Quantcast Mousekeeping Tipping - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

okay I do tip everyday...but we also leave gifts from our homestate..I get postcards and write on the to "mousekeeping"..thanks and such..I have left Blueberry jam..not homemade Stonewall kitchen made here in maine...different Lobster treats.. funny stuff... Like I said I do leave $.... But it was fun to have them safe thank you for the sea dollars and shells from Maine.

well just remember If you were working in thier shoes what would you like for a tip
    Just keep swimming Just keep swimming

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimsgal05 View Post
    okay I do tip everyday...but we also leave gifts from our homestate..I get postcards and write on the to "mousekeeping"..thanks and such..I have left Blueberry jam..not homemade Stonewall kitchen made here in maine...different Lobster treats.. funny stuff... Like I said I do leave $.... But it was fun to have them safe thank you for the sea dollars and shells from Maine.

well just remember If you were working in thier shoes what would you like for a tip
    Awesome tip! I love Intercot - it reminds me that nice people like you still exist, and think about your fellow (wo)man!
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Last Oct. when we wer there we stayed at Beach Club. There was 4 of us all women. We always needed extra wash clothes. Our Mousekeeper was great she gave us extra shampoo and conditioner plus bath gel and lotion. We had made our envelopes up for every day ahead of time. The day we checkexd out we happened to run into her. Each one of us
    gave her an extra amount because we wanted her to know how much we appreciated all the extras. I also called housekeeping to tell them what a great job Sally did for us. I know you don't have to tip it is just something I feel like doing. I think it lets them know you appreciate the extra thing they do.
    Next trip Oct. 2013 Yatch Club Resort club level

Post Thanks / Like

I have never tipped mousekeeping and have always had good service - even had the towel animals made on the beds and my neices toys arranged nicely
    Mind you I do not like tipping full stop. No one tips me for my work! Sorry if that makes me a mean person
    Jo

Next trip Sept 2014 - POFQ
    Oct 2011 - POFQ
    Oct 2009 - POFQ
    April 2008 - off site
    Nov 2006 - CBR
    March 2005 - Disneyland Paris
    Oct 2004 - AKL
    April 2003 - off site
    Dec 1997 - off site
    June 1995 - Disney California

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoF View Post
    No one tips me for my work! Sorry if that makes me a mean person
    I don't think it makes you a mean person. It's simply different personal experiences. I have also had the housekeeping experience in younger years, and know first hand the wonderful feeling a tip produces. Thus, I tip. Unless the service is rotten. And then I most definitely speak to a manager.

I have also worked in food service and as a store clerk. While I don't tip those people I do try to treat every person whose job involves customer service with friendliness and courtesy.

When we have daily Mousekeeping, we also use decorated tip envelopes. To us, it's part of the fun of staying at WDW. Like decorating our room in December.

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

I printed of some nice envelopes i found online and added my own personal touch. when they unfold it to find the money there will be a picture of a Bride/Groom - Minnie/Mickey with the saying "thanks for making our honeymoon Magical" time consuming cutting and pasting the individual disney letters to say it.... but it looks great.

we have budgeted $2 a day (omitting first day) into our trip budget.
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

Mind you I do not like tipping full stop. No one tips me for my work! Sorry if that makes me a mean person
    Tipping for service jobs is not common in the UK, is that correct? I remember trying to tip my bartenders when I lived over there, and I would always get
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McLiberal8 View Post
    Tipping for service jobs is not common in the UK, is that correct? I remember trying to tip my bartenders when I lived over there, and I would always get
    Tipping in some countries can be viewed as offensive. I know that was the case in Ireland.

We met a lovely couple one evening in Jiko's. They were from the UK. When the bill came following their families dinner, they asked my husband to help with the tip as it was something they weren't used to doing. They were quite surprised to hear that it was customary in the US to leave between 15-20% for good service.
    Tammi, Team INTERCOT Moderator
    Disney Cruise Line & Accomodations

Please visit our Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

It is usual to tip in a restaurant - usually about 10% for good service.
    It is not common to tip bar staff (unless they bring drinks to your table), hotel domestic staff, bell hop, bus drivers etc.
    I do think tipping in general is becoming expected more and more - I remember the first time visiting the US, we seemed to be chucking money around left, right and centre! My mum and dad still can't cope with the fact that restaurants expect 18-20%
    Jo

Oct 2011 - POFQ
    Oct 2009 - POFQ
    April 2008 - off site
    Nov 2006 - CBR
    Oct 2004 - AKL
    April 2003 - off site
    Dec 1997 - off site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TammiMcMan View Post
    Tipping in some countries can be viewed as offensive. I know that was the case in Ireland.
    True in Japan as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I start putting $1's and $5's in an envelope marked "tips" months before we go to WDW. I also start collecting spicy dip mixes, salsa, UNM t-shirts, post cards, NM magnets and other packable and not completely cheesy souvineers from home.
    I leave AT LEAST $1 per person each day for morning and evening mousekeeping. Anyone we find to be exceptionally helpful or friendly gets goodies, this includes CM's and other AKL guests. All mousekeepers that we see around the room get goodies, whether they work in our room or not.
    I guess I feel like if they are making magic for me during my stay, I can bring some from home to share.
    They say that people that have worked in tipped positions are the best tippers. Having carried my share of & in my much younger days, I would have to agree.
    Nell

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoF View Post
    It is usual to tip in a restaurant - usually about 10% for good service.
    It is not common to tip bar staff (unless they bring drinks to your table), hotel domestic staff, bell hop, bus drivers etc.
    I do think tipping in general is becoming expected more and more - I remember the first time visiting the US, we seemed to be chucking money around left, right and centre! My mum and dad still can't cope with the fact that restaurants expect 18-20%
    The only thing I can say in defense of an 18 - 20% tip is that wait staff, not necessarily at WDW, but most places around the US, make about $2 -$3 an hour. The tips make up the rest of their salary. So, when deciding not to tip, please think of the fact that they aren't being paid on the same scale as a store clerk. But, on the other hand, if it is a nice restaurant, they make very good money on tips. And, I expect my waiters to be attentive and do their job. My tip is given accordingly.

As far as mousekeeping, we try to tip $2 - $4 a day. But again, if the room is not well maintained, or we repeatedly have to ask for enough towels and wash cloths for the number of people in our room, the tip goes down or becomes non existent. I do not believe a tip, in any position, is a right. It is an earned amount and I have the right to decide if that amount has been justified.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Mickey91;2172585]The only thing I can say in defense of an 18 - 20% tip is that wait staff, not necessarily at WDW, but most places around the US, make about $2 -$3 an hour. The tips make up the rest of their salary. So, when deciding not to tip, please think of the fact that they aren't being paid on the same scale as a store clerk.

I do not think that it is my responsibility to subsidise someone else's pay just because they are in a poorly paid job. Sorry that's just the way I feel.
    However, I do always tip in restaurants for good service and when I am in WDW I try to go along with what is the norm.
    I am really not a mean person - just careful
    Jo

Oct 2011 - POFQ
    Oct 2009 - POFQ
    April 2008 - off site
    Nov 2006 - CBR
    Oct 2004 - AKL
    April 2003 - off site
    Dec 1997 - off site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblingman View Post
    This year we are adding a little special treat. Each envelope will also have a $1 lottery scratcher ticket with the money.

I hope one of them hits a big payday.

I like this idea a lot!

Post Thanks / Like

We always leave $1.00 per person, with a minimum of $3.00 (that is what my work reimburses for business travel, so I figured that is the standard).

I do try to make the envelopes before I go, so I don't have to worry about having the correct change each morning. I don't seal them, however, in case I decide to add more for exceptional service.

Post Thanks / Like

I always tip mousekeeping, but I believe this is a personal choice. I do not believe that it is required or expected by the staff, but I do it because I would not want to get up every day and go clean up after others. There are days that I don't want to clean up after my own family. Also last year during our trip to the world I became very sick and had to stay behind in the room, the mousekeeper was so nice to me that day (I forgot to put up the do not clean sign), she offered to get we water or soda and even when I declined brought me a sprite and made sure I had ice. She really went above the call of duty.
    2011 Oct 29- Nov 5 MNSSHP
    2010 Nov 5-13 POFQ MVMCP
    2008 Nov 8-15 POFQ MVMCP
    2006 POFQ
    2000 Poly Honeymoon
    1987 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gardenia View Post
    Most people don't tip housekeeping because it's not a tipped position at WDW
    I think most people DO tip the housekeepers. I rarely hear of anyone who does not.
    1288 very long miles to WDW!
    1958 DL-Off property
    Dec 1998 WDW-Off property-Chaperone HS Band trip
    Sep 2005 WDW-POR-25th Late Anniversary
    Apr 2010 WDW-POR-30th Anniversary!
    Aug 2012 DL-first time in 54 yrs!
    Apr 2014 DL-34th Anniversary!!
    Nov 2016 WDW-Retirement!
    Apr 2018 Disney-DGD's 1st trip!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: