Quantcast Memorable character greetings!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Memorable character greetings!

I was just wondering if anyone has had a particularly memorable greeting with a Disney character at the parks who just excelled and went above and beyond to fit their character?

Our last trip in August, we went to the Character Spot in Epcot for the first time. It was fun meeting all the characters, but meeting Donald was one of the funnest memories we had! I have a tattoo of the Mickey Mouse head on my shoulder. Donald saw the tattoo and pointed to it, and then shrugged his shoulders as to say "where's the Donald Duck tattoo?!" I just shrugged my shoulders as well, since I do not have a Donald tattoo! He then linked arms with my sister and made faces at me, being totally in character of Donald. When we went to take the picture, he then put the bunny ears behind my head. He had us all laughing! Most of the characters just got their picture taken but didn't really bring anything extra special. This meeting with Donald made our day! And I am now considering getting a Donald tattoo because of it lol!

Anyone else have a special memory of meeting a character?

*2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge--in progress*
    *2010 Polynesian*
    *2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge*
    *2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge*

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had a few memorable character experiences... The ones that stand out are (in no particular order) -

Meeting Chip & Dale in Epcot's character meet 'n' greet. It was towards the end of the evening and there maybe 6 or 7 guests in the area, along with Mickey, Goofy, Donald, and Chip & Dale, so lots of interaction time. Chip & Dale, being the mischievous chipmunks that they are, decided it would be fun to take my camera and take some pics of themselves with the different guests that were there, as well as with the other characters and CMs. After a little while, Chip, Dale, & myself took a pic of ourselves. Like your experience with Donald, it's those special moments when you get extended 'interaction moments' that really make your day.

Another fun moment was at MK's MVMCP. It was, again, towards the end of the evening and had been raining on and off all night, so lots of guests had already left (or in the process of leaving) the parks. I was in Adventureland and had a rare opportunity to get a 'behind the scenes' tour on Jungle Cruise (not many guests knew JC was open). After JC, I spotted Brer Fox and one of the Country Bears near the Tiki guys (opposite entrance to Enchanted Tiki Room). Apart from the two characters and a CM, there was only one family in the area. After the family had taken pics with the characters, I took some pics and the characters and CM were then looking around to see where guests were. Adventureland was kinda like a ghost town - no guests walking around. So, the characters linked both my arms with theirs and we all walked through Adventureland to Pirates of the Caribbean (I felt like Dorothy walking down the yellow brick road with a bear and a fox).

Another fun experience was with King Louie. I was waiting in MK's Town Square for Spectromagic. King Louie was stood near the Town Square entrance of the Emporium, so unless guests were purposely looking around, they wouldn't have noticed King Louie. Lots of guests were heading towards the exits and King Louie was waving his arms and dancing trying to have fun with guests and not many people noticed him. Every time he tried to get attention but failed, he would slump his shoulders and shake his head. When there was a gap in the crowds leaving, he'd wave at me and I'd wave back and he'd act so happy that I'd noticed him. After about 20 minutes of the back & forth waving, he walked over to where I was and gave me a hug. Of course, at this time, he was no longer 'out of sight' from the guests leaving the park, so a lot of guests requested his autograph and pic.

I do have more stories, but have shared a few here...
    Disney is life......the rest is just details!

Post Thanks / Like

We had a memeorable visit with Minnie Mouse last August at Chef Mickey's. My DD who was then 7 chose to wear a red dress with white polka dots (very Minnie like). When Minnie came over she pointed at her dress then DD's dress and had her pose holding her dress like she does. When I gave her the autograph book (which was open and ready with the pen), I see her flipping through it. I thought "Minnie, what are you doing it was ready for you". After she left we read it and it said "Sarah, I love your dress it looks just like mine! Love Minnie." It took me a while to realize she was looking in the front of the book for her name! Which I had just put in there not to long before! Very sweet of Minnie and I thought a lot to write with the big hands!

Post Thanks / Like

I think I have so many memorable moment I can't remember them all! I did love when I met Bolt, Mittens and Rhino a few years ago. They all just attacked me and it was hilarious! Instead of a boring picture they all just huddled around me! It was so cute and such a fun time!
    Just call me Jen ;)

2/11-8/11: WDWCP DHS Attractions - GMR
    Current - GMR/JTA/Star Tours

Previous Trips:
    10/21/10-10/24/10 - Halloween Party
    9/10/10-9/12/10 - Tink Weekend :D
    6/23/10-6/30/10
    March 2010
    March 2009
    10/24/08 - 10/25/08
    August, 2007
    Many, Many more....

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a few, two very recent ones, and one not-so-recent.

I went for my 20th birthday, back in 2000, and we were in the MK for EMH. My friend and I found Chip and Dale pretty much by themselves. I had braided my hair into 2 pigtails. Chip grabbed them and started flinging them around and pulling me backward with them. Then he and I ran around Dale in a circle, with Chip trying to catch me. They were in no hurry, as no one else was around at the time.

Last year, we went for my DD's 1st birthday. We had two great experiences on that trip (well worth taking her, even if she doesn't remember it!). First, we met Tink, Rosetta, and Iridessa at Pixie Hollow in the MK. We were the last ones in the room, and once everyone else had left, the 3 fairies sat down in the floor and played with DD for quite a while. They sang to her, played pat-a-cake, and signed her birthday card. We had dressed her in her Tink outfit, and the real Tink loved it! She kept talking and talking about DD being such a little Tinker.
    Then we met Chip and Dale (again!) in Epcot. They played around with DD, and Chip even got upset when she seemed to favor Dale. They let us take lots of pictures, then they walked DD, hand in hand, out of their area and over to the Epcot walkway. I just love the picture of them walking with her, and her looking up at them.
    Susan °o°

You cheated.
    Pirate.

8/98 CBR; 10/00 ASM; 11/01 POR; 7/07 POR; 10/09 ASM; 10/10 Pop; 6/12 ASM; 12/13 ASM; 6/14 FWC; 7/15 FWC; 12/16 2 weeks at FWC!

Post Thanks / Like

This was at Disneyland this summer. DD and I went to the Plaza Inn for an early breakfast. Captain Hook was one of the characters. He came by and took my rollator/walker, sat down an was rolling around the restaurant. It was just too funny.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

This was during our first trip to WDW as a family & involved my youngest sister. We were in MK for E-ticket night. We were walking through Frontierland & the Country Bears were walking about. The tall gray bear (ugh, name escapes me, I have a headache & just can't think) walked by me, my mom, and my younger sister, grabbed my youngest sister & leaned her back like he was dipping her, "kissed" her, put her back upright, wiped his mouth & then continued on his way. The reaction that drew from the people around us was hysterical.

Then there was a dinner at Chef Mickey's where Minnie was absolutely in love with my younger brother. She visited our table a lot that night. The pictures we have of this interaction are awesome--he's blushing in every one!

Same brother, but 4 years ago the Queen of Hearts was enamoured with him so much that she took his baseball hat, threw it under her dress & sat on it & refused to give it back unless he gave her a ring. He kissed her hand, which she accepted.
    Michael Bluth: I need access to these files that are apparently for British eyes only.
    Rita: Well, lucky for you, my whole face is British.

Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago I took my son to see Minnie Mouse on the way to see Pooh. She indicated that she wanted to take him to see Pooh herself. She then pushed his wheelchair while Pluto skipped along behind. It was like our own little parade. He loved it.

Also, we ran into Alice and the Mad Hatter. Upon asking what my son's favorite Alice in Wonderland song might be, they started singing Golden Afternoon and the Unbirthday Song. I was quite impressed as the Mad Hatter was very "mad hattery"
    Kerry

Post Thanks / Like

At Charactor spot Donald was not happy about my Mickey shirt and gave me the what for . I offered to turn it wrong side out and he covered his face in embarrassment and shook his head no...very funny encounter.

Post Thanks / Like

Chip and Dale sound like a lot of fun! I haven't had a chane to meet them yet but I will definately look for them next visit! It's definately special when a character goes the extra mile to make an impact on your day.

My family and I actually saw at the Donald character breakfast at Tusker House, Goofy was at a table with a family and he had reached out his hand to shake the dad's hand. When the dad reached for his hand, Goofy jerked his hand away, as a joke, being totally in character. I then saw that the dad looked annoyed or mad about this and turned his back, ignoring Goofy. I could tell that the dad was actually mad, and was not joking. I was thinking really? You can't be mad at Goofy! He was being in character and looked like he was just trying to have fun!

*2010 Polynesian*

Post Thanks / Like

I have so many. But 2 of my favorites are:
    *getting to ride the Teacups with Alice and Mad Hatter

*Mickey "proposed" to me in front of the castle. It's one of my favorite pictures
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

At DHS the year I was a cast member I happened to be there on my "off" day. I happened to be in DHS the night that The Osbourne lights were debuting. I had no idea what this was as I had never been there before during Christmas celebrations
    So I'm standing there waiting with a ton of other people. Minnie and Pluto come out, the light switch gets turned on, Minnie Mouse (my favorite) takes my hand and walked with me through the lights with her.
    What a magical time that was for me! I was missing home like crazy and really needed it that night!

When in cast member training they were telling us how to bring our own talents into being a cast member. A former "Mickey Mouse" employee was there. She told this amazing story.....She had learned sign language many years before she became The Boss :0) and so one day while she was in a meet and greet session she saw a little boy signing to his mom saying I hope Mickey doesn't get mad because I cannot speak to him and he won't understand me. She saw in his mom's face that she was sooo worried and sad for him.
    When the boy walked up Mickey signed hello! how are you!? My name is Mickey Mouse! The little boy filled up with tears and looked at his mom an signed MICKEY CAN ONLY TALK TO ME!!!!
    It is a story that I will remember always
    It gave the whole class chills Disney magic at it's best
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joannelet View Post
    At DHS the year I was a cast member I happened to be there on my "off" day. I happened to be in DHS the night that The Osbourne lights were debuting. I had no idea what this was as I had never been there before during Christmas celebrations
    So I'm standing there waiting with a ton of other people. Minnie and Pluto come out, the light switch gets turned on, Minnie Mouse (my favorite) takes my hand and walked with me through the lights with her.
    What a magical time that was for me! I was missing home like crazy and really needed it that night!

When in cast member training they were telling us how to bring our own talents into being a cast member. A former "Mickey Mouse" employee was there. She told this amazing story.....She had learned sign language many years before she became The Boss :0) and so one day while she was in a meet and greet session she saw a little boy signing to his mom saying I hope Mickey doesn't get mad because I cannot speak to him and he won't understand me. She saw in his mom's face that she was sooo worried and sad for him.
    When the boy walked up Mickey signed hello! how are you!? My name is Mickey Mouse! The little boy filled up with tears and looked at his mom an signed MICKEY CAN ONLY TALK TO ME!!!!

thats adorable!!!!!!! i'm tearing up from it
    Just call me Jen ;)

Previous Trips:
    6/23/10-6/30/10
    March 2010
    March 2009
    10/24/08 - 10/25/08
    August, 2007
    Many, Many more....

Post Thanks / Like

Fun stories!

I have a lot of favorite character meetings, but the best was an Aladdin encounter we had when my DH was running the marathon a few years back. My sons and I had gone to DHS to see him run through, and we were at the tables outside in front of the ABC Commissary. No one was back there and up walked Aladdin and Jasmine. Jasmine continued to greet the runners, but Aladdin sat down with my boys. I was getting updates via my phone on my DH's progress, so they all discussed the race route, going over the map and when their dad might pass us, etc. We were all ready with a welcoming committee when he finally did. I felt so sorry for Aladdin and Jasmine having to pose with my sweaty DH. Good times!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'll throw my oar in.
    The last week of January 2009 I was in WDW for a conference, and ended up having fun there, too! I posted a TR way back then, but this thread jogged my memory on one memorable character interraction.
    My second to last day at WDW was Saturday, and I had booked a last-minute ADR at 1900 Park Fare for brunch. It is important to point out two facts:
    1. I was solo and wearing a sports jacket (not vacation clothes)
    2. I am from Kansas, and get 'Wizard of Oz' references tossed at me all the time after revealing that to non-Kansans.
    Anyways, at this brunch it had Pooh, Tigger, Alice, the Hatter and Mary Poppins; all of whom where very sociable.
    Alice does get the kudos for memorable experience.
    I had finished eating and was burying my nose in my Blackberry, sending imaginary emails to clients and modifying non-existent sales reports when she sat down opposite me. She first remarked that someone put something in my drink (I had a Bloody Mary cocktail with celery) and remarked how much she hated celery. She asked where I was from, and I said 'Kansas'.
    She then remarked that certain people would mistake her for Dorothy, and we bantered back and forth about this and how silly it was (Dorothy is a brunette, Alice is blonde, etc etc). It was a very nice interaction and certainly memorable.
    That and Mary Poppins at the same meal calling me out on the 'autographs for my nieces' excuse.
    She was nice about it, saying something like "You know, we don't mind seeing well-dressed and well-mannered gentlemen like yourself."

Now, sitting in the corner office and two years later, I still get a chuckle out of that.
    "Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives..."

Post Thanks / Like

I really do have to hand it to the characters & CMs when they go out of their way to 'seize the moment' with a guest or group of guests.

Simple things that characters do that would make a 'wow moment' for a guest makes a huge difference. Every guest is different - whether it's sharing a joke with an adult, hugging a guest in a wheelchair, or signing 'hello' to a deaf child - characters can leave a lasting impression.

I love it when the characters stay true to the character and really play up the characteristics. I doubt there would be many stories posted here if characters just stood there and posed for a pic and didn't 'connect' with guests.
    Disney is life......the rest is just details!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joannelet View Post
    That is fantastic! What a wonderful story I love reading everyone's experiences. You can tell that these CMs really enjoy what they're doing and want us all to have a magical time

*2010 Polynesian*

Post Thanks / Like

I got some more fun meet n greets a few weeks ago! Rosetta and I were talking for like 5 minutes about gardening and how we hate mud and all this random stuff, it was great!

also i wore purple to match vidia and she told me i was the smartest human she's met all day, haha

I also remembered on st patricks day tink got mad at me cuz i was wearing my rosetta shirt on tinker talent appreciation day, even though she was on my sweatshirt, she wasn't too happy with me.

i feel like there are other but i sorta can't remember
    Just call me Jen ;)

Previous Trips:
    6/23/10-6/30/10
    March 2010
    March 2009
    10/24/08 - 10/25/08
    August, 2007
    Many, Many more....

Post Thanks / Like

man where do I start... we had countless character interactions this past week.

My most favorite was the hug from snow white
    http://family.webshots.com/photo/290...84639932xfUCHn

but honestly the coolest was when we met mickey and minnie during the MNSHHP. He posed us in a great family portrait after begging minnie to come over (she was angry that mickey hadn't given her a ring yet) http://family.webshots.com/photo/286...84639932RSRtMx

our even getting to meet and talk with Snow White, Sleeping Beauty
    http://family.webshots.com/photo/242...84639932AiMSSs
    http://family.webshots.com/photo/222...84639932GbxMIe

Minnie's reaction to Adrianne's ring the 2nd time we met: http://family.webshots.com/photo/218...84639932quWcBE

this might be right up there in the running... A signed engagement card from Eeyore, Piglet, Pooh and Tigger: http://family.webshots.com/photo/220...84639932qldCab
    ** Engagement Trip: 10/9/10 - 10/18/110 - (Fountains)
    ** Honeymoon Trip: 12/9/11 - 12/14/11 (POLY) & 12/14/11 - 12/19/11 (BWI)
    ** Two Year Anniversary w/ family: 11/8/13 - 11/17/13(Fountains)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brivers222 View Post
    man where do I start... we had countless character interactions this past week.

My most favorite was the hug from snow white
    http://family.webshots.com/photo/290...84639932xfUCHn

but honestly the coolest was when we met mickey and minnie during the MNSHHP. He posed us in a great family portrait after begging minnie to come over (she was angry that mickey hadn't given her a ring yet) http://family.webshots.com/photo/286...84639932RSRtMx

our even getting to meet and talk with Snow White, Sleeping Beauty
    http://family.webshots.com/photo/242...84639932AiMSSs
    http://family.webshots.com/photo/222...84639932GbxMIe

Minnie's reaction to Adrianne's ring the 2nd time we met: http://family.webshots.com/photo/218...84639932quWcBE

this might be right up there in the running... A signed engagement card from Eeyore, Piglet, Pooh and Tigger: http://family.webshots.com/photo/220...84639932qldCab
    your links dont work
    Just call me Jen ;)

Previous Trips:
    6/23/10-6/30/10
    March 2010
    March 2009
    10/24/08 - 10/25/08
    August, 2007