Quantcast Disney Dream - Why not 7 nights? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    And, sorry, but Disney will never be in the luxury category alongside Seabourn and others. Not even close. They might want to be there, but they have a long ways to go to attain that sort of status. And, premuim lines don't build mega ships...
    I didn't say they were in that category. I said I think that's where they're trying to position themselves with the new ships.

The point was ... don't look for prices to drop with the new ships. That was all.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    Natalie,
    I actually think you'll be fine waiting to book closer to your dates. We've been trying to plan a Disney cruise for our family for a while now, just never can seem to make it happen. Anyway, I've looked at rates around 3 months out and that's actually about the time military discounts come out. Over the past 2 years I've found that they don't release military discounts till maybe 3 or 4 months out, definitely no more than 6 months out. I imagine the reason is to fill as many unoccupied cabins as they can. And from what I've seen the military discounts have been pretty decent. Our plan is similiar to yours. We don't really care where our room is located, or what type of room we get so we plan to wait for military discounts and book then. That is if we ever get around to actually doing it. LOL.
    Isn't it fun trying to plan vacations in the military...

It took us five years to get to WDW as a family. We're HOPING we can make it on a Disney cruise in summer 2012, so thanks for the reassurance. Like you, I obsessively look at these cruises with a less than 3 month window, just to keep tabs on how much availability there is, and the prices. I'm pretty confident that we'll be able to make it, since we're not picky about our room type.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I didn't say they were in that category. I said I think that's where they're trying to position themselves with the new ships.

The point was ... don't look for prices to drop with the new ships. That was all.
    I guess I misunderstood then; sorry! I thought you meant that Disney was trying to imply that their new ships were at that level.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I thought you meant that Disney was trying to imply that their new ships were at that level.
    No, then you didn't misunderstand. That is what I'm saying.

Disney Cruise Line wants to position themselves as a luxury line. I wasn't trying to say that I actually think they're up to that level of standard and service (quite honestly I've never cruised with Seabourn or any of the top tier lines), but I do think that's where Disney is headed.

Okay, so maybe not exactly to the standard of a Seabourn but definitely a luxury line.
    Last edited by Ian; 01-30-2011 at 09:21 AM.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

This thread had me thinking, so just for giggles I decided to price out roughly comparable cruises between Disney and Seabourn.

Since Seabourn really only has suite accomodations, I compared a 1BR concierge suite on the Disney Fantasy, 7 night Caribbean cruise, to a Classic Suite on Seabourn, 7 night Caribbean cruise. As best I could tell, the Classic Suite was as close to the Fantasy's 1BR cabin as they had.

Fantasy fare for 2 adults? $10,906.47. Seabourn fare for 2 adults? $10,200.00.

So Disney actually looked to be more expensive than Seabourn was!
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

What have we told you about thinking ?

No doubt about it - - DCL is expen$ive.

But in my unsolicited humble opinion..... it's soooooo worth it!
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Disney Cruise Line wants to position themselves as a luxury line.
    So Disney actually looked to be more expensive than Seabourn was!
    This is disappointing. Disney has prided itself on affordable family vacations. Most families have more than 2 people and most average families in today's economy can't afford the prices Ian found.

I priced the fantasy for a family of 4 with the cheapest room (standard inside stateroom) and the prices is still $5000-$6000 (traveling summer months).

By removing the Magic and Wonder away from Port Canaveral, it now removes the option for us to take an affordable Disney cruise. The Alaska and Mediterranean prices are also seriously high due to the travel to get to those ports.

I hope they change their approach and offer reasonable prices to those of us middle income families trying to save for our children's college and retirement.
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    But in my unsolicited humble opinion..... it's soooooo worth it!
    Having never cruised with Seabourn, I certainly can't compare the two directly, but I will say that based on my experience on the Dream I think it's worth it, as well.

It's a gorgeous ship, with tons of great amenities, beautiful cabins, and really good food.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFr33k View Post
    This is disappointing. Disney has prided itself on affordable family vacations ... I hope they change their approach and offer reasonable prices to those of us middle income families trying to save for our children's college and retirement.
    It is interesting. Disney does seem to go out of their way to try and provide affordable family options at WDW. At least in terms of resorts anyway.

I just don't think they see the cruiseline the same way, though. I think they're somewhat cognizant and try to be respectful of the fact that most families view WDW as a "must do" at some point in their lives. They want to make sure that quintessentially American experience is available to as many folks as possible, while still allowing them to maintain margins.

Not so the cruise line, though. That's a luxury brand and it's priced accordingly.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I think they're somewhat cognizant and try to be respectful of the fact that most families view WDW as a "must do" at some point in their lives. They want to make sure that quintessentially American experience is available to as many folks as possible, while still allowing them to maintain margins.

Not so the cruise line, though. That's a luxury brand and it's priced accordingly.
    This is true. However, I believe they underestimate the power of the Disney World addiction. Our family went to WDW when our children were 4 & 6. Since then, we've been back 7 times as it has brought such magical experiences. We've also been on 3 Disney cruises. Now that our children are older (middle/high school), they are less about WDW and more into the social fun the boat offers.

I wish they could offer them both affordably.

Now that the Wonder and Magic are gone, then the wonder and magic of a Disney cruise is gone too.
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

The Disney vs. Seabourn price comparison is not really fair. Seabourn, being a luxury line, offers FAR more in terms of the cruise experience than Disney does, even in Disney's suite category. Seabourn ships max out at 450 passengers (their other ships are smaller "yachts" with 280 passengers). There is far more intimacy on those ships, with the best crew to passenger ratios in the industry, which translates into better personalized service. The food, though, is what really sets these lines apart. It's comparable to Victoria and Albert's fare during every meal. While the new Disney ships have added premium dining rooms to the ships, they come at an added surcharge, so the value is just not the same. To get the same level of dining that is standard on a Seabourn cruise, you'd have to eat at Remy or Palo every meal of your Disney cruise! Plus, these cruises prices include alcohol and gratuities. People take the "sophistication" aspect of Seabourn cruises VERY seriously, and everyone dresses up to the nines for dinner. Everyone also, at some point, dines with the captain and first officers of the ship. There are no children on Seabourn cruises. There are no children's spaces, and even for adults, recreation is sparse. These cruises target older travelers (60+) and those seeking a truly once in a lifetime, exotic travel experience.

All the luxury lines are similar. They are not family ships. Disney, while they may charge an arm and a leg for their concierge/suite categories, will NEVER be considered a Premuim Luxury line, no matter what they do, simply by virtue of what defines the Luxury Cruise industry.

And, to be fair, Disney's price for suites is comparable to (and also cheaper than) the larger suites onboard the new Oasis and Allure by RCCL. Try booking an Aquatheatre suite on one of THOSE ships. Ouch!

Disney will always be in direct competition with RCCL, Carnival, and NCL. I would HOPE that Disney will continue to rise above them in terms of quality of the ships, service, entertainment, and food. With the addition of the new ships, I don't doubt they are positioned at the top.

With all that said, Disney cruises are still relatively affordable. They are more expensive (per day) than a WDW vacation, but not by much if you compare it comparably. By that, I mean, you have to compare a comparable number of days worth, at a Deluxe level resort, WITH the Deluxe Disney Dining Plan (because you get unlimited food/non alcoholic drinks on the cruise ships) when you compare WDW to a cruise.

A 7 day cruise averages out to $150-200 per person, per day. Some cruises are cheaper, some more expensive, and cabin types have a HUGE influence on how much your cruise will cost.

I think you'd probably find that WDW vacations tend to cost about that much, when you break it down per person, per day. To be fair, you'd need to consider park hopper tickets for all days of your stay, since the cruise ships include all recreation/activities onboard.

We're looking at a 5 or 7 day cruise for June or July 2012. Using rack rates, we'd pay MORE for a week at WDW in a deluxe resort than we would on a cruise in an Deluxe Family Outside cabin.

What kills me is those prices for 3-5 night itineraries in the summer. They are just insane!!! We might go for the 7 day cruise only since we're already forking over so much money, what's a little more?

And, my gripe in general is based on what I've paid for cruises in the past. I'm used to paying WELL under $1000 per person for a week long cruise. Those were the days BEFORE kids, though, when DH and I could get away with the cheapest inside cabin on the ship!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I'd just suggest that everyone wait until they actually cruise the Dream before passing final judgement.

It's a really beautiful staff and the dining was pretty darn good all around ... not just at Palo.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I'd just suggest that everyone wait until they actually cruise the Dream before passing final judgement.

It's a really beautiful staff and the dining was pretty darn good all around ... not just at Palo.
    I'm also interested in getting reviews from its first actual sailing with real, PAYING guests! Should be interesting. I've been on Inaugural/special travel agent cruises before (with my mom) and they always bend over backwards to make those experiences beyond stellar. Remember, they are trying to get agents to recommend these ships to clients. Things change once the paying guests get onboard.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFr33k View Post
    This is true. Now that the Wonder and Magic are gone, then the wonder and magic of a Disney cruise is gone too.
    Ah, but we still can Dream and hopefully your cruise will be more than a Fantasy!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    Ah, but we still can Dream and hopefully your cruise will be more than a Fantasy!
    True, and maybe I'll win the lottery and can afford it!
    - Elastigirl

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: