Quantcast Ponchos for Large Men ?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ponchos for Large Men ?

We're planning another trip in July, and after 6 summer trips in the last 14 years, my goal this time around is to finally get a decent poncho.

I'm a large guy (6'3", 275), and every poncho I've bought so far (especially the cheap Disney ones) seems to cut off just below my waist, resulting in soaking wet shorts whenever the summer deluge hits (ie, at 3:30 every single day I'm there). I don't mind the rain, but I keep most of my electronics in my short pockets, and I get sick of the rain soaking my money, cell phone, camera, etc.

Anyone have a good source for a high quality , packable poncho that might offer a little more length than the "one size fits all" models ? Any online sources appreciated.

I tried buying an expensive one at REI the other week, but it had the same problem - clearly designed for someone around 5'8", as it didn't even reach my knees.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry - no sources for you.

My husband is 5'10" but also has trouble with the ponchos. He can't ever seem to get in or out of one without tearing it - rendering it useless for future wearings!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know of a place to buy a poncho. I've been on the same hunt as you. I a 6'1, 330 and usually buy a bunch of ponchos for my family and when it does rain I throw one one. I have zip loc bags with me to place my cell phone, glasses and wallet. This is very helpful for water rides as well. Good luck in your search. Hopefully, one of our brothers in girth will have a better suggestion...
    K. White

The magic is within all of us!

WDW Off Site 1978, 1981, 1986, 2005, 2006
    Disneyland- 1980, 1984, 1987
    WL- 6/2008
    Coronado Springs- 6/2009
    PO- Riverside- 6/2010
    AS Music- Solo, 40th Birthday March 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Sorry - no sources for you.

My husband is 5'10" but also has trouble with the ponchos. He can't ever seem to get in or out of one without tearing it - rendering it useless for future wearings!
    Have you tried Target ? They had some real nice, heavy duty ponchos last time I went (in 09). They might work for someone 5'10" .... they were longer than most, and made from a very strong plastic. I doubt he would rip those.

I need to put some serious shopping time in at the local hunting/fishing stores these next couple of weeks. They might have a good solution. Finding one long, heavy duty and yet packable for the parks is going to be a challenge.

Post Thanks / Like

Try a camping supply store, hunting supply, or an Army Navy store.
    Bass Pro
    Cabelas
    Sportsmans Guide
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm...i'm 6'3 almost 300 lbs and have no problem using the Disney ponchos other than having to pull the neck a little to get my head in it. trying an outdoors sporting goods store is a good idea though
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

I'm only 5'5" but I wanted a longer poncho for myself for high school football games / marching band events. I found one at a local sportswear store but have seen similar items on the internet. Do a google search or check ebay. Mine is a coated fabric and came in it's own carrying case. It had open sides that fastened by 2 snaps on each side but I stitched the sides shut for added protection.
    Kathy ºoº

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmee View Post
    hmmm...i'm 6'3 almost 300 lbs and have no problem using the Disney ponchos other than having to pull the neck a little to get my head in it. trying an outdoors sporting goods store is a good idea though
    Don't you have a problem getting the bottom half of your body soaked while walking in the rain ? I find it hard to believe. The Disney ponchos are great on my wife (5'3"), but to think that me, being a foot taller and 100+ more pounds, can wear the same one as her just doesn't make sense.

I'm definitely making a run through the camping and hunting stores over the next couple weeks. If I find one that works, I'll update this thread so future big guys will know where to look.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditch the pancho. They ****. Moist for an entire day in the Magic Kingdom? I think not.

Get an umbrella. They sell them with 'ears' on top.
    1975 & 1977 - Summer - Disneyland
    1991 April - WDW
    1993 April - WDW
    2006 June - Saratoga Springs
    2007 July – Saratoga Springs
    2010 February - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2010 October – AKL Jambo
    2011 July - Old Key West
    2013 October - OKW
    2015 September - AKL Jambo
    2016 September - AKL Jambo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcvalenti View Post
    Have you tried Target ? They had some real nice, heavy duty ponchos last time I went (in 09). They might work for someone 5'10" .... they were longer than most, and made from a very strong plastic. I doubt he would rip those.

I need to put some serious shopping time in at the local hunting/fishing stores these next couple of weeks. They might have a good solution. Finding one long, heavy duty and yet packable for the parks is going to be a challenge.
    Got a Coleman one at Target for around $8 for my 6'8" husband. Heavier than the Disney ones, too.
    91 Co
    8 M
    00,1,2 S
    3 CB 25
    4 P,Mu,AKL
    5 S
    6 Pp,CB,G 30
    7 S/D,CB
    8 CB,G 30
    9 Mu,CBP/Or,P
    10 CBP,P
    11 Mu,Do/Ret,P
    12 Mu,CB,AA AK
    13 P 35
    14 P,CB,Mu
    15 P,FQ,C,M,S

Post Thanks / Like

Try "roughgear" on a search engine and you'll find some extra long ponchos. Not cheap though.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

Just pack a full sized travel umbrella. It will end up being smaller than a poncho. Carry a BACKPACK on days where rain is likely, and just make sure you keep your pack dry!

I always use umbrellas. Ponchos stink...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

i agree w/ just using a zip lock bag for your cell phone, etc... one thing you can do is go to any shop and just ask for a small bag and you can use that if you forget the zip lock bag...
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up ponchos at Dick's Sporting Goods. They are longer and more heavy duty than the Disney ones. I believe they were about $6-8.
    "Are you an Tigger or an Eeyore?" - Randy Pausch

Been to WDW more times than I can count since 1972. Stayed at BLT, AKV, WLV, SSR, POP, CBR, CR, FW Cabins, all the All Stars and also off site. Been to DL 3 times, 4 cruises on the Magic and went on the Dream Inaugural Cruise.

DVC - 7/2008

Post Thanks / Like

just be carefull with zip locked bags for electronics!!

I used to do this all the time.. until that one frightful day at Cedar Point in 90-degree rain weather.

It was pouring down and we decided what the heck lets go on the water rides as well. So i put my wallet, keys and phone in seperate zip-loc baggies for safe keeping.

Well i went to get my phone after the rides and rain stopped (we didn't get drenched because ponchos stopped a lot of the water. But what happened was the water, humidity and whatever else seemed to steam my phone... rendering it useless. The humidty snuck into the baggy and destroyed my phone. From that point on i have never placed electronics in a zip-loc baggie and have never had that problem again.
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

i never travel to disney world with out my small umbrella. i do also have panchos too for the water rides. i do not like to get my hair wet after i spend time on it in the am. and i also don't like to look grubby when i go to a sit down meal. and to be honest a pancho doesn't keep your face or hands dry. i also find that the collar of my shirt tends to get wet and so do my feet with a pancho but i don't have that problem with an umbrella. anyway good luck, i have also seen larger panchos in Dicks sporting goods as well as the hunting and fishing outdoor sporting online stores.

Nichole
    2000 - asmu (1st trip) AUG
    2001 - Off site OCT
    2002 - 2008 POP JAN YEARLY
    2009 - Saratoga Springs SEPT
    2010 - POP NOV 28 - DEC 3
    2011 - POP - OCT 10days
    2013 - POP Feb 23rd - Mar 2nd (originally booked AOA but my family doesn't like change I guess lol)

Post Thanks / Like

I have a packable rain jacket that I use for cool/wet days and bring an emergency rain poncho for the other days just in case.

A packable rain jacket with a backpack or some other type of bag would probably be the way to go.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

A second poncho and a roll of Duck Tape?
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: