Quantcast PRICES are killing me, anyone else feeling it too? - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like

I would imagine Easter week would be very expensive & crowded time to go, but I know what you are saying. Unless some great offer comes along my Wilderness Lodge rate for the end of Sept. is about $20 a night more than the past few years.
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneyjo-91 View Post
    I think that with this economy and loss of jobs that disney would Lower their prices not raise them!
    We started cruising. We did a 7 night cruise to bermuda last year for a family of 4 with a outside cabin on NCL and paid only 2200. April of 2009 (vacation week) we did a NCL cruise to St thomas, tortola and Dominican Republic and their private island for only $1900 for an inside cabin for 4 people.
    We are finding Cruising is a much better deal and alot of fun.
    If Disney were to lower their prices with this economy that would probably mean layoffs for the employees of Disney. Then we would all be complaining even more about the service at Disney. Inflation is a fact of life even though we don't enjoy the paying , we do all want raises which drives the prices up.

We also have started cruising. In fact we just got back last Sunday from a 7 night South Caribbean cruise, but comparing an outside or inside cabin on a cruise ship to a Disney Resort does not even come close. We have stayed in both a suite and a balcony room on our cruises. The suite was amazing but was definitely in the same price range as a Disney Vacation for 1 week if not more expensive, so was the balcony room. You also have to pay for all your excursions on the islands which add up quickly.
    We are headed to WDW 2 May for 16 nights at the POFQ and are paying less for that room than we paid for our suite for 7 nights on the cruise.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you I am glad I went last year as that was proably my last trip at this point. I can no longer afford DISNEY. Not only are the rooms rates sky high so are airfares,gas food and ticket prices. My next vacaation should there be one will be HOME.
    Last edited by Hammer; 03-07-2011 at 11:11 AM. Reason: profanity
    Hugpug

Have stayed at FW,ASM,POP,WL,CS,POR,POFQ,CB,POLY,Grovesnor,Offsit e over the years past. LOVED THEM ALL

Post Thanks / Like

We may start looking into cruising as well. We are going on a 4 day to the Bahamas next month, getting our feet wet again, so to speak. We cut some days off from Disney to do this. Wanted to do a Disney cruise again, but the comparison to RCCL, well there was none.

Can't wait to try that Oasis of the Seas, one day.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Try the Dolphin. Deluxe accommodations, at a better price and great location. We just got back and loved it.
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

You might (and I stress might) do better trying to rent some DVC points. I went in on the member website and just threw in some guideline dates (4/23 - 4/30) for a Magic Kingdom view studio at Bay Lake Tower. It would be 241 points which on rental would probably cost you about $2,650. That comes to around $380 a night.
    This is what we are doing. We are not staying Easter week, but rather a few weeks earlier. We rented points, and are staying at Saratoga Springs for 6 nights for $900 total - no tax. The rack rate was $2,700 through Central reservations. At one point, they were running a special rate of 30% off - it still would have been around $1900.

Renting DVC points is a great deal! We have done this for 5 or 6 vacations. If you shop around, you can get the room at 67% off of the rack rate, or even 50% off of the discounted rate.
    First Trip ¨¨*:•
    Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground - June, 1974

Last Trip ¨¨*:•
    Port Orleans/Saratoga Springs - March, 2017

Next Trip ¨¨*:•
    Bay Lake Tower - March, 2018

And about 40 more in between....

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest staying at Old Key West Resort. It has lovely accommodations, is a much larger resort, and will be less crowded during that particular window of time.

Anyone can stay at a Disney Vacation Club Resort, assuming they have room. You might be pleasantly surprised.

I also love the Saratoga Springs Resort. So lovely, lots of space. Consider.
    1975 & 1977 - Summer - Disneyland
    1991 April - WDW
    1993 April - WDW
    2006 June - Saratoga Springs
    2007 July – Saratoga Springs
    2010 February - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2010 October – AKL Jambo
    2011 July - Old Key West
    2013 October - OKW
    2015 September - AKL Jambo
    2016 September - AKL Jambo

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Texan View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if there is another motive to having such high prices at the deluxes. Like maybe Disney wants to encourage people to book the moderates (higher profit margin?).

It could be a supply and demand issue.
    It really is a supply and demand issue. Believe it or not, the deluxe resorts fill up very quickly. They're far and away the most desirable resorts on property and there are thousands of people out there will to pay high prices to stay in them.

Typically if you look for a reservation during a busier time period, you're not going to find much availability at the deluxes. That's why they command the high prices.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Egggg Zactly

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Smiles View Post
    We also have started cruising. In fact we just got back last Sunday from a 7 night South Caribbean cruise, but comparing an outside or inside cabin on a cruise ship to a Disney Resort does not even come close. We have stayed in both a suite and a balcony room on our cruises. The suite was amazing but was definitely in the same price range as a Disney Vacation for 1 week if not more expensive, so was the balcony room. You also have to pay for all your excursions on the islands which add up quickly.
    We are headed to WDW 2 May for 16 nights at the POFQ and are paying less for that room than we paid for our suite for 7 nights on the cruise.
    I am an avid (rabid?) Disney fan. I have been since I was stationed in Orlando back in 1980 and 1981.
    Last year my wife insisted that we do something different - she wanted to go on a cruise. I shopped and came up with an excellent package. It was a 5 day Western Caribbean departing from Galveston Texas. We chose Carnival and "sailed" on the Ecstasy. The total cost for this vacation was just over $900 total. That figure includes the round trip driving fuel from Central Texas, parking, pre-trip hotel stay and all cruise related costs. We booked an inside room and made our own adventures at the ports of call.
    My take? The food was on par with the best TS restaurants we frequent on the DP. The entertainment? Well, bless their hearts...it was horrible. Their stage shows were around the same quality of the ones we are "treated" to at Six Flags Over Texas - actually not as good, on second thought. We were pretty bored during the sea days. We are not the lay around and sun kinda' folks. We can lay around our pool here at home - and for less money too! Thankfully, I think that no future cruises are in our vacation plans.
    This year? The wife wants to go and explore New Mexico. We will be hauling the camper out to Albuquerque and then fanning out from there.
    I have put my foot down - 2012 is the year for the epic "Return To WDW"! for us.
    Let's face it folks - you can't get any easier planning than an all-inclusive stay at "The World". I do all, and I do mean ALL of our vacation planning. I have to figure out stops along the way (when hauling the camper), parking, flights, hotels, meal and fuel stops, etc. The mouse may charge more, but he sure does make it easier on me. Drive to DFW, park at the remote lot, and then DME to funville! Now that we have decided TS fits our roll-with-the-flow vacation lifestyle, I don't even sweat ADR's any more.
    You get what you pay for. It really is that simple (at least for vacations).
    Last edited by DryCreek; 03-09-2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: spell check is NOT perfect! (X2!)

Post Thanks / Like

I love WDW, but yes, the economy is having an impact on us. Last year we did stay at a mod for the first time, POFQ, and were pleasantly surprised. We really liked it. This year we are doing a 7 night cruise and getting a big savings. I want to go back to WDW someday, but it is tough to justify the expense when there are other, less expensive and very nice, options.
    2017 WDW All Star Music/Universal RP
    2016 :(
    2015 Universal-Royal Pacific
    2014 :(
    2013 Fall: Wilderness Lodge
    2011-12 :(
    2010 French Quarter
    2009 Pop & AKL
    2008 Polynesian
    2007 ASM & BCR
    2006 AKL

Share This Thread On Social Media: