Quantcast Food & Wine = too much wine?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Food & Wine = too much wine?

I was just on another Disney related site and was reading reviews on the Food & Wine Festival and a lot of comments got me thinking. Now first off I have to say that the F&W is one of my favorite things to attend in WDW. I have a serious love affair with food and I love the atmosphere of WS. Anyway, one big thing that got brought up in almost every comment was that the idea of the festival and the offerings are great but there are too many heavy-drinkers who seem to forget they are in a family friendly place. I have notice this too and not just during F&W. Epcot on the weekends has become a place for the early 20 somethings up to even the early 40 somethings to do their drinking and lose some of their morals along with the drinking. I am 24 years old and I like to sample a wine or champagne here and there but it bothers me when I see obviously over-intoxicated people yelling and spilling beer along the walkways as well as using inappropriate language. Not to mention more females don't dress very appropriate either considering where they are (in my opinion). Last year, I noticed the F&W brought out this kind of behavior and then some. I am going to be at the F&W next Friday....so I can't wait to see if it has gotten worse or better from last year. It seems ever since they closed PI, Epcot has become the place to "party" and I for one do not like this. Anyone else feel the same? Anyway.....I had to vent my feelings and now I am done

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't agree more. I've not been during the F&W, but just being at Epcot each trip, I always see one or more folks who thing they haven't reached their alcoholic limit...when clearly they have. It really drives me nuts with my kids around to see it all.

Plus, I happen to think we live in a nation of alcoholics in denial. It seems whenever someone's talking about the weekend, the main focus is the alcohol. To be up front, I don't drink. I got to see my best friend's face when she, at 10, found out her dad was killed by a drunk driver. Since then I've seen alcohol as nothing but a nazi in a bottle - killing with little discretion.

I'd be just fine if it turned into just The Food Festival at Epcot.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there are people who go a little overboard and it's not what you want to see around World Showcase or anywhere in Disney World. Or really, anywhere at all. But it happens. I don't think it's prevalent and I don't think WDW is the place anyone would choose to go to "party" because of the prices and family-friendly venue. Of course, sometimes people don't know their limits and go overboard, but I think it's an exception. I can still count the people I've seen really over their limits at WDW on one hand, and I've been frequently. For any place that serves alcohol, I think there are relatively and comparatively very few inebriated people. Maybe they stand out more due to location.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    I'd be just fine if it turned into just The Food Festival at Epcot.
    How would that prevent people in general, and alcoholics in particular, from getting drunk at Epcot?

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post
    Yes, there are people who go a little overboard and it's not what you want to see around World Showcase or anywhere in Disney World. Or really, anywhere at all. But it happens. I don't think it's prevalent and I don't think WDW is the place anyone would choose to go to "party" because of the prices and family-friendly venue. Of course, sometimes people don't know their limits and go overboard, but I think it's an exception. I can still count the people I've seen really over their limits at WDW on one hand, and I've been frequently. For any place that serves alcohol, I think there are relatively and comparatively very few inebriated people. Maybe they stand out more due to location.
    To every point.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

On occasion, I've seen someone in a Disney park who has had a bit more than they should have (whether or not the Food & Wine festival is in session) but, overall, this is rare. Unfortunately, bad behavior abounds in the world and Disney is not immune.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

You are all lucky that you haven't really encountered this too much. I was amazed at how many Disney security guards walk around Epcot on the weekend nights and during the F&W last year. I even saw a group on 20 somethings arguing pretty heavily with one. I go to WDW a lot. At least once every 2 weeks. I don't go on the weekends too often though. Next weekend will be the first in a long time that I will be there. I am going to the F&W on Friday so I will see then if this has become less of a problem. Maybe Disney had complaints last year and has since then been more pro-active about not over-serving people or asking those who really are over the limit and rowdy to leave the parks. Like I said, there were hundreds of comments on this site and almost every one of them mentioned this point. Also, I continued to think about it and I am wondering if a majority are college programmers. They get in for free and they are in college which can be more of a drinking experience than a learning experience for some. Maybe they forget to leave that mentality at college. Plus, working at WDW is hard work sometimes, this could be how they let loose with their friends. Most do not have cars to go to other locations without spending more money.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree. The past few years we have noticed more people at Epcot that have drank more than their fair share. They are loud, pushy and not attractive at all. But then again, it's encouraged by some. They ruin it for many.
    Your attention please, the Walt Disney World Railroad is now boarding for a trip around the Magic Kingdom

Post Thanks / Like

Count me in the frequent visitor who doesn't really think it's an issue group. Sure there's the random person or group out having a few too many but I don't feel like it's endemic.

And no way it's the college program kids, Disney barely pays them enough to cover room/board and their groceries, let alone enough Disney priced drinks to get obnoxiously drunk.

Post Thanks / Like

I really think it's actually not any more prevalent during the Food & Wine Festival than at other times. The F & W Fest places emphasis on finer dining and wine experiences and caters to connoisseurs. Most people who really enjoy and are very into wine are not big over-drinkers. Everything is better in moderation. At better wine tasting events, you're tasting and spitting, not actually drinking to feel the effects. So... I think situations with people overindulging are more likely to occur at any given time from random overindulgence, and not from actual alcoholics, which is a serious problem that is not all that prevalent in our society.

In the US, approximately 15 % of the population suffers from alcohol-related disorders. Considering that 50% of Americans drink more than 12 drinks a year on a regular basis, I think that's not a huge number. Certainly not enough to declare that we live in a nation of alcoholics in denial or that alcohol is a nazi in a bottle (though, Gator, I am very sorry for your terrible experience, and for your friend). To assume that a Food and Wine event is going to increase the number of alcoholics on premises is really naive and quite presumptive. And so it is to assume that people who overindulge at a theme park are alcoholics. A lot of alcoholics are very functional and you would never guess. People drinking too much and losing control of themselves, that's not often a sign of true alcoholism as much as it is carelessness and a lack of self-awareness. Unfortunate, yes, but not a good reason to make blanket judgments on people or on a really enjoyable annual event like the Food and Wine Fest.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

I was just considering it being an increase in college programmers. I do know Disney does not pay them that much because I was one. However, that doesn't mean they don't drink before going into Epcot and meeting up with friends since it is a free place for them to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey all. I agree with most of what has been stated above. You do see bad behavior, and overly intoxicated people out and about. That is why DW and I come to WDW on vacation, to stay in an area with not as many people that have clearly zoomed from happy vacation land over to, "Partly Inebriated Land" where they bump into others and laugh and giggle, and after a few more brightly colored beverages, they stumble into "Where Am I Land" where they look at you and yours with the red eyes, and hands tightly gripping and loudly wondering where they parked the car, and shrieking, "Honey, have you let the dog out?". Finally they are rolled, dragged, dropped of at, or crawl to " The Land of Toilet Bowls, Side Walk Curbs, and Where My Car Is Parked where they proceed to get and usually so I really enjoy WDW even though we run into a few people that choose to visit the above mentioned lands of the Alcohol Zone, it's not nearly as bad as the ones who visit off property. We are glad that Disney security is out, and looking and taking care of anything that needs addressing. We are looking forward to our vacation there in 14 days, and are excited about going to the F&W , but as also was mentioned above we are going during mid-week as to maybe avoid the rush of weekend visitors of the other Lands. Everyone be safe and have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by honeebee86 View Post
    I was just considering it being an increase in college programmers. I do know Disney does not pay them that much because I was one. However, that doesn't mean they don't drink before going into Epcot and meeting up with friends since it is a free place for them to go.
    It doesn't mean they do drink, either, though? I don't see how this follows. Did you witness a lot of drinking among your peers when you were in the college program? I can't imagine Disney would be all that tolerant of anyone drinking before work.

When you started the thread, you mentioned it was about things you've read on other sites and then things you've witnessed at WDW (both during and not during F & W fest), which segued into college program participants. But the subject of the thread suggests that it's too much wine at the F & W Fest. And then you go on to assume that people who drink "lose their morals," dress inappropriately, behave badly, that Epcot has "become the place to party" (hard to imagine) and then finally, blame it on the college program participants. So I just wonder what you are really saying. Is it that there's too much wine at the F & W Fest? That people drink and behave inappropriately at any given time at Epcot, that you would prefer no drinking allowed at any Disney park? That it's the college program? Just not sure where you're coming from now and wanting clarification. You did say you enjoy the F & W Fest and have seen what you deem inappropriate levels of inebriation at any given time (as have many of us), so are you protesting the wine part of F & W, the fact that alcohol is served (and sometimes unfortunately abused) at Epcot, or the college program in general. I'm confused. Thanks.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry. I probably worded it wrong. I wasn't saying that people who drink lose their morals, just that I notice more groups of people who seem to hang out at Epcot on weekends and especially during the food & wine festival who are obnoxiously intoxicated. Whether or not this is due to drinking too much at the parks or before they arrive is another thing. As for CP's, there is a lot of drinking that goes on in the housing and there are parties almost every night. I was just suggesting that maybe some of the groups I have witnessed are possible CP's since a majority I have seen are about that age and in large groups. I am just saying it is possible they get together after work or on days off. Trust me this type of behavior does go on within the CP's. I had two roommates leave our complex because of it. But again, I was only brainstorming and I apologize if I offended anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

But again, I was only brainstorming and I apologize if I offended anyone.
    I'm sure I'll take some heat for this, but I'd be willing to bet that the people you offended just can't do without their liquor. I realize that in moderation, wine is ok (just ok). But I know of no one who consumes alcohol who's never crossed the line of moderation into inebriation. It's just sad when it happens at WDW. I'm sure it's not often, but once is too many times as far as I'm concerned.

Call me square; call me over zealous; call me whatever; just call me when you can't see straight enough to drive home.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Gator, on reflection, you have a point. 15 % is a pretty high number of Americans addicted to alcohol, and there's no need for the OP to apologize (but thanks for clarifying). It is true, unfortunately, that there are occasionally people who drink too much around Epcot. We're agreed there. I don't think there are more of them during Food and Wine Fest time, though. If someone is setting out to drink to inebriation, it's going to happen regardless of special events. And let's hope those people are staying at a hotel and using transportation options, not driving. But not everyone who enjoys a drink is going to drink too much, and certainly plenty of people, most people statistically, drink responsibly.
    Sherri

Post Thanks / Like

... I apologize if I offended anyone.
    I don't sense that you offended anyone. I say this at 6:30 on a Saturday morning after a good nights sleep. (just thought I'd point that out. )
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously this is a state your opinion thread ... so mine is Live and Let Live.
    Disney doesn't stop people from having one too many, (as a bartender might) and Disney will handle any problems.
    As adults we are aware of the situation at Epcot during this time. The choice is yours to attend or not, just as you have the choice if you are offended by Night of Joy, Gay Days, Green or Purple Days, whatever.
    ps don't go on Saturday Oct 16 ... it's Gay Day at Epcot's Food & Wine Festival.

After reading a lot of overheated puffery about your new cook, you know what I'm craving? A little perspective. That's it. I'd like some fresh, clear, well seasoned perspective. Can you suggest a good wine to go with that?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree to live and let live....so what's wrong with Oct 16th??

We have been to WDW many times and I can only think of 1 time when I saw someone who was obviously drunk. That was a late night. We saw the situation, shook our heads and went on our way. It did not deter from our vacation or lessen the memories. It was just something that we noticed and it did nothing to decrease our enjoyment.
    Yes, I do enjoy wine, but NO, I would never overindulge in WDW (or anywhere else in public!) We have even sampled the drinks around the World and done the Wine Tour! It was alot of fun, but we shared portions and did not get "out of control". Don't let the few who do overindulge ruin the fun for the majority who can have a glass or two of wine and are fine.

Post Thanks / Like

You said it well!

Quote Originally Posted by SBETigg View Post

Post Thanks / Like

And may I quote Benjamin Franklin, one of our Founding Fathers "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: