Quantcast Scooter and buses

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scooter and buses

Hello!
    I've read several posts and I'm sure I'm worrying needlessly, but since this is my 1st time having to use a scooter while at Disney, I'm a bit self-conscience...
    I'm renting a Victory Pride 10 scooter from Apple (and yes, Alex, is wonderful to work with) and will be staying at the ASMu. I'm looking for affirmation from other scooter users that the scooters can be loaded onto the buses with only minor aggrevation.
    Thank you!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Most all busses at Disney World are equipped to handle scooters. Because the driver will need the scooter first (before other passengers are allowed on board), those using scooters or chairs are told not to stand in the regular bus line but to place themselves in a spot where they will be seen by the driver as the driver approaches the bus stop. On a couple of occasions, we've seen someone who did not do this, the driver missed seeing the scooter and the individual ended up needing to wait for another bus.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I understand your trepidation. Most drivers (meaning like 95%) will help you load the scooter, giving you verbal cues to go left/go right, when to cut the wheel when parking, etc.). A few times of getting on and off and you'll be an old pro. If you get too nervous and are able to get onto the lowered bus, you can have another adult in your party load the scooter (I did this for my mom one trip).

My biggest piece of advice is to practice driving and parking to the left at the resort before getting to the bus. Also, when on the bus, keep the speed at the lowest level possible.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

DW and I are both ECV users. She has her own and I rent from Apple. Buses are equipped with either a ramp or an elevator of sorts. We have used both and feel that the ramp is easier to navigate. Plus I have seen the elevators give the drivers trouble a few times. Practice and be careful. My wife once dumped out on the Main Street trolley tracks, and I once did a header while driving off the bus ramp. No injuries, just a bit of embarassment.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back Friday night from 4 days at WDW and I too had a ECV from Apple (they are the best in town). I had no problems with the buses. Just have to be careful in the parks. It is amazing how many people will walk right in front of you and then they look at you like you did something wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

We got back over the weekend. I did rent from Apple...Alex is awesome and so helpful! I rented the 4 wheel model, I thought it might be more stable with less chance of tipping and I was right. Dealing with the buses was easy...only1 of the drivers was a pain, a woman...who kept grabbing the handles as I was trying to maneuver along the side of the bus...she almost sent me down the ramp backwards...at that point I asked her to please not touch the scooter and let me park it.
    And, you're SO right, it is freaking amazing how many people will walk right in front of you. Even if they clearly see you they almost look at it as a game...like I can beat her across the walk way...LOL!!!! But, overall, it was a godsend and I was able to enjoy my time there much more!

Thanks for all of the assistance and I would recommend Apple to anyone!

Post Thanks / Like

This is the first trip I've taken where I will be totally depend on a scooter. I'm scared of loading and unloading on busses and the monorail.

Please help calm my fears.
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneydeb View Post
    This is the first trip I've taken where I will be totally depend on a scooter. I'm scared of loading and unloading on busses and the monorail.

Please help calm my fears.
    Don't worry!! The bus drivers are good at guiding you. I had a couple that wanted to do it for me. Practice parallel parking to your left at any place that has scooters... Walmart/Target etc.

I too was worried about this for our December trip and it was really a breeze. The monorail is easy. They will put ramps down for you to get on the monorail. Depending on the stop, you will either back out or just drive out.

For our April trip, I will be bringing my own scooter.... a new worry....lol

I am sure you will do just fine. Have a fun time.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

take your time. everyone is very patient....

i use one on my trips, and my mom is using this september. she goes to grocery stores that have them and practices..it's kind of cute, but if your nervous, not a bad idea...
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

my adult brother used an ECV in place of his manual wheelchair during our visit in January. He has trouble with his fine motor ability, and was still able to manage fairly easily as a first time ECV user with bus driver guidance.

I dont think that we ever had a problem.
    First visit: Feb. 1989
    a bunch in between
    Next visit: 6/16

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone, for your encouragement.
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: