Quantcast SeaWorld Will Replace 'Believe'

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default SeaWorld Will Replace 'Believe'

SeaWorld will replace 'Believe' with a new killer-whale show next year

November 15, 2010|By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment will launch a new killer-whale show next spring in its three U.S. marine parks, as it attempts to move beyond the February death of a trainer that has shadowed the company for nearly a year.

Jim Atchison, SeaWorld Parks' president and chief executive officer, said in an interview with the Orlando Sentinel on Monday that the as-yet-unnamed show will replace the 4-year-old "Believe" as the signature attraction at SeaWorld parks in Orlando, San Diego and San Antonio.

"We've been working very hard at developing a new concept that I think is going to be very exciting," Atchison said.

Atchison said the new show has been in the works for roughly a year. But the timetable for its debut was accelerated following the Feb. 24 death of Dawn Brancheau, the 40-year-old SeaWorld Orlando trainer who was killed by a six-ton orca named Tilikum.

Brancheau's death prompted SeaWorld to pull all of its trainers out of its orca pools while it conducted a still-ongoing trainer-safety review. That in turn forced an awkward, on-the-fly rework of Believe, a 30-minute show that emphasizes the close relationship between killer whales and trainers and which had relied heavily on in-water interactions.

Atchison declined to say whether trainers will be back in the water for the new show. SeaWorld has said it will not re-institute trainers' "water work" with killer whales unless it can make sufficient safety improvements.

But Atchison said the safety review launched after Brancheau's death has helped shape plans for the new show.

"We've certainly changed the scope of the shows and the impact of the shows," he said.

Industry analysts say designing a new killer-whale performance is an important step toward turning the page on the Brancheau tragedy, which has hung like a cloud over SeaWorld throughout the year. Even now, nearly nine months later, SeaWorld continues to battle both the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration and multiple private lawsuits.

"They almost have to [create a new show] to go forward," said Jerry Aldrich, president of Amusement Industry Consulting in Orlando. "It is important, and it is important for them to do it now, to get rid of the negative connotations of the problems they had."

That said, other factors are also driving SeaWorld's overhaul of its killer-whale show. The company faces increased competition for tourists, particularly in Orlando, where Universal Orlando this year opened the wildly popular Wizarding World of Harry Potter in its Islands of Adventure theme park and Walt Disney World is in the midst of expanding the Fantasyland section of its Magic Kingdom park.

And SeaWorld, like other parks, must periodically reinvent its live shows to ensure repeat visits by guests. Believe is now in its fifth year; SeaWorld's previous orca show, "The Shamu Adventure," ran for eight years.

"All of this stuff has compelled SeaWorld to make a change," said Robert Niles, publisher of ThemeParkInsider.com.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

They really do need to do something. We went in October and the show was very short and not too exciting.
    My 7 yr old loved it but he had never been there before. I do hope they solve the safety issue and the new shows have the trainers in the water with them again.

We also were so dissappointed with Sea World in general. The park was very dirty, the workers and other guest were so rude. Many of the exhibits were closed, and some were just not up to par. We went back in 2001 and loved it. This time we just thought the whole day to be a huge waste of time. My husband and I agreed that it was a huge waste of $300. If 7 yr had not wanted to go so bad we would have skipped it. We won't be going back anytime soon.
    I use to love Sea World, we went every weekend when I was little and lived in CA. So sad.
    1999 off site- July
    2001 All Star Movies- Sept
    2004 CBR-Oct
    2005 Poly won free from Disney-Jan
    2007 POP-Oct
    2010 POP-Oct

2013POP - Oct First trip /all 3 kids- DD's 1st
    2014 All Star Movies-Nov / Mother son 2 day visit, after college tours
    2016 POP-Sep

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Sea World was always a great place to spend a relaxing day. But, it sounds as though everything went downhill after Anheueser Busch sold their theme parks. I guess the new owners (can't remember their name) just don't care as much. Very sad . . .

We've been going to Sea World on a regular basis since 1976. I may rethink going back, and I probably won' buy an annual passport any more.
    Sylvia ºOº

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

Seaworld has always been a great park to relax and chill out .I think over the years it has infact improved ( however i have only been in Dec so it might be different to the other months ) but i have always found it great value for money .... Atlantis is always a must for us and the dolphin show . The Shamu over the years has been hit or miss with their presentations and i would welcome any improvement to it .
    For that show especially i love people watching on the splash zone
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Offsite 1996 to 2005
    Dec 2006 2007 2008 CBR
    Dec 2009 2010 2011 2013 2014 2017 BLT
    Dec 2012 2015 2016 2018 OKW
    Dec 2017 2018 S/S
    June 2010 BCV
    June 2012 OKW

Post Thanks / Like

I was there is August and the park was extremely clean and well maintained. It was actually much cleaner than most of the Disney Parks have been in recent years. I'm glad to see they are changing Believe because I saw with and without the trainers in the water and not having the trainers in the water took a lot away from the show.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

West Chester, PA (formerly Philadelphia, PA)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    I was there is August and the park was extremely clean and well maintained. It was actually much cleaner than most of the Disney Parks have been in recent years. I'm glad to see they are changing Believe because I saw with and without the trainers in the water and not having the trainers in the water took a lot away from the show.
    This gives me hope. I have always enjoyed Sea World, and really wanted to keep it on the vacation schedule. I will definitely plan to go back to Sea World on my next trip, and I probably will purchase another Annual Pass. I moved few months ago, and I'm slowly unpacking my "stuff". I completely forgot that I purchased the "Believe" DVD a couple of years ago. I found it when I went through a box of CDs and DVDs. I haven't had the time to watch it yet, but I will, soon.
    Sylvia ºOº

80+ WDW visits . . .

1976-88 - I Drive /
    1989-??? - CBR; DL; SoG; CSR; CR; POP; ASMu; WL; FQ

Upcoming:
    30 Apr - 14 May 19 PO French Quarter

Post Thanks / Like

The new show is called One Ocean. It opens late April in Orlando, Memorial Day weekend in California and June in Texas. There are no plans for the trainers to be in the water for the show...
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess we will be able to see the new show as we will be going in May. We love Sea World, especially the shows and have never found the place to be dirty. Then again we always go in May.
    2-18 May 2011 POFQ
    2-14 May 08 POFQ 20th Anniversary Amazing weather
    5 -21 Dec 07 POFQ Fabulous weather
    26 Apr-16 May 06 POFQ - AWESOME. 20 days SUNSHINE
    27 Apr-10 May 05 POFQ
    04-11 May 00 POFQ 1st Trip We're hooked!

Disneyland 12-19 August 09 Grand Californian - Amazing Place

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: