Quantcast How many days make an annual pass worth it?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How many days make an annual pass worth it?

How many days make an annual pass worth it?

I thought I had heard 11 days...but I look at the 10 day price and thats only $262, right? Versus $500 for an annual pass? So wouldn't it be be better to get 11 days? (though I see there is no 11 day pass - I assume would be 10 day, then back to a 1 day? how would that work?)

Can someone straighten me out?

(I should add that we would not be park hopping, nor would we use any of the water parks)
    10/13 - ASSp
    06/13 - POR
    03/13 - COR
    12/12 - POR
    10/12 - AoA
    04/12 - POP
    02/12 - POP, Dream, ASMo
    11/11 - All Star Vacation Home & FWC
    5/11 - POFQ - D23 Destination D
    05/10 - POR & BC
    1976 - 1st visit & many childhood visits after!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

A huge benefit of the A/P is the "hopping" option. If you were to add that to the price of a 10-day base ticket, your price would go up from $271 or thereabouts to $323 per The Official Ticket Center pricing (an INTERCOT sponsor). If you need an extra day, you need to start over with a one-day ticket, which would be an additional $92.33, bringing your total for 11 days to $363.33 with the non-hopping option. Add hoppers, and you're looking at $472.84 for a total of 11 days.

Now, if you absolutely will not be hopping, then buy the 10 days plus 1 day ticket & it will definitely be cheaper. However, as you can see, once you add the park hopping option to 11 days, the A/P becomes more attractive.

I should add that with tax, I believe a current A/P is $531 or thereabouts.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

oh thank you thank you thank you. That clears it up for me!
    10/13 - ASSp
    06/13 - POR
    03/13 - COR
    12/12 - POR
    10/12 - AoA
    04/12 - POP
    02/12 - POP, Dream, ASMo
    05/10 - POR & BC

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on whether you are planning to visit on more than one trip to WDW during a 12 month period. If you are planning only one long trip, you can get a 10 day pass (expires 14 days after first use) for $271.00 (OTC price) and a 3 day pass for $237.00 (total $508.00) That is less than the regular annual pass price of $531.44. So that means you can spend 13 days in the parks on one long trip for less than the cost of the AP.

But if you are going on more than one trip, you'd have to buy the non-expiring park passes to use them beyond 14 days. The 10 day non-expiring pass is $480.00. Adding one more day with an expiring pass (use it on your first visit) would add an additional $92.53, which totals $572.53, which is $40 over the cost of an AP. And as the previous poster stated, the AP includes hopping privileges.

So if you are just visiting once in a 12 month period, you can get 13 park admissions (non-hopper) for less than an AP. But you have to use them all on that one trip. More than one trip and the AP is the way to go for more than 11 or more of park admissions.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!

We are going in November, and might spend as many as 10 days in parks. And we had thought we would go again August 2012, but I think we might be nixing that trip. We've added a cruise in Feb. 2012. (not sure if we will do any Disney days, good chance we won't) And I am pretty confident we will make a DisneyLAND visit in May 2012. So all these trips might make the August 2012 not happen.

Buuuuutttt...that kind of leads me to another question....if we are going to Disneyland too, in the same 12 month period, are there any extra perks that would make the premium pass worth it? When I looked at Disneyland tickets, I think it will be approx $180 for 4 park days? So, that adding $200 to WDW AP for that upgrade , might be worth it for any perks.
    (I will have an annual pass for this year, bought it because I will also be doing a trip in May solo for D23. So maybe only I would upgrade to premium? Just do tickets for the rest of the family?)
    10/13 - ASSp
    06/13 - POR
    03/13 - COR
    12/12 - POR
    10/12 - AoA
    04/12 - POP
    02/12 - POP, Dream, ASMo
    05/10 - POR & BC

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to consider is the price break on the room. If you purchase an AP, WDW usually offers room discounts at select times. Moreover, to qualify for the AP room rate, only one adult member need have the pass. I would purchase one AP and try to get a discounted room. Then purchase length-of-stay tickets for the other members staying with you.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCRKTW459 View Post

