Quantcast User Speculation: Marvel, may in fact, after all, come to WDW.

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Default User Speculation: Marvel, may in fact, after all, come to WDW.

OK, tossing this one out there for discussion. Before anyone here tears me down, read first.

Universal, as of now, owns the rights to Marvel characters for their theme parks. As we know, Marvel is, or is in the process of, being removed from Universal Studios Hollywood. And as we know, Disney has purchased Marvel. Disney has to honor the current agreement with allowing Marvel characters to be used in Universal Orlando. That is, until Universal fails to keep up maintenance, or their end of the deal.

And we also know how well Wizarding World of Harry Potter is doing for Universal/IOA. Which led me to ask a few friends of mine how this will affect IOA in the future. Ready? Universal executives no longer view Marvel characters as being a necessary part of IOA anymore. The area is ripe for a rebranding (Transformers anyone?).

This news, plus the possibility of losing the comic character area makes one wonder how long before Disney brings Marvel to WDW? Sure, I know it will take a few years. And we'll see Potter Phase 2 begin by 2012 I believe. But don't count Marvel being around in IOA for years to come. The days of Marvel Island are dwindling.

Remember, this is nothing confirmed as official, just a discussion among friends. This is not really insider news as only executives know what the real plans are. So, please. discuss your feelings toward this. And Mods, if this is in the wrong area, please feel free to move.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly it sounds interesting and does make sense. Universal isn't going to want to upkeep an area that in the end benefits their rivals. Besides the Marvel characters could be part of the boost that Disney needs to get boys interested and to save WDW MK from becoming an overly girlie park. They really do need to find a comfortable middle with how characters are themed into the parks if you ask me.
    Disney nut since 81 and DVC member since 05

Post Thanks / Like

Marvel does nothing for me. Sure, Spiderman is a great ride, Hulk is an incredible coaster, but it's not the characters that make them that way.

Hopefully Disney doens't pull Marvel into the parks, although I think they will. Nothing was more startling to see than Power Rangers walking around MGM. They just don't fit, and it would take a lot to make them fit if you're asking me. An investment that I don't think Disney is going to make. I think they will just throw them in a the parade and march them around a meet & greet area with a few cardboard cut outs...

Post Thanks / Like

right now the only park that I could see Marvel character joinging would be DHS. A new land would need to be created (i.e. superhero land). But I can't think of how they could incorporated to any of the other parks. Disney should focuse more on story telling and not worrying about the competition.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

You know what, I have to agree that the Marvel characters just don't "fit" WDW for me. If there is a need for more "boy" type characters maybe they can come up with more like Buzz and Woody.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

It really will be interesting to see how this plays out. Of course the Hulk coaster, Doctor Doom's fearfall, etc., at IOA could be rethemed, but obviously not the Spider-Man attraction, one of the best and most popular at Universal. I don't think ultimately retheming the area and keeping Spider-Man would be that difficult.

I can see Disney bringing the Marvel characters into the Studios. No, there's no Marvel attraction there, but the Studios has always been a bit of a hodge-podge, with Star Wars, Muppets, Indiana Jones, Aerosmith and Roger Rabbit being included in the park. Having Marvel characters there and maybe eventually an attraction doesn't seem inappropriate to me.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
    It really will be interesting to see how this plays out. Of course the Hulk coaster, Doctor Doom's fearfall, etc., at IOA could be rethemed, but obviously not the Spider-Man attraction, one of the best and most popular at Universal. I don't think ultimately retheming the area and keeping Spider-Man would be that difficult.

I can see Disney bringing the Marvel characters into the Studios. No, there's no Marvel attraction there, but the Studios has always been a bit of a hodge-podge, with Star Wars, Muppets, Indiana Jones, Aerosmith and Roger Rabbit being included in the park. Having Marvel characters there and maybe eventually an attraction doesn't seem inappropriate to me.
    Actually, Spider-man can be rethemed to Transformers pretty easy. The Transformers ride opening in Universal Hollywood is pretty much the next evolution of Spider-man. So, a little more scaled down version can easily fit into the current Spider-man building. And who knows, Universal may even be able to expand the Spidy building if need be.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Mode View Post
    You know what, I have to agree that the Marvel characters just don't "fit" WDW for me. If there is a need for more "boy" type characters maybe they can come up with more like Buzz and Woody.
    Marvel is an obvious boy attention grab. But yes, Disney needs to create their own characters that appeals to boys. Woody and Buzz are characters that appeal to everyone. That is what Disney should do. While I love Marvel, I would also love to see creativity return to The Disney Company.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    right now the only park that I could see Marvel character joinging would be DHS. A new land would need to be created (i.e. superhero land). But I can't think of how they could incorporated to any of the other parks. Disney should focuse more on story telling and not worrying about the competition.
    Bad placement is a major flaw with the design of DHS. The land is locked pretty much. I do not think there is much room to expand. One problem I have with some of the Marvel Universe is the stories take place in real cities. I have designed a remake of Six Flags Great Adventure in NJ to fit the entire DC Universe. I am going to try to work on something for the Marvel Universe and see if I can fit it somewhere in Disney World.

Post Thanks / Like

Disney doesn't need Marvel. Why they bought the franchise is beyond me.What they do need is to use some of the characters they have created or, create new ones like they did for Pirates. Disney already has a great library of movies and characters to draw from. Their imagineers have time after time created new ones for new attractions, just give them the budget and creative space and they will make magic.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

I don't even know what to think of this... I even have a son and I'm not excited about seeing Spiderman in Disney World.
    I don't really care for those type of characters. I do know that some do...but like a previous poster mentioned...Buzz, Woody, Cars, Pirates...these are all Disney characters that we all know and love....make MORE of those......
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

If they did it well and kept it isolated to DHS (yeah right ... ) I'd be okay with it.

But the last thing I want to see is some kind of Superman ride in Adventureland or something.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Actually what I wouldn't mind seeing happen with the Marvel Universe is regional parks based on the Characters rather than trying to squeeze them into a WDW. I think this is a market Disney always wanted to dabble in and this could be a perfect fit without dilluting the Disney Brand. It could also be the oppurtunity to test the concept for a 5th gate at WDW in the distance future.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    If they did it well and kept it isolated to DHS (yeah right ... ) I'd be okay with it.

But the last thing I want to see is some kind of Superman ride in Adventureland or something.
    Good thing cause Superman is not Marvel.... it's DC... LoL..

Interesting topic... I wouldn't mind Marvel coming into WDW, like Ian said, kept at DHS... Marvel would make a great 5th theme park.. But there is not much need for that... The other 4 parks have much more pressing concerns and major issues that need to be addressed...

BTW, couldn't Disney, in theory, expand DHS over the rooad that is just beyond LMA???
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm the opposite of most of you. I'd love to see the Marvel characters show up at WDW. I think a Marvel attraction could most certainly fit in at DHS and a character meet n greet or meal would be welcomed by my family.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I was just at the parks a few weeks ago and they already have sections in the gift shops at all the parks selling this merchandise. Very strange to see that stuff along side Mickey gear and I did not see many people looking at it. Probably a test to see how well it will do first then decide to expand or drop from there.
    82 84 85 Apr00 MGV, Jan03 LTV, Sep03 ASMu, Mar04 SVR, Sept04 Pop, Sep05 SSR, Dec06 SSR, Oct07 WLV, Oct09 THV, Oct10 AKL, Oct11 AKL, Oct12 THV, Feb13 CBR, Sept13 BLT/BWV, Apr14 BLT/VB , Jun14 BCV, July14 AKL, Jan15 SSR/DCL, June15 BCV/OKW/VB, Nov15 DCL/Poly, Apr16 GF

Post Thanks / Like

From a business standpoint, it makes a lot of sense to incorporate Marvel into the parks. With the superhero movie phenom coming out of Hollywood these days, it seems to be a no-brainer to me.

I agree that it should be contained to DHS, though, like Ian mentioned earlier...
    --Heff

Post Thanks / Like

I may be in the minority but I don't like, nor do I want to see Marvel characters in the parks at WDW. However, I might be okay with them at one of the value resorts if they wanted to do something. If Disney wanted to use those characters for another park altogether, I would be okay with that, just not at WDW. Perhaps they could build a Marvel themed park in Texas! I would be fine with that.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Another website has rumors of Disney possibly looking to buy out Universal's rights to Marvel... This is going to be interesting...

We are all assuming this would be for a ride of some sort... Couldn't it just be because, since Disney is creating or rebranding an existing channel to a Marvel channel, and they are creating new shows for it, they will obviously want to market the new shows and channel... And since the new shows are about Spiderman, X-Men, and the Avengers, Disney CAN'T market these new cartoon series in DHS since Universal has the rights to these characters... So, Disney buying out the rights, or making life difficult for Universal to keep these rights, is really just for marketing purposes, you know.. SYNERGY!!!!

Also, I believe Universal will have no problems giving up these rights once they get the rights to develop Lord of the Rings and Avatar at IOA... You can say bye bye to Toon Lagoon and Marvel Super Hero Island at that point...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Marvel at the studios is a perfect match! Isn't that what Hollywood is all about? characters and themes from the big/small screen.

As for Disney characters for boys Buzz, Woody and the like are great for boys under age 9 or so but after that the boys want something a little more edgy. How many 12 year old boys get excited about Buzz lightyear?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: