Quantcast Down Syndrome

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Down Syndrome

Post Thanks / Like

Default Down Syndrome

Hi
    We are taking my brother in his first WDW trip this Christmas. He's 20 years old and have a lot of mental retardation.
    He doesn't like lines, he gets really mad if he has to wait in a crowd. What we can do? I read about the assistance card, how do it works?
    I will really thankful if someone gave me any advice!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

to Intercot, Eli!

I've never used an assistance card, but am sure there'll be someone on the boards that has some experience.

Christmas week is one of the most (if not, THE most) crowded week at WDW, so there will be crowds / lines.

The parks are decorated in true Disney style and the atmosphere is magical.

Some suggestions (in general) -

Take advantage of the Fast Pass system - minimal wait times.

Make sure to make dining reservations (if you haven't done so already).

Make a list of attractions / shows that you 'must' see, and also a list of attractions / shows that you will do if time / crowds permit.

Plan to be at the parks early (at opening times) and head for the attractions that typically have long lines. Parks get busier as the day goes on.

Families with younger kids tend to leave the parks around 8 / 9pm, so you may be able to squeeze a few of the Fantasyland attractions in later in the evening.

If you're staying on property, take advantage of the Extra Magic Hours. Every day, one park will open early and another park will stay open just for WDW Resort Guests.

Contact Guest Services at WDW and see what magic they can do for guests with disabilities - I'm sure they will have lots of ideas for you.

Disney is life......the rest is just details!

Post Thanks / Like

The Guest Assistance Card (GAC) will be the answer to your prayers! We use it for our DS12 who has autism and developmental delays. It will allow for you to go to alternate entrances to go on attractions...which basically means that you will either go through the Fast Pass lines or you will enter through the Exits. At each attraction it is a little different. Just find a cast member at the attraction and show them the card and they will direct you to where you need to go. It doesnt put you to the front of the line, but it does cut the wait down considerably, which is what the issue for you seems to be. (as it is for us, too)
    Whatever park you go to first, go DIRECTLY to Guest Services and tell them the situation and that you need to get a Guest Assistance Card for your brother. They will ask how many days you will be in the parks and they will write it out for your length of stay. That will be only time you will have to go to Guest Services as long as you don't lose it. What we do, is have a lanyard with a plastic sleeve that our DS wears around his neck. We put the card in that sleeve so it is readily available whenever we get to an attraction. We also put a 'lost' card with our contact info in the sleeve in the event that he gets away from us while we are in the park...which thankfully has never happened and I don't see happening but you can never be too cautious when it comes to special needs children.
    I hope you have an amazing trip and I hope your brother is as awestuck as our son was his frist trip! He has the Disney fever now as badly as his mama does!

Good luck!
    Disney BORN & BRED!

71-78 FL resident, MANY visits!
    78-79 CM@MK
    85&90-offsite
    94-SOG
    01&05-Band trips-offsite
    May08-1st visit 4 our spec DS! POFQ
    MAY09-POFQ-DD's college grad!
    POFQ/MNSSHP 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both for your suggestions! I already take note!! I didn’t know about the advantage of staying in a WDW Resort, I have been to WDW before but never stay before in its hotels.

Just one question, with the GAC only my brother can go through fast lines (with somebody obviously) or all the family can past?? Because it seems complicated if just he and an adult can go through, and the rest of the family have to wait.

Thanks again!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eli View Post
    Thank you both for your suggestions! I already take note!! I didn’t know about the advantage of staying in a WDW Resort, I have been to WDW before but never stay before in its hotels.

Just one question, with the GAC only my brother can go through fast lines (with somebody obviously) or all the family can past?? Because it seems complicated if just he and an adult can go through, and the rest of the family have to wait.

Thanks again!!!
    The GAC will be issued for the entire party, so you can all ride together. They will issue it for up to SIX people total (including your brother).
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    Our daughter has Down Syndrome and we used the GAC on our last visit...she was only 2 at the time so there are obviously great differences. I mainly wanted to point out that (we found, anyway) the even though you may be in the GAC line, there may still be a considerable wait. On It's a Small World, the Jungle Cruise, and the AK Safari, we may have actually waited LONGER than if we had been in the regular line as we had to wait for a special vehicle. Just something to keep in mind. Have a great trip!
    LORI
    2012 Boardwalk with DH, DBIL, DSIL, no kids!
    2010 Old Key West, same crowd :)
    2008 Poly with DH, DS, DD and in-laws
    2005 CBR with DH and DS
    2000 POFQ with DH
    1998 CSR with Mom
    1997 CBR with friends
    1992 DL with friends
    1979 & 1985 Offsite as a child

7.37 miles from WDW. My retirement dream come true!
    Post Thanks / Like

We used the GAC card when I went with my grandson who has aspergers...it was wonderful and, as the previous poster said, it almost always put us in the fast pass line or special entrances and, on accasion the wait was still too long so we ould leave and try again later.

Just one thing to note, and this is a decision only you can make...my grandson is very sensitive so we did not make a big deal out of the GAC card in front of him...we were careful to keep it accessible no lanyards, etc.

Have a great time...he will LOVE IT!
    I LOVE DISNEY WORLD!!!!!
    A dream is a wish your heart makes and mine came true when I retired here in December 2014! I go to a park at least once a week!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WishingStar2006 View Post
    Just one thing to note, and this is a decision only you can make...my grandson is very sensitive so we did not make a big deal out of the GAC card in front of him...we were careful to keep it accessible no lanyards, etc.
    I can understand this for higher functioning kids, but that is not the case with our son. We tell him it is his 'ticket' to go on the rides and he accepts that. We have to use the lanyard as a safety precaution in case our son was to wander away and was lost as he does not speak very well. The lost card we put in the sleeve would help others locate us. As PP stated, it will be a very personal decision for you.....one only you can make.

Have fun!!
    Disney BORN & BRED!

71-78 FL resident, MANY visits!
    78-79 CM@MK
    85&90-offsite
    94-SOG
    01&05-Band trips-offsite
    May08-1st visit 4 our spec DS! POFQ
    MAY09-POFQ-DD's college grad!
    POFQ/MNSSHP 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

I will keep in mind all your advises. Like I said my brother has a lot of mental retardation so he doesn’t realized he is different. He just knows he is our baby and that we live for make him happy.
    A 'lost' card can be a good idea because even though he doesn’t used to walk without any of us something could draw his attention. Also we have to considered that we are from Costa Rica and he even does not speak very well Spanish.
    I know he will love Small Word so I will check the regular line first
    Thank you again for your observations!! I'm so excited about this trip!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: