Quantcast A New Disney Lawsuit

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A New Disney Lawsuit

Disabled rider sues Disneyland after being stuck on "Small World"

A quadriplegic man is suing Disneyland, alleging the theme park left him on the "It's A Small World" ride for 40 minutes after it had stalled while staff evacuated other passengers.

By The Associated Press

ANAHEIM, Calif. — A quadriplegic man is suing Disneyland in federal court, alleging the theme park left him on the "It's A Small World" ride for 40 minutes after it had stalled while staff evacuated other passengers.

The lawsuit, filed Monday in U.S. District Court, alleges Disneyland violated the Americans With Disabilities Act because it didn't have proper procedures in place for evacuating disabled passengers from the ride.

Jose Martinez is also suing for negligence, emotional distress and liability.

He alleges Disney employees did not summon paramedics when his blood-pressure spiked while he was trapped on the ride.

Disneyland Resorts says in a statement it is accessible to all guests and has procedures in place for evacuating disabled customers.
    Melissa

Disneyland - too many times to count
    Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    4 day Cruise Wonder 2000-2001 (New Years Cruise) Honeymoon
    Beach Club 2000 Honeymoon
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by meldan98 View Post

He alleges Disney employees did not summon paramedics when his blood-pressure spiked while he was trapped on the ride.
    All I can say is "seriously" ?!?!?

I agree that having to listen to that song may cause emotional distress, but really. . . . "trapped on the ride" ?!?!?

He really doesn't sound like a Disney type of person . . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

He didn't sound "Disney" to me either!

Post Thanks / Like

Need more info before an opinion is formed.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Need more info before an opinion is formed.
    Me too. We don't really know what happened here and I'm sure this report is only part of the story.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by meldan98 View Post

Just wondering how would he know his BP spiked? I geuss he had a monitor with him.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to weigh in on what this person went through, comment on its authenticity, or jump to any conclusions. I will also note that I am not a lawyer; however, I play one in real life. What interests me is the following:

The lawsuit, filed Monday in U.S. District Court, alleges Disneyland violated the Americans With Disabilities Act because it didn't have proper procedures in place for evacuating disabled passengers from the ride.

When it comes to whether or not "proper procedures [were] in place for evacuating disabled passengers," that seems to be a pretty easy claim for Disney to counter. Given the size and overall legal oversight at a corporation the size and age of Disney, one must assume there are some codified training manuals or material specifically related to Americans with Disability Act compliance, or at least procedures for attraction operation and evacuation that deal with the question of disabled guests. A person far more slick than myself could spend years dissecting the nature of "proper" in defining such procedures, but I think that might fail to be compelling at trial.

As far as negligence goes, if Disney's ADA-related material shows the cast members and other staffers were operating by the book, and if that procedure is not in and of itself in violation of the ADA, then negligence would seem to fall out with that first argument. In regards to his hypertensive crisis, unless he is able to demonstrate organ damage due to his spike in blood pressure, I would tend to believe it fails to meet the standard of compensable injury.

Emotional distress, then, would be the component that is most subject to interpretation by those hearing the case. As it is largely subjective and by self-report, it is difficult both to prove and disprove. How does/did this emotional distress affect his activities of daily living? Are there ongoing effects from this emotional distress? If so, are they demonstrably related to being stuck on It's A Small World?

It'll be interesting to see how this one pans out. And, above all else, I wish this gentleman health and wellness going forward, no matter the outcome of this lawsuit.

Post Thanks / Like

I notice two questions about the blood pressure issue, so as a fellow spinal-cord injury person I'll add a little info to the discussion.

Individuals with spinal cord injuries (especially a quadriplegic) are at risk for something called 'Autonomic Dysreflexia' (AD) - find it on Wikipedia if you want to read more about it. Basically it's a really, really bad deal highlighted by....(wait for it, wait for it)... severe blood pressure spikes and a lot of other unpleasant stuff.

I don't know if being stuck on the ride could cause that or not for this individual but if a quadriplegic was placed in a stressful or painful situation it's not at all unusual to think that it could trigger a problem with AD.

Post Thanks / Like

If this case ever makes it to trial, which it probably won't) they'll only need to play the "It's a Small World" music for the jury for 40 minutes while they are confined to the jury room. A large verdict for the plaintiff will be certain.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Sounds like a "Slip and Fall" routine to me.
    77-DL
    89-DL
    94-ASSp
    95-OKW
    98-WDW Hol.Inn MG
    99-WDW Off Prop
    06-ASMov
    07-Pop 2/4 - 2/14
    07-ASMus 9/11 - 9/17
    08-ASMov & DCL 10/27 - 11/2
    09-ASMov & DCL Wonder 9/21 - 10/1
    10-WDW Off Prop 4/23 - 4/25
    10-DCL Magic 7 nt EB 10/23
    10-CSR 10/30 - 11/1
    12-POR 1/8 - 1/15
    12-CSR 12/20-27

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dnickels View Post
    I notice two questions about the blood pressure issue, so as a fellow spinal-cord injury person I'll add a little info to the discussion.

Individuals with spinal cord injuries (especially a quadriplegic) are at risk for something called 'Autonomic Dysreflexia' (AD) - find it on Wikipedia if you want to read more about it. Basically it's a really, really bad deal highlighted by....(wait for it, wait for it)... severe blood pressure spikes and a lot of other unpleasant stuff.

I don't know if being stuck on the ride could cause that or not for this individual but if a quadriplegic was placed in a stressful or painful situation it's not at all unusual to think that it could trigger a problem with AD.
    I've only dealt with a few clients that had experienced issues with AD, but in most of my reading of the literature, its primary causes involved gastrointestinal or urological blockages. I'm not saying that it can't be caused by stress, I'm just unfamiliar with that claim. As far as pain goes, I guess at that point they'd have to demonstrate that the position he was placed in was inherently painful, no? Otherwise causality won't be established.

If it did turn out that AD was triggered by this event, then it changes a some aspects of the case (e.g., was he put in a position that put greater than usual stress on his body). Also, if he had to go through the usual battery of AD symptoms, then this little article severely understated the medical basis for his lawsuit.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to comment on the health and well-being of the person sueing Disneyland because I don't know his situation.

But, when someone decides to enjoy an amusement park ride, isn't it pretty much "ride-at-your-own-risk"? Many guests have been trapped on rides that break-down and I would think a responsible adult would weigh the risks before entering the ride whether it be IASW or BTMRR or...

Post Thanks / Like

He had to wait while they CM's evacuated others and this is a problem why

His blood pressure spiked, but guess what, I have bp problems and mine spikes when I am anxious (yes I have meds for both).

I too think more info is necessary for the judge/jury to hear. Where was his boat, did they bypass his boat to get to others, etc.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

i would pay money to be stuck on iasmw for a few minutes right now
    Chuck Swindoll has a really nice piece on "attitude" that would be very applicable in most cases like this (pending more info).
    I think this pros writing needs to be a mandatory memorization exercise before anyone can get a diploma...
    Forever
    Rely
    On
    God!!!

Post Thanks / Like

All I have to say is GOOD GRIEF....
    --Heff

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to assume this man remained in his wheelchair, and used an accessible boat (the one that you can just roll onto). You have to be able to transfer from your wheelchair in order to ride the "regular" boats, and I assume a quadriplegic could not accomplish this, nor remain safely seated in the regular boat seat.

So, if he was still in his wheelchair, onboard a special boat, how is that any different than just sitting in the wheelchair while doing any number of other activities. That is, if he's confined to a wheelchair anyway, doesn't he spend more than 40 min at a time sitting in it all day long?

On IASW at Disneyland, the boats run in a trough. There are several areas of the ride where you would not be able to evacuate easily, because you are in a "transition room", and there is no floor platform even with the boats to step out on. If you get stopped in one of these areas, they have to evacuate the boats in the front first, so they can then move them forward to an area that is easier to evacuate from. If this guy was in his wheelchair, and he was stuck in an area where they could not conceivably place a ramp for him to safely roll off, that's really not Disney's fault. I can see how it would take 40 min to evacuate and move enough boats so that a boat could move into an appropriate location to exit.

Now, in the event of a serious emergency, like a fire, most able bodied people would simply be able to jump out of the boats and walk along the trough to the numerous emergency exits along the route. I would guess that in a truly dangerous situation, the CMs would go to to the aid of anyone who needed special assistance first.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I just read about this. Interesting. He was awarded $8,000? Seems like a "small" award compared to the hundreds of thousands people usually try for. I'm not sure how a quadrapalgic could "transfer" as opposed to "roll on" but OK (one article said he didn't have access to his wheelchair). They said he was subject to "panic attacks". I guess I'm not in his shoes but a 30 minute "small world" breakdown shouldn't cause a "panic attack" the song can be a bit annoying but...The article said he had to go to the bathroom which caused a spike in blood pressure. Small World is a rather lenghty ride. I would imagine he'd have gone before but. OK.

I do wish the fella the best health possible but maybe rides at Disney aren't his bag. ANY ride can break down, I've experienced several...You've just got to hope you're not on an upside down coaster at the time. There's warnings on just about EVERY ride no matter how mild...He apparently learned a hard lesson about what those warnings mean. Maybe Disney was a little lax in reassuring him they were going to get him off.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I'm going to assume this man remained in his wheelchair, and used an accessible boat (the one that you can just roll onto). You have to be able to transfer from your wheelchair in order to ride the "regular" boats, and I assume a quadriplegic could not accomplish this, nor remain safely seated in the regular boat seat.

So, if he was still in his wheelchair, onboard a special boat, how is that any different than just sitting in the wheelchair while doing any number of other activities. That is, if he's confined to a wheelchair anyway, doesn't he spend more than 40 min at a time sitting in it all day long?

On IASW at Disneyland, the boats run in a trough. There are several areas of the ride where you would not be able to evacuate easily, because you are in a "transition room", and there is no floor platform even with the boats to step out on. If you get stopped in one of these areas, they have to evacuate the boats in the front first, so they can then move them forward to an area that is easier to evacuate from. If this guy was in his wheelchair, and he was stuck in an area where they could not conceivably place a ramp for him to safely roll off, that's really not Disney's fault. I can see how it would take 40 min to evacuate and move enough boats so that a boat could move into an appropriate location to exit.

Now, in the event of a serious emergency, like a fire, most able bodied people would simply be able to jump out of the boats and walk along the trough to the numerous emergency exits along the route. I would guess that in a truly dangerous situation, the CMs would go to to the aid of anyone who needed special assistance first.
    My thoughts exactly! I also agree with previous posters regarding "assuming the risk".
    WDW visits . . .
    April 2013 - Yacht Club
    May 2012 - Grand Floridian
    May 2011 - Grand Floridian
    March 2006 - Offsite
    2000 - 2004 Numerous trips while in college in FL
    January 1989 - First Visit! Polynesian

Next visit:
    September - Disneyland (First trip with son!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thrillme View Post
    I just read about this. Interesting. He was awarded $8,000? Seems like a "small" award compared to the hundreds of thousands people usually try for.
    **If true**, sounds like a classic case of "go away" money - in that it would cost Disney more than $8 grand to assemble their defense in a legal dispute. Here. Have 8 grand and go away.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

"Small World", small award. LOL.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: