Quantcast BLT vs. AKV

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: BLT vs. AKV

Post Thanks / Like

Default BLT vs. AKV

We're looking into DVC and are having trouble deciding on a home resort. We like the rooms better at AKV, but like the location of BLT. What are your opinions?
    Last Trip-April 2008-Boardwalk Inn
    Next Trip-October 2017-POFQ

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We had the same choices when we bought in January. I thought my husband would have picked AKL (more his style), but instead he chose BLT. His thinking was, BLT as our home resort allows us to book at the 11 month mark. We were told that the rooms at BLT book up fast, and having that as our home resort we'd have a better chance to get a resssie. Also liked the location better.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

Default BLT vs. AKV

This is a tough one. Many people say buy where you want to stay. That makes sense. However I really like both of these properties. One reason we decided on BLT (and there were other reasons as well) is because we thought it would be much easier to book into AKL at the 7 month window than BLT.

BLT is a small property and in my experience does fill up fast. AKL is very large and although we have never been able to get a concierge room at the 7 month window we have always been able to get a room there even closer to our booking time than 7 months.

We actually prefer to stay at BLT in the end so would not want to be disappointed to not be able to get in at the 7 month window. Sometimes we stay at AKL for the 1st 2 nights of our vacation and then switch over. That seems to work for us.

Hope this is helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

We personally bought in at AKL because you can stay there on less points and the price point was cheaper. We also like being able to book concierge level at an affordable point level 11 months out. That being said we've used our AKL points to stay at BLT, Boardwalk and Saratoga with no problem at the 7 month booking window, we are happy with our decision.
    Lesley

Post Thanks / Like

We own at SSR. We have stayed at SSR, the THV at SSR, WL and AKV Kidani. We tried last year and are on the waiting list this year for BLT. We are at the 180 day mark and are still on the wait list for BLT in October ( a much higher demand time for DVC due to low points). We have never had to waitlist for AKL. But, we're hoping and praying to get into BLT.

So, I suggest to buy BLT because of the high demand. If - I mean when - we purchase add-on points, it will probably be at BLT (or Hawaii).
    Jennifer - Proud DVC Owner
    DW of MyDisneyWorld; Mom of DDs (8) and (6)
    04/00 - 03 = off property
    09/03 ASMu, 09/04 POP, 12/05, 09/06 SSR
    10/07 VWL, 10/09 - THV, 10/10, 10/11 - AKL, 10/12 -THV, 02/13- CBR/CSR, 9/13 - BWV/BLT
    Next Up: Spring Break 4/'14 - BLT and Star Wars Weekend 5/'14 - BCV

Post Thanks / Like

We are staying at both locations next week,
    I will find the pros and cons soon
    Gareth șoșwen

DVC Member - My Home Resorts: AKV

Previous visits:
    1991, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2001, 2005, DLParis 2006, 2007, 2008 AKV, 2011 Baylake & AKV, 2011 Saratoga, 2013 AKV & Saratoga, 2014 Saratoga & Keywest, 2015 Keywest & Saratoga, 2016 COMING SOON

Post Thanks / Like

We also bought into BLT because of its location, I did like AK better with the decor but had to go with the monorail hotel, We were planning for the future when we are "older." We stayed at both resorts last year and it was really nice to walk 7 minutes and be at the gates to MK, Especially at the end of the night when lines were long for monorail.
    12-AKV (Jun)
    11-BLT (Nov)
    10-AKV (Jun) BLT (Nov)
    09-New DVC member @BLT
    09-SSR ( Dec)
    08-POFQ (Halloween)
    07-AS Music (Halloween)
    06-AS Movies (Halloween)
    05-AS Movies (Apr)
    01-2003 Off Site
    00-CS (5 year anniversary)
    97-AS Sports (friends wedding)
    95-Dixie Landings (honeymoon)

Post Thanks / Like

We had the same debate and AKL won. We chose AKL because the cost was cheaper and we enjoy staying there. We also liked that you can stay longer at AKL because the points to stay there are less and they have concierge available at 11 months which we also enjoy. That being said we love the location of BLT and were able to get a reservation there at 7 months no problem, so we are very happy with our AKL purchase!
    Lesley

Post Thanks / Like

When we bought into the BLT we had the same choice .
    We plumped for the BLT over AKV and we found it an easy choice ... The reasons being

More variety ( next to the CR so like use of the pools )
    Rooms were bright and cheerful
    Next to fireworks
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014 2017 BLT
    Dec 2012 2015 2016 2018 OKW
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: