Quantcast Will we get moneys' worth from Deluxe Dining?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Will we get moneys' worth from Deluxe Dining?

We're very close to booking a visit to WDW, but we're trying to decide what to do about dining plan. During the time we're looking, it is Free Dining, with extra charge to upgrade.

We have four children, three of them big eaters (our sons, 17, 14, and 11), plus my husband and I, and daughter (11).

If you've ever had Deluxe dining, did you actually make good use of EVERY meal? Our kids are too old for the "Character Meals", and we've done "Hoop-de-doo" already, but in your opinion, is Deluxe worth it? Are there great meal things we could do we don't know about?

Otherwise, we'd probably be having to buy breakfast at POP cafeteria, then have counter-service for lunch, afternoon snack, then a big sit-down dinner. We found last time (in 2006) our oldest son was REALLY hungry by mid-afternoon, and he was only 12!

Thanks for your advice!!

P.S. Difference is about $28 per day/per person extra for Deluxe...if I figured it out right! (plus, taking into account extra tips necessary at the extra sit-down meals!)
    DELUXE: 3 meals (counter OR sit-down) & 2 snacks vs.
    BASIC: 1 counter, 1 sit-down, 1 snack

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

You may want to check your figuring POP is a value resort and the free dining you get there is the Quick Service plan and not the Base Dining plan the Quick Serve plan is 2 cs 2 snacks & a refillable mug and is cheaper than the Base plan
    Two Tiny Wings,
    Eyes BIG and Yellow,Horns of a Steer,
    But a lovable Fellow! From Head to Tail,
    He's a Royal Purple Pigment And then Voila!
    You got a Figment
    The Dreamfinder

Dixie Landings-1997
    ASMo-2001
    All Star Sports-2008
    ASMu Family Suites-2009
    Beach Club-2011
    ASMo 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks!

I think we're okay on calculations & the difference in prices in dining b/c our agent worked out the prices...I was just doubting my figuring the pp/pd difference...LOL

Thanks, though!
    Honeymoon in WDW: 1988 (stayed in Kissimee)
    Trip to WDW w/hubby & 4 kids: Feb.'04
    (stayed at Holiday Inn Fam. Sts)
    POP Century Nov. 10-17, 2006 - LOVED being on-property!
    Praying/scratching/saving for possible trip with all six of us before oldest son graduates in June, 2011!!

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to spend the whole vacation doing nothing but eating, the deluxe might return your money.

Post Thanks / Like

When we do the math, the dining plan doesn't really come out as much of a savings to us. Its a lot of food and we don't tend to be able to eat that much.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

I thought tips were included on Deluxe dining. My husband thinks it's worth it, but I feel to get your money's worth it feels like all you are doing is eating. We have 4 kids too, but they are 7 and younger. Not too big of appetites. My dh thinks we spend more when not on deluxe.
    January 1993-Off Property
    September 1996-Dixie Landings (POR)
    September 2006-Pop Century
    September 2007-Pop Century
    September 2008-Contemporary
    May 2009-Caribbean Beach
    Oct/Nov-2011-Wilderness Lodge
    December- 2013--Pop Century
    May 2015--Give Kids The World

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't care about eating at the signature restaurants--you can probably get away with the basic dining plan and just pay for breakfast oop each day, then use the CS for lunch and TS for dinner each day.

My family (DH, me, and DS-22) decided to do the deluxe dp this trip. As you see by my signature we'll be staying at Pop over Christmas. Your pricing to update to the DDP is accurate--that is about what we're paying for the DDP. It's just under $100/day for all 3 of us.
    We're doing CRT for breakfast (have always wanted to eat in the castle!), Hoop de Doo, and signature dinners the rest of the time (Narcossee's, Citricos, Cali Grill, etc). Two meals a day plus the two snacks per person will be enough food--especially since we get an appetizer at each meal. The bigger eaters in your family can use snack credits for egg rolls, soup, and other lunch type items to fill in.

You can also not use signature meals and choose to eat three meals a day. 3 TS will take up more of your day--but you can eat two TS meals and one CS meal a day for more time savings. Plus, you'll still have the two snacks per person--and you'll each get a refillable mug so that can save a lot on drinks.
    Bon appetit!
    June 29-July 5th-Shades of Green
    Sep 2013-Port Orleans FQ
    Dec 2010 Coronado Springs
    Dec 2009 Pop Century
    Sep 2008 POFQ
    Sep 2006 POFQ
    SOG Dec 2006
    April 2002 All Star
    May 1998 SOG
    June 1993 POFQ
    Disneyland-numerous times since 1966 (Last time-Jul 2012)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coffeeyumm View Post

P.S. Difference is about $28 per day/per person extra for Deluxe...if I figured it out right! (plus, taking into account extra tips necessary at the extra sit-down meals!)
    DELUXE: 3 meals (counter OR sit-down) & 2 snacks vs.
    BASIC: 1 counter, 1 sit-down, 1 snack
    If your staying at POP than I think the add on would be a bit more. You would be getting the QS plan free (value 31.99), it would cost $10 to upgrade to basic (value 41.99) and $40 to upgrade to deluxe (value 71.99) using 2010 rates.
    **Just saw the post above (we must have been responding at the same time) so it looks like they may have a special rate to upgrade???

I have 2 teen boys (15 & 18) that like to eat but don't think they've hit $72 on a good day. Also, they normally like to grab food on the run during the day rather than having to sit.
    Last edited by VWL Mom; 09-25-2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: correct
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I am unable to help on prices but thought that I would share our experience on the DDDP. We used it for 14 nights last year and for the first few days we really enjoyed it, eating in the signature restaurants etc etc. But after about 3 days it became hard work, we felt as if we were always eating. When our holiday came to an end we were still left with 30 unused credits between the 3 of us but during the time that we were there we ate a whole lot of food! Next year we are sticking to the regular dining plan
    Sequoia Lodge @ DLP 2002,2003,2004,2005,2006 & 2015
    Hotel New York @ DLP 2007,2008 & 2010
    Newport Bay @ DLP 2014
    All Star Movies @ WDW 2006
    Pop Century @ WDW 2007
    Port Orleans FQ @ WDW 2009, 2011, 2013 & 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coffeeyumm View Post
    I think we're okay on calculations & the difference in prices in dining b/c our agent worked out the prices...I was just doubting my figuring the pp/pd difference...LOL

Thanks, though!
    Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    If your staying at POP than I think the add on would be a bit more. You would be getting the QS plan free (value 31.99), it would cost $10 to upgrade to basic (value 41.99) and $40 to upgrade to deluxe (value 71.99) using 2010 rates.
    **Just saw the post above (we must have been responding at the same time) so it looks like they may have a special rate to upgrade???

I have 2 teen boys (15 & 18) that like to eat but don't think they've hit $72 on a good day. Also, they normally like to grab food on the run during the day rather than having to sit.
    i just checked the difference in cost for the upgrade on the Disney site and the difference worked out to be $44 pp/pd so I would check your TA's figures again. That being said I have thought about doing this as well. I would suggest that you sit down and see what sit down restaurants you want to do. As long as you feel you can do the majority of meals as sit down you should break even if not come out ahead, and don't dismiss the character meals you could miss out on some great meals. Just look at the menus there are many available on the Disney site or you can check them out here
    I will also PM you another site that has most of them
    Two Tiny Wings,
    Eyes BIG and Yellow,Horns of a Steer,
    But a lovable Fellow! From Head to Tail,
    He's a Royal Purple Pigment And then Voila!
    You got a Figment
    The Dreamfinder

Dixie Landings-1997
    ASMo-2001
    All Star Sports-2008
    ASMu Family Suites-2009
    Beach Club-2011
    ASMo 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald72 View Post
    If you want to spend the whole vacation doing nothing but eating, the deluxe might return your money.
    Ditto! We tried it one time and never again. It was lovely.We enjoyed trying new places. And we may have "saved" money. But we felt as if we were being held hostage to our ADRs. Our entire trip was spent making sure we arrived to reservations on time, waiting (the short wait) for the table, enjoying the meal and then walking around stuffed to the gills before we could enjoy any attractions.
    ~Maureen

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."~Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tadshome View Post
    I am unable to help on prices but thought that I would share our experience on the DDDP. We used it for 14 nights last year and for the first few days we really enjoyed it, eating in the signature restaurants etc etc. But after about 3 days it became hard work, we felt as if we were always eating. When our holiday came to an end we were still left with 30 unused credits between the 3 of us but during the time that we were there we ate a whole lot of food! Next year we are sticking to the regular dining plan
    This is something I would be concerned about happening. And that's why even with 3 of us, we passed on using the regular dp. Though it basically comes down to how much you and yours eat as well as how much time you don't mind spending getting to and fro.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

I'd skip it and just use the difference in cost to budget for extra snacks during the day.

I'd not be too excited about non stop eating at WDW. That's what cruises are for!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

We did the Deluxe DDP a couple of trip ago, and yes, we probably saved $$ over OOP, but we'll never do it again.

There was just too much time eating, we felt like all we did was run from ADR to ADR and eat and eat and eat.

I agree with a previous poster who says to take the "free" dining, and then use the $$ to budget for some extra snacks if needed.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

We are doing the DDDP this trip. We usually do the basic DDP and it's great. We are figuring this is our last big trip before having children, so we want to go "all out". We are going to be there for 10 days, so we feel that we'll have plenty to time to do whatever we want, even around our ADRs.

I say if you can financially do it, then try it. You won't know unless you try. You'll have a great time either way. :-)
    ~Jen, Jon, Collin, & Brady~

Owners in BLT!!

Next trip: BCV in February 2019!

So many great trips!!
    Off-site the first trips
    Disney Villas(way back!)
    CBR
    AS Mu/Mo/Sp
    CSR
    POR x2
    AKL/BW
    BLT
    BWV
    Poly DVC

1363 miles from WDW - too far!! :-(

Post Thanks / Like

For this coming trip in October, we are using the Deluxe Dining Plan for the first time. Based on where we wanted to eat (signature restaurants and other table service) the Deluxe Dining Plan is actually going to save us money.

One guiding thought that we are going to keep in mind is that we DON'T HAVE TO FINISH EVERYTHING ON OUR PLATES. If we're really hungry, we can eat like normal. Beyond that, we're thinking of some meals as 'tastings.'

We are eating at four signature restaurants during out time there...so that doubling up of credits leaves some open time in the schedule for the Food and Wine Festival.

Plus, I am travelling with someone who is in their 60's. The sit down and rest aspect of each TS meal will be a welcome relief.

We will be there an entire week. If our trip was shorter, we would need less 'eat' time and more 'park' time.

Post Thanks / Like

Disney has plenty of accountants to make the money angle good for them. Only you can judge the value to you. We do out of pocket. Breakfast, 2 snacks and 1 table meal around 4.
    Even with the miles of walking, I cannot eat more and ride the rides.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me start off by saying that my family and I love to eat at Disney.

However, we have found the Deluxe dining requires us to eat all day in order to see a return on our spend. Last time, we spent more time on buses to restaurants, waiting for buses to restaurants, in line at restuarants, and sitting in restuarants than we did enjoying the park. In fact, we felt constantly rushed to our ADRs, which is no way to spend a vacation.

I'm not against the DDDP, just caution you to make sure you plan it right - stay in one park, and make sure you have enough time on your trip that you can see sights and eat. That was our mistake . . .
    Next trip DLR in February 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We love the Deluxe Plan....We usually either use snack credits for breakfast or just eat in our room (DVC at BLT) and by doing this we have a few extra that we use to double up for meals that take 2 credits.

We cover all of our Lunch and Dinners and still have enough for a Character Breakfast.

After playing all day at the parks it is nice to just take a breather and sit down for a meal and reenergize.

We also look forward to having the interaction with characters without having to stand in line. Last Christmas we met all the characters that we wanted and did it all while we were eating...two birds with one stone.. and we also have some great pictures of the whole family while we did it.

Is it a great value for us ? We did the math and for us we save $$...for others it may not work. We place a value on the experience too and for us it is the way to go.

Headed back in 25 days and are signed up for the DDDP once again and we can't wait !!!
    Me - Randy - 46 (Wheelchair User & ADA Expert) DW - Chris - 40 DS - Alex - 12 DD - Reagan - 6

DVC Members since 12/31/09 !!! (BLT)
    October 2006 - Offsite --Dec 2009 - Xmas - BLT -- Oct 2010 BLT

Disability is the only minority that anyone can join at anytime....Access is good for Everyone !

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: