Quantcast 2011-12 Armed Forces Salute - EXTENSION ANNOUNCED! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Great promotion! I think we need to do more to support our the folks who protect us. Way to go Disney!!
    K. White

The magic is within all of us!

WDW Off Site 1978, 1981, 1986, 2005, 2006
    Disneyland- 1980, 1984, 1987
    WL- 6/2008
    Coronado Springs- 6/2009
    PO- Riverside- 6/2010
    AS Music- Solo, 40th Birthday March 2014

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info and thank your Husband for his service. I completely support our troops and all that they do for us.

My Father inlaw is retired miIlitary. He would come with us to the reosrts but does not want to go to the parks. He prefers to enjoy the resort and pools.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    No. First of all, he'd have to be retired military, with a current military i.d. card that has on base privileges. Serving for "many years" does not automatically qualify someone for this offer. He'd need to show that to purchase the tickets AND to activate them AT WDW. So, unless someone else is traveling with you who has an active military i.d., you're out of luck. Remember, this offer is in support of active duty and retired military families. It's not meant for people far removed from military status (i.e. "in laws") unless the military person is part of the travel party.

For example, last year we took advantage of this offer. My DH is active duty. My MIL and BIL came with us. They were able to take advantage because MIL has a military dependent i.d. card (her husband was a 100% disabled veteran). She bought her own tickets and used her own i.d. for her hotel discount. My FIL did not come with us (he was in the hospital), but we had plenty of military i.d. cards to qualify ALL of us for the offer.
    Actually each military member (retired or otherwise) or SPOUSE can purchase the tickets with their ID but only 6 tickets each. The users of the tickets can be anyone as long as the military member or spouse with the ID card activates them at the gate the first day. If you have more than 6 going, another military ID holder has to purchase up to 6 other tickets and be there to activate with their card. But once the tickets are activated, the military member doesn't have to be with them at the parks. We were told that the ID holder didn't have to be there with us at the parks each day as long as he activates them the first day. Unless they have changed it this year. We have used this for 3 years now and it is a great savings. So your father-in-law could stay at the resort but one of the tickets would be in his name and no one else could use it but him.
    I DO believe in fairies, I DO, I DO!

1977-2007 various resorts
    August 2007 CBR
    August 2009 Poly
    2010 July/August Ply
    2012 July BC & Christmas ASM
    2014 Sept BC
    2015 Sept BC Oct CS
    2016 May FQ Oct GF
    2017 Nov YC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pixiesmimi View Post
    Actually each military member (retired or otherwise) or SPOUSE can purchase the tickets with their ID but only 6 tickets each. The users of the tickets can be anyone as long as the military member or spouse with the ID card activates them at the gate the first day. If you have more than 6 going, another military ID holder has to purchase up to 6 other tickets and be there to activate with their card. But once the tickets are activated, the military member doesn't have to be with them at the parks. We were told that the ID holder didn't have to be there with us at the parks each day as long as he activates them the first day. Unless they have changed it this year. We have used this for 3 years now and it is a great savings. So your father-in-law could stay at the resort but one of the tickets would be in his name and no one else could use it but him.
    Yes, if your Father in Law is willing to at least go to the parks the FIRST day, to activate the tickets, you are good to go. Anyone can use them as long as he is there the first time.

HOWEVER, the tickets are limited to 6 TOTAL for each military member who qualifies to purchase them. Your Father in Law is the qualifying military member. His wife, if she has an id, can purchase the tickets as well, but they still cannot purchase more than 6 TOTAL (it's linked to the service member's SSN, which is on all i.d. cards issued to dependents of that military member). So, basically, it's 6 tickets per Social Security Number.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still not clear on whether we can do two separate trips and use two tickets each.....a total of 6 tickets.

Also, the first time we went DH joined us later in the trip, so I bought the tickets -- I'm the spouse and have an ID card, my kids though, are not old enough to have ID cards (under 10 I believe they do not get ID cards). So, I know that the spouse can buy and activate them as I have done this in the past (DH activated his ticket when he arrived over the weekend that he came).
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppysmom View Post
    I'm still not clear on whether we can do two separate trips and use two tickets each.....a total of 6 tickets.

Also, the first time we went DH joined us later in the trip, so I bought the tickets -- I'm the spouse and have an ID card, my kids though, are not old enough to have ID cards (under 10 I believe they do not get ID cards). So, I know that the spouse can buy and activate them as I have done this in the past (DH activated his ticket when he arrived over the weekend that he came).
    As I understand it, as I used them last year, you can buy up to 6 tickets. The member (or spouse) must activate the tickets outside of one of the parks. Once activated, the tickets can be used any time before the end of the announced eligibility period. So, if you buy all 6 tickets on your first trip, and use 3 of them, the other three tickets can be used on your second trip.

I was told last year that if I bought 3 tickets the first day, and then decided to buy 3 more at a later time, that was allowable...but you cannot purchase more than 6 for an eligible member.

They asked me to write the names of the users on the back...I wrote my name on two, DS#2 on two, and DDiL#2 on two....They used the tickets for 8 days...I park hopped (didn't add the hopper option) on two days by using two different tickets.

I sent an email before my trip to the ticket office at SoG, and they confirmed that my approach was allowable. Perhaps as our date approaches for next year, I will do that again.

Please note that it is not necessary to enter the park to "activate" the tickets. You go to Guest Services windows outside the park (to the right of the entrance at MK) and activate them there.
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Great news! It was announced yesterday that this offer has been extended for a year (until Oct. 1, 2012). Same exact deal, just extended a year.

So if you bought tickets in the 2011 timeframe, you are eligible to purchase tickets in the 2012 timeframe as well. And as always, you can take advantage of the deeply discounted accomodations rates as many times as you wish.

Thank you Disney!

Post Thanks / Like

This was the announcement posted on the Disney Parks Blog yesterday:

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Extends Discounts for Military Families

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts has a long-standing history of honoring military personnel and their families, and today, we’re pleased to announce that we are extending our discounted theme park tickets and room rates for active military and spouses, retired military, National Guard and Reservists through September of 2012. This extension coincides with The Walt Disney Company’s participation in “Joining Forces,” an initiative launched by the White House to bring attention to the unique needs of America’s military families.

Earlier this week, First Lady Michele Obama and Dr. Jill Biden joined the hosts of “The View” to discuss their involvement with “Joining Forces.” They encouraged all Americans to show their gratitude to service members and their families and discussed how companies like Disney and others from across the country are coming together to help military personnel. For more information, go to www.joiningforces.gov to learn how you can get involved.

All areas of The Walt Disney Company are working with “Joining Forces” to support this great new initiative. Disney plans to donate 25,000 Disney/Hyperion books to the USO for the United Through Reading military program, which gives deployed troops the opportunity to read their kids a virtual bedtime story when they can’t be there in person. Disney will also send more than 200 “Operation Disney” care packages filled with DVDs, books and games to USO centers worldwide which will also include 4,000 Disney Digital Book online memberships.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts is proud to support the brave men and women who serve our country in a variety of ways. Discounts are available throughout the year on select Disney Cruise Line itineraries and Shades of Green, a resort on Walt Disney World property operated by the U.S. Armed Forces, caters exclusively to military families and provides discounted room rates. And at both Disneyland park in California and Magic Kingdom in Florida, military personnel and veterans from all branches of the military are honored daily at a special Flag Retreat Ceremony where they are asked to step forward to be recognized as the colors are retired each afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad that Disney does this. The families deserve a break for all that they give up. I just wish other large American corporations would have some type of program/discounts for military families.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    I'm glad that Disney does this. The families deserve a break for all that they give up. I just wish other large American corporations would have some type of program/discounts for military families.
    Actually Rita, you'd be surprised. There are many companies/corporations that extend offers and discounts. In the theme park business, for many years the Anheuser-Busch parks have offered one-time/year free admission. Sadly, Universal has not had an offer for a couple of years now. I'd hate to think it's because they don't really need the attendance with the HP success.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Actually Rita, you'd be surprised. There are many companies/corporations that extend offers and discounts. In the theme park business, for many years the Anheuser-Busch parks have offered one-time/year free admission. Sadly, Universal has not had an offer for a couple of years now. I'd hate to think it's because they don't really need the attendance with the HP success.
    Last year when I was on base purchasing my Disney tickets they had a Universal Studios 7 day park hopper pass available with an insane discount. I think it was like $125.

Post Thanks / Like

That's good to hear. Maybe we should start a letter writing campaign to Universal .
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Mel,

I have a few questions. First of all do you know of any black out dates for the end of this year/next year? Also if we purchased the "salute" tickets in 2011 will we be able to purchase them again in 2012? We've been fortunate enought to use this discount for the past 3 years, and if we decide to take a trip in 2012 I'd love to be able to use this discount again. And one more question. If you purchase the salute ticket for Disneyworld in 2012, then later that year you visit Disneyland are you able to purchase those tickets as well?
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by That's So Raven View Post
    Last year when I was on base purchasing my Disney tickets they had a Universal Studios 7 day park hopper pass available with an insane discount. I think it was like $125.
    I'm pretty sure at one point they were offering the free admission, and that's what I was referring to. You can still get $$ off multi-day tickets to Universal from your ITT office, but I don't think they have awesome deals like you mentioned anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the free admission was only for the actual military personnel. This year the discount went up, but it is still really good when you take into consideration that it costs $82 for 1 day.

Post Thanks / Like

Now I'm wondering something......since they extended this for 2012.

We are going 27Sept -5Oct and I was going to buy the salute tickets then need to buy new 5 day hopper passes as the salute tickets had to be used by 30Sept (I think that was the end date -- or 1Oct). Anyway -- can I now buy six tickets and use them for the duration of our trip (1 non park day though as we are going for 9 days) and then if/when we go next year we can use the 2012 discount too? Or can I blow my discount all in one trip and use the 2011 discount for the tickets we need until 30Sept and then the new 2012 tickets until 5 Oct?

Hopefully I'm not confusing this more than it needs to be?
    I'm a little confused as to if you can buy six tickets for three people and use them all in one trip or not? Seems that there is conflicting info out there about that.
    *May '92 Day trip fr. Daytona
    *Aug '94/July 01 offsite
    *July 01 Offsite
    *2005, 06, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11SOG
    *Sept 05 AKL
    *Sept/Oct 06 POFQ
    *Dec 08 AKL
    *Oct/Nov 12 Wyndham BC
    *Oct 13 CBR
    *July 14- weekend trips from Daytona
    *July 15- day trips from Daytona
    *Oct 15 CST

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppysmom View Post
    We are going 27Sept -5Oct and I was going to buy the salute tickets then need to buy new 5 day hopper passes as the salute tickets had to be used by 30Sept (I think that was the end date -- or 1Oct). Anyway -- can I now buy six tickets and use them for the duration of our trip (1 non park day though as we are going for 9 days) and then if/when we go next year we can use the 2012 discount too? Or can I blow my discount all in one trip and use the 2011 discount for the tickets we need until 30Sept and then the new 2012 tickets until 5 Oct?

Hopefully I'm not confusing this more than it needs to be?
    I'm a little confused as to if you can buy six tickets for three people and use them all in one trip or not? Seems that there is conflicting info out there about that.
    That's a great question. Will those who purchased and used 2011 tickets already have to wait till Jan. 1, 2012 to purchase their second set, or will guests be able to use the "new" discount starting in Oct. when the discount is extended? I'm wondering if those with a trip during the week that the discounts end and start will be able to get two sets of tickets.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

From Disney's website:

Check back soon for details on the 2012 special offer for members of the military and their families.

Seems like they are working out the details right now. We should know more soon regarding when you can purchase tickets for the 2012 timeframe, blackout dates, etc.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

So happy that Disney has continued this program for our Men and Women who Serve or who have served our Country!!!

Disney!!!

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Can you extend the passes from 4-days to 6-days and if so, what is the cost?
    Upcoming Trips
    Villas at Grand Californian - 11/2012

Recent Trips
    Old Key West - 12/2011
    Contemporary - 05/2011
    Beach Club Villas - 03/2011
    Villas at Grand Californian - 12/2010
    Hilton Head Island - 5/2010
    Boardwalk Villas - 9/09

DVC Member - Villas at Grand Californian

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: