Quantcast Kindle vs Nook

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kindle vs Nook

Post Thanks / Like

Default Kindle vs Nook

I'm seriously considering getting an e reader (WiFi version) before my trip.

I have read that the Kindle v3 controls are awkward but more responsive than the Nook which has a tendency to lock-up because of the touchpad. That could possibly be the deal breaker.

I would like to hear pros/cons from any fellow intercotees that own Kindle or Nook. Thanks.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for this thread. I am very interested, too in the Kindle vs Nook discussion. Looking forward to seeing everyone's responses.
    Carrie

CBR: 2/21-2/25/17
    POR: 6/4-6/11/16
    POFQ: 11/15-11/19/15
    8/28-9/1/14 -DL-Dumbo 19.3 C2C
    POR: 1/7-1/14/14 -Dopey 48.6
    POR: 6/11-6/17/13
    ASMu: 1/11-1/15/13 -1st Full 26.2
    ASMu: 9/22-9/28/11
    ASMu: 6/7-6/13/11
    Pop: 1/30-2/6/10
    Pop: 2/1-2/7/09
    Pop: 1/08
    ASMu: 05/06
    Off-site: 12/93

Post Thanks / Like

I think some of the problems with the nook were with the earlier firmware. I remember trying a nook about 9 months ago and then a couple months back, went into the store and tried it again and was very impressed with the changes.

So impressed, I bought one.

I have owned one for a month now - not a single lockup. Love the color touch screen below. Love the ability to side load books or pdfs.

All in all, highly recommend it. I bought the 3g version but honestly unless you don't think about downloading a book or two before you travel, I could probably have just been fine with the WIFI.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

I have an earlier Kindle version and I love it. I also have friends who love their Nooks. So, I think you really have to check them both out and test them if you can. They are carrying them at the B & N stores and I think Kindle is at Target now? Not certain of that.

I've never had any problems with the Kindle and it's extremely easy to use (but I don't have the current model). The Kindle is sturdier with a better replacement policy, by all accounts that I've heard, but the Nook allows you to access library books, or borrow books, something like that? Not sure, but something else to consider/look into. Also love the Nook's color screen for seeing book covers- but that doesn't affect the reading experience a bit.

What I love about both is downloading new books as soon as I've finished one, and that classics are free, so there's plenty to read when I don't want to spend money. I also love that I can read outside in bright light without any glare problems (that you might find with iPad). Of course, I have to use a booklight in the dark, and the iPad is backlit so no need. Borders has a new reader device, too, and the Sony Reader is a favorite for lots of my other friends. I went with Kindle before I even really checked out the Nook, so not sure my decision would change after a more thorough examination. I love the smaller size of the new Kindles, so I think I would stick with that.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have either (I have a Sony e-reader) but I can tell you I love the e-reader.

Good luck!
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Not sure what your budget is like, but have you considered maybe going with a tablet instead?

There's obviously the iPad out there, but I've been reading that there are a lot of clones coming out this year so you could check into those, too.

The benefit of getting a tablet is that it will do so much more for you than just being an e-reader. You can surf the web, use apps, email, play games, listen to music, watch movies, etc.

I guess I haven't been able to get comfortable with the idea of having to drag yet another device around with me when I travel. I chose the iPad so I could combine pretty much all my devices into one.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

As Ian has stated, keep an eye out on the tablet market. The Android OS is being used on many coming out and it is extremely efficient. The price will be much lower than an iPad because of standardized parts vs proprietary Apple parts. At the end of the day, all an e-reader does is decrypt a PDF-type file to be used on the unit.

If you have an Android based phone, there is a Kindle app to be able to access all your Kindle books. This will be the same for an Android tablet.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vicster View Post
    I don't have either (I have a Sony e-reader) but I can tell you I love the e-reader.

Good luck!
    I have the same. Really take a look at the Sony Daily reader WiFi. You are not stuck with Amazon or Barnes and Noble. Do an internet search for Cnet sony reader reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    If you have an Android based phone, there is a Kindle app to be able to access all your Kindle books. This will be the same for an Android tablet.
    There's a Kindle app for iPhone, as well.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    There's a Kindle app for iPhone, as well.
    But the reason I love my Kindle is that I'm on a computer all day and it affects my eyes. The Kindle and Nook (not sure on the Sony) don't have the backlighting and are more soothing on my tired eyes at the end of the day, like an actual book page (which is why, downside, you do need a book light in darker conditions-- but upside, you can read outside in full sunlight). It really depends on your reading habits. I don't need the bells, whistles, apps. I need a good comfortable reading experience. So, yes, need the extra device (which is still better than lugging several books around with me).
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Consider a KOBO!

They have just come out with a WiFi version priced at $139 US. ($149 CDN)

I have an older model without WiFi and love it. The nice thing about the KOBO is you can get ebooks from many places. The main drawback of the Kindle is that you can only get books in their format or .pdf

I looked at the Nook, but decided against it due to import regulations. Barnes and Noble does not have a distributorship in Canada that I could find. I didn't want to try and buy books and then find out I couldn't get them. I could buy books from other sites other than B&N.

Also, the touch screen seemed a little like it was over-engineered. Something I wouldn't use much.
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

Great discussion! I've just started looking at the possibility of adding an e-reader into my future. In addition to Kindle and Nook, I've just come across Kobo (just mentioned), Cruz, and Aluratek.

Anyone have any additional information about these products?
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I did this debate earlier this year. I decided on the Kindle.

Like others, looking at backlit displays for more than about 30 min at a time causes eyestrain which turn into headaches for me. I can't even use my ipod touch for too long before my eyes are hurting, so NO TABLET for me!

I decided on the Kindle because:

1) I like the new graphite gray color. I hate white edged electronic devices. I think it creates too much contrast for my eyes. The gray color on the new kindle is much more soothing and the transition from screen to device is much less harsh.

2) I want an ACTUAL, physical keyboard. My MIL has a Nook. I played with it quite a bit while she was visiting this summer. I found it a bit too heavy and large for my liking. I did not like the touchscreen at all. It was buggy, slow, and awkward. After owning an ipod touch for almost a year and HATING the on screen keypad, I know for sure that I prefer acutal keys on the keyboard.

3) I like the ability to link the Kindle to your amazon account, and then to your ipod touch/iphone, and keep your "place" in what you are reading in case there is a time when you want to access what you're currently reading and your kindle is unavailable.

4) Amazon has a better return policy. And, I lke their price drop policy as well.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I've owned a nook for just about a week now and I love it. My main reasoning for the nook over the Kindle was my library's eBook section. Amazon's got some proprietary thing, so none of the eBooks are available for the Kindle. This may change in the future.

I did a lot of webinars (I'm a librarian) on the eBook/audiobook aspects of our collection, and was really eager to put that knowledge to use. I was going to wait until Christmas to get the nook, but I really wanted it for our trip at the beginning of Dec. Plus I was sick last week and feeling sorry for myself

I splurged for the 3G version, too. Not really sure why, and I haven't quite figured out how to use it properly, but am hoping to soon.

So anyway, a vote for the nook!
    Christi

2014: May--POR & US/IOA; Nov--POR (1st rD--JJ5k!)
    2013: May--POR
    2012: Jun--POP; Aug--POP/Hard Rock
    2011: Aug/Sept--US/IOA; Nov--POFQ
    2010: Dec--CSR
    2009: Sept--Poly GVCL
    2008: Sept--POFQ
    2007: Jan/Feb--POR; Sept: POFQ
    2004: Oct--CSR
    1987: off-site

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses, still not sure which way to go. Didn't realize Kindle was at Target so I can try it there. I have a B & N right near me so I have tried that. Will have to keep a lookout for the others. I could just download the B&N ereader to my netbook but really want something smaller to throw in my bag and go.

I had originally considered an Ipad but decided I really don't need it right now. Once my netbook goes the Ipad will be the replacement. I do expect to see it on the boys' Xmas list though. They keep eyeing it at the Apple Store.

Thanks again
    - Lynn -

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, the form factor and screen of the nook and kindle are just right for what they are made for - reading books. The backlit screen of the ipad becomes annoying after while. I stare at a computer screen all day - I don't want to stare at a computer screen when I'm reading too - that's just me.

Regards to someone above that said the nook touchscreen was buggy and laggy - it's just not so now. Firmware updates have made it very responsive.

As I also mentioned, you can sideload books on the nook and it has a expandable memory slot - so you can buy your books ANYWHERE you want, and as long as you can download them to your computer, you can load them on the nook. They also support the ebpub standard as well as pdf.

For me, at Less than $200 for a device that is great at what it does - PLUS FREE BOOK FRIDAYS... it was a no braniner.

That being said, the Kindle is nice too - and I don't think you could go wrong with either.
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

For me, at Less than $200 for a device that is great at what it does - PLUS FREE BOOK FRIDAYS... it was a no braniner.
    Like the idea of free book Fridays, just gives me another reason to go to B&N. Do you know if the member discount applies to ebooks?
    - Lynn -

Post Thanks / Like

My bride has a Kindle and loves it. She also has the iPhone app so she can access her books there.

I have both the Kindle and Nook Android apps on my HTC EVO. For reading, they are basically the same. Kindle just updated on Android so that you can highlight and add notes. Nook does not have this capability yet on Android. I like that Nook shows the notification bar when it's open, so I can see the time and battery bar. I also like that you can lend (certain) books with the Nook.

With my phone, I don't have a need for a reader. If you have the capability, I would give them both a try on your phone. Our library has Kindles so my bride was able to give it a test drive before deciding she really wanted one. You might look into that, too.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

How does the battery life compare between Kindle and Nook?
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased a second generation Kindle at Target. The price drop below $200 convinced me to buy it.
    Of course, soon after my purchase, the Next generation Kindle was announced. The screen contrast has been improved, more storage is available, and the battery life is much longer.
    The unit also weighs less.
    Regardless, I am very pleased with my Kindle.
    Most of the books I have downloaded have been either free or below $5.00.
    I believe Best Buy now sells both the Nook and the Kindle if you wish to see a comparison.
    James

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: