Quantcast with or without 2 year old

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default with or without 2 year old

Hubby and I got a little more refund than expected Being Disney addicts we of course want to use it on a trip. We have been MANY times, but never since we became parents. Our little boy just turned 2 and is not real keen on riding in the stroller. I can't imagine taking him yet, but still feel guilty going without him. The grandparents can't go with us and we can't afford to take a sitter. What do we do? Take a 3 day Disney trip with a litle one who will need naps or go alone and do it all, but feel a little guilty. I guess I'm really just asking for someone to tell me it's ok not to take him!
    Alice
    Disney Junkie and vacation planner
    10 trips and counting
    Next up June '14 very quick trip :)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 year old...

As a seasoned mom (last one just went to college!) I would definitely say leave a two year old at home and enjoy some peaceful time together! A 2 yr old will not enjoy all day stroller, the schedule change, unfamiliar people, crowds, food, etc. where as you will absolutely treasure the little break without the little one! Go girl, go!

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I would take him... Mine has been twice before his 2nd birthday and still talks about it. Under 3 and they are mostly free, although a little bit of trouble with rides, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe you would both be happier if you left him with the grandparents this time...

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

We took our 17 month old in 2007 and this year we are taking our two year old and our five year old to Disney. Our daughter will be strapped in a stroller, whether she like is it or not when we are walking. We are renting a stroller that our five year old can use also. However, we will have our tether for her so she can walk without our fear of her walking away. She will also ride any ride she is allowed to ride.

Unless you want to go to Disney without your child and not feel guilty about doing it every minute you are there, take the child.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say if the purpose of the trip is to introduce your little one to WDW..then obviously...do it and pace yourselves as it will be a new experience for you as parents with a small child.

However, since you are asking the question....it seems you are really more interested in if it is alright NOT to take your child. I think the answer is YES! Go, guilt free without your 2 year old. If the grandparents are willing and wanting to care for your child...it will be a nice experience for them to spend some quality time together. Since your child is only 2...you will have many years to take your child on another trip.

Enjoy yourselves and your time alone. You will have plenty of time together for future trips. If you end up having more children...it may be more difficult to do these little alone get aways! Just my
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

Leave the two old at home, let the grandparents spoil him and enjoy your vacation. At two he won't know what's going on anyway and might be afraid of the characters. Not to mention the ride restrictions. Don't feel guilty - he'd probably have more fun at McDonalds.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

My advice? If you and DH need some "getaway" time, by all means take advantage of the grandparents' offer to take care of your DS for a few days.

That being said, we introduced DS to Disney at age 2, and we've done something I would have never believed at the time - we've been going back every year since. It was truly a magical trip, and DS loved it. The memories we made that first trip at age 2 are unforgettable. It didn't hurt that he was free at the time, either! However, we had 8 days to work with - not just 3.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll have a good time. However, if you go with just the two of you, get rid of the guilt before you leave - or you aren't going to be able to fully enjoy yourselves.
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Home of the World Champion White Sox and World Champion Chicago Blackhawks X's 2!!!!
    Post Thanks / Like

We brought our dd at 8 months, then 20 months, 32 months, and then 3 1/2, and now this year 4 1/2(a bit over). 20 months was the worst age ever....she was difficult to say the least..beyond terrible two's
    What a difference a year made for her though, she was great the following spring.
    We had the same stroller issues when she was 20 months, in and out alot during the trip, naps---but she still did that the following year. Her second trip was a hard trip, from the word go(we had 10 of us in the suite) so that was tight. We did have fun, she had fun but it was a hard trip. Maybe skip the year and enjoy next year even more when he will at 3
    That age would be a great 1st trip IMO.
    '79 Ft Wilderness Campgrounds/CR
    '81 off property
    '86 CR
    '87 CR
    '89 Disney Inn
    '96 DL
    '97 WL
    '98 CS
    '07 WLV
    '08 Poly Princess Suite
    '09 Poly Princess Suite
    '10 May CR Hospitally Suite kiddos surprise trip!
    '11 May YC Club Level
    '14 Oct CS Executive Level

Post Thanks / Like

It's okay not to take him.

Back in June I took my two year old son at 28 months, and the trip was disaster-after-disaster beginning 45 minutes after we left our home and never got better. We were ready to come home crying after less than a full day. While plenty of people have great experiences with 2 year olds, we saw an explosion of the terrible-twos while at WDW that resulted in my creation of a simple rule for my family: No children at WDW between the ages of 19 and 35 months of age, period.

Our summer trip was so bad that we left DS at home with the grandparents and went for a quick Mom & Dad only "recovery trip" in October and the guilt wore off about 5 minutes after we got there and only reappeared briefly when our son got mad that we didn't answer his call one time (we were inside the American Idol Experience). My wife and I enjoyed our time together immensely and have no regrets about leaving DS at home. DS hardly missed us and had a great time with the grandparents.

Like I said, plenty of people have much better experiences (or greater patience) than we did, but don't feel guilty at all going sans child.

DS is such a wild child that we knew we were in for a wild ride at Disney, but what caught us off guard was that he developed a paralyzing fear of the dark that we never saw coming. He was so scared after we, like idiots, tried PhilharMagic for our very first attraction, that he wouldn't even let us get in a line that wasn't completely outside. No Peter Pan, no Snow White, he hated Pooh (we forced him on) no shows of any kind, nothing (but for some strange reason he still LOVES Small World). On top of that he started spitting (on people on the bus) for the first time in his life, and that coupled with his previous habit of throwing drinks onto the floor drove me to the brink of insanity (and maybe divorce).

I will add that because we bought APs (and DS2 was still free) we did take him back in December and had a great, but still limited, time. His behavior had got better (the terrible twos had mostly sud-sided since he was only a month away from being 3) and I also think that the cooler December weather helped make a trip with him better the second time around. But the 6 months from June to December were such an improvement that it made us realize that taking two-year-olds just wasn't for us.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

I have 5 children. We started going when our third child was 2 years old. We have gone 2x a year since then. My advice to you is, who cares. Do what YOU wanna do. and this should follow for almost everything in life, not just disney world. If you center the marriage in the household, you will have a happy child. Your child doesnt care if he goes to disney world at this age so dont feel guilty about leaving baby behind. At 2, you are taking the child for your benefit, to see their reaction, to see it through their eyes bc they will never remember that trip. So if your intention to go to disney is to do it all and enjoy it with your spouse, then who cares if he stays home. 1. baby will never remember being left behind. 2. you will come back elated that you got free time with him and what does a baby want more than a very happy mama? 3. you love disney so you know you will be back and baby will get to go when you feel he is ready for it. Dont let society or anybody else's disney plans make you feel guilty for having time away. These days, moms feel way too guilty for having a life of their own, outside of their children, and that only isnt fair but it doesnt create happy kids. Keep the parents happy and the kids will be happy. Try to make the kids happy and you will end up with an exhausted set of parents and a child who is consistently unhappy.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

You should do what is best for everyone. Can you go & NOT feel guilty? Can you go & put up with an unhappy 2 yr old?

It's a difficult choice that only you can make. Our child was 3 1/2 when we took her the first time. It was a perfect time for us and everyone will have their perfect time as well. I am sure that you will make the right choice

18 Previous Visits

Most Recent December 2011 (POP)
    May 2012 (Disney Fantasy !)
    Sept 2012 POP Mom/Daughter Trip

Sept 2013 40th Anniversary Adventures Disney Ireland

2014 Check out MK Makeover!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, wholeheartedly. We take our little ones and that is why I love to go so much. I love watching them come alive. Our 7mth old Loved disney and it was so great to see him there. I dont know that id want to be there without them. The best age I think to take them is 2-4 but we have very agreeable children. We could be in the parks from 8am-1am the next day and they would not complain.
    A man should never neglect his family for business.-Walt Disney
    Apr07-FW
    Feb08-FW
    Sep08-BC
    Sep09-POR
    Nov-Dec09-FW
    Dec09-BC
    Aug10-WL
    Jan11-SSR
    Oct11-ASM/FW/CBR/BC
    Dec11-ASM/BLT
    Jan12-WD
    Feb12-Off
    Sep12-BCV/Pop
    Jan13-FW/AOA
    Feb13-CBR
    Sept13-Dland
    Dec13-FW

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you and your husband need a getaway. For some reason, people in general are fine with this idea when the getaway is an "adult" one, like Las Vegas, or New York City, or Europe, but when it's Disney World, it becomes an issue.

I say you go with your husband and leave your baby behind if you feel that the grandparents are willing and capable caregivers. I wish I had been able to do that when my kids were much younger, but they have special needs and I just didn't trust that anyone other than me or DH really knew how to handle them. So, DH and I took separate "solo" trips. It worked for us, but we really would have preferred to go together.

In my opinion, it's never wrong for a husband and wife to have a getaway without their kids, in order to reconnect and further strengthen the marriage. We all need a break from parenting.

GO! And have a great time!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I have been without my daughter twice and loved every minute of it. Yes there were a few moments of guilt, but they didn't last long. That said, I did take her when she was 2yo and we had a blast. I don't think 2 was too young. She doesn't remember much about that trip, but I still have the memories of her face lighting up when she first met Mickey. At that age it is more about parents memories with child then the child's memories. You know your kid, and if you know she won't be happy in a stroller all day then go as a couple and enjoy your memories of your trip together.
    1990-Polynesian, 1998-All-Star Music, 2002-Off Property , 2003-All Star Music, 2007- Pop Century (twice) , 2008-Old Key West, 2008-Off Property, 2009-POFQ,2010-off property, 2011 - POFQ
    Next Up . . . . November 23-30, 2013- Off Property at the Star Island Resort.

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I did this several years ago. We had a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old. We left them at home for a 4 day weekend and conference at WDW. We missed them so much, we were miserable. We kept thinking about how much the kids would have liked this or that.

There is nothing wrong with leaving your child in the care of his grandparents, and no one should make you feel bad or guilty about it. It just is not for everyone. My wife and I decided that we would not do it again. We have been a couple of other places without them, but not WDW.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

Being that my we have taken my son since he was a year old my first response was to take him no questions asked. But I also read that you are making a quick trip of only 3 days. In that case I would say just enjoy the time with your hubby. Before you even get settled you will be packing up to go home and with a little one that may be more stress then relaxation. I know where you are coming from though it will be tough and some guilt will happen but it's probably best to save his visit when you can stay longer. Good luck with your decision, it's a tough one.
    Next Trip: POP Century...September 16th to September 26th!

Post Thanks / Like

At that age, they certainly won't look @ WDW the same way you do. And the attention span is about a nanosecond. Not to mention "entertainment overload". A 2-yr old strapped in a stroller they don't want to be in means alot of parental carry time unless you put them on a "leash"?...Nah! Will you feel guilty if you don't take him? Of course you will.
    But at that age, I think it's less about how good of a time he'll have, as it is about sharing WDW with him. And trust me, you'll have PLENTY of time for that in the upcoming years! And he'll enjoy it more when he's older too.
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

I think this kind of thing is a personal decision only you can make. I have two toddlers and my 3 yr old is gearing up for his 5th trip this Oct. Disney is a different experience with kids, but introducing my kids to WDW has been a huge joy. We take the stroller, but a two year old can also walk so being confined to a stroller all day doesn't have to be an issue. We don't use leashes because we supervise our kids. Heck, you only have one so the adult to child ratio is in your favor! I miss those days. Really, it's a completely doable trip. You'll go at a slower pace and you certainly won't accomplish as much as you would on an adult trip, but somehow watching your kid have fun is far more enjoyable than catching a show or riding a coaster.

I completely understand those who want an adult only get away now and then, but honestly that has just never appealed to me. We're a family now and we take family vacations. I would miss my kids especially in a place like Disney.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

Thanks for all of your responses. I really wish we could go for a whole week or more and take our time with him. That's just not in the cards this time. I think that IF we go, it will just be a quick trip for mom and dad. We will take him for a longer trip in a year or two.

We are still trying to decide if our short trip will be Disney or someplace else where i won't feel guilty.
    Alice
    Disney Junkie and vacation planner
    10 trips and counting
    Next up June '14 very quick trip :)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: