Quantcast Fire at WDW Tiki Room - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Actually you're probably right and it occurred to me that duh ... they most likely have insurance?

Or maybe not ... dunno ... maybe they self-insure? Do big companies like this carry insurance?
    Pure speculation on my part, but I could not imagine Disney not self insuring itself for such a small amount of damages. I think they have reinsurance for some catastrophic losses but a small fire is a drop in the bucket for them.

I swear I saw a thing on TV about insurance companies requiring testing of wind loads on the EPCOT ball (sorry I couldn't spell geodesic sphere ) but that it was someone like Lloyd's providing reinsurance, but I could just be full of it.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Certainly nobody short of a Lloyd's would touch Disney. But I'm sure they have some sort of insurance for big losses. I would tend to agree that for this particular incident, they'd not be likely to file a claim but just absorb it. "Cost of doing business." The biggest fish they're going to want to fry in this case is to find out what the heck happened. A fire in an attraction is not something they're going to take lightly -- need to know exactly what went wrong and make sure it never happens again.
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TracyL View Post
    A fire in an attraction is not something they're going to take lightly -- need to know exactly what went wrong and make sure it never happens again.
    I'd wager the other birds got together and torched Iago.

Post Thanks / Like

And I'm now seeing reports that it is back open, presumably under the same management.

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    And I'm now seeing reports that it is back open, presumably under the same management.
    The Tiki Room at WDW is not open- in fact, I think just this weekend it was just added on the MK park times/information guide handouts as being down for temporary refurbishment.

The site in question (which I believe already once before had incorrectly reported the Tiki Room being re-opened on their website) put out a tweet that some other tweeters jumped on without directly confirming any of the information themselves with guests in the park.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've seen, they've had to order another Iago and it won't be re-opened until the spring/summer...
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    The Tiki Room at WDW is not open- in fact, I think just this weekend it was just added on the MK park times/information guide handouts as being down for temporary refurbishment.

The site in question (which I believe already once before had incorrectly reported the Tiki Room being re-opened on their website) put out a tweet that some other tweeters jumped on without directly confirming any of the information themselves with guests in the park.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWfanatic742 View Post
    From what I've seen, they've had to order another Iago and it won't be re-opened until the spring/summer...
    Maybe they can order it WITHOUT Gilbert Gottfried's voice????
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

As of Jan 24 it was not open. They did not have any signs outside but there was a CM at the entrance and all she would say was that it was closed. From the Magic Carpets, it appears that a portion of the "thatched" roof has been replaced. No evidence of fire damage is visible from the outside.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Of course as with anything Disney, this is subject to change, but it has been announced that the Tiki Room is scheduled to re-open March 27.

Post Thanks / Like

3 months is enough time to change the show back to the original
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWfanatic742 View Post
    3 months is enough time to change the show back to the original
    Yeah, sounds like that's a no go. Opening back up the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Yeah, sounds like that's a no go. Opening back up the same.
    Yeah I was kidding but I can dream can't I?

I think I saw something somewhere about minor changes maybe happening, but nothing major and the changes would be very minor if they were to happen...
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy Creek Buccaneer View Post
    Hopefully the NEW MANAGEMENT was destroyed and the bring back the original tiki room.
    I agree 100% !!
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by roses View Post
    No need to worry - its required by law to have more than one exit and cannot be more than a certain distance from each other. I work for another amuesment park company - its scary when this happens - however the staff is completely trained on how to evacuate properly and what to do in these types of situations. With the amount of training we go through - I'm sure Disney does the same - if not more.
    Ooh! I just flashed on Kevin Bacon in "Animal House" yelling and screaming, "Remain Calm! All is well!", before he got trampled.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

I do not care much about either version of the tiki room. I saw the original in Disneyland a few years back and the memory of it as a child at WDW is better than the actual show. I still enjoy some of the songs, though. I was amused by the new management show at first simply because I wanted the show to be updated but I grew tired of it quickly and now believe that the updating could have been done much better, as it destroyed the feel of the original show as opposed to enhancing it.

That said, I hate that the fire happened, but it is kind of funny that Iago got torched. It almost makes it seem like it was done intentionally by a fan of the original. I am glad no one was hurt and I hope it reopens very soon. I am not nieve enough to believe there will be any changes but it is better for something to be in operation there instead of nothing at all.
    I'm a dad! My daughter, Eisley, was born on December 17, 2010.

Regular WDW visitor since 1981

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy Creek Buccaneer View Post
    Hopefully the NEW MANAGEMENT was destroyed and the bring back the original tiki room.
    Amen!
    Every Sunday since 2003
    Rain or Shine
    Cold or Hot
    Once in a hurricane!
    Also, 2 time cast member.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: