Quantcast Ack! Which resort

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ack! Which resort

I need help from everybody on the boards. I am looking for pros and cons of certain resorts. Usually when we go we stay at the Poly...this trip will be the first one without our girls...they decided to all grow up...so hubby was thinking we should either go and try the Contemporary again or stay at the Boardwalk. If anybody has stayed at either of these on a regular bases or even just recently could you share the good, the bad and the ugly. I'm still leaning towards the Poly but I am wondering if staying there without our girls will be difficult with all our happy wonderful memories.

Thanks so very much everybody!

Dec. 1997---Contemporary
    Dec. 1999--Poly
    June 2000--Disneyland
    Dec. 2001---Poly Concierge
    Dec. 2003---Poly Concierge
    Dec. 2005---Poly Concierge
    Nov. 2007---Poly Concierge
    Oct. 2008--DisneyLand
    Dec. 2009--Poly Concierge
    Nov. 2010 Disneyland---Disneyland Hotel

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Try the Beach Club .

It is going to be very tough for you as you very accustomed to the Poly but try the Beach Club you won't be disappointed. Its got different vibe but its location and amenities are gold Jerry just gold. (Sorry lame Seinfeld ref) We have enjoyed it immensely

Or do the Grand Floridian.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sorry just re read post

Without kids go GF all the way. Have dinner at V&As and dance the night away. Plus a day at spa.

Post Thanks / Like

if you can afford it, the grand floridian.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Ive never stayed at the GF, so I cant comment on that one. However, have you considered the Yacht and Beach Club? I love it. Ive stayed at every resort besides the GF and the Wilderness Lodge and my favorite is the Y&B. Ending your night at World Showcase and then not having to fight crowds to get back to your resort is awesome. (since you can just walk over) The Contemporart has the same appeal to me, since I can just end my night at MK and then walk over to my hotel. Plus the Contemporary has great views of the MK and if you are on the MK side with a view, when you get back to your room you can draw open the shades and look out at the castle at night. Its beautiful and romantic!
    Everybodys got a laughin place!

Post Thanks / Like

I would say it depends on what park is your favorite and you plan to spend the most time at. For DH and I we love Epcot and usually spend more time there than any other park so we stayed at the Boardwalk Inn last time we did a trip with just us. It was great being able to walk in and out of Epcot easily and when Epcot closed we still had the Boardwalk for later night entertainment. I would say there or the Beach Club because that is an even shorter walk to Epcot. If you like the Magic Kingdom maybe you should try a new place like the Grand Floridian. You can make some new memories together.
    Tinkerfreak
    oct./nov. 2002-AKL
    oct./nov. 2003-WL
    nov. 2004-AKL
    oct./nov. 2005-AKL
    Dec. 2006 BC
    April 2007 AKL
    oct./nov. 2007 AKL/Poly
    oct./nov. 2008 POFQ/AKL
    Nov. 2009 CBR
    May 2010 BW

Post Thanks / Like

You posted "If anybody has stayed at either of these on a regular bases or even just recently could you share the good, the bad and the ugly"

I'm a Beach Club fan as well and I son't think there is ANY bad or ugly. Love the easy access to Epcot and Disney Studios as well as lots of dining opportunities at the BC, YC and Boardwalk. Battled the crowds to the busses at close of Epcot once and will Never do that again. And the pool is great as well. Took the family last year and that stretched the budget a bit (9 people, three rooms) but it was just so convienient and the kids loved the pool.

I see you have stayed concierge on all your visits. We've done the empty nester thing a couple times at the Boardwalk Garden Suites as well and that would be another great alternative for your first trip without kids, especially if you get a 30% off room discount. We were actually booked in one three years ago and ended up getting upgraded to the Steeplechase Suite. It's one of the biggest rooms in Disney. Talk about speechless. The cast member was smiling ear to ear when she took us to that room. And so were we! Quite a culture shock to a guy who drives a brown truck all day. :-)

We did GF once and it wasn't all that wonderful to us. If you want to enjoy that resort a bit just have lunch or dinner their a couple times. Thats what we do.

Enjoy your first trip alone and fall in love all over again!

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

We love the Poly, but if you want to try something different, I would say Beach Club. It is a great atmosphere, nice pool, and since it will just be the two of you, it will be nice to be able to go for nightime walks over to Epcot and roam the countries etc. It will be especially nice if you go during the Food and Wine.
    70's-Days Inn
    80's? Dec-Polynesian/GolF Resort
    1980 Poly
    1987-Off Prop
    Early 90's-CB
    Sept. 2002- Contemporary
    Sept. 2004-WL
    May 2005-Off Prop
    Oct 2005-All Star Music
    Oct 06 POFQ
    Sept 07 BC
    April 08 POFQ
    Sept 08 Poly
    Dec 09 WL
    Sept 10 POR
    Sept. 11 POR
    Sept. 12 BC

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so very much for everybodys in put. I have to admit we are having a heck of a time making up our mind. We are not doing concierge....with our girls it was a good deal but for just the two of us we will not take advantage of it like we did with the girls. We keep bouncing back and forth but hopefully will make up our mind soon

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't stayed at any of those resorts, but have visited all three. Seeing how you've stayed at Poly so often, why not a change of pace and go with Boardwalk, so that instead of being in proximity to MK, you can walk in and out of Epcot at will?

Just an idea.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

I love the Poly and that's where we usually stay but we've also stayed at the Contemporary quite a few times on our October long weekend trips. There are few sights more magical than overlooking the Magic Kingdom from your room. I love sitting on the porch late at night when we get back to our room and watching the castle change colors.
    Diane
    ~•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•~
    When your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme.

Post Thanks / Like

We love the epcot resorts. we love to walk to world showcase at night for dinner. we find the best resort to be the bwi. its is close enough to dhs to walk. we didnt like beach club because very few rooms have balconies. the yacht club was nice but kind of boring.
    good luck, its hard to leave the poly.
    Moe
    1991 CBR, Honeymoon
    2004 POFQ
    2005 BC & Poly
    2006 Yacht Club
    2007 Yacht Club

2009 Boardwalk Inn
    2010 Boardwalk Inn
    2011 Boardwalk Inn

Post Thanks / Like

DH and I have been working on staying at all the resorts and are making pretty good progress. We miss our kids but enjoy the World as much as ever and try to do something a little different each visit. We've stayed at 2 values, all the mods, SSR, AKV(Kidani), Wilderness, all the monorail resorts, and Yacht and Beach. Since MK still has the biggest piece of our hearts, we'd probably put the monorail resorts at the top of our list (love them all like we love our kids, couldn't choose just one) but if EPCOT happens to be your favorite park, I'd agree that Beach (or Yacht) would be hard to beat. One other thing to consider especially if you aren't planning on keeping up a frantic pace; try a split stay. First half at any of the other resorts you're considering; last half back at your beloved Poly.

Post Thanks / Like

Once again thanks to everybody who gave me their input on which resort to choose. My husband and I sat down and made a list and finally decided since we are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary why not stay where we love so we are going to be at the Poly. Next visit we will try one of the epcot resorts. So excited for this trip!

Post Thanks / Like

As someone who has stayed at the Contemp, and the Boardwalk Resorts I say..... you have made a great choice.

My wife and I love the Boardwalk Inn! As a couple, being able to use the "back entrance" to Epcot and just stroll around WS any time you please is great.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Grand Floridian all the way, especially if you like the club level. My wife and I went without the kids for five days and we had an incredible time at GF. The club level was awesome. I agree with everyone about the Epcot resorts, I am just partial to the MK resorts.

Another option that may be fun are the Cabins at Fort Wilderness (my home resort) we love the peace and quiet, the wildlife and the setting.

Hope this helps

Sean
    Sean
    So many Happy Trips!

6/30/12 through 7/10/12 Fort Wilderness!

12/27/11 through 1/4/12 Fort Wilderness!

12/27/10 thorugh 1/4/11 Fort Wilderness!

7/1/10 through 7/14/10 Fort Wilderness!

12/27/09 through 1/4/10 Fort Wilderness!

7/1/10 through 7/11/10 Fort Wilderness!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dtootsie42 View Post
    Once again thanks to everybody who gave me their input on which resort to choose. My husband and I sat down and made a list and finally decided since we are celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary why not stay where we love so we are going to be at the Poly. Next visit we will try one of the epcot resorts. So excited for this trip!

Can't go wrong staying at a place you love.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firefan43 View Post
    Ending your night at World Showcase and then not having to fight crowds to get back to your resort is awesome. (since you can just walk over)
    Agreed. And, walking around the boardwalk and water with lights is very romantic
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

I liked the Contemporary for being within walking distance of our favorite park - MK! The rooms were comfortable and modern. Having the monorail inside the hotel was fun and the restaurants are good too. Something about it seems un-disney-ish though. Maybe its that the theme is that of so many other hotels and that there are conventioneers there. Can't go wrong with any DW hotel IMHO.
    Many visits as child.
    2005 WL, AK
    2006 POLY, CR
    2007 WL
    2008 POFQ
    2009 CSR
    2010 POFQ

*October 2011 POFQ

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: