Quantcast The Future of Imagination and Universe of Energy

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Future of Imagination and Universe of Energy

I was in Epcot earlier this month, and what I saw saddened me: Two of the original pavilions, UoE and JIYI, seem to be on its last legs, at least in their current incarnation. What's also scary is that neither of these pavilions have sponsors, and we all know what happened to a sponsorless WoL, now just a giant meeting/party spot.

With the ongoing recession drying up sponsors and the Florida focus on Fantasyland's enlargement, I doubt anything would change on that front anytime soon.

At least Imagination got a temporary boost with Captain EO returning, but that "engagement" will end sooner than later (Unless this is Disney's timekiller until Fantasyland's done and/or they come up with something new). I guess the question I have is, where do we go from here Epcot fans? What would you do with these pavilions that need some life and some rejuvenation?
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Go back to the orginal Figment!
    Live Life Joyfully!
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="2"]'73 - DL;
    '78, '89 - DW -off property;
    '94, 00, '07 - Dixie Landing; '96 - CBR; '98 - CSR;
    '99 - Disney Cruise;
    '01 - WL Christmas Celebration; '03, '06, '12, '13
    '10 POFQ; '11 POP (2x)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, bring back the original Imagination. For UoE, I would like to see something like the orignal, in the sense it was more of an educational attraction. Since the original though, technology and understanding (in terms of energy) has changed so much they would have to update it accordingly. But of course, keep the dinosaurs!

Post Thanks / Like

The oil companies are making plenty of money. They should have plenty to show us something new in the energy area. How about a gulf oil slick? or a exploding oil well?
    My Disney Homes Away From Home!

Caribbean Beach Resort - 1996, 2021
    All-Star Movies Resort - 2001
    Port Orleans French Quarter Resort - 2004
    All-Star Sports Resort - 2005, 2018 - 2019
    Disney Wonder - 2005
    Pop Century Resort - 2006, 2017
    Animal Kingdom Villas - 2013
    Coronado Springs Resort - 2019

Post Thanks / Like

If Wonder's of Life wasn't closed, I don't think we'd see Universe of Energy still open. But until something opens where Wonders is, Energy is forced to stay open just for capacity reasons on that side of the park.

It's a shame because I really like Universe...
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeddie View Post
    I agree, bring back the original Imagination.

1) Alas, physically impossible.
    . . . track has been removed and destroyed
    . . . ride space has been replaced by gift shop
    . . . sets /cars/mechanisms destroyed
    . . . old system was poorly engineered *
    2) Without a major sponsor, do not look for WDW to invest.
    3) Or, a sponsor to agree to a major upgrade
    . . . Spaceship Earth was dying between sponsors
    . . . Energy is showing major old age
    . . . Body Works died out
    . . . Innovations is weak
    . . . Carousel of Progress is old and tired
    . . . etc

* The original was a technically difficult ride. It would have to be completely redesigned and rebuilt. (READ: Big Bucks) Without a major sponsor, WDW will not make a ride investment.
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    1) Alas, physically impossible.
    . . . track has been removed and destroyed
    I'm not disputing the spirit of your post, but I don't believe this is accurate. I'm pretty sure that the original ride track still exists. If memory serves, some of it is still in use while other parts are just "buried" under new flooring that was installed.

But in general I agree with you ... unless the economy recovers and Disney can find a partner who wants to dump some serious money into the pavilion to bring back the original version, it will never happen. They'd never pony up that kind of cash themselves.

I still think Apple is a no-brainer partner for that pavilion and with Jobs Disney's majority shareholder, I'm amazed they haven't pulled something off yet.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

As nostalgic I get remembering the old Imagination ride and song, and seeing those big dinosaurs in Energy...I gotta say I think it's time to bulldoze both, start from scratch on something new and amazing. After going back to disney for the first time in 20 years a few years back, I could not believe I was sitting in the same giant "traveling theater cars" all beat up and scratched and creaking and squealing as the ride moved. Dont even get me started on the new Imagination...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mogie View Post
    As nostalgic I get remembering the old Imagination ride and song, and seeing those big dinosaurs in Energy...I gotta say I think it's time to bulldoze both, start from scratch on something new and amazing. After going back to disney for the first time in 20 years a few years back, I could not believe I was sitting in the same giant "traveling theater cars" all beat up and scratched and creaking and squealing as the ride moved. Dont even get me started on the new Imagination...
    (First, hi all, new here, long time listener, first time caller.)

In theory, I agree with you: who doesn't want to see exciting new rides? However, as noted above, economic pragmatism says those ideas are a long way off at best.

Caveat: if Disney does some shrewd politicking, they might be able to lean on oil sponsorship to redo Universe of Energy. Follow me here. Right now, the oil companies are facing an ever-expanding PR problem. ExxonMobil is touting the seven scientists in their company that aren't working on finding more oil fields; Chevron's running a fairly insincere "We Agree" television campaign; BP is a four-letter word in many Gulf towns. They're pretty desperate for some good press as an industry.

All the oil companies are concurrently trying to soften their image by emphasizing their commitment to green energy; unfortunately for them, most Americans dismiss it as a typical business canard. Retooling a giant green-energy-intensive attraction at Epcot, however, is a PR coup on many levels. One, they can instantly trumpet job creation in an economy that's begging for it. Two, they can hold a big ribbon-cutting ceremony, pledging their commitment to green tech and saving our blah blah blah. Three, if they and the show writers focus on establishing an iconic (and, more importantly, cute/kid-friendly) mascot a la Figment, they've won the battle of public opinion among families with young kids.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Pretty good post for only #2!

I may be misunderstanding your last point, though, but the current Universe of Energy pavilion is already green. It's powered by those solar panels on the building.

Although I'm not sure at all how much of the attractions power needs are actually met by those panels. Might be only a fraction.
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I still think Apple is a no-brainer partner for that pavilion and with Jobs Disney's majority shareholder, I'm amazed they haven't pulled something off yet.
    I think the big question with Apple is Jobs' health. It came out this morning that he's taking another health-related leave of absence. I'm not one for speculation, but I doubt Apple would pony up at this point.
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty good post for only #2!

I may be misunderstanding your last point, though, but the current Universe of Energy pavilion is already green. It's powered by those solar panels on the building.

Although I'm not sure at all how much of the attractions power needs are actually met by those panels. Might be only a fraction.
    Unless the UofE solar panels were replaced within the past few years, they are far behind the times when it comes to efficiency and output. New solar, of course, costs big bucks; however, by keeping the operating costs down with the day-to-day power savings, it could be a cost-saver the longer it runs. Then, of course, they'd have to redo the HVAC, lighting, etc., to maximize efficiency. So my vote is for overhaul on an unpopular oil company's dime.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sportsguy2315 View Post
    I think the big question with Apple is Jobs' health. It came out this morning that he's taking another health-related leave of absence. I'm not one for speculation, but I doubt Apple would pony up at this point.
    Yeah, I posted that before I read the Jobs news.

Definitely de-stablizes things a bit at Apple.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Also, would Apple abide HP's presence right across the way, and vice versa?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Bird Street View Post
    Also, would Apple abide HP's presence right across the way, and vice versa?
    A very fair point. I think Disney has, historically, tried to avoid having sponsors in competing industries.

In fact, I'm certain that part of their deal with HP includes a clause that they won't have any competing computer hardware sponsors in Epcot for the duration of their agreement.

Very good thought.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

If they aren't going to maintain some theme/purpose for Epcot/Future World and will continue the trend towards it being a generic theme park, I'd rather they do nothing with anything. If they are going to regain some sense of purpose about the whole concept, then by all means I hope they start working on some solid concepts and hit the pavement looking for some forward thinking enterprises out there that want to be attached to something timeless.

Post Thanks / Like

A very fair point. I think Disney has, historically, tried to avoid having sponsors in competing industries.
    Going back to the Imagination pavilion, the whole competing industries argument is why Figment is purple as opposed to green; there was speculation that a green dragon in a Kodak sponsored pavilion may bring up connotations of their competitor Fuji, whose main color is green.
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Going back to the Imagination pavilion, the whole competing industries argument is why Figment is purple as opposed to green; there was speculation that a green dragon in a Kodak sponsored pavilion may bring up connotations of their competitor Fuji, whose main color is green.
    Yep, I had heard that.

Although I'd prefer to think that a purple dragon was viewed as a little more whimsical and ... well ... imaginative than a boring old green one.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Was driving home from work and listening to the Intercot podcast in the car...... and it was suggested that Phineas and Ferb would be a great anchor for a new Imagination ride. I couldnt agree more, they would be perfect, if only I had the money to sponsor it....

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by spinnerf View Post
    Was driving home from work and listening to the Intercot podcast in the car...... and it was suggested that Phineas and Ferb would be a great anchor for a new Imagination ride. I couldnt agree more, they would be perfect, if only I had the money to sponsor it....
    It's strange ... for the most part, Disney seems fairly reluctant to commit any serious money to building attractions around the Disney Channel shows.

About the only place they really showcased the PD characters was in the Studios at the PD Live on Stage Show (which was low risk, since it was just some cheap sets and puppets ... easy switches).

I suspect they don't think the shelf life of these shows is such that it's worth making a big investment in them in terms of a real theme park attraction.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: