Quantcast They Won't Remember

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default They Won't Remember

My son was 23 months on our last trip and here we are a full year later about to go back 1 month shy of his 3rd birthday. I've started packing and he asks what I'm doing. I tell him I'm getting ready for Disney World. He asks about riding the tea cups and seeing the mouse. I tell him sure, we'll ride the tea cups and see Mickey. He says no the mouse that peeks on the tea cups. I didn't even remember that there is in fact a little mouse that peeks out of the tea kettle in the middle of the tea cup ride. We don't look at vacation photos or watch videos so the only explanation is that he remembered this detail that I myself had forgotten.

Now we'll have to make sure we squeeze in a tea cup ride before it closed for refurb.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

How sweet! I love when that happens. It is amazing the little details they can remember and the things that are important to them that we would just walk by! Have fun on the teacups!
    June 29-July 5th-Shades of Green
    Sep 2013-Port Orleans FQ
    Dec 2010 Coronado Springs
    Dec 2009 Pop Century
    Sep 2008 POFQ
    Sep 2006 POFQ
    SOG Dec 2006
    April 2002 All Star
    May 1998 SOG
    June 1993 POFQ
    Disneyland-numerous times since 1966 (Last time-Jul 2012)

Post Thanks / Like

My nephew does the same thing. We are going down right after his 4th birthday. Of course he thinks we are staying at Bay Lake Towers b/c that is where we stayed last November (it was a fluke that it became available for our trip). He still remembers "blue 6" the bus stop at Saratoga Springs. He is very upset when we tell him we are staying at Old Key West - he argues that we are staying at Bay Lake Towers. Our only out with this is that they will be refurbishing the rooms to fix some minor problems - like the bathrooms not locking (his favorite thing was to open the door when Pop Pop was in the main bathroom).

He wants my girls to meet Mickey first. And I am sure he will remember how each one reacted. You never know what kids will come out with or what they remember.

#35 - SSR 05/16
    34 trips
    2015 SSR
    2014 GFV & CBR/ToT 10mi!
    2013 DWL & POFQ
    2012 Bdwlk & SSR
    2010, 2011 OKW
    2009 BLT & SSR
    2008 SSR & AKV
    2007 SSR 2x
    2006 SSR 2x
    '05 DVC!SSR/DCL
    '03,'04, '07 POP
    '98, '99 ASMo
    '95, '96 2x, '97, '98 ASMu
    '89-'94 Off

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my gosh, that's SOO cute!! It IS so funny what children remember, and what we wouldn't even notice. I hope you, and he, enjoy those tea cups!
    ~Jen, Jon, Collin, & Brady~

Owners in BLT!!

Next trip: BCV in February 2019!

So many great trips!!
    Off-site the first trips
    Disney Villas(way back!)
    CBR
    AS Mu/Mo/Sp
    CSR
    POR x2
    AKL/BW
    BLT
    BWV
    Poly DVC

1363 miles from WDW - too far!! :-(

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

That's too cute!

We have kind of a funny story from our family that's similar ...

DD was about 4 and we're sitting on the curb in Magic Kingdom getting ready for Spectromagic to start. I'm a huge Spectro fan and I remember the first time we took DD to see it very fondly. So I'm holding her in my lap and I say (in a very "this is a special Daddy/Daughter moment way), "Honey, do you remember the very first time we saw this parade together? We sat in the exact same spot and you sat on my lap the whole time and watched the parade."

She looks at me for a minute, clearly thinking about this long and hard. Then she goes, "No ... I don't remember that." Then there's this long pause and she looks down at the storm drain that's under where we're sitting and says, "I remember this grate."

So yeah ... we agree ... it's funny what kids remember!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, kids remember some CRAZY things.

Our son remembered our hotel room number form the Grand Californian from our first family stay there when he was only just 3 years old. We returned last summer (he had just turned 5). When we got up the to Concierge Lounge to check in, they told us that our room wasn't ready yet. When they handed us the room keys, the space for "room number" was blank. I asked "what will our room number be". My SON answered "6108", because that was the number the LAST time we stayed there. The woman checking us in snapped her head over to him and had this look of utter shock on her face. She sharply said to me "how did he know that?" So, I said, "oh, that was our room number last time we stayed here." She replied "Well, that's your room number this time too!" DS was like, "I told you so." It was pretty funny.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Default I can' believe such memories my children have either...

Getting ready for our trip and I am playing youtube videos of rides...well I was playing Soarin' and was about to turn it off, and my five yr old (last visited when he was three)
    wait until the ball flys at us with a mickey on it! He truly is like his mommy!
    4.19.02- Baked for the mouse
    2002-Baked at Epcot’s Food and Wine
    11.13.02- Took a Norwalk Virus Disney Cruise
    6.20.04-Married at WDW Wedding Pavilion/ Reception at Boardwalk
    Old Key West:My Home
    "But father...I'm indecent" C.O.P.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Our son remembered our hotel room number form the Grand Californian from our first family stay there when he was only just 3 years old. We returned last summer (he had just turned 5). When we got up the to Concierge Lounge to check in, they told us that our room wasn't ready yet. When they handed us the room keys, the space for "room number" was blank. I asked "what will our room number be". My SON answered "6108", because that was the number the LAST time we stayed there. The woman checking us in snapped her head over to him and had this look of utter shock on her face. She sharply said to me "how did he know that?" So, I said, "oh, that was our room number last time we stayed here." She replied "Well, that's your room number this time too!" DS was like, "I told you so." It was pretty funny.
    Wow, that's unbelievable - both that he remembered from last time, and that you got the same room twice!
    ~Jen, Jon, Collin, & Brady~

Owners in BLT!!

Next trip: BCV in February 2019!

So many great trips!!
    Off-site the first trips
    Disney Villas(way back!)
    CBR
    AS Mu/Mo/Sp
    CSR
    POR x2
    AKL/BW
    BLT
    BWV
    Poly DVC

1363 miles from WDW - too far!! :-(

Post Thanks / Like

Love the stories, especially the storm grate! So funny!
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
    Love the stories, especially the storm grate! So funny!
    I actually took a picture of "The Grate" for posterity.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenperich View Post
    Wow, that's unbelievable - both that he remembered from last time, and that you got the same room twice!
    I know! He thinks that is "our" room now.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

These stories are soo great!!! It is amazing what those little minds hold!
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

We're at Disney right now with my 2 1/2 year old and just rode the tea cups. He was pointing up saying Mickey. I never saw the mouse come up until he pointed it out.

Disney World
    Off site - 1980-1983
    CR - 87, BC - 95, YC - 99, BW - 05, GF - 06, BW - 07
    BC - 09 with kids and grandkids
    BC - 10, BC - '11,
    June 2012, family retirement vacation Poly
    Dec. 2013 GF/BC CL
    Sept. 2014. GF. CL. 40th Anniversary.

It ain't a vacation if you don't go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

How sweet!
    DVC MEMBER since 2009
    CS- Oct.2006 *Honeymoon*
    ASM- Sept. 2009 BLT- Nov. 2010
    WLV- Oct. 2012 SSR- July 2013
    BLT- Jan. 2014 WLV- Nov. 2015
    SSR- Mar. 2016 OKW- Oct. 2017
    SSR- Apr. 2018 BC- May. 2018
    BC- Aug. 2018 BLT Dec. 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I always have people telling me, "Oh, they'll never remember that trip." But it's all they've been talking about since they've been, and it's all they want to do. It's amazing how WDW impresses the little ones as much as the big ones.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

You never know what goes on in the head of a little one. In 2007 our young son was 6. We tried to explain to him what WDW was like before we went but knew he would be overwhelmed. On our last morning we were at the desk checking out and he put his head down and started crying. The girl behind the desk asked him what was wrong and he said he didn’t want to leave. At that moment I knew we hit a home run. Now we’re going back in a few weeks and now knows what to expect ….
    DW 51 DD24 DS 23 DS 9

Fort Wilderness Campgrounds 1980
    Polynesian resort (Honeymoon) 1982
    Off Site 1984
    Disney Villas, (by Pleasure Island) 1990
    Beach Club Resort 1995
    Beach Club Resort 1996
    Beach Club Resort 2007
    Beach Club Resort 11/26 – 12/4 2010

Post Thanks / Like

They're always watching...
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Cool stories! I always say how my DD1 doesn't remember her first trip when she was just 2 1/2, and for the most part, she doesn't, but I know those memories are locked in there somewhere, and someday maybe she'll have a pleasant flashback or two. one sign that she remembers is her fondness for that parent trap, Dumbo. She insisted on riding it first this trip like she did when she was 2. Such nostalgia for a child!
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

I was 5-6 years old during my 1990 trip, during my 1997 trip I was 12-13.
    I remember seeing a few things on that 97 trip and saying to myself, "I remember that", when it was something I hadn't thought about at all over the last 7 years. Examples:
    The stage show with the stages that moved, to reveal another, then those stages removed for another scene (Indiana Jones Adventure)
    On the 3rd lift of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, there's a continuation of the cave above you (it's made to look like the track broke), when I saw that, I remember that I thought "I wonder what's up there".
    Furthermore at age 5-6 I can remember being totally grossed out about the concept of body wars.

The information in my signature comes not from my parents, but from memory, of course it's easy for anyone to remember what happened earlier this year, but I can remember vague details about those 3 trips from 1988-1990 when I was 3-6 years old.

For the first one, we were at some timeshare rental place I believe, it had yellow light bulbs and we took a bus there, stops were numbered.

The second one we stayed off site, at some motel (you entered from the outside), 3-4 levels and I think it a blue roof with white walls. There was also some place with simply a ferris wheel nearby.
    As for the 1990 one we stayed at the Hilton originally, it was something having to do with my aunt getting the trip but not being able to go, and she gave it to us. I remember that we sat at the same table for breakfast a couple days in a row, of course I commented. My parents then decided they wanted to stay longer so we went to the swan.
    1988- Off site
    1989- Off site
    1990- WDW Hilton & Swan
    1997- Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans Riverside)
    2005- Shades of Green
    June 2006- Pop Century
    Jan 2007- Disneyland- Disneyland Hotel
    Jan 2010- Disneyland- Double Tree Orange
    Oct 2010- Disneyland- Off site
    Sept 2011- All Star Sports

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: