Quantcast DCA...what a MESS!!!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DCA...what a MESS!!!

Just returned from a short hop over to DCA this morning.

Man...that entire park is a mess right now! The only two areas where you did not have to listen to ear splitting jackhammering and heavy construction (land moving) equipment was at Redwood Creek Challenge Trail and Bug's Land. The noise was a bit over the top in the other areas, particularly on the side of Paradise Bay near the Silly Symphony Swings.

In addition, walkways were closed leading to different areas and there was a general lack of signage notifying guests of this. For example, the entire sidewalk between Silly Swings and the Fun Wheel was blocked off, and you didn't figure it out until you were all the way over there, and then it just dead ended. LOTS of people were then having to turn around and head back along a sidewalk that is now about 1/4 of its previous width. Not good.

While it's always nice to see progress, at this point, the work is really cutting into the guest experience in a bad way. I feel like Disney really needs to reassess the ticketing options regarding this park. While I have an AP, and it makes no difference to me, it seems really wrong of Disney to be charging people close to $100 for entry into this park. I feel like, until this MASSIVE amount of construction work is done, they'd do well to just combine the tickets and make them ALL park hoppers.

In addition to all the work being done, several rides are closed for refurbishment, including Grizzly River Run and Playhouse Disney. There's not a whole lot else to do these days...it's a "2 hour" park at best now.

On the up side, Goofy's Sky School is really coming along quickly. The track is painted a nice shade of blue, and portions of the track are white, to simulate clouds. This ride looks like it will be pretty neat when done!

Also, about 2/3 of the exterior of the Little Mermaid attraction building is now complete. Looks nice. Seems like they are working very hard right now on the queue area.

And, LOTS of work being done on the entrance plaza now, near the old fountain site. The "coming soon" attraction walls are a very nice touch, listing "ads" for all the new shops, restaurants, and rides. A+ to Disney on themeing the walls!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This is exactly why I've put off a return trip out west.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I'd honestly advise anyone from out of the area to STAY AWAY until the entire project is completed. Sadly, we're leaving the area this summer for good, so we won't get to be here when it's all said and done. We'll be back, though!

With this, the construction over at the DL Hotel, and NOW finding out that Disneyland closed off an ENTIRE LAND (Critter Country) for the next six weeks, out of town visitors are going to feel quite slighted.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt it, but do they have any signs out in front of DCA advising people on how much construction there is? At least the park got the love it needed. The construction looks insane...
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWfanatic742 View Post
    I doubt it, but do they have any signs out in front of DCA advising people on how much construction there is? At least the park got the love it needed. The construction looks insane...
    No, there are no signs. However, the work being done can be seen from the outside as well. There are huge cranes, exposed steelwork, bulldozers, etc. All this can be seen before you even enter the park.

I would HOPE that the people selling tickets are at least advising people of the extent of the work being done in there (especially when they see people buying one day, one park tickets for DCA), but I doubt that.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I've been wanting to take a trip to Disneyland for some time now, and actually looked into a summer 2011 trip, but decided against it as soon as I read the extent of the construction. I felt that as a first time visitor it would immensely tarnish my first impression of the "original".

Natalie, when do you think will be a good time for a first visit? My husband is wanting to do a half ironman race in California in July of 2012, and we are hoping to drive there, make a two week vacation out of it, and visit Disneyland then. Do you think it'll mostly be done by then?
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    My husband is wanting to do a half ironman race in California in July of 2012, and we are hoping to drive there, make a two week vacation out of it, and visit Disneyland then. Do you think it'll mostly be done by then?
    Good question. My husband wants to run the Disneyland 1/2 marathon in 2012, so I'd be interested in knowing what will be done by that time as well.

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

With the construction projects taking place now (all of those construction walls around the park)- the first portion to be completed will be the work in Paradise Pier to debut before the peak summer season kicks off this year.

In addition to the Little Mermaid attraction, Goofy's Sky School, and the Paradise Garden dining area (taking over the area once occupied by Pizza Oom Mow Mow, Burger Invasion and the S.S. Rustworthy) should be complete by then.

The major transportation at the front of the park of Sunshine Plaza into Buena Vista Street should be complete by Spring, 2012- but a majority of the crazy activity will kick off this August and is going to be pretty complicated.

At the beginning of August, the shops on the west side of Sunshine Plaza (Bu-r-r Bank Ice Cream, Engine-Ear Toys and Baker's Field Bakery) will close for their transformation to the new Buena Vista theme.

At the end of the month, the other side of Sunshine Plaza (the Greetings from California store) will close so they can start work. Meanwhile, that is when the new entrance turnstyles themed to the former Pan Pacific Auditorium should open- however, guests will then be routed through a temporary detour around the construction zone and directed into the park in between Soarin' and the Grand Californian hotel.

However this phase will also be one of the most exciting because you start to really see the new identity of the park take shape as the Carthay Circle Theater goes vertical.

Cars Land (with Radiator Springs Racers, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and Luigi's Roamin' Tires) is shooting for a Summer 2012 debut.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the timeline Mufasa! Clearly, the work being done around Paradise Pier is in high gear, and I can imagine its completion has to be right around the corner. I can't wait to try out Goofy's Sky School (Mulholland was the ONLY coaster my older son will go on) and the Little Mermaid attraction! Also, it will be nice to have new eateries to choose from.

I enjoy watching the progress on the Cadillac Mountain Range at Carsland too! It's starting to look like REAL rock formations.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    I've been wanting to take a trip to Disneyland for some time now, and actually looked into a summer 2011 trip, but decided against it as soon as I read the extent of the construction. I felt that as a first time visitor it would immensely tarnish my first impression of the "original".

Natalie, when do you think will be a good time for a first visit? My husband is wanting to do a half ironman race in California in July of 2012, and we are hoping to drive there, make a two week vacation out of it, and visit Disneyland then. Do you think it'll mostly be done by then?
    July 2012 will probably be a PERFECT time to visit. I think the entire DCA project should be completed by that time. You could be among the first to experience Carsland!

Honestly, don't come this summer! I actually get sad when I think about all the "first timers" or "once in a lifetimers" who are visiting now and have to see DCA like this. I actually am one of the people who enjoyed the park as it was before, but I recognize that this overhaul is needed. However, the "old" DCA is already mostly gone. It's essentially going to be a new park when it's finished. Might as well wait to see THAT than visit during this "identity crisis" phase.

Plus, if you wait until Summer 2012, you can stay at the renovated DLH and I bet your kids will love the monorail waterslides!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

We're going towards the end of March (21-25) and have never been to DCA. Is it even worth doing or would we be better off just doing a single day in Disneyland? Which rides are closed for construction? We have 15-year-old twins if that makes a difference.

TIA
    Holly
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    "Think of the safety. Think of the sense of well-being. At last, your family can be protected from the heartbreak of gorilla invasion." Dr. B. Honeydew

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HollyB View Post
    Is it even worth doing or would we be better off just doing a single day in Disneyland? Which rides are closed for construction? We have 15-year-old twins if that makes a difference.
    Mulholland Madness (changing to Goofy's Sky School) is the only attraction that is down due to the construction.

Playhouse Disney just closed for a seasonal refurbishment through March 24th.

Everything else should be operating at DCA.

Disneyland at this time isn't immune from the construction walls- they are up along the western part of Main Street and through Central Plaza (blocking some views of the castle) for repaving and replacement of the horse drawn trolley tracks but that work should progress fairly quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    July 2012 will probably be a PERFECT time to visit. I think the entire DCA project should be completed by that time. You could be among the first to experience Carsland!

Honestly, don't come this summer! I actually get sad when I think about all the "first timers" or "once in a lifetimers" who are visiting now and have to see DCA like this. I actually am one of the people who enjoyed the park as it was before, but I recognize that this overhaul is needed. However, the "old" DCA is already mostly gone. It's essentially going to be a new park when it's finished. Might as well wait to see THAT than visit during this "identity crisis" phase.

Plus, if you wait until Summer 2012, you can stay at the renovated DLH and I bet your kids will love the monorail waterslides!
    That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. We've waited a long time to go to DL, and I imagine it may be a once in a lifetime trip so we decided, as soon as I read of all that is going on, that this year is definitely not the time for us to go. And the only resort I have any interest in staying in is the DLH so we wanted to wait for that project to be finished as well. We've seen pictures of the new rooms, LOVE them. And my boys were thrilled when they saw the new monorail slides that the resort is getting. I have to admit that I'm a little sad I never got to see the Neverland pool or the fountains. I'm so glad I had a place like Intercot to go to. Like you, I feel terrible for the people visiting this year who have no idea what's going on there.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HollyB View Post
    We're going towards the end of March (21-25) and have never been to DCA. Is it even worth doing or would we be better off just doing a single day in Disneyland? Which rides are closed for construction? We have 15-year-old twins if that makes a difference.

TIA
    I'd skip it UNLESS you can get a ticket hopper deal that is reasonable. Your 15 year olds will love California Screamin and Tower of Terror. However, I'd definitely not skip at day at DL in lieu of going to DCA.

Also, be aware that Splash Mtn. at DL is down for refurbishment until May 26. ALL of Critter Country is closed right now (walled off), for the next six weeks, at least. So, that entire area might be off limits at DL park during your visit.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

We plan on going in Oct 2011 and staying at Grand Cal. With our vacation club points. We have been to DL before but this will be the first with kids. My question is with the hotel being so close to the park am I going to be hearing the construction at night? I'm hoping they don't do construction overnight. I know at WDW they can get away with more overnight construction.

So what to do go to DL or WDW....wish I could do both
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Just returned from a short hop over to DCA this morning.

Man...that entire park is a mess right now! The only two areas where you did not have to listen to ear splitting jackhammering and heavy construction (land moving) equipment was at Redwood Creek Challenge Trail and Bug's Land. The noise was a bit over the top in the other areas, particularly on the side of Paradise Bay near the Silly Symphony Swings.

In addition, walkways were closed leading to different areas and there was a general lack of signage notifying guests of this. For example, the entire sidewalk between Silly Swings and the Fun Wheel was blocked off, and you didn't figure it out until you were all the way over there, and then it just dead ended. LOTS of people were then having to turn around and head back along a sidewalk that is now about 1/4 of its previous width. Not good.

While it's always nice to see progress, at this point, the work is really cutting into the guest experience in a bad way. I feel like Disney really needs to reassess the ticketing options regarding this park. While I have an AP, and it makes no difference to me, it seems really wrong of Disney to be charging people close to $100 for entry into this park. I feel like, until this MASSIVE amount of construction work is done, they'd do well to just combine the tickets and make them ALL park hoppers.

In addition to all the work being done, several rides are closed for refurbishment, including Grizzly River Run and Playhouse Disney. There's not a whole lot else to do these days...it's a "2 hour" park at best now.

On the up side, Goofy's Sky School is really coming along quickly. The track is painted a nice shade of blue, and portions of the track are white, to simulate clouds. This ride looks like it will be pretty neat when done!

Also, about 2/3 of the exterior of the Little Mermaid attraction building is now complete. Looks nice. Seems like they are working very hard right now on the queue area.

And, LOTS of work being done on the entrance plaza now, near the old fountain site. The "coming soon" attraction walls are a very nice touch, listing "ads" for all the new shops, restaurants, and rides. A+ to Disney on themeing the walls!
    Is it really this bad. You are making me want to cry. We are taking my 83 year old fil to DL on Feb.12th. The last time he was there with my dh was when he was 7. He is 53 now. We are getting discounted 3 day hopper passes. The construction won't bother me because I love all things disney. We won't have many chances to spend this kind of time with him. I want him to be comfortable and have fun... Please give me something positive....
    TRACEY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerlovr9000 View Post
    Is it really this bad. You are making me want to cry. We are taking my 83 year old fil to DL on Feb.12th. The last time he was there with my dh was when he was 7. He is 53 now. We are getting discounted 3 day hopper passes. The construction won't bother me because I love all things disney. We won't have many chances to spend this kind of time with him. I want him to be comfortable and have fun... Please give me something positive....
    I wouldn't get that upset about it. However, I'm not really sure that DCA is the best park for your FIL. There really isn't much there that he might enjoy. I can say maybe he'd like Soarin' and maybe the Aladdin show, but that's about all I can think that he'd enjoy. He certainly isn't really going to appreciate "just walking around and taking it all in" at DCA. The construction work is VERY heavy, and quite loud and intrusive. It's the nature of such a project.

There is still a lot to enjoy at DLR. I'm sure you will all still enjoy Disneyland. The area around the Rivers of America is particularly enjoyable for its atmosphere and people watching. Critter Country is closed right now, and the entire left side of Main Street is walled off, so the main st. vehicles are not running right now. A little of the charm of Main St. is lost right now, unfortunately.

I'm sure you will still have a good time. Just try to keep a positive outlook!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I just returned last week from a 4-day trip with my 72 year old dad and his 70 year old girlfriend. My dad is a frequent vistor but it was his girlfriend's first time to DCA and she hadn't been to DL in over 25 years. We had a fantastic time! There was plenty to keep us busy especially since we were taking a "slower" pace. Lots of stops to enjoy the views. The construction was heavy but it didn't damper the mood. We even walked all the way back to TSMM twice! (Which is the entire length of the old parking lot as my dad pointed out!) With Park Hoppers, we spent a few hours in DCA and then headed over to DL. We loved the Pacific Wharf for lunch and my dad "made" us ride TOT five times during our trip. We enjoyed Aladdin, A Bug's Life, the Muppets and Soarin' plus ice cream in the Plaza. I thought we had a two great 1/2 days at DCA and honestly I didn't notice the construction noise too much.

DL is more compact than MK or any WDW park so it is easy to get around quickly. Plus when we were tired, we just hopped on the Disneyland Railroad for a spin around the park.

I'm sure you all will have a great time when you visit California and the DLR!!

Post Thanks / Like

Badkitty:

Your dad sounds awesome! TOT? Love it!

If you have adventurous "elders" in your group, then I agree that DCA will still be enjoyable right now.

I forgot to mention Soarin. That was a favorite of my parents and in laws as well.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    It wasn't a mess like that in December, Mel. You would have been fine going then.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: