Quantcast Considering buying into Saratoga Springs

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Considering buying into Saratoga Springs

I have been considering buying into Saratoga Springs. Can you guys give me some honest opionions about it. I was going to buy in through the dvc resale sponsor and the point rates looked really good. Is it something to consider or am I better of with animal kingdom, bay lake, or wilderness lodge. All pros and cons are greatly accepted !! Thanks guys
    Love my Pittsburgh Penguins and Penn State Nittany Lions !!!!

October 08 - Honeymoon CBR
    Wilderness Lodge- October 2010

CBR - Oct 2012
    Beach Club - Sept 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I won't stay SSR, just not my cup of tea. I don't like the layout, the transporation, the theme and the proximity to the parks. It also seems to be builtmore cheaply than the other resorts.

I do like their food court though...

The points there are cheaper as there is more competition to sell it due to the size of the resort. I think many folks bought in there right before the economy fell apart and that's another reason why there's a lot on the market.

I would buy resale though before going with Disney. There's no real difference in terms of treatment, perks, etc once you are a member, and the cost of the points will certainly be less through resale. Plus you're probably helping someone out by taking asome debt off their hands.

Remember, the asking price is just that, an asking price. You can offer anything you want. If they accept, then it will go to Disney to see if they want to buy it back at that price. I would be surprised that Disney would buy anything back at this point. If they do, just make an offer on another contract, no skin off your back, and the original seller would have sold their as well (either to you or Disney, but either way, they have sold their contract). Works out better for everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

It is often said, and i will say it again--Buy where you want to stay. We own at AKV and have a small contract at BWV. We own at these resorts because we like to stay at them. Sounds simple, but it is true.

If you like the look, theming, location, and amenities at a resort, then buy there. The way i looked at it was this: If I can only get into my home resort for a particular stay will I be happy? for us, AKV will always be a great place at which to be stuck.

One of the great things about DVC is that there are different resorts from which to choose.

So i think it is more important to be happy with your home resort than saving some $$ in the long run. And right now through resale, there are some great deals.

We have yet to stay at SSR. We have pretty much stayed at AKV, BWV, and OKW. OKW is also great and there are some good deals there even direct from DVC.

Do your homework, choose a resort, and then have some great vacations!
    Ed aka Horizon93

"If we can dream it, then we can do it".

DVC owner as of July 07 at AKV, as of Oct 2010 at BWV

Just back from honeymoon at AKV Kidani, July 2013!

Next up...not sure yet, but going back soon! )

Post Thanks / Like

I am on my way back from a week at The Animal Kingdom Villas. However, I own at SSR. I stayed a couple nights at SSR a few years ago and have also used my points at Beach Club Villas. If I had my choice of the 3 I have tried, I would stay at Beach Club most often. The location is just perfect. At the other 2 you rely on bus transportation exclusively. I think the AKV are a little better themed but also newer, but the SSR has the cheapest dues. Also you at least have downtown disney within walking distance.

I have had little trouble getting non-home resort reservations since joining in 2006, but worry that could change as the economy recovers and the club grows. If the SSR looks like a good deal it may be worth it if you love disney but if I had to do it over again, I would make my home resort Beach Club by buying points there if they were comparable to SSR in cost.
    Walt Disney World Trips:
    April '91, '93 Magic Kingdom with HS Band
    November '93, '03, '04, '06, '10
    January '08, December '08
    Fall '11 New Central Florida Resident
    February '10: Disney Wonder Cruise
    November '12: Disney Dream Cruise
    DVC Member since 2006
    Annual Pass Holder

Post Thanks / Like

We own at SSR and with one exception, have been pleased with the resort. It is larger and a little more spread out, but they are building a second feature pool now on the far side of the property. Though many have mentioned in other post that the location is far out, it really isn't that far. We've looked at AKL, and though beautiful, it is also slightly spread out and the rooms were just a little too dark for me. We've stayed at OKW and the lighting was better, but it just didn't appeal to me for whatever reason.

But back to the original question, it's all in what you're looking for. SSR is less expensive dues wise and points wise so we can essentially work out more vacations for our money this way. And after all is said and done, we sleep, shower, and spend only a small amout of time there, but we're happy with it.
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

This December will be our 3rd time to stay at SS. This last time is not by choice, but that's a long story. Our home resort is OKW and we love it! Anyway, as mentioned in other posts, SS is large, and spread out. If you get stuck in one of the outlieing areas it will be quite the hike to get to the main building. Food court is small, but at least they have one. OKW has a sit-down (Olivia's) and a small CS outside just behind the main pool. What I really didn't like about SS was 1) how spread out everything is and 2) in my opinion only, it lacks the Disney feel. It reminded me of any one of a thousand cookie-cutter resorts that had no personality. Research carefully, visit if possible and walk around. Purchase where you want to stay, otherwise you may have a terrible time getting the resort you want.

Post Thanks / Like

We own at SSR, have stayed on DVC points 8 times and I've never stayed at SSR. Maybe we're the exception, but we are able to plan ahead. We avoid the busiest times of the year. We book right at the 7 month window. It has worked out so far.

Post Thanks / Like

We own at SSR and AKLV and really like both of them. Unlike many others, I look forward to staying at SSR. It is true that the theme is subdued, but that is sometimes an advantage. It is also quieter when I have been there.

The addition of the Treehouses makes this a one of my favorites on property. Be sure that it is not everyones idea of a perfect Disney resort though, and judge by your own tastes.
    -- End of line

Post Thanks / Like

I stayed at SSR twice. The first time out of ignorance, the second time I had no choice. I have only the Beach Club and Boardwalk to compare it to and it's a very big drop off from those two. You feel like you are in the middle of nowhere. It often takes an hour to get to a park. And you just don't get that Disney feeling there.
    If you do stay there, try to stay at the Springs. It's close to the bus, pool, restaurants and lobby.
    Somebody mentioned a foodcourt there. Are they referring to the Artist's Pallette?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

SSR gets a bad rap, but we own there and we really like it. In fact, we'll be there in just a bit over three weeks (splitting a stay between there and BLT).

Also keep in mind that owning at SSR let's you book the treehouse villas at the 11 month window, as well.

That being said, buy where you want to stay. If you think you'd be happier somewhere else, spend the extra money for the resort you want. You'll be much happier with your purchase in the end.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, Saratoga gives you the best of both worlds -- you're staying at a Disney property but you're not right in the middle of all the hubbub. And if you like hubbub, you can stay at another DVC resort. Anecdotally, we've waitlisted for the Boardwalk three times and have always gotten it. Also, we called about a June stay at BLT and didn't even have to waitlist.

Here's my pros/cons list for SSR:

Pros:
    Beautiful grounds
    Peaceful setting
    Short walk or boat ride to shopping at Downtown Disney
    Good sit-down and cafeteria-style restaurants
    Nice walkway along lake separating DD from SSR
    Springs-like pool
    Traditional/upscale furnishings and design
    Treehouse rooms
    Currently one of lowest DVC dues rates

Cons:
    Not next to theme park (could be pro or con)
    Sometimes long walk to main building depending on room location
    Main lobby is pretty "blah" decor-wise
    Outdoor concrete hallways (they go with the stables theme but I just don't like them)

Hope this helps!
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Considering buying into Saratoga Springs

We own at SSR and BLT and are happy staying at both resorts. There are DVCs that many people love but that I do not prefer. This is all a matter of personal preference. Some people like the feel of being in the center of Disney activity and like to be close to the parks. Others like a break from the parks and to be at a DVC with a different feel.

SSR not only has lower annual dues but it also has one of the longer contract years. Some of the DVC contracts will expire much sooner than others. Personally I like both the quick service and sit down dinning venues and the option to eat at DD. I do like the close proximity to DD and the feeling that I can just walk, bus or boat ride over for different activities.

Even though you may have a good chance of getting into a non-home resort at the 7 month window, especially if you like to visit during non-peak seasons, I agree that you should like your home resort too because you might have to stay there. I would also check out the point per night differences among the DVC resorts. This too may impact your decision.

I wish people could visit each resort before purchasing. Each feels so different and you get a real feel for each when you walk the grounds, check out the pool and dinning areas and sit in the lobby. We all want something different from out vacations so again this decision is a very personal matter. In the end you will have to be happy with your choice.

Post Thanks / Like

We own at SSR and love staying here. We have tried others and like them also but SSR seems to be more relaxed and the kids love the main pool. We also stayed at the treehouses which are part of SSR and really really love them because you get 3 rooms for the same price of a 2 bedroom. Our kids are young and had the best time there and keep asking when we are going to go back to the treehouses.
    82 84 85 Apr00 MGV, Jan03 LTV, Sep03 ASMu, Mar04 SVR, Sept04 Pop, Sep05 SSR, Dec06 SSR, Oct07 WLV, Oct09 THV, Oct10 AKL, Oct11 AKL, Oct12 THV, Feb13 CBR, Sept13 BLT/BWV, Apr14 BLT/VB , Jun14 BCV, July14 AKL, Jan15 SSR/DCL, June15 BCV/OKW/VB, Nov15 DCL/Poly, Apr16 GF

Post Thanks / Like

We own at OKW and have only stayed there 1 quick visit. We never have trouble booking at the other resorts, except maybe BCV (but we've never really tried all that hard- we called at @ 6 months out and could get a 2 BR, but wanted a 1 BR). I would suggest buying at SSR or OKW, as they are the best deals out there (aside from HH and VB- but those are thw highest in annual dues). We are looking to add on and looked into buying from Disney. Let me just say...the deals are significantly better through resale.
    Now about SSR- We didn't like it so much. It is remote and the busses took forever. However, my inlaws love it. They love to take their time and be away from all the hubub. We did like OKW though, but did not do the parks when we stayed there. We love the size and layout of the 1 BR at OKW.

DVC members since 2006....OKW, HH and BWV

Post Thanks / Like

We also love OKW. And the rooms are almost all finished being refurbished. The 1 bedroom is huge, and the resort location is great. We don't own there, but try to stay there every few trips because we love the feel of the resort.
    Ed aka Horizon93

"If we can dream it, then we can do it".

DVC owner as of July 07 at AKV, as of Oct 2010 at BWV

Just back from honeymoon at AKV Kidani, July 2013!

Next up...not sure yet, but going back soon! )

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: