Quantcast The Genius (Magic?) of Splash Mountain

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Genius (Magic?) of Splash Mountain

This is not a new subject, but I wanted to start a thread about how great an attraction Splash Mountain truly is. After all, Disney Imagineers took a questionable story from a controversial movie, and made what arguably could be the signature ride in all their realm.

So, what it your opinion, makes it so great?

You can make a general statement, or point out small details, but I want to hear what you think. Let's hear it!
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The telling of a story is so prominent in this ride, and it's a nice length (not over too fast or too long). I really like how it feels, very leisurely and but still has thrills. And you don't get too wet most of the time ha ha which I like! There is a ton of detail in the ride from the little birhouses to the possums. My son always loves the vultures up at the top before you plunge down into the Briar Patch. I haven't said anything too profound here but I really think it's an enjoyable ride.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I love the ride however I wish the "drop" was an option. My mom would absolutely love this ride however she would have a heart attack on the drop. I think many folks (young and old) miss out on this ride because of the drop.
    º0º emerzmom º0º
    Disney Vacations:
    DL: 81,00,01,02,04,05,06,08
    WDW: 98,99,00,01,02,03(x2),04(x2),05,,07,09,11,12,13(x2 ),14,15,16
    Next trip Nov 2017

Post Thanks / Like

No argument here from Splash's biggest fan. This ride really brings to life Song of the South, and yes I own a not-so-high-quality disc of it. This "dark ride", if you will, tells the story in so much detail, plus it let's you move at a relaxing pace down a lazy river. It's the "river" that makes you feel you're in the South, enjoying all it has to offer. And then, unlike all the other dark rides, it gives you the big thrill and rush at the end.

For me, it's the perfect attraction.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    The telling of a story is so prominent in this ride, and it's a nice length (not over too fast or too long). I really like how it feels, very leisurely and but still has thrills. And you don't get too wet most of the time ha ha which I like! There is a ton of detail in the ride from the little birhouses to the possums. My son always loves the vultures up at the top before you plunge down into the Briar Patch. I haven't said anything too profound here but I really think it's an enjoyable ride.
    Well said. The story, details, and leisurely pace are great features of the ride, as important as that plunge.
    Viva Darth Macho!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    No argument here from Splash's biggest fan. This ride really brings to life Song of the South, and yes I own a not-so-high-quality disc of it. This "dark ride", if you will, tells the story in so much detail, plus it let's you move at a relaxing pace down a lazy river. It's the "river" that makes you feel you're in the South, enjoying all it has to offer. And then, unlike all the other dark rides, it gives you the big thrill and rush at the end.

For me, it's the perfect attraction.
    Good point! The blending of dark ride and thrill ride is what makes SM stand out, then add the story, music and all the details...
    Viva Darth Macho!

Post Thanks / Like

This is a sore spot with me. A very sore spot, indeed! I usually go to WDW during Marathon Weekend. SpM has been closed every Marathon Weekend for as long as I can remember. EVERY ONE!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's the family nature, fun story, the water (especially the drop!), and the song! It's one of my favorite. We have to ride it at least twice every trip!
    2002 ASMo
    2004 Pop
    2005 Pop
    2006 Pop
    2008 Pop
    2010 Pop
    2011 Pop
    2013 Off Property

Post Thanks / Like

Default Splash Mountain...

A tiny detail I love...the paper-looking red lamp shades...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi Q View Post
    A tiny detail I love...the paper-looking red lamp shades...
    Interesting! On what part of the ride are they found? I've probably seen them but failed to make note...good detail!
    Viva Darth Macho!

Post Thanks / Like

As a southern girl who saw the movie as a child....I must say I love, love, love this ride. Tons of sweet memories and a fun ride too.
    Happy Campers!
    Brad, Laurie, Lee 23, Evan 16 & pups Bailey & Molly, +1 crazy cat named Tyber

You spent three days lying on a beach, drinking rum?... Welcome to the Caribbean, Love. (ie. Elizabeth Swan & Captain Jack Sparrow)

Post Thanks / Like

it's my favorite ride. It's perfect, and what makes it so perfect is the small things...the details.. the details in the que, the ride, the songs, the set, everytihng.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

The big drop is the climax, but the smaller drops build in significance as they lead to the big drop, an escalation in the thrills of the ride that matches the progression of the story. So, without the drops, the story would be less. The attraction would be less. This is one ride that doesn't offer thrills simply for thrills sake, but marries the thrills to story in perfect harmony.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

It's just the perfect ride for Walt Disney World should be. The story, the music, the detail. It's a subtle combination of dark ride and thrill ride. It gets a little creepy at times but it ultimately ends happily. Has anyone read the story of how Splash Mountain came to be? Oh that Rackety Raccoon!

Post Thanks / Like

Splash is our family's favorite WDW attraction, also. What makes it so special for us?

1. It has great songs. Fun, happy sing-along, songs. It is almost impossible to sing "zippity doo dah, what a wonderful day" while riding the final section of this attraction at the Magic Kingdom and not feel happy.

2) It has classic characters and tells a story

3) It is a long ride about 10 minutes, so its worth waiting for, even without a fast pass.

4) As others have said, it combines indoor dark ride scenes and spookiness feel with big thrills (the plunge), plus it has outdoor sections with great views of the MK.

5) It's cool on the inside on hot summer days, and it gets you wet. Great summer fun!

6) Did I mention it has great songs?

7) It's full of magic.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

LAFITTE, LA, UNITED STATES( 674 MILES AWAY)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emerzmom View Post
    I think many folks (young and old) miss out on this ride because of the drop.
    I think the drop is a big part of what makes this attraction special, the anticipation of the drop makes you miss some details, and that in turn makes you go back again and again noticing all the details you missed because you were so worried about the drop, and thats what makes it magic!!!!
    Jimmy

Co-Host: The Disney Nerds Podcast

Post Thanks / Like

I like the little gopher that pops out of the ceiling and shouts FSU!
    Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow. Your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring!

Post Thanks / Like

Splash Mountain may just be the perfect WDW attraction it mixes a great story that is part dark ride and part thrill ride! It definitely was high mark of imagineering.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

This is the best Log Flume ride. EVER. Like so many others have said, great music, great story, mid level thrills. Deffinate E ticket. Of the many classic rides that could use updating, I dont think this is one of them.
    1982 MK
    1988 MK & Epcot
    1989 MK & Epcot
    2002 MK, Epcot and Disney MGM Studios
    2006 DL
    2008 MK, Epcot and DHS (Best trip EVER)

Booked- 5 year wedding aniv at Port Orleans Riverside April 20-22 2012

Planned Chirstmas 2012 offsite

Second Star to the right and straight on till morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, what a great question! I've thought about this too. We NEVER tire of this ride.

Here's my take:

1. It's longer than many rides! Of course, if not for all of the great features, that wouldn't be a plus! But this one just has so many details and various great "feels" to it and it goes on and on.
    2. The music is contagious.
    3. There are so many funny things throughout the ride -- intentional and unintentional. One thing my DH, two DDs and I always get a kick out of is turning around and watching Brer Rabbit duck back down into position before popping up again when the next log boat goes by...for some reason we find it funny the way he does his little u-turn! (this is on the left side when Brer Rabbit is leaving with his stick and bandanna pouch slung over his shoulder).
    4. There are too many cute things to count -- the characters and their little squeaky voices!
    5. The drops. I agree that the last one could be a tad less dramatic (but that's just me - my DDs and DH LOVE that drop) but I love the way the drops build and build toward that last scary (to me) fall.

The two things I wish were different about Splash Mountain are a) the smelly rubber hand rests in front of you (I can't imagine how germy those things are! BLECCHH ) and b) how freezing cold they keep it inside that ride! BRRRRR....especially when you get wet!

Ahhh...can't wait to go back in November!
    Last edited by mousetrapper; 06-01-2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typo
    **mousetrapper**

CBR Oct. 1999
    Poly Nov. 2001
    CBR Oct. 2003
    BC Oct. 2004
    CBR Sept. 2005
    Poly Thanksgiving Week 2007
    CBR Nov. 2009
    Port Orleans Nov. 2011
    CBR May/June 2013
    AoA Sept. 2013