Quantcast Grand Floridian Goers...???

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grand Floridian Goers...???

So we booked Club Level Sugar Loaf... Deluxe Dining...and giving up a Castle view from Room just because by the time we are in the room...guarantee we will be sleepy and not staring out the window...But why am I seeing so much bad press on how they don't live up to the expectations for this Flagship Resort. I am hoping we did not splurge on the wrong place...really want to be one stop from Magic Kingdom...and the monorail resorts seem like the best area to me,,,What are your thoughts, anyone been there lately to comment on the general feel, cleanliness and attitude of the cast members. We experienced the Yacht Club our last visit 2008- IMO was great atmosphere, warm and cozy lobby...just rooms were a little blah..not perfectly clean and new but ok. Found the Epcot area nice and lots of great restaurant choices...we want a little more luxury and hoping we made the right choice...2 daughters are 7 and 4...made some great character breakfast and dinner reservations hoping we will like it ....many sites..many different opinions...Worried???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak about GF, as I've never stayed there, BUT YC was renovated last year. Rooms are all new, and were done floor to ceiling with new textiles, furniture, bedding, etc. We stayed at the Beach Club earlier this year (got a similar renovation) and the rooms were gorgeous! MUCH nicer (in my opinion) than the GF. We did Club Level at the Beach Club and were very impressed with the entire resort and the club level service. Loved the Epcot resort area too! Our kids are young (4 and 6), but their favorite park ended up being Epcot, which worked out great.

I have read similar reviews of GF that you have. Lots of mentions of how it's overpriced for what it is, there are issues with staff, etc.

I guess "luxury" is subjective. While I find the common areas of GF to be very nice, upscale, etc., the ROOMS themselves look very dated and just way too "hodgepodge" to me to be considered "luxury".

For the money, I think the Epcot resorts offer a more upscale experience than any of the MK resorts, with maybe the exception of the Contemporary, which has gorgeous rooms with FABULOUS views on either side of the tower.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I stayed Sugar Loaf Club Level this past July and I loved it, much more than I thought I would. Like Natalie, I am a big Epcot resorts fan, but we booked GF as that is where my Mom has always wanted to stay. She had been through so much this summer, I wanted to get her away from the stress to a place she would enjoy. It was absolutely fabulous!!

The club level offerings were much better than I expected. Honestly, you shouldn't bother with the deluxe dining plan, as we found we only wanted to eat one table service a day with all the food offerings and we are not light eaters! If you want something and it is not out, just ask the staff and they'll bring it to you, like when we wanted champagne with our scones during afternoon tea service (champagne is out during cocktails and appetizers).

I will say turndown service was only just "ok", but that was pretty minor, all things considered. The room was in great condition, and I think you can tell from my posts that I'm pretty picky.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

We had a great stay at the GF (Sugarloaf) this past September. The staff was quite accomodating to us and even provided a nice surprise in our room for us one night when we returned from the parks. The food offering at the concierge lounge were wonderful during our stay and were even better than what we have enjoyed at previous concierge stays at the BC and WL. We did not have a MK view, but instead greatly enjoyed a view that overlooked the marina area and the monorails (which to us is just as much of a "disney iconic view" as that of castle).

As for the actual "value" of a stay at the GF...I can't really say (I mean the reality is that the value of any deluxe resort at WDW is a very subjective and relative thing). Furthermore we were staying at the 40% discount rate and received a free upgrade to concierge. But my general philosophy on value is that if its worth it to me, then its worth it-regardless of what others might think. So, I am not much help on the value thing.

However, I think you will likely greatly enjoy the room, the grounds and the location very much and that the GF is certainly worth a try.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Don't be worried at all! I will ONLY stay at the Grand Floridian because we love it so much. In our minds, nothing else can compare. We've always stayed concierge in the main building, but I'm sure it's very similar to the Sugar Loaf... just that Sugar Loaf is the next building over. They are so accommodating and if you ask for anything the staff is SO willing to help you! I also stayed there when I was very young and loved it even then. I feel completely comfortable in a spaghetti strap tank top and shorts. They don't make you feel like you have to dress up or anything. Have fun! I can't wait to go back in the spring!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you will regret your stay. We have stayed at the GF numerous times, including in the Sugar Loaf. A lot of the negative comments seem to come from people who have never stayed at the hotel. Although it's not a true worldwide luxury hotel, IMHO, as far as the Disney properties are concerned, it's one of the best.

We always found the hotel to be clean. The one exception was when there was construction in the main building. The staff have always been kind and helpful. Mousekeeping did a good job. We have young children as well and loved having so many restaurants right there.

Overall, we don't have any complaints and plan to stay there again.
    GF, Poly, Contemporary, Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

You might find that club level and deluxe dining is a combination of excess, though. On the one hand, it's great to be able to try new restaurants and more signature dining. On the other hand, you will probably not make the most of the club level offerings with all the dining. So you might keep it as is knowing that (it works for some people), or you might consider keeping the club level but going with regular dining plan. The Deluxe Dining is great, but it keeps you really full and cuts into your park time/resort time.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    You might find that club level and deluxe dining is a combination of excess, though. On the one hand, it's great to be able to try new restaurants and more signature dining. On the other hand, you will probably not make the most of the club level offerings with all the dining. So you might keep it as is knowing that (it works for some people), or you might consider keeping the club level but going with regular dining plan. The Deluxe Dining is great, but it keeps you really full and cuts into your park time/resort time.
    I agree with this 100%! When we stay club level, we do a LOT of "grazing" throughout the day (both in the lounge and out of it). It's a daunting task to eat even ONE sit down meal each day in addition to club level offerings, for us.

The deluxe dining plan really is too much while staying CL. I mean, how often will you have a sit down breakfast if you can eat in the lounge every morning? Ditto for the availability of dessert at every meal (when there are yummy treats in the lounge!), etc. I can't see being able to take full advantage of BOTH the DxDP and CL. You'd save quite a bit knocking down to the regular DDP, or no DDP at all, and just eating where you like, without the pressure to make all those ADRs...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I agree with this 100%! When we stay club level, we do a LOT of "grazing" throughout the day (both in the lounge and out of it). It's a daunting task to eat even ONE sit down meal each day in addition to club level offerings, for us.

The deluxe dining plan really is too much while staying CL. I mean, how often will you have a sit down breakfast if you can eat in the lounge every morning? Ditto for the availability of dessert at every meal (when there are yummy treats in the lounge!), etc. I can't see being able to take full advantage of BOTH the DxDP and CL. You'd save quite a bit knocking down to the regular DDP, or no DDP at all, and just eating where you like, without the pressure to make all those ADRs...
    This was my experience as well from July:

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Honestly, you shouldn't bother with the deluxe dining plan, as we found we only wanted to eat one table service a day with all the food offerings and we are not light eaters!
    The Deluxe DDP would be just way too much food and you would miss out on some of the really wonderful food offerings in the lounge.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I have to chime in about the deluxe dining plan. We found it to be too much time wasted. Especially for our kids who began to tire of the the whole process. Also since park/hotel food is richer than home cooked food, we found ourselves getting too filled too fast. Plus, if you're doing the concierge level, you'll have plenty of light food to keep you going.
    GF, Poly, Contemporary, Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

We loved the GF. It was fantastic being one stop away from the MK. In the afternoons, we took the boat back to the resort, so we didn't have to take the whole monorail loop. The water parade at night is also an added bonus. I would recommend 1900 Park Fare at the GF for dinner. Cinderella, Prince Charming, her step sisters and step mother are all there at dinner. It is awesome for little princesses! I tend to agree with previous posts. We've done the regular dining plan, as well as the deluxe. The deluxe was way too much food. After a big breakfast, there were times that we didn't even eat lunch. We ended up leaving and not using several meal credits. I'm glad to say that I've done it once to see for myself, but will never purchase it again.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: