Quantcast Do restaurants make menu exceptions?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Question Do restaurants make menu exceptions?

We are thinking about eating at Artist's Point on our upcoming trip. My DH has the bison steak picked out, but it is served with kimchi. We didn't know what that was, so we looked it up. It's cabbage that's been rotting (just kidding..soaking) for 5 days. Anyway, my DH can't eat cabbage so would they let him order something in it's place? I know of a few restaurants in our area that have no exceptions for their menus, but wasn't sure about Disney.

Thanks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always found Disney to be very accommodating when dining there.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I think Artist Point would let you choose something else. My niece asked for mashed potatos at Rose and Crown and Le Cellier in place of what came with her dishes and there was no problem what so ever.

My experience has always been Disney bends over backward to make us happy. They will do a lot for people with food allergies or special diets . You could just tell them you can't eat cabbage because of a dietary restriction. I'm sure something to your liking could be served in its place.
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP
    2006 POP
    2007 WL
    2008 Polynesian
    2009 POFQ
    2010 AKL
    2011 AKL
    2012 CBR
    2013 CBR March & December

Post Thanks / Like

If it's an allergy, they'll definitely accomodate. If it's something that upsets his stomach, then tell them it's an allergy. Don't want bad stuff like that at WDW. And he'll love Bison steak. It's so much tastier than beef. Wish all those western train traveleres hadn't killed all those buffaloes 150 years ago.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    I've always found Disney to be very accommodating when dining there.
    This has been my experience as well. I was never asked nor did I ever feel compelled to give a reason for a substitution.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad that we can make substitutions. It's not an allergy, but definately something that doesn't agree with him. We wouldn't want him miserable the whole time on vacation if you know what I mean.

We went to a restaurant in our area a few years back. They had salmon with rice pilaf. My DH can't stand rice, so asked for fries or potatoes. The waiter said abosulety not. The chef doesn't allow substitutions. So we got up and left. We weren't going to be forced to order something we don't care for. I mean, it's not like potatoes weren't on the menu at all. It just wasn't served with the salmon. We've never been back to that place and never will either....unless they get a new chef.

Post Thanks / Like

Disney is very accommodating when it comes to food restrictions/allergies
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

The DISNEY restaurants will be pretty accommodating, but the restaurants on Disney property that are not owned by Disney (like at the Swan/Dolphin/Downtown Disney) may have more strict rules.

We ate at Bluezoo a few months ago, and ordered the filet. It came with Brussels sprouts, which neither I or DH cared for. We asked the waiter if we could sub something else, and he pretty much convinced us to leave the dish as is, as the chef chose that vegetable to complement the sauce, and the dish's composition would be "compromised" if we took them away, blah, blah, blah. So, we just said "fine, we'll take it as is." Well, wouldn't you know they were right! I actually LOVED the way the Brussels sprouts were prepared. They were amazing, and really did complete the dish.

Ill health effects aside, if a restaurant has a chef that takes a lot of pride in his/her dishes, I can appreciate that they might feel a bit miffed about people changing around what they took a lot of time to "perfect."
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

You know, that's the line I use with the kids--"the chef(me) chose that vegetable to go with this dinner and it's made to compliment it"-- I do agree that sometimes that is the case, but on the flip side, you are paying for it and why be uncomfortable!!! I can't tell you how many times we've gone to restaurants and I've had to try and figure out what was in those veggies/sides because the kids loved them!!
    Lynne

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children"--Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    The DISNEY restaurants will be pretty accommodating, but the restaurants on Disney property that are not owned by Disney (like at the Swan/Dolphin/Downtown Disney) may have more strict rules.

We ate at Bluezoo a few months ago, and ordered the filet. It came with Brussels sprouts, which neither I or DH cared for. We asked the waiter if we could sub something else, and he pretty much convinced us to leave the dish as is, as the chef chose that vegetable to complement the sauce, and the dish's composition would be "compromised" if we took them away, blah, blah, blah. So, we just said "fine, we'll take it as is." Well, wouldn't you know they were right! I actually LOVED the way the Brussels sprouts were prepared. They were amazing, and really did complete the dish.

Ill health effects aside, if a restaurant has a chef that takes a lot of pride in his/her dishes, I can appreciate that they might feel a bit miffed about people changing around what they took a lot of time to "perfect."
    I can respect that but at the same time, if it's a food I won't eat, it's not really complimenting anything and just going to waste.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seasonscraps View Post
    I can respect that but at the same time, if it's a food I won't eat, it's not really complimenting anything and just going to waste.
    That's why upscale restaurants like that offer a la carte side dishes. I think it's reasonable to expect to be told "no substitutions" in certain types of restaurants, especially if the substitution would end up being more costly for the plate.

But, I think dietary restrictions due to allergy/food intolerance should ALWAYS be allowed and graciously done by the kitchen staff.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    That's why upscale restaurants like that offer a la carte side dishes. I think it's reasonable to expect to be told "no substitutions" in certain types of restaurants, especially if the substitution would end up being more costly for the plate.

But, I think dietary restrictions due to allergy/food intolerance should ALWAYS be allowed and graciously done by the kitchen staff.

ITA!!! But I wouldn't use an allergy as an excuse for a subtitution for something I don't like. That would put undue pressure on the chef and kitchen staff.

I have never been told no substitions - I have paid an upcharge for a new selection but I can't recall being told no. Great point about the a la carte items on expensive places, I never thought of it that way. Thinking of steakhouses, I thought it was due to the fact that they are sized for sharing since the entrees are generally larger then standard portions.
    ~ Christine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seasonscraps View Post
    That's what the poster above you thought about Brussels sprouts. If you have an allergy or a health concern, I understand requesting a substitution, and I would expect the restaurant to accommodate your needs. But if you simply dislike a certain food, I would try the dish as constituted. You may surprise yourself.

Personally, I never make substitutions beyond "dressing on the side" or "not too much mayo, please." If there is an ingredient I dislike, I pick another dish. No question about it.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Disney restaurants are some of the the most accommodating restaurants ive ever been to. My GF has a wheat intolerance and it can be a challenge to find something on the menu without flour without having to order from the Gluten Free Menu. At every restaurant and counter service place the chef/manager comes out and makes sure she gets something good to eat that she'll enjoy.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: