has allowed me back!
    Offsite 1998, 2004, 2015 (Universal)
    AKL 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2013
    Beach Club 2008
    Yacht Club 2010, 2011, 2012
    DLR California 2004, 2014
    DLR Paris 2006, 2008, 2010
    DLR HK 2013

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: