Quantcast Our Summer Celebration, Day 6, Part 1

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Our Summer Celebration, Day 6, Part 1

Date: August 20, 2010

The Cast:
    DM: Me, Darth Macho, Celebrating Our 12th Anniversary. (Belatedly)
    DW: Dear Wife, The Queen, Celebrating Our 12th Anniversary. (Belatedly)
    DD1: Princess, 9yo, Celebrating 1st Visit (That she'll remember. She was just 2yo on her actual first visit.)
    DD2: Princess, 6yo, Celebrating 1st Visit (She was born mysteriously 9 months after our last visit…)

The Mid-Vacation, Dirty Laundry Blues

With three parks down, and five days into our trip, I woke up at 7am happy, but a little blue from the realization that we were already half-way through our trip. My only consolation was that we had returns to Epcot and MK, and we still hadn't been to the Studios. Today was going to be an Epcot encore, and we were going to spend the day exploring World Showcase, one of my favorite lands in WDW. Since World Showcase doesn't open until 11am, wakeup call was for 9am, so I decided to fill the time by doing our laundry. The idea was not to go home with ten days worth of dirty clothes, so I grabbed the laundry bag and my resort mug and headed over to the laundry room in neighboring Oak Manor. (I did not realize that Magnolia Terrace had it's own laundry room until we were packing to go home.) While the two loads were washing, I took the time to fill my mug with coffee and do a little exploring. Nothing soothes a pair of sore feet and tired legs like a brisk walk around a mammoth hotel, lol. I got another coffee refill and did a little souvenir shopping at Fulton's while the clothes dried, but soon I was back at the room folding the laundry while the others got ready to head out to Epcot for the day. I believe we used some of our snack credits for muffins and milk before heading out, but I forgot to make note of it.

South of the Border

We decided to start with our favorite pavilion in World Showcase, Mexico. When WDW designed this pavilion, they got everything right. The outside façade is impressive, but the inside is even better. What a wonderful idea to create a perpetually nighttime outdoor market…indoors! Both colorful and festive, it is one of my favorite spots in WDW. First we jumped on the ride, which has always been on my list of underrated attraction, and I thought the addition of the Three Caballeros was an improvement. They kept the best elements of the old ride, and added characters that I like, so I was happy with the new version. After the ride, we did some browsing and exploring. Thankfully the tequila bar hadn't opened yet, because I don't think it would have been a good start to the day to pound down a tequila flight on an empty stomach. Speaking of which, we were hungry, so we decided to see if they were taking walk-ups at San Angel Inn, but they were full-up and had no convenient openings. The quick serve area of Mexico was under construction, so we had to think of something nearby for lunch. We decided to try China which was just two doors down. Sadly, even though it was listed as their scheduled time, there was no sign of Mariachi Cobre when we headed out of Mexico…

Lunch in the Far East

I was excited to eat lunch at Lotus Blossom Café because it allowed my to dine with chopstick for the third day in a row! I had orange chicken and rice, DW had sweet and sour chicken and rice, and I'm not sure what the kids had exactly, but they love white rice so they ate mostly that. Critics might say that the food in China isn't "authentic" and is what you can get at any Chinese takeout place, but I feel that doesn't speak for the fact that the food wad delicious. I don't expect them to have authentic Chinese dishes, just good food, and I was happy with it.

Kidcot

After lunching in China, we decided to go back to Mexico and get the kids each a mask to decorate at all of the kidcot stations for each country. In retrospect, I guess I would have preferred to keep them occupied with the Kim Possible mission instead, because it looked like it was a lot more fun, but the kids were happy, and we have something to look forward to for next time, assuming they keep it. In any case, when we returned to Mexico to start their project, we were lucky enough to catch a few songs from Mariachi Cobre! They were wonderful, as usual, and my DDs got to take a picture with them, but the best part was when some tourist insisted on conducting for them, and they humored him, even though he clearly didn't have a clue what he was doing. Haha. I could tell that one of the musicians was a little annoyed, but he went along with it anyway.

After the music, and the masks, we headed over to Norway to continue our journey around World Showcase.

Next time...
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Only two countries? Come on Darth!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Only two countries? Come on Darth!!!
    That's exactly what I was saying at this point in the day.I was determined to get through all of WS and this was our last chance since this was our last Epcot day. In 2003 we never made it to UK or Canada, and I regretted that deeply.
    My wife had spent so long shopping in Mexico, and between stopping for lunch and doing Kidcot, I feared we wouldn't make it all the way.

Stay tuned for Parts 2 and 3, and find out if we made it!
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Laundry done? Check! Time for some Epcot fun? Check! Good start! Now tell us the rest of the story!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Another nice report. Thanks.
    Ron
    INTERCOT Staff
    WDW Cast Member
    Expedition: Everest
    Kali River Rapids

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good. Can't wait to hear if you made it through all the countries!!
    TRACEY
    ºOº

Disneyland as a kid
    11/02-POFQ * 07/04-Disneyland PPH * 11/05-AKL * 10/08-CBR * 12/10-WL * 11/11-AKL * 11/12-AKL * 11/13-GF * 11/14-AKL * 06/15-Poly * 12/15-YC * 5/16-BWI * 12/16-BC * 5/17-Poly * 10/17-GF * 12/18-POFQ * 12/19-YC * 12/20-CSR * 12/21-BC * 3/22-CSR

Next: 9/22*BWI

Post Thanks / Like

nice report
    "I'm so hungry! I sure hope those Princesses' can cook!" my DD before our breakfast at CRT

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the report.
    Vince
    aka. Vizsla

INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous and Disney Vacation Club

DVC Member 10/11/04

Post Thanks / Like

I am so glad I am reading your reports- it is helping to keep my mind off leaving in a couple of weeks for our trip. I am really enjoying reading your reports. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report, we did a 10 day trip last time and boy your feet and legs will know it after about 7 days

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Your a good man to go and do the laundry!!! Came home with 47 pounds of dirty clothes from our December trip (weighed suitcase at Bell Services).

Only 2 countries...Darth you are falling behind!

Hope you enjoyed a in Mexico!!

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, but did you hit the margarita stand during the Mexico Pavilion reprise?

Amy
    "I shall call him Squishy and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy."

"Just keep swimming...just keep swimming...just keep swimming, swimming, swimming...What do we do, we...swim...swim"

Previous trips: Dolphin/ASMo, CBR, AKL, Pop, WL
    Upcoming trip: Spring Break at Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I love Mexico, too! And eating with chopsticks (fun!). I'm not sure I've ever had authentic Chinese cuisine. I think you really have to go to China for that. Even in various Chinatowns around big cities, I've only managed Americanized Chinese food (but maybe I'm not going to the right places). I love it anyway. Our trip goal was to not have to do laundry (and we paid the price in extra luggage later). So, good call.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessgirls View Post
    Your a good man to go and do the laundry!!!

Julie
    Took the words right out of my mouth! Good man! Last year i had to do the laundry while husband and kids went to the pool

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Spending a lot of time in the World Showcase is the way to go! Glad to read that you got to see Mariachi Cobre, aren't they great? I'm betting that you succeed on your "World" tour, can't wait to find out!
    Eric
    Resorts:
    POLYNESIAN (Favorite), Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs. Beach Club, Saratoga Springs, AoA, All Star Sports and POP Century

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, good man at hitting the laundry chores while the girls were sleeping. I did one load while on our trip, and that was enough for me (and my spare change, which was non-existent when I finished)!

As the song says, "you've got a long way to go and a short time to get there" to complete your WS tour. Hmmm, with the girls doing KidCot I wonder if you'll be able to make it?! Looking forward to seeing if you can complete this mission!
    Carol (aka KylesMom)
    INTERCOT Staff: Mousellaneous & Trip Reports
    Last Trip: ICOT 15
    Happy A/P Holder 2002 - 2011

Post Thanks / Like

The girls will love the Kim Possible in Epcot next time around. I hope too that they keep it for I want to finish the countries that way. It is a lot of fun.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: