Quantcast Smokers at Disney Resorts - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Another strange place to put a smoking area is the one between the front door and the bus stop at Animal Kingdom Lodge?? Where is the sense in that? Whenever possible, we would cut through the store to avoid this area; however, this is not always a possibility when you are leaving or arriving before or after store hours. (I often wondered if Disney situated the smoking area in this spot in order to drive the non-smokers into the store??!)
    I'm sure that plays into it, Linda. AKL is a unique case in that due to the savannahs, it eliminates many areas from being used for designated smoking areas. I know when we stayed there my sister commented on the lack of smoking areas compared to the other DVC properties.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering if there will ever be a completely smoke free Resort property? I can see that there would be PR problems, but it seems like there are plenty of entirely non-smoking families to fill a resort. The set aside areas for smoking do not have special
    ventilation or anything to prevent the smoke from spreading. Epcot has some very bad areas, along the prime walkways. Are all the smoking areas by the sidewalks?

Post Thanks / Like

This is a very sensitive topic for me.

That being said, I remember being at WDW before there were designated outside smoking areas and it is SO much better now than it was then! And I have occasionally seen CMs informing people who were smoking outside of those areas. I try to be understanding and patient - the CMs can't be everywhere! And not every smoker is like a couple of people I know who are defensive and defiant about their smoking and care very little about rules or if they are compromising someone's health or comfort.

To the PPs who are smokers: and I mean this in all sincerity - thank you for being considerate and for confining your smoking to the Designated areas.
    Last edited by Hammer; 10-11-2010 at 11:59 PM. Reason: editted off topic comments
    Shelley, Happy DW of bear_necessity.
    DVC owners: SSR since 2007
    Remain seated please. Permenecer sentados, por favor.

Last trip: DLHotel in May
    Next trip: ?? Vero maybe...

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that most of the areas are not ideal places...Some of the areas I won't even stop at because of where its located...I have noticed that the areas that were more out of the way have been taken out and most are on the main path with everyone else...I myself like to be out of the way of the non smokers just so I don't get the "look" from them...Just my
    Amy
    80 Camping șoș
    89 Offsite șoș
    05 ASM șoș
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Disney has given designated smoking areas and people are still complaining Maybe Disney should have non smoking buildings.I am happy there is no smoking while walking around the parks..in restaurants...in hotel rooms.
    I don't get the none smoking on balconys. Please don't rip cigarettes out of peoples hands......anything on your body becomes a part of you.....removing something from someone is assault and you can be arrested for that....! We are nonsmokers

Next trip December!!!!!!!
    Polynesian Hawaii Building!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I fully agree with the previous poster. If you see another guest breaking the rules, report it to a CM. No one should ever, under any circumstances get into a physical confrontation with another guest. And yes, grabbing something out of someone else's hands is a physical confrontation. Don't deal with a rule breaker by becoming one yourself.

We're non-smokers and I would love to see the entire resort become non-smoking. That being said, there are designated areas for smokers and as long as people use them, they're not breaking the rules. I do have to say that it seems obvious that some of them are poorly placed and wish Disney would come up with better spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Once again...

Moderator Alert #2!!!

This topic is going off on tangents and some posts have needed to be edited. This thread is about smoking areas at WDW resorts, not on if people should or shouldn't smoke. Nor should posters advocate aggressive methods if they encounter someone smoking in a non-designated area; notifying a Cast Member is the proper course of action.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Nor should posters advocate aggressive methods if they encounter someone smoking in a non-designated area;

I couldn't agree more!! Nevermind the fact that this is as someone mentioned, borderline assault...this could result in someone retalliating and/or defending themselves. By acting in such a manner you can exponentially make things worse. Give CMs the opportunity to make things right and just get back to enjoying WDW.

Anyway back on topic...it always helps to ask at check in where the smoking areas are. They are quick to point them out on maps and point out where they are in relation to the desk.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

My DH and I both quit smoking over a year ago. However, when we smoked we always looked at the maps to see where we could smoke and we followed the rules. I agree with the poster above, some people may not realize there are only certain designated areas to smoke, especially foreigners.
    I do remember that some of the smoking areas aren't exactly the best to prevent nonsmokers from being exposed. Having to deal with the dirty looks and comments from others while dealing with an addiction isn't fun. Smoke now bothers me and I can't stand the smell, I just avoid those smoking as best as I can. I would never pull a cig out of someones hand, don't know how I would have responded to that situation if it happened to me or DH. I would have felt assaulted! Call guest services or a CM, there is enough violence in the world!
    Magic is everywhere if you know where to look!

Visiting Disneyland since 1969 & Walt Disney World since 1994!

Disney Fan since birth!

Post Thanks / Like

......let me start by saying that I've never smoked cigarettes, even as a teen....(probably...no....definitely...because they cost money!!)...I will admit that I have had one here and there...but it's not something that ever became a habit.

....but ten yrs ago...at the ripe old age of 39...I developed a fondness for an occassional cigar (occassional...because...they cost money...a lot of money). Anyway...I can definitely see the need for a separate "area" that those who need a cigarette can sit...relax...enjoy...their smoke....away from thoses that do not smoke. But...I know for a fact that the smoke can't read the signs...and will waft into nose-range of those that will find it highly offensive....and feel it's their right..and duty...to report it, complain about it...and try to ban it. What those people really need is a good lesson in reasonable tolerance.

........I used to (4 yrs ago?) be able to have a cigar at the outdoor (Petals) bar at POP....but now can only do so only at the bar-side tables (10' feet away)....and so, that's what I do. But when that isn't even good enough for those that are offended by smoke...I begin to wonder what else they will want "banned"? The serving of the alcohol?....the little umbrellas IN the alcohol?....again....reasonable tolerance needs to be exhibited.
    Last edited by Hammer; 10-14-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: off topic
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDad View Post
    ......let me start by saying that I've never smoked cigarettes, even as a teen....(probably...no....definitely...because they cost money!!)...I will admit that I have had one here and there...but it's not something that ever became a habit.

....but ten yrs ago...at the ripe old age of 39...I developed a fondness for an occassional cigar (occassional...because...they cost money...a lot of money). Anyway...I can definitely see the need for a separate "area" that those who need a cigarette can sit...relax...enjoy...their smoke....away from thoses that do not smoke. But...I know for a fact that the smoke can't read the signs...and will waft into nose-range of those that will find it highly offensive....and feel it's their right..and duty...to report it, complain about it...and try to ban it. What those people really need is a good lesson in reasonable tolerance.

........I used to (4 yrs ago?) be able to have a cigar at the outdoor (Petals) bar at POP....but now can only do so only at the bar-side tables (10' feet away)....and so, that's what I do. But when that isn't even good enough for those that are offended by smoke...I begin to wonder what else they will want "banned"? The serving of the alcohol?....the little umbrellas IN the alcohol?....again....reasonable tolerance needs to be exhibited.
    Great post, as a smoker I thank you
    Last edited by Hammer; 10-14-2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: editted deleted part of quoted post
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

why don't we just simplify the issue and give us a resort, or a building. out of all of the resorts that have free standing building i.e. values, POR, Poly, you mean to tell me NONE of them could be designated smoking? in this economy they should be rolling out the red carpet for those of us that are actually going.
    3/82 3/85 3/88 3/91-offsite
    4/92 Poly
    5/01 Coronado
    5/02 Yacht
    5/04 Yacht
    5/05 PO RS
    11/05 PO FQ
    5/06 Yacht
    5/07 WL
    5/08 AS Music 10/08 Dolphin
    5/09 Contemp 10/09 Boardwalk Villa
    5/10 Contemp-Atrium 10/10 Beach
    5/11 Contemp 10/11 Yacht
    5/12 Yacht cl 10/12 Dolphin
    4/13 Yacht cl

Post Thanks / Like

Worst smoking area ever-Right by the back door at POP. Who thought that was a good idea? You have to walk through it to get to the bus, front desk, food court, gift shop. Just not well planned.

I like to smoke every now and then when I've had a drink or two. Once about 10 years ago, I sat right down on a bench in the UK and just lit up. I'm so ashamed about that now.
    Here you leave Today and enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy

Next Trip-February 5th-16th! Happy V-day to me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDad View Post
    But...I know for a fact that the smoke can't read the signs...and will waft into nose-range of those that will find it highly offensive....and feel it's their right..and duty...to report it, complain about it...and try to ban it. What those people really need is a good lesson in reasonable tolerance.
    Fully agree.

Now if a jerk were blowing smoke in my face and laughing as I turn blue, that's different, but in general, most smokers I see are just looking for five minutes of peace.

But that aside, WDW does a nice job with putting the smoking areas off the main trail. On the rare occasion I get a whiff, a brisk walk gets me out of the area before I get affected (I have asthma). At least at WDW, unlike many other places that shall not be named, I don't have to hold my breath as I walk by/through or around folks.

I must be lucky - in all my years of visiting, I have never had a guest smoking openly near me, at hotels, bus stops, or parks.
    Next trip DLR in February 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I do think a PP made an important point about the smoke not staying in the smoking area, even if someone's there following the rules. I think everyone should be aware that the smokers can't control where the smoke travels to when they're in a designated area.

Regarding reasonable tolerance, I think it's important to acknowledge that no one is going to be thrilled about getting a face full of smoke, even unintended. Tobacco smoke is a carcinogen. I don't think people are being unreasonable when they don't want to risk inhaling a carcinogen, or more importantly risk their children inhaling it.

The area described at the POP is similar to the one at ASMu. Luckily, we have a way around it at that resort by walking past the pool instead of taking the shortest route to the food court/lobby/busses which passes by the smoking area. Is there another path at POP?

Thankfully I've only twice seen someone smoking outside a designated area in the parks and they were swiftly and firmly delt with by a CM.

Post Thanks / Like

My issue is not with smokers, but with inconsiderate smokers. Those that smoke in the smoking areas I have no problem with. I do have a problem with the placement of some of the areas, but that's not the smoker's fault.

I did have an interesting encounter once with a smoker. I walked through a designated smoking area, unwittingly and started to cough. One of the people there actually started to get offended, telling me huffily, this is a smoking area. I just looked her and said, I know that, I didn't say anything to you, but that doesn't make smoke unable to make me cough, does it. The other smokers were even amused by that...

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: