Quantcast Flights just keep going up.... :(

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Flights just keep going up.... :(

So, we are long-time Jet Blue fans -- every trip to FL has been with them. So when I started watching airfares for our trip in August last year, I was disappointed to find the flights so high. ($1200 for the 4 of us...have NEVER paid that much, esp. at 9 or 10 months out.)

So -- I decided to wait, as they usually drop. They didn't, and were up to $1400 for the 4 of us last week.

Now?? Almost $1600!!!

I know gas prices went up, but even the market and 'trending' say the prices are inflated for all the wrong reasons and should be dropping... so I really thought waiting was going to be worth it.

Now I'm wondering if we'll end up adding in & eating up 2 extra vacation days driving...

Does anyone out there think flight prices might drop for the summer/early fall??
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am in the same boat as you. Right now on United the fare would be $1,118 for the two of us. That is a direct flight. I may have to switch and fly Southwest, come in a day earlier and have to deal with changing planes. The plus of that is it about $670 for the two of us round trip.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Finding the same annoying trend up here.

Always been able to get a decent price this far out(looking for Nov), and it's slowly creeping up. I keep agonizing if I should book now or wait . . . . I NEEED a crystal ball . . . . .

AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!! I'm driving myself NUTSO!!
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Feel the same way!! For the four of us, I usually spend between $800-1000.

I just bit the bullet and paid $1400 for the four of us to go in August as I was afraid they would go up more....bummer!
    Karen

DVC Owners at SSR & BLT
    1994-Offsite Honeymoon
    2003-May ASM-1st Time for Kids
    2005-Feb AKL
    2006-May SSR
    2006-Aug OKW
    2007-May VWL
    2007-Aug SSR
    2008- May BWV
    2009- Aug Cruise (Wonder) & WDW
    2009 -Dec Last minute Christmas trip
    2010-May BLT

2011- Aug- DISNEY DREAM!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just talked to my DH and we may just have him fly down on his own, and the girls and I will drive. He'll already be taking 7 days for our trip -- I can't see him wanting to add two more days on, just to be in a car. It would save us over $1000... add tax and two hotel rooms back in, it would still save us over $700. And I don't particularly enjoy flying -- although I have to admit, it has become a part of the whole "trip experience", and I'll miss the convenience of it, that's for sure!

So... we'll keep watching the flights... but I'm guessing that if the airlines keep raising their prices, more & more people will be driving, at least during the summer months where kid's schedules are more flexible!

Still keeping my , though....
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -

Post Thanks / Like

My family will be driving for the 1st time due to flight costs. My brother in law has agreed to drive with us, so between him and DH will drive straight through.
    "To All Who Come To This Happy Place, Welcome "

79,87,88: off property
    89:CB
    99:POR (DS first visit & b-day)
    00,02,:ASS (DS b-day)
    04,05:POP
    06,07:ASM
    08:ASM (Anniversary Trip)
    Nov 08:ASM (DS first visit)
    Aug 2011 ASM (DS first visit, DS b-day)

Post Thanks / Like

I've been watching the fares for SWA since we started planning our trip back in July. I've seen their rates go from $69 (but not during our travel time) to $120 which is where we booked our departure reservations at, to $191, $126, finally booked @ $99 each way. It's still more than I'd like, but somewhat acceptable. I'm still hoping that before we leave, they'll come down some more, but otherwise we'll settle.
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry! I have a trip coming up in May, and I had been putting off purchasing my airfare down to see if prices came down. Two days ago, JetBlue dropped to $85 one way out of Newark, and I jumped on it. That is the lowest I have seen it for them. I usually wind up purchasing each leg of the trip separately because I find it is cheaper that way. I am flying down JetBlue out of Newark and back on AirTran (super cheap for me, but not always the best times) into a local airport, ABE. I think the total trip is costing about $170 r/t per person. I hope the airfare improves for you!
    °O° Ria°O°

"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." ~Walt Disney

First trip: 11/05-Pop
    Next trip(s): 9/12-CSR, 10/12-ASM & Swan,
    11/12-Swan & YC
    Pop x 4
    CBR x 1
    POFQ x 2
    Poly x 1
    WL x 1
    AKL x 2
    SOG x 3

Post Thanks / Like

We almost always drive due to high airline prices from Toronto. When we don't fly from Toronto we will fly from Buffalo. Lately flights from Buffalo are even getting way to expensive. My expenses for driving will cost us around $500 round trip, this includes gas and lodging. So it has to be a REALLY good deal for us to even consider driving.

I also want to mention that we will leave for WDW right after work on a Friday and get down on Saturday night. Coming home we will leave Saturday morning after a good breakfast and get home Sunday afternoon. It is a lot of driving crammed into a couple of days but for us it is worth it.
    Brian (aka CanadianWDWFan)
    INTERCOT Staff:Theme Parks, The Water Cooler & Trip Reports
    DVC-BWV, Riviera
    Next Trip:DLR

Post Thanks / Like

Did you check Southwest out of Albany? They might be cheaper and it's only a 2 hour drive. Or maybe Buffalo? I have friends that have driven to Buffalo because it's cheaper.
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

I'm holding off on my June trip still. Last year the rates for summer travel on JB came down towards the end of March (I did mine on March 19th) so I'm hoping they'll follow suit this year.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    I'm holding off on my June trip still. Last year the rates for summer travel on JB came down towards the end of March (I did mine on March 19th) so I'm hoping they'll follow suit this year.
    I'll keep my for both of us!

Traci, I did check -- Buffalo, Roch, Albany... even Boston and JFK. All the same price, most with worse flight times. Not a trend I'm liking... but regardless, at least I'll always have my car...
    Blythe

Past trips -

Next -

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dsnygirl View Post
    Does anyone out there think flight prices might drop for the summer/early fall??
    With the intentional inflation of the US Dollar, otherwise know as "Quantitative Easing" by the Fed, I'd say.....NO
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

My friend in Rochester booked her tickets on Southwest the day the opened flights for the end of August out of Buffalo. It was about two weeks ago, and fares were about $189 per person round trip.

I have struggled with fares as well. Jet Blue our normal choice for an Orlando trip was outrageous coming in at $1800 R/T for good flight times. I paid $980 last year.
    Continental was OK, but you have to factor in luggage for a family of 4.
    Southwest is starting to run some flights out of Newark Liberty, but they weren't listing their prices yet.
    So...I ended up booking on Delta, good times, with a layover in Atlanta which I was NOT crazy about, but here is what sold me...$1,000 for my family of 4 and I am a Delta Skymiles Amex card holder and with that card, everyone in my party can have up to 2 bags checked for free. Sold!!
    Good luck playing the flight game. I drove once, with the kids, and was going to do it again, if it meant being able to go.
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

The high price of flights on Southwest has forced us to drive from Chicago area. Even with the high price of gas & an extra hotel there & back, we will be saving $$$! I do not understand the rational of these airlines...people can barely afford to travel now.
    1987-off site (Honeymoon)
    1992-off site (5/3 yr. old)
    1995/97/99 FW
    2000-WL
    2001/02/03 -FW
    2005-FW
    2008-FW(still camping w/the kids)
    2009-WL (No Kids!)
    2011-WL
    2012-WL (25th Anniv)
    2015-POFQ
    2017-30th Anniv trip w/kids & grandkids! MK for a day!
    2018-FW in OCT! (camping with MOOSE)

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Just adding this in -- the girls and I are almost definitely driving at this point... our airfare is over $1100, and with gas & lodging, it's only $450 to drive. (Found a great Marriott hotel just south of Charlotte, NC that is only $67/night if you book early & online... indoor pool, bkfst included. How do you beat that??? ) My DH will still fly so he can keep his vacation days shorter, but it will allow him to use our SUV to get back & forth to the golf courses while we're there, and allow me to bring our groceries, thus saving even more $$. And if it works?? We might ALL just do it next summer, b/c it sure shaves a TON off the price of our vacation! It won't ever be possible for us to do it during the school year, so may as well give it a shot now!!
    Blythe

Past trips -

Next -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dsnygirl View Post
    (Found a great Marriott hotel just south of Charlotte, NC that is only $67/night if you book early & online... indoor pool, bkfst included. How do you beat that??? )
    Just curious Blythe, what route are you taking? Not I-95?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinaAndGlenn View Post
    The high price of flights on Southwest has forced us to drive from Chicago area. Even with the high price of gas & an extra hotel there & back, we will be saving $$$! I do not understand the rational of these airlines...people can barely afford to travel now.

I just checked Southwest for the 3 of us at the end of August. It's $1200. I am hoping they come down. We went last August and I bought air fare for the 3 of us for just under $600 in late June. I hope I can do that again this year. My husband says we'll cancel the trip before we drive down again. (Nooooo!)

I think this is due to speculation of gas prices and unrest in the MIddle East.
    Jen

Next trip: Beach Club Villas; August 2011.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Just curious Blythe, what route are you taking? Not I-95?
    Nope.... I heard that going around DC and through some of the bigger cities was a headache, so I thought I'd go the route we took to Charlotte, NC and head south from there. It's basically 81S into Virginia and onto 77S just before you cross into NC.... then 77S merges w/ 95S just south of Columbia, SC and we take 95S to I-4 into Orlando. (I'm glad you asked, b/c it forced me to look at the routes closer... )
    Blythe

Past trips -

Next -

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I take that route from my mom's home near Charlotte, which is fine. But when I lived in Maryland and eastern NC we always took 95 south. Is it really going to save you time?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: