Quantcast Grand Gathering at OKW Grand Villa, The End!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Grand Gathering at OKW Grand Villa, The End!

Sadly, the time has come… yes; it’s my final trip report! Check out the last part, and if you’d like to see how it all began and who was along for the ride check out part 1.

Our final day at WDW was Sunday, April 4th. It was a spectacular day, with brilliant sunshine and highs in the eighties. We slept in as we got home late from MK after Wishes the night before. We got packed, called luggage services and we were out the door for the last time at about 10:30am. When we checked our luggage in we were the only ones in line! By the time we were done, there was quite a line that had formed… GOOD NEWS: you can now use RAC for Southwest at OKW. Last I had read they weren’t ready to implement it yet, but we were all checked in and ready to go!

We took the boat to DTD, shopped for a bit, had lunch at The Earl of Sandwich and headed back to OKW by boat. DD2 was out cold and they let us keep the stroller open on the boat. When we got back my DH, DP, DD1 and I went for a swim at the main pool. It was quite crowded and nothing special – I preferred the quiet pool by our villa. After swimming we tried to use up the last of our credits from the DDP (we bought some strangers lunch with our left over CS credits at DTD). Our time for the ME came way too soon, and we were off to MCO.

Flights were on time, we got to Denver around 8pm, and we were home by 1am (which was like 3am to our bodies since we’d been on EST for over a week). Yes, we had to work the next day- 6 am came way too soon!

So that was our amazing trip… I mentioned this in the pre-trip report, but I want to say it again: THANK YOU MOM AND DAD! This trip was “sponsored” by my DM (Pirate Granny) and my DP. It was so wonderful and I can’t wait to do it all again in 2014!

Here are some of my general thoughts about everything:

OKW
    LOVED IT! And so did everyone else… So my DM bought points there!!!! My sisters and I are also on the contract so that we can take over as time goes on…. And so we can communicate with the DVC people as well as get annual pass discounts, etc. We’re currently waiting on Disney to decide if we can buy our points for the agreed upon price (known as ROFR).

The remodel of the rooms was nice, I do like the new colors and how they did finish the furniture, but I have to say that they really should’ve replaced the appliances. They were OLD. I also think they could’ve re-surfaced the cabinets, or even re-hung them. The cabinets in our kitchen were very crooked and not level. Some of the tile is really out dated, for example in all the showers/bath areas it’s one big ugly piece of orange tub surround. And the bathrooms had lots of ground dirt in the edges of the tiles. Over all it is what I’d call a lipstick fix. I’m ok with it, but they are going to need to do more work on them imho, sometime in the near future.

DDP/ Dining Experiences
    I have to say I really wish you had a choice between dessert and an appetizer. I also think it would be great if you could get a plan without dessert. I felt I had to eat it because we paid for it, and in particular at the CS locations, the options are not great. I have a feeling that the next time we go (June of next year), I won’t want the DDP. I’d much prefer to have just a few select TS meals, and then try to find more variety in our choices for the CS meals. I also don’t think I want to do much more than one character meal. It was way too much to mind two small children, eat food, and get good pictures and autographs from the characters. I figure if we hit up the Character Spot in Epcot right at open we can catch the Fab 5, go to the Pooh and Tigger meet and greet as soon as DAK opens, see Duffy and then do one of the Castles, and that would be more than enough characters for my girls.

Photopass
    We pre-purchased the CD, and DM just ordered it a couple nights ago… Although we got a fair amount of pictures at Epcot and MK, we didn’t get as many at DHS and DAK due to the horrible weather. In fact I don’t think we got ANY at DAK. What really made me angry were the borders. As we went through and edited the photos we noticed Disney really cut back on the available borders. I couldn’t get the “my first visit” border on the one pic I have of just my DH, myself and DD2. It was really disappointing; because the last trip (6/2009) we had great border choices!

Crowds
    The crowds were NUTS! Not quite as bad as our 2004 Christmas trip, but still pretty busy. We watched the numbers on Touring Plans go up and up as the departure date of our trip approached. We were supposed to have crowd levels of 4-6 and they ended up at 8-10… Touring Plans also frequently changed their “Best Park” Worst Park” recommendations and that was annoying as well. We were able to get to almost everything we wanted to do, but we had very few repeats…

Well, I think that about wraps it up. Thanks to everyone who read my reports, I loved reading your comments…. I can’t wait until our next trip (June of 2012) as first time DVC owners! Until then, I’ll just have to live vicariously through all your reports!
    Maggie
    DVC Member @ OKW & BCV

Mamma to DD's E and C
    CR 80
    POLY 84
    FW 91
    POFQ 04~Last trip w/Gramps
    POP 07~E's 1st Trip
    GF & SOG 08~(Not My)Disney Wedding
    POFQ 08~BIG Family Vacation
    POP 09~Just the Girls
    BCV 10~1 Night @WDW
    OKW GV 11~C's 1st Trip
    BLT/OKW 12~Surprise!

2014 OKW/?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Maggie,

Thanks for your awesome reports! Sounds like you truly had a magical time with your family!!
    So cool of your parents to do that for their kids and grandkids!

Thanks for sharing your Disney Adventure with us!

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

I read this one first but I'm going back now to read your previous repoerts.

I can relate to your thoughts on the Dining Plan. We qualified for a free plan a couple of years ago in October and I felt like we spent more time eating than in the attractions during our long weekend. I also over ate because it was all "free" so I felt compelled.

I enjoyed reading. Thanks!
    Diane
    ~•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•*•.•~
    When your heart is in your dream, no request is too extreme.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grand Gathering at OKW Grand Villa, The End!

What a wonderful report. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to your June 2012 trip report.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved all your trip reports. Sounds like it was a wonderful family vacation.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoyed reading your reports, thanks for sharing
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Great reports. You will love DVC. Enjoy.
    OS 12/76,7/82,3/85
    FW 8/89
    POR 8/95,8/98,11/00,1/4,10/10
    AS 3/211/3,11/5,11/7,11/12
    BCV/YC 7/3,10/14
    VWL 7/3,5/4,5/5,1/6,10/6,3/7,1/8,10/8,3/9,10/9,3/11,10/13
    OKW 12/4,10/11
    POP 5/6
    CS 5/6,12/9
    BWV 10/7,5/11
    DCL 5/6,1/12,7/12,10/12,3/13
    SSR 7/7
    POFQ 3/11
    BLT 1/12
    GC 9/7,2/15
    AUL 2/15

Post Thanks / Like

Great report- thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the Reports!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

I loved reading your reports! Thanks for the opinions on everything! Sounds like you had a wonderful trip.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Maggie, it's been really fun to tag along with the whole gang. I'm so glad it was everything you wanted it to be - and more. How exciting about purchasing DVC @ OKW!

Thanks for sharing each experience with us through your detailed trip reports. I really enjoyed them!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Have you heard back from Disney about the Right of First Refusal?

Thanks for your reports - I've enjoyed traveling with you and your family.

Sorry to hear you were disappointed with the available borders. I just got back and haven't yet had a chance to check them out.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: