Quantcast Is a 3 night cruise even worth it????

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is a 3 night cruise even worth it????

So we are in the early planning phases for a trip back to WDW next May for my husband to compete in the Florida Ironman race. The race is on Sunday, May 20th. There is a cruise leaving on Thursday, May 24th, but its only a 3 night cruise. We could have 6 nights in WDW, followed by the 3 night cruise. Sounds like a great vacation, but I'm worried we won't feel like we've had enough time on the cruise. On the other hand I'm thinking that maybe a 3 nighter will be plenty to "test" my motion sick prone kid, who has never cruised before. I'd much rather find out he can't tolerate a cruise on a 3 night than a 7, or even 5, night cruise. Can anyone who has done a 3 night Disney cruise tell me if they enjoyed the cruise or were not satisfied with the short amount of time? Thanks!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Our first cruise was a 3 night cruise after 5 days at WDW. We did it to see if we would even like cruising. It was wonderful! It gave us time to relax and be pampered after running around WDW for 5 days. I highly recommend it.
    Jodi șoș

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the previous poster. I've done a couple of 3 day cruises and it was a nice way to wind down after a few crazy days in the parks. The only thing about a 3 day cruise is that if you want to go to all three dining rooms and Palo, it does make it a bit challenging in making decisions.
    Melissa

Disneyland - too many times to count
    Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    4 day Cruise Wonder 2000-2001 (New Years Cruise) Honeymoon
    Beach Club 2000 Honeymoon
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Post Thanks / Like

Me, I say no... I've found even a 7 day cruise is too short. 11 is about right, you're ready to come home, but not sick of it yet.

A 3 day cruise, especially a Disney one, would be too short. You're not even sure where the dining room is yet, and for the money, I'd rather have a little more time to enjoy the ship before they kick you off. And in my experience on a ship, they literally kick you off, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say it would be a good "test" cruise. That is a big concern for me as well when it comes to my kids...not sure they'd like being "trapped" on a boat, and I'd hate to find out the hard way on a longer voyage! I think with 6 days at WDW prior, a 3 day cruise will be a nice way to wind down.

As much as I love cruises, I can't fathom ever spending more than 7 nights on a cruise ship, no matter how large it is! I get a bit tired of being at sea after a week...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Me, I say no... I've found even a 7 day cruise is too short. 11 is about right, you're ready to come home, but not sick of it yet.
    DH and I have cruised before, just not the kiddos. I can honestly say I would not want to be on any cruise for 11 nights. But your right, you definitely get the "kicked off" feeling at the end of a cruise.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Post Thanks / Like

We did a 3-night cruise with the idea of seeing how DS woud react (seasickness, like the kids' club, etc.) We both felt it was too short but we would have never known how much we like cruising without having done those 3 nights.

I'd say give it a try.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

That was our story too. We always thought we wouldn't want to forgo WDW for a cruise so the three day is a nice alternative. But now we're hooked and going back for our second cruise this weekend!
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replys. I feel better about it already. We'd never do a 3 night cruise on its own, but coupled with a trip to WDW makes sense. I guess since our dates revolve around DHs race its basically the 3 night cruise or none at all, at least for now. With one of the old ships going to Galveston, Texas, less than 4 hours from home, we are looking into cruising on that ship for a 7 night cruise either Thanksgiving 2012, or Easter 2013, if the ship stays in Galveston till late spring.

And of course it'll all depend on how DS does with his first cruise. I'd much rather find out he can't tolerate cruising on the 3 night cruise than on the 7 night cruise. He's always had motion sickness, mostly car sickness. When he was younger I couldn't drive more than 30 minutes without him getting sick and having to pull over to change/clean him. As he got older its gotten better, but there are still times we have to roll down the window or pull over for a break. And many rides in WDW get him sick.
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

My first cruise was a 3 nighter on the Wonder. I had a great time. Since you are already close to the port I would do it. We would require purchasing airfare to do it; so that would not be worth it. Is there anything he can take? I take a less drowsy dramamine and it works great. Enjoy planning.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wildernesslady View Post
    My first cruise was a 3 nighter on the Wonder. I had a great time. Since you are already close to the port I would do it. We would require purchasing airfare to do it; so that would not be worth it. Is there anything he can take? I take a less drowsy dramamine and it works great. Enjoy planning.
    I'm sure if we looked into it there are plenty of things he could take. Its just hard to know if, or how well, it will help him should he need it.
    Denise

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    I'm sure if we looked into it there are plenty of things he could take. Its just hard to know if, or how well, it will help him should he need it.
    I usually start taking the dramamine two days before I get on the ship. It really has worked well for me. Once you are on the ship and there is an issue, it may be too late. Last cruise we went to Disney after and were going to Epcot our first day. I took the dramamine an extra day just so I could ride Mission Space. It was great and I had no motion issues.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

We've done three 7 nights and one 3 night. We did two 7 nights before the 3 night. Two observations from our experiences:

1. Our seven night cruises have more motion issues because the boats have to go farther in a shorter period of time. So more people were The three night cruise only went to the Bahamas, not so far away, so it moved slower. Thus less motion and more
    2. The three night cruises are short. I felt like as soon as I unpacked my bag, I had to pack it back again. You don't have enough time to really take in all the boat has to offer. But it does give you an idea about cruising and if you'd like to pay for a week long one later.

Good luck and have fun!
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

We LOVED the 3-night cruise after 4 days @ the parks. It was a great, refreshing way to end our vacation!!
    2002 All-Star
    2004 Port Orleans
    2008 Port Orleans & Disney Wonder

2011 Port Orleans & Beach Club
    2012 Beach Club
    2013 Port Orleans & Boardwalk
    2014 Grand Floridian
    2015 Port Orleans
    2015 Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that as a combination parks and cruise experience, doing the 3-day would be a fun, relaxing finale for your vacation.

Have you tried the acupressure wrist bands for DS? They supposedly stimulate a trigger point on the wrist that helps with motion sickness. I've experimented just pressing on that point before when I was feeling queasy, and it did seem to help somewhat. If they work, it's an easy fix with no worries about drug side effects, and if they don't, you're not really any worse off. I think they're called "SeaBands." You could try them in the car before you go and see if they help.

Happy trip planning!
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: