Quantcast Is Soarin' still Borin'?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Is Soarin' still Borin'?

Ok, so we went on this ride the year it opened (several years ago) and weren't too impressed. This past trip, we tried it again, as we thought our initial impressions could be wrong.

Sorry, we still thought soarin' was still boring.

Anyone agree?
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure that Soarin' is meant to be exciting... even fairly young children can ride with the child seats they have there. I think its beautiful - but maybe its just not your "cup of tea"? At Epcot, Mission Space is generally my DH's favorite ride - you might give that a whirl if you haven't already. Test Track is also a fun (but quick) ride and a unique view of the area - before you speed up anyway. LOL. Epcot is generally more show/atmosphere-oriented so there's not going to be lots of "excitement" all around but still, I'm sure you'll find something to keep you entertained.
    PinKy
    Upcoming trips: July 2021 Big Family trip to Disney!
    Most Recent Trip: October 2020 MNSSHP Family Weekend away!
    DVC Members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Soarin hasn't changed since it opened. It seems to be hit or miss with the smellerators however, but that's probably due to the maintenance budgets more than anything else.

It's one of my favorite rides at Epcot.

Post Thanks / Like

Went on it 4 times last week. As great as it's always been.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

We love Soarin!!!
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's not a thrill ride, but has it's own special kind of magic. One of my favorites also.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I would call it boring but I don't understand the hype. I usually ride it once a trip for my older son but stay with my younger son while the rest of the group takes repeat rides. If my son didn't love it so much, I would not miss if I didn't ride it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFr33k View Post
    Ok, so we went on this ride the year it opened (several years ago) and weren't too impressed. This past trip, we tried it again, as we thought our initial impressions could be wrong.

Sorry, we still thought soarin' was still boring.

Anyone agree?
    I have a hard time understanding why you would call Soarin boring. It is such a unique ride. It's not a roller coaster. It's not a dark ride in a moving vehicle. It's not a 3-D movie. It's altogether different from the many homogenized WDW attractions. That uniqueness alone makes Soarin interesting.

I can see why some people would not like Soarin. Height issues, vertigo and such. Or if you have a poor view of the screen, off to the far right or left, i can see why you would not get the full effect. And having feet dangle in front of you can be a distraction. But boring? Really?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Can't say I agree ... it's one of my favorites!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely not boring to me! Totally one of my favorites! I fell in love with Soarin' Over California in DLR and still love the ride at EPCOT. It is mesmerizing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Madame Leona View Post
    I'm not sure I would call it boring but I don't understand the hype.

To me it's not much different then other movies other places where the seats move except you are up in the air. We have been on it only 2 times, IMHO not worth the time that can be spent doing other things. Can't believe I have seen the wait time 2+ hours and people were waiting in line.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't wait for 2 hours for any ride. We get a fast pass and wait about 10 mins. I really like the ride. With Disney it's not about the one moment of thrill. If that is what is needed I believe Universal is there for that (tho we have never been there)
    First trip May 1996 and many since
    DVC Owner BWV
    Next trips 2015 : March SSR, May-AKLV& Poly Oct- BWV & Dec- BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Love it!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't find it boring at all. It's one of my favorite "new" rides in Disney World. We were just there this past week and, when we rode it, it even got applause at the end. I would describe it as "relaxing".

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't call it boring but I understand where you are coming from. I rode it first in DCA back in 2003 and went on it multiple times with no wait at all. When it came to WDW I went on it a few times and still enjoy it but it's definitely not a must do for me. If I can get a Fastpass I will ride it if not no big deal. Now if they changed up the film I might be more interested in it.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

This is my wife's only "must ride." She gigles the whole time. Therefore, as long as she is riding it, its a "must ride" for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MOJoe View Post
    I have a hard time understanding why you would call Soarin boring. It is such a unique ride. It's not a roller coaster. It's not a dark ride in a moving vehicle. It's not a 3-D movie. It's altogether different from the many homogenized WDW attractions. That uniqueness alone makes Soarin interesting.

I can see why some people would not like Soarin. Height issues, vertigo and such. Or if you have a poor view of the screen, off to the far right or left, i can see why you would not get the full effect. And having feet dangle in front of you can be a distraction. But boring? Really?
    Yes, really. The feet hanging in front of us really does detract from the experience. And, even though it is relaxing, doesn't do more than that. I am just expressing our reaction to the hype we've read about how wonderful it is.... we were really let down.

Quote Originally Posted by caryrae View Post

To me it's not much different then other movies other places where the seats move except you are up in the air. We have been on it only 2 times, IMHO not worth the time that can be spent doing other things. Can't believe I have seen the wait time 2+ hours and people were waiting in line.
    Thank you! Now I don't feel like I've been abducted by aliens to formulate my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by BugeyedMuggy View Post
    I wouldn't wait for 2 hours for any ride. We get a fast pass and wait about 10 mins. I really like the ride. With Disney it's not about the one moment of thrill. If that is what is needed I believe Universal is there for that (tho we have never been there)
    We just got back from there (US). Yes, thrill rides, but not the Disney feel. Disney has the market for that magical feeling. I hope Disney can add more of those thrill rides to make the total package!
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

Boring? Is this any realtion to the MK being boring? Let's hope this doesn't get drawn out like that one. Anyway, I guess it can be a little dull to someone looking for drops and turns and twists. But I think you miss the point of the ride. It's like actually hangliding over California. You can feel the wind, smell the oranges, and hear and see fireworks in the sky in front of you. It's a great "experience", and that's what Disney's all about.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

We Love, Love, Love Soarin'! Our special DS calls it 'Flying" and giggles the whole time we are on it!
    Sorry you don't get the same awesome experience with it...
    Disney BORN & BRED!

71-78 FL resident, MANY visits!
    78-79 CM@MK
    85&90-offsite
    94-SOG
    01&05-Band trips-offsite
    May08-1st visit 4 our spec DS! POFQ
    MAY09-POFQ-DD's college grad!
    POFQ/MNSSHP 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

.....I still smile like a 5 yr old after I ride Soarin!! Although it's not a "thrill-ride" (because it doesn't rattle your innards from one side of your bod to the other)....I'm still thrilled at how you feel "like you're there"...when all the sensory features that Disney designed into this attraction....really grab hold of me. Luv It!!!
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP