Quantcast Child with leg braces and other SN

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Child with leg braces and other SN

Hello,
    We are taking my 5 year old this year to Disney world. He has Cerebral palsy though not evident. He wears leg braces that can be a little overwhelming for him at times and he can get "over stimulated" if he doesn't understand why he is waiting so long for something... This doesn't happen often, but it does happen occassionally and I want opinions. If you had a child in braces, if he was showing "wear and tear" from the day or days at Disney would you hesitate to take him down handicap access to certain rides if the lines were really long? I don't want to use it as an excuse, but I am thinking that he may "have had it" and be somewhat sore from the braces after being around the parks for hours or possibly even make it a few days and then break down... what the thoughts? Would others understand if he isn't in a wheel chair?
    Sarah K.
    85-87 Campground - 89 CAbins
    91 The Tree House Villas - 2001 Nov. Lake Buena Vista Best W.
    2002 Movies - 2002 Sports
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2013 DisneyLand- Embassy Suites S
    2014 Disneyland-Anaheim Plaza
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Head to Guest Relations at the parks and see what they will do. You may get a GAC and be all set, you may not, I'm not sure what the "qualifications" are for one. They will tell you how to use it, and it's up to you if you want to pull it out or not.

Who cares what others think?

Post Thanks / Like

DisneyRox is absolutely right. Go to Guest Relations at the first park you go to and explain your son's needs and they will provide you with a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) for the length of your stay. The GAC will provide alternatives for your son when he needs it. By reading the card, Cast Members will be able to identify the best way to help you out as you approach a ride/attraction, and they will guide you!

Don't feel bad about requesting one. Disney wants your brave little boy to have the best possible trip, and if he needs to take a different entrance once in awhile, then that's what the GAC is for.

I hope you have a truly fabulous time!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

You also might think about using a stroller as a wheelchair to give him a place to rest when he gets tired or overstimulated. At his age I would just rent one for length of stay in the parks. I would also when getting the GAC, ask for a stroller as wheelchair tag. This will allow you to keep the stroller in lines with you. Again another place for him to give his legs a break.

I know that for the next trip with my nieces and nephew who are all about your sons age, but not handicapped, that they will tire. We are already planning on just renting a stroller or 2 for them to give them a place to rest. Much better than having to carry the child all the time.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd also ditto the recommendation of getting a GAC and also having a stroller. Even if you don't use one at home, you might find that you need one at WDW. I'd bring your own from home if you still have one. You can ask for the "stroller as wheelchair" designation on your GAC if you feel that waiting for rides would be a good opportunity to give him some rest.

When you go to Guest Relations, simply explain that your son gets overstimulated under certain conditions and may need an alternate place to wait for attractions, where he can sit and rest while he waits. They will help you out. You can decide which rides you need to use the GAC for. You will find that by using Fastpass when possible, you won't need to use the GAC very often.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Hi - My little guy has CP... we have gotten a guest assistance card for him. There is no way he can walk to parks and enjoy himself and wait in line. Explain the situation that he tires, fatigues, etc. Also ask for a "can you stroller as wheelchair tag". This will allow you to roll him either in line or down the handicapped line depending on the line. One thing the parks is, is extremely accomodating for my son! that is why we go back time and time again! If you have any other ? don't hesitate to ask!!! We have been doing a Guest assistance card since he was 3 (he is now 10) since he has multiple issues!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shellyb627 View Post
    Hi - My little guy has CP... we have gotten a guest assistance card for him. There is no way he can walk to parks and enjoy himself and wait in line. Explain the situation that he tires, fatigues, etc. Also ask for a "can you stroller as wheelchair tag". This will allow you to roll him either in line or down the handicapped line depending on the line. One thing the parks is, is extremely accomodating for my son! that is why we go back time and time again! If you have any other ? don't hesitate to ask!!! We have been doing a Guest assistance card since he was 3 (he is now 10) since he has multiple issues!!!
    Thanks Shellyb.. I so don't want anyone to think we are "using" the system to get something other than comfort for him. When they talk to him it is evident that he is has issues as he can't say his name (thus the reason he will be wearing an Id bracelet) and he will more than likely wear shorts which will allow them to "see" he has AFO's which kind of helps them get a small idea. He is usually a good kid but 6 days and all the possible "overstimulation" we could be looking at and adding extra heat onto those plastic AFO's... ugh. Praying and crossing fingers..lol. Every little thing helps ya know? Did you use the handicap line a lot? When he was younger did you guys do the "parent swap" ever? I am traveling with my CP boy, my 3 year old, my 19 yr old, dh and 15 yr old nephew.. so we thought swapping on some would be a good idea as the 3 year old is short and won't get on a few of the bigger rides and I don't feel comfy leaving the boys with the big boys as they can get away to quickly in a park that size. Ideas?
    \
    Sarah k
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

Sarah - Can 100% relate to you!! My son "looks" normal until he opens his mouth and no words come out and he starts screaming like a 8 month old that the line is 2 long!!! We actually don't stand in the lines. We have learned that it is pure torture for him and the people around him. Seriously.... He ends up trying to poke people, kick them, etc. they get annoyed and we were stressed just 30 minutes into the parks.... We use the handicapped lines or alternate lines whenever they are available. THe only ride we do not use it on is Pirates of the Caribbean. That is becuase they have a nice single type file line that they let us take his chair down. We have never done the parent swap thing. When he was smaller we skipped the coasters. Now he wants to go on them!! My advice is simple.... people truly do not realize what we deal with on a daily basis with our children...this is the one place that they get a little extra special treatment in life!!! Let them have it!!! I hope you have an awesome trip. I am trying to convince the hubby to go back in june. We usually go in August and last year it was go so unbearably hot....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shellyb627 View Post
    Sarah - Can 100% relate to you!! My son "looks" normal until he opens his mouth and no words come out and he starts screaming like a 8 month old that the line is 2 long!!! We actually don't stand in the lines. We have learned that it is pure torture for him and the people around him. Seriously.... He ends up trying to poke people, kick them, etc. they get annoyed and we were stressed just 30 minutes into the parks.... We use the handicapped lines or alternate lines whenever they are available. THe only ride we do not use it on is Pirates of the Caribbean. That is becuase they have a nice single type file line that they let us take his chair down. We have never done the parent swap thing. When he was smaller we skipped the coasters. Now he wants to go on them!! My advice is simple.... people truly do not realize what we deal with on a daily basis with our children...this is the one place that they get a little extra special treatment in life!!! Let them have it!!! I hope you have an awesome trip. I am trying to convince the hubby to go back in june. We usually go in August and last year it was go so unbearably hot....
    Shellyb,
    We are actually going in June too. Thank you so much for just taking time to share your heart. I feel like my feelings and fears aren't so silly now. I so just want my baby to feel normal as possible and have a "dream" time too. He deserves that. They all do. My fear of the GAC card is that we are traveling as 8 now. An Aunt and unlce are joining us. I guess I can just either let him go twice or split up? There are so many things to think about. I am trying so hard to not stress before we go..lol. I am sure it will all work out! I have faith in Disney and its cast members to make sure he has a great time! Thank you again for validating my feelings and fears. And I hope to maybe see you up there!
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?

Post Thanks / Like

SARAH - Just want to mention that they will only issue a GAC for up to 6 people. We went xmas time once and had more than 6 and found that out. They do check!!! Don't want to be a bummer!!! They said they had to institute the rule becuase of GAC card abuse when I asked them why!! sad but true. Sorry, just want you to totally totally prepared@!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't in a million years imagine why anyone would question or criticize you for using the assists put in place exactly for this. And if they do, they are obviously to ignorant to worry about! I hope you have a GREAT trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom2morgan View Post
    I can't in a million years imagine why anyone would question or criticize you for using the assists put in place exactly for this. And if they do, they are obviously to ignorant to worry about! I hope you have a GREAT trip.
    Thank you! I guess I am just worried because he comes out the gate so "normal" to onlookers..lol. Then I seriously start to think about my child, it could be because I am around him so much that his needs just aren't apparent to me anymore. He is adopted and Asian so we already get stared at as we are a mixed family, so that doesn't phase me anymore. When outsiders that are entering our "care" relm ask me questions about Jer that is when I go.. "come to think of it, yeah he does do that".
    But yes you are right, it is THEIR problem not ours if they question his disabilites. Thank you for that.
    Sarah K.
    2003 Music - 2004 Cabins
    2006 DW Movies
    2015 Disneyworld Sports
    2017 DL?