Buuuuutttt...that kind of leads me to another question....if we are going to Disneyland too, in the same 12 month period, are there any extra perks that would make the premium pass worth it? When I looked at Disneyland tickets, I think it will be approx $180 for 4 park days? So, that adding $200 to WDW AP for that upgrade , might be worth it for any perks.
    (I will have an annual pass for this year, bought it because I will also be doing a trip in May solo for D23. So maybe only I would upgrade to premium? Just do tickets for the rest of the family?)
    If you will be going to DL, get the Premium Pass. Definitely. It functions as a Premium Pass at DLR, so you have no blackout dates to contend with. In addition, the Premium Pass at DL offers a MULTITUDE of discounts (more than what they offer at WDW). For example, 15% off at ALL Disney in park dining, 15% merchandise discount resort wide (Disney owned stores and carts), free parking (if you need that), DLR hotel room discounts (as deep as 40%), 20% discount on tours, and discounts at almost every Downtown Disney restaurant and store! (usually 10%). In addition, the major restaurants and some shops at the nearby Garden Walk Anaheim offer Disneyland AP discounts (20% off at California Pizza Kitchen is one that I know of for sure).

I think this Disney Parks premium pass is a wonderful option for those taking vacations on both coasts in one year!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

i can't find anything on member benefits for annual pass holders. we go every year and it never occured to me to get this. we are going for 10 days this oct and will probably go again next year around the same time.

Nichole
    2000 - asmu (1st trip) AUG
    2001 - Off site OCT
    2002 - 2008 POP JAN YEARLY
    2009 - Saratoga Springs SEPT
    2010 - POP NOV 28 - DEC 3
    2011 - POP - OCT 10days
    2013 - POP Feb 23rd - Mar 2nd (originally booked AOA but my family doesn't like change I guess lol)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nfrustaci View Post
    i can't find anything on member benefits for annual pass holders. we go every year and it never occured to me to get this. we are going for 10 days this oct and will probably go again next year around the same time.
    never mind i found it.... not too appealing for me..but thanks, the only benefit is saving 200 for next years trip.

Nichole
    2000 - asmu (1st trip) AUG
    2001 - Off site OCT
    2002 - 2008 POP JAN YEARLY
    2009 - Saratoga Springs SEPT
    2010 - POP NOV 28 - DEC 3
    2011 - POP - OCT 10days
    2013 - POP Feb 23rd - Mar 2nd (originally booked AOA but my family doesn't like change I guess lol)

Post Thanks / Like

I was so excited when I checked on my Destination D trip next month, that POFQ had an annual passholder discount for my days! If Disneyland 2012 or WDW August 2012 don't happen, I will do like you suggest, MrPetrie, and do just the tickets for the rest of the family, and cross my fingers for a passholder discount with my pass for our November trip.

But!...
    WOW! Thanks Natalie!! That sounds TOTALLY worth the upgrade to Premium if Disneyland is a go for May 2012!!! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing all that info!!! Sounds like, even if I was almost at an even or less cost wise for between paying just for park days in tickets (10 days WDW & 4 DL), the benefits of the Premier pass are worth it!! And if my reading is right, the Premier gets us into Disney Quest and the Water parks too?! Wouldn't have planned on doing them, but if this pass covers it, would totally pencil those in!

thank you thank you thank you!
    10/13 - ASSp
    06/13 - POR
    03/13 - COR
    12/12 - POR
    10/12 - AoA
    04/12 - POP
    02/12 - POP, Dream, ASMo
    05/10 - POR & BC

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the Premier pass functions as the highest level pass at both WDW and DLR. So, you would get water parks, Disney Quest, etc. at WDW.

It's definitely a steal.

And, correction, the merchandise discount is 20% with the Disneyland premium AP, not 15.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCRKTW459 View Post
    Thank you!

We are going in November, and might spend as many as 10 days in parks. And we had thought we would go again August 2012, but I think we might be nixing that trip. We've added a cruise in Feb. 2012. (not sure if we will do any Disney days, good chance we won't) And I am pretty confident we will make a DisneyLAND visit in May 2012. So all these trips might make the August 2012 not happen.

I have always been under the impression that a Annual Pass is only good for Disneyworld if purchased for Disneyworld. And that you would have to purchase a separate Annual Pass for DisneyLAND. Is this correct or can you use the same pass at both parks?
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

A huge benefit of the A/P is the "hopping" option.
    ditto

Kyle

Wilderness Lodge July 10-24, 2011!
    11 Annual Trips and Counting

Post Thanks / Like

Magic Smiles-- there is a new pass that is a combined one for both parks. I think it costs $700 but if you happen to be on both coasts in a years time, it may be a good deal.

As for the original question-- I think an annual pass is worth it. I don't know where you live but we've purchased them at least 3 times even living in Nebraska, and will do so again in September. We have often ended up in Florida again for bowl games, family trips, and we're taking a cruise next April so we'll make it at least one night in Disney again as well. Plus, we do utilize some of the discounts. That 2nd trip is so much cheaper when your tickets are already paid for. Good luck.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you again for ALL your input.

I have purchased the annual pass for myself, as I will be there for May and November. I'm not sure yet about the rest of the family, we MAY go again in August - so 2 trips between Nov. 2011 and Aug 2012. (my AP will have expired come May 2012) But thankfully, with me having one for November, we will get to enjoy all the perks for that trip.

I called ticketing yesterday with questions about the Premier Pass - that's the one that gives you BOTH Disneyworld and Disneyland admission. We MAY do a spring Disneyland trip instead of that August WDW trip. It is $700 for the Premier and I found out that it gives you the Premium benefits for WDW. Meaning you can get into Disney Quest and the Waterparks with it as well. I reallllly need to figure out if we will be doing DL in Spring or WDW next August before our November trip.

Huge thanks again!!!
    10/13 - ASSp
    06/13 - POR
    03/13 - COR
    12/12 - POR
    10/12 - AoA
    04/12 - POP
    02/12 - POP, Dream, ASMo
    05/10 - POR & BC

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago, four of us guys went down to WDW. One of us had an Annual Pass. The deal we got on a 2 bedroom suite at Saratoga Springs and the level of quality we received at that resort simply would have been out of our reach. The Annual Pass clearly paid for itself in that one trip.

Consider.
    1975 & 1977 - Summer - Disneyland
    1991 April - WDW
    1993 April - WDW
    2006 June - Saratoga Springs
    2007 July – Saratoga Springs
    2010 February - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2010 October – AKL Jambo
    2011 July - Old Key West
    2013 October - OKW
    2015 September - AKL Jambo
    2016 September - AKL Jambo

Post Thanks / Like

We bought the Premier pass for our April trip to WDW (we live in California). It was definitely worth it! My husband and son went to Disney Quest at least five times and we hit every park at least once, twice for MK & Epcot. Just having the option to change our plans was worth it for me.

Something I learned after our trip - there's something called 'Tables in Wonderland' that gives pass holders a discount on food. Since Disneyland gave the discount, I didn't think to research this, but we figured that WDW does the dining plan, so they don't automatically give a discount on dining. Just something for you to check out.

Also, we saved 40% on our hotels with the pass. That more than made up for the cost of the passes.

As a bonus, I'm planning a short trip for my son and I to go back to WDW in December. If I didn't have the passes, we wouldn't be able to go. I like that flexibility.

Have fun!

2000 - Infinity: DLR Premium Annual Passholder
    Sixty minutes from my front door to Sleeping Beauty's Castle!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
    Something I learned after our trip - there's something called 'Tables in Wonderland' that gives pass holders a discount on food. Since Disneyland gave the discount, I didn't think to research this, but we figured that WDW does the dining plan, so they don't automatically give a discount on dining. Just something for you to check out.
    Just to note: The "Tables In Wonderland" card will cost you and additional $75, so you may want to balance that cost against the discounts you would receive on food based on your normal eating habits. Most people say that it is really worth the price in that it, unlike the DDP, covers adult beverages, whereas the DDP does not.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again everyone!

I am definitely going to pick up the TiW card when I go down there. We always opt for the room only discounts, not the dining plans, so this card will be a great option for us!
    10/13 - ASSp
    06/13 - POR
    03/13 - COR
    12/12 - POR
    10/12 - AoA
    04/12 - POP
    02/12 - POP, Dream, ASMo
    05/10 - POR & BC

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't see it mentioned above, but another nice benefit of the Annual Pass is free parking at the parks (in case you stay off property, or want to drive to a park to save some time). Also, if you get the TiW card, that allows for free valet parking at resorts if you're going to eat. A couple nice benefits.

We're getting APs for our trip this July (12 days). Then we'll be going down (adults only) for Food & Wine in October (5 days), and again next summer for another 11 days before the pass runs out.

I haven't crunched the numbers, but I know for sure that the pass saves you some money when you're going to WDW for 28 days in a calendar year

Even more when you like eating and drinking constantly and the TiW is saving you 20% per meal.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: