Quantcast First-time cruiser

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default First-time cruiser

So, I just booked my first-ever cruise on the Dream, for Feb 12-16! So excited and already counting down the time. Anyway, as I have never sailed before, is there anything I need to know? Things to bring, do beforehand, ect? Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Bring everything you need... Quite honestly, on a cruise, you are a prisoner to the cruiselines, so if you might need it, I'd bring it. I think I paid close to $20 for some Aloe one time in the ship store.

Like all things Disney, make all your reservations early (like as soon as you can). Palo was sold out before we got on board last time, but that's OK.

As a first time cruiser, I'd go with whatever the cruiise line offers for shore excursions. It's safer.

And enjoy the cruise... They do nickle and dime you to death it seems, but still I've found cruises to be the best bang for your buck vacation. Disney is a tough one, as their cruises are just price through the roof. Other cruise line are a better value. I'm going on an RCCL cruise in a few weeks and just can't wait to be back on the ocean. Might do another one next year in fact!

Post Thanks / Like

Is it really that bad? We were thinking about going next year for our anniversary, but if it is that bad, we might just wait and go to WDW for Christmas...

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

There's an old saying that "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder". What's great to one person is terrrible to another. What really matters is to make your own observations and draw your own conclusions.

We've been on five DCL cruises (with a sixth coming up) on all three of the DCL ships. Yes, they are more expensive than other lines, but I would hardly say that they "nickle and dime" you. If we felt that way, we certainly wouldn't have stuck with DCL this long.

The best suggestion I can give you right now is to browse through all the posts in this forum, and ask questions! If you haven't already, order the planning DVD from the cruise line; lots of helpful hints there.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Once you cruise, you will be hooked. It is so relaxing. Disney will be great for your first time. If you are flying in to catch your cruise, I would suggest arriving the day before. It will be alot less stress for you. You won't have to worry about a delayed flight. Have fun planning.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info! I will order the planning dvd today
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDisneyDad View Post
    Is it really that bad? We were thinking about going next year for our anniversary, but if it is that bad, we might just wait and go to WDW for Christmas...
    Is what that bad?

Nickle and diming? It depends... If you cruised a few years ago, it's definitely a different style. Used to be, the only thing not included in the price was alcoholic drinks (and gambling, etc). Now, the trend is for specialty restaurants, cover charges, etc. It can be a bit of a shock if you are not expecting it, because the belief by many is that it's all inclusive.

Disney is no better or worse than the other lines. I'm not sure if I can buy into the premium they charge, looking at apples to apples, it's a pretty large difference in price. Disney staterooms I think are better laid out and a bit more spacious, but they are not cavernous by any means. I'm not a fan of the overall ship layout compared to other lines, yet I do like their dining...

Disney does a great job on the cruises, they really do. However, I'm not sure I'm OK with paying them the premium they demand over the other lines. As I've said, it boils down to value...

We'll be on there again at some point, but I'm not rushing back. Their itineraries are actually quite limited compared to the other lines, which is to be expected with only three ships.

Post Thanks / Like

we just got back from a 5 night (Dream) cruise. That was actually our third time. The first couple of times we went to the Atlantis but the last one, we decided to check out the Blue Lagoon Island and we glad we did! We actually liked it better than the Atlantis. I think staying in an inside stateroom is fine, just use the extra money for excursions or just like you mentioned, a day or two at the theme parks before the cruise. We barely stayed in our room and we travelled w/ our 2 girls 7&12y/o.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: