Quantcast Healthy Living Club 2011 - Page 5

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    Ok, thanks! Understanding what's happening makes me feel a little bit better. I know I don't burn anywhere near the calories as you do biking, but I have been trying to add to the work out in small ways. If you maintain the same workout will the same thing happen with your hunger in cycles?
    You should eventually hit a place where you won't start craving more food and it shouldn't go in cycles; although a lot will depend on your willpower to stick with the nutrition plan and exercise regime.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I mentioned the Glycemic Index in a post not long ago and was curious if anyone here knew or cared what it was all about. Diabetics and fitness buffs probably know what it is, but most of us are usually in the dark. The following is a brief primer on the Glycemic Index. I would like to thank David Mendosa for a lot of this information. He is a guru in the field of living with diabetes. One thing I noticed in researching this post is that just about every source I tapped listed the same foods with differing GI indices. It can get confusing.

The Glycemic Index started as a way to assist diabetics in controlling their blood sugar levels but quickly became a way to assist the obese in losing weight and controlling cravings. The GI measures how your blood sugar will rise after eating certain foods and how your body will respond to that food. Any time you eat food, your body will try to break it down into glucose, fibre, elements or simple proteins that the body can use to rebuild or continue to run. Your body, and especially your brain, needs glucose as a fast form of energy.

In order for your body to get sugar into your body cells, your body releases insulin. If you are in a state of rest and not using a lot of energy, the insulin will promote fat production. If you have just finished a strenuous workout and are running out of energy, high GI foods will replenish your depleted glucose levels and the increase in insulin in your blood will actually promote muscle development. You also need protein here to effect the repairs.

Foods with a high GI level will give you a lot of sugar really fast. Foods with low GI levels will give you less. Foods like whole wheat bread have a high GI index, but it also has a lot of insoluble fibre in it that slows down the absorption of sugar. This gives you a great balance of sugar over a longer time, evening out the spikes, and dietary fibre that will promote a nice, sparkling clean colon and reduced cholesterol levels.

Foods with fat and protein do not raise your sugar levels much; but carbs do. Carbohydrate laden foods are our most common source of sugars. All these foods have differing GI levels. It’s up to you to decide on which foods will give you optimum level for your condition and exertion level.

Beer will give you a higher spike than sugar! The holy of holies, the quintessential dieter's turn-to food, the baked potato actually has a higher GI index than boiled potatoes, but sweet potatoes are lower still. Mixing sweet and white potatoes will give you a middle of the road GI rating and is very tasty. Check out Glycemic Index on the internet to find some very comprehensive lists of foods and their levels.

Some foods that have the same GI levels can actually have a different Glycemic Load level.

But, that’s a story for another day.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the GI info! I think that's definitely the kind of information that you need to work up to. Until recently, I didn't even know that potatoes and corn were considered carbs. Thankfully, I love sweet potatoes and will have one every once in awhile for a meal, depending on what else I've had during the day. I'm still working on balancing my carbs, protiens, veggies, etc. I also didn't realize until recently that most of the time I was eating the same type of meals and snacks all day long! Mostly carbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Another interesting fact for me is that the body can only process a certain amount of protein in a meal. I believe it's around 4-6oz. I always knew those mammoth sized burgers advertised on TV weren't good for us (for reasons other than calories & fat).
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    Another interesting fact for me is that the body can only process a certain amount of protein in a meal. I believe it's around 4-6oz. I always knew those mammoth sized burgers advertised on TV weren't good for us (for reasons other than calories & fat).
    Did you know that plate sizes in restaurants have increased from ten inches to 12 inches in the last 20 years?

This has led to a 20% increase in caloric intake. Even eating 20% more healthy food is still 20% more food than before. Eight ounce steaks have grown to ten, 12 and 16 ounce steaks. And they make you feel less than a man if you order the "Lady Cut" or smaller steak.

Does anyone remember getting an old 6 ounce bottle of Coke from a vending machine years ago? I loved it. It was just the right amount for a snack. Then came the 8 and 12 ounce bottles, the 330 and 383 mL cans. They are now selling most soft drinks in the 16 ounce or 591 mL bottles. I was recently teaching in a soft drink bottling plant (I won't say which one, but they are probably all going to go this route) and they had a marketing meeting for their on-road sales reps for single serving, 710 mL bottles! A 750 mL bottle of pop used to give us all a drink for a meal on the road when we were travelling.

To give you more food for thought, (pun fully intended) we were coming home from our last trip to WDW last week and I had to stop and get gas at a Speedy Gas station I think it was, (thanks for the relatively cheap gas, by the way) and saw a drink dispenser in the store when paying for the gas. It offered 64 ounce soft drinks! Any and every kind you could think of!

64 ounces! When I was a kid, a 48 ounce juice can would serve all of us 5 kids breakfast juice for almost a week! (Well, Mom was cheap and money was scarce.)

Make certain that when choosing your food and portions, you choose wisely. The same amount of food that fills you and a 10 inch plate will look paltry on a 12 inch plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Good points! I don't drink soda, but I'm stunned at how big those bottles and cups are. I downsized to a salad plate for meals over a year ago and I definitely eat more reasonable amounts now. That being said, I'm still surprised at how often I'll keep eating when I'm full! At least I'm mindful of it now and working on it. And the juice thing, remember when a juice glass was a small glass? We have vintage glasses and I use the smaller ones for juice.

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to post a word of warning to all during this extremely hot weather we are facing.

That word is:

HYDRATE!

You don't have to be scarfing down Gator-Aid or Power-Aid. Just drink plenty of water.

I was out for a ride one day last week when it was extremely warm with lots of humidity and a really strong westerly wind. My ride was just over 20 km - not a long ride, just an average ride.

I was about 3/4 of the way back home heading into the wind when I hit the wall!

I have only done this once before, and that was at a fire.

I literally wanted to climb off the bike, call my beloved wife and have her come pick me up. I struggled through and managed to get home but at a very reduced speed.

When I got home, I went to the bathroom to relieve myself - and couldn't! I was so dehydrated and didn't realise it.

Two litres of water later and I was feeling normal again.

Just everyone remember, take it easy in this extreme weather that seems to be blanketing much of North America.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hit a long plateau, need suggestions

I started WW the last week in January. It was smooth sailing through August and I was so pleased but now it's come to a stall. I really don't want to give up but am becoming sooooo discouraged. I have lost 50 lbs but still would like to lose some more.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    I started WW the last week in January. It was smooth sailing through August and I was so pleased but now it's come to a stall. I really don't want to give up but am becoming sooooo discouraged. I have lost 50 lbs but still would like to lose some more.
    What is your final goal?

I know the weight-loss campaign is different for everyone but you're doing FANTASTIC! 50lbs is a huge deal. Even 10lbs is a big deal if you can maintain the loss. Shoot for smaller goals at this point. Maybe a 3-5lb weight-loss for that getaway, party or family reunion. Ultimately this is a life long journey so you really do have time to complete it.

I know you look and feel better (how can you not?). You must have a whole new wardrobe by now. I read that we should get rid of the older, larger clothes because they sabotage our efforts. If we know we have something larger to fall back into, we're not as motivated. Even though I was nervous, I did this and I've found a lot of truth in the sentiments.

You've come so far. Congratulations and good luck with your continued efforts.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Keep going Lynn. You will make it . This just a temporary plateau.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    You're doing great to already be down 50 so don't get discouraged! I have a brother who lost over 100 and that probably took a year and a half. Even if you don't see the results in lbs a particular week or few week stretch, just remember you're 50 lbs healthier than you were.

As far as tips, WW may already cover all of this, but if you're plateaued, you might look at incremental changes you can make. Swap out any soda/fruit juice/sport drinks for water or one of the many (nearly)-zero calorie drinks. If you're walking 30 mins a day up it to 40. Skip watching the evening news or sitcom and go for a walk, that sort of thing.

You've done great, stick with it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    What is your final goal?
    I should have asked this, too. Fifty pounds is a huge loss. Make sure your goal is not only realistic, but also healthy.

Speak with one of the WW counsellors for more help on your plateau situation. They may have more help than any of us could give without really knowing your situation.

Post Thanks / Like

My goal is 30 more so I know my journey still has a way to go. I am starting to switch things up, my son's weightlifting coach suggested adding more healthy oils and lean protein so my body doesn't think it's being shortchanged. Also, lowered the weights I was using and raised the repetitions and changed up the elliptical programing. Basically drink just coffee and water (lots of water) so I'm good there. One thing I didn't know though was some of the bottled waters have sodium in them so now I have to read the water labels.

My doctor's a bit perplexed because now, for the first time in my life, my cholesterol is through the roof so now I'm on medication for that. Lose weight, raise cholesterol????

I may try to find a WW meeting, up to now I've done it all online and picked up some great tips from the message boards.

Thanks for all the positive thoughts.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: