Quantcast Polynesian or Animal Kingdon Lodge? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Brownie! I appreciate your experience.

Just talked to Mom; I think we're going to wind up giving everyone what they want, with Mom and Dad either staying the whole time in The Polynesian or splitting their stay between there and The Animal Kingdom Lodge (I shared your concerns with her by phone)...and my Brother and I at The Animal Kingdom Lodge for the entire stay. I mean, after all, we now live in the age of smart phones; coordinating is easy. And Mom and Dad will have their own car.
    EJ in Houston

3-16 -- Port Orleans Riverside
    11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-11 -- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property
    3 prior visits as a child beginning in '72 -- Polynesian/Contemporary Resorts

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The Polynesian based on three things: LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!!
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing that I don't think anyone mentioned: The Poly rooms are MUCH larger. I know with my parents, even though they're not in the room much, this is a big deal. My dad just does not like the smaller-sized rooms. (That's a big reason he bought into DVC a few years ago, but that's another story. )

I wouldn't call the AKL rooms small, exactly, it's just that they're not as large as the more pricey deluxes, and the Poly rooms are the biggest on property.

Also, if anyone in your party has any animal allergies, they can sometimes be exacerbated by the animals at AK. No scientific evidence here, just some anecdotal reports by friends.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't stayed at either, but you could stay at POLY and dine at Boma.
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    One more thing that I don't think anyone mentioned: The Poly rooms are MUCH larger. I know with my parents, even though they're not in the room much, this is a big deal. My dad just does not like the smaller-sized rooms. (That's a big reason he bought into DVC a few years ago, but that's another story. )

I wouldn't call the AKL rooms small, exactly, it's just that they're not as large as the more pricey deluxes, and the Poly rooms are the biggest on property.

Also, if anyone in your party has any animal allergies, they can sometimes be exacerbated by the animals at AK. No scientific evidence here, just some anecdotal reports by friends.
    Interesting point. None of us have exhibited any animal allergies to date, but then again none of us have pet giraffes. I guess we'll find out.
    EJ in Houston

11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jillirose View Post
    Haven't stayed at either, but you could stay at POLY and dine at Boma.
    Yeah...I'm a big fan of Boma. I put my two cents in based on everyone's responses here, but the decision was ultimately Dad's, and he went with Animal Kingdom Lodge, given that it is less expensive, they'll most likely want to spend a lot of time in The Animal Kingdom since they've never been there before, and they'll have their own car with them which, in his mind at least, nullifies the advantage of a hotel on the monorail.
    EJ in Houston

11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property

Post Thanks / Like

Default Polynesian or Animal Kingdon Lodge?

Want to agree with everyone who said you can't go wrong with either resort and that you should let your dad decide.

Also want to add my experience with a split stay. During our best split stay we spent the first 2 nights at AKL and the following 5 nights at BC. We did have a car and to us that makes a world of difference. On the day we checked out we checked out early, put our bags in the car and headed out to AK for early extra magic hrs. When we left the park we drove over to BC and checked into our room. This was an easy way to split a stay.

One more thing: Savannah view is awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnieMommie View Post
    Want to agree with everyone who said you can't go wrong with either resort and that you should let your dad decide.

Also want to add my experience with a split stay. During our best split stay we spent the first 2 nights at AKL and the following 5 nights at BC. We did have a car and to us that makes a world of difference. On the day we checked out we checked out early, put our bags in the car and headed out to AK for early extra magic hrs. When we left the park we drove over to BC and checked into our room. This was an easy way to split a stay.

One more thing: Savannah view is awesome!
    That makes sense, MinnieMommie! I think Dad ultimately decided he didn't want to do any packing and unpacking in the middle of the stay (he's got medical supplies that kind'a complicate and exacerbate that process), but for future reference that's good to know. And good to have the validation about the Savannah view. I know Dad and Mom both plan to head back to the hotel in the middle of the day to just put their feet up on their balcony, catch their breath, relax and enjoy watching the wildlife. I'm kind'a looking forward to that myself.
    EJ in Houston

11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property

Post Thanks / Like

Default !

My vote: ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE!! It is an amazing resort! We have stayed at AKL twice, and we tried the Poly on our most recent trip. The Poly was a beautiful resort and the monorail and ferrys were nice. However, it just didn't have the same ambiance... the same level of magic as the AKL. I personally like the location of the AKL being farther away. It gives it a more relaxed, peaceful feel. And the animals are amazing! It really comes down to what type of experience you want. Do you like to be in middle of the action and just steps away from MK? or do you want some relaxation time? Which are you favorite parks? For my family, our favorites are Epcot and AK so AKL works wonderfully for us. No matter what you choose though, both are great resorts.
    Disney dreaming in progress....

April 2016- Polynesian!

May 2014- Animal Kingdom Lodge!

August 2010- Polynesian!

May 2009- Animal Kingdom Lodge!

July 2008- Animal Kingdom Lodge!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bellerella View Post
    My vote: ANIMAL KINGDOM LODGE!! It is an amazing resort! We have stayed at AKL twice, and we tried the Poly on our most recent trip. The Poly was a beautiful resort and the monorail and ferrys were nice. However, it just didn't have the same ambiance... the same level of magic as the AKL. I personally like the location of the AKL being farther away. It gives it a more relaxed, peaceful feel. And the animals are amazing! It really comes down to what type of experience you want. Do you like to be in middle of the action and just steps away from MK? or do you want some relaxation time? Which are you favorite parks? For my family, our favorites are Epcot and AK so AKL works wonderfully for us. No matter what you choose though, both are great resorts.
    'Ya know, for many of the reasons you've just cited I'm glad we went with the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I'll never be over the Magic Kingdom (it's where I always like to start a WDW vacation), but it's the park in which I spend the least amount of time.
    EJ in Houston

11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: