Quantcast Too expensive - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Too expensive

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1DisneyNut View Post
    Apparently a lot of people have decided the value isn't there and aren't going. The crowds have been way down and were down when we were there a few weeks ago.
    Okay, so you just went but now you are going to say it was too expensive? It just sounds like sour grapes to me. Maybe you are trying to convince yourself so you can justify not going anymore.

Anyway, have you been living in the US since....well, anytime? Except for the fake real estate boom mid-decade, the country has essentially been lousy the last ten years. And this is especially true of the last three or four years.

Many people are just trying to hold on to jobs. Some are having to cope with the idea of earning less and stretching it further. I don't think it is any surprise that Disney is down because all leisure and travel are down across the board. Hawaii and Las Vegas are reeling from their lost tourism dollars!

Disney might not be for everyone, but we appreciate the opportunity to go when our vacation fund will allow.
    Last edited by KylesMom; 09-09-2010 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Language
    Beth & David

09/82 Treehouse Villas, 06/86 BVP, 10/95 CBR, 10/99 DI, 08/03 PORS, 10/05 POP, 11/06 AKL, 09/09 POLY, 10/10 Wonder, 05/11 Dream/PORS, 08/13 POLY, 11/13 GF, 04/15 POLY, 11/15 BLT, 11/16 Aulani, 03/17 BLT, 08/18 BLT, 07/19 AKL, 06/21 BLT

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baldburke View Post
    Okay, so you just went but now you are going to say it was too expensive? It just sounds like sour grapes to me. Maybe you are trying to convince yourself so you can justify not going anymore.
    Actually I have been saying there was less and less value at WDW for several years now, beginning before the recession. However we have still been several times since. We used to go twice a year, dropped to once a year and now we are just going to skip the next year or two. Next year we are going on a cruise. I don't get the "sour grapes" statement. If we wanted to go to WDW we could go next week or anytime we want. We just feel we aren't getting what we are paying for anymore. Of course I have been going my entire life so I have witnessed the erosion of service and quality first hand. Honestly what irritates me the most is as you pointed out the economy has been terrible the past decade but in case you haven't been keeping up, disney has continued to increase the prices EVERY single year without missing a beat. At the same time, they have to continuously run promos like free dining which more than offset the price increases to attract customers. The point I have been trying to make is most everyone that is stating what a great value they think wdw still is are taking trips using these promos. Take the promos away (which will happen as soon as the economy recovers) and see if you think it is still a great value. Ten years ago we used to go during peak season in the summer without any promos, paying full price and it was a great value. Now the rooms are over priced, the dining is mediocre at best, they have eliminated shows and services.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I have been saying there was less and less value at WDW for several years now, beginning before the recession. However we have still been several times since. We used to go twice a year, dropped to once a year and now we are just going to skip the next year or two. Next year we are going on a cruise. I don't get the "sour grapes" statement. If we wanted to go to WDW we could go next week or anytime we want. We just feel we aren't getting what we are paying for anymore. Of course I have been going my entire life so I have witnessed the erosion of service and quality first hand. Honestly what irritates me the most is as you pointed out the economy has been terrible the past decade but in case you haven't been keeping up, disney has continued to increase the prices EVERY single year without missing a beat. At the same time, they have to continuously run promos like free dining which more than offset the price increases to attract customers. The point I have been trying to make is most everyone that is stating what a great value they think wdw still is are taking trips using these promos. Take the promos away (which will happen as soon as the economy recovers) and see if you think it is still a great value. Ten years ago we used to go during peak season in the summer without any promos, paying full price and it was a great value. Now the rooms are over priced, the dining is mediocre at best, they have eliminated shows and services.
    Ahh....but as the economy recovers, as they start doing away with promos, people will stop coming because without promos, it will be too expensive, so Disney will have to cut prices, thus increasing the value.

It will all even out. Right now they're trying to even it out with promos while times are tough. IF we get to the point where times aren't as tough, they'll still want the parks full. What good does an empty park do for Disney? None, whatsoever. Yes, they're in the business of making money, but if they can't get people in the parks, then they're not making money. Their pricing will reflect the demand for their product.

You've been going for years and say that service and quality have declined. I can't disagree with that, because i've only been going for eight years. In those eight years, I haven't seen a decrease in either quality OR service. The only thing i've noticed is menu changes.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

"is getting way to expensive"?

Too late!
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by linedropper View Post
    Just seems like Disney is getting way to expensive.
    Disney charges prices it expects people to pay at a rate that allows the company to make large profits. The bigwigs care not about the average person, struggling now just to feed their family. As long as enough folks agree to pay the exorbitant prices, nothing will change. Reality stinks sometimes.

I rarely say this, but I agree with DisneyRox.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, it's just getting worse. Disney now offers a special "in-room" package that makes you a Princess. After looking at it, I fell in love. I'm not the "princess" type of girl, but it's pretty amazing. I figured it would be at least $100 but I could treat myself for my birthday. It turns out that it's almost $500. I know millionaires that would not spend that on a crown and some goodies. It's all greed, plain and simple. Even if I had the money, I couldn't justify the price, especially not when so many people in our country are struggling. I understand that Disney is a company and is there to make money, but I have to admit that I am still a bit disappointed.
    Two things You told me: That You are strong, and You love me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BellesRose View Post
    Unfortunately, it's just getting worse. Disney now offers a special "in-room" package that makes you a Princess. After looking at it, I fell in love. I'm not the "princess" type of girl, but it's pretty amazing. I figured it would be at least $100 but I could treat myself for my birthday. It turns out that it's almost $500. I know millionaires that would not spend that on a crown and some goodies. It's all greed, plain and simple. Even if I had the money, I couldn't justify the price, especially not when so many people in our country are struggling. I understand that Disney is a company and is there to make money, but I have to admit that I am still a bit disappointed.
    Uh, this is a Premium Experience. How can you complain that it's "all greed, plain and simple?" This looks like quite an ornate collection of "goodies". For $100, I'd expect cheap plastic stuff. They have to make a profit, after all. I think a price point of $500 is about right, considering the high cost of something as simple as an in room flower arrangement...

Sorry, but I feel no sympathy for people who are upset that they can't "afford" to spend $500 to "feel like a Princess." THAT is something that people do PURELY when they have throw away money. It's not anything that we should criticize Disney for profiting from.

It's actually one of those things that I have to give them credit for. There IS a market for this type of thing, and they are exploiting it. Good for them! If it puts gobs of money in their pockets, and it's something that is PURELY optional, then more power to them for offering it, and more power to those people who will plunk down the dough to make it happen.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree with the original poster. Disney is getting expensive. I am able to go when I would like to, but I know many others who can't afford it - no matter how much they try to scrimp and save. Those same people couldn't afford the Wisconsin Dells or New York City as others have talked about. Those places are expensive also. Comparing WDW to them does not mean it isn't expensive.
    One of my friends goes to a small town just north of Phoenix for one weekend with her husband and that is their vacation. They could never afford any of the trips that some take for granted. I took her to WDW one year. She thoroughly enjoyed herself, but I bet in the end, the time she spends with her husband in a small town for a lot less, means a lot more to her.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

It is expensive but oh so worth it, and there are many ways to minimize your cost.

-Try a value resort for under $100 per night.
    A) Use the buses, avoid paying for a car and parking.

-Dont get the park hopper and plan on only 1 park per day.

-Use the dining plan. Fill in the gaps by packing your own food.

-Book your flights way in advance. Try to use miles if you have any saved.

-Go during a time when park crowds are at its lowest.
    This will allow you to:
    A) go on every ride in the park with very short waits 5-10 min.
    B) Shorten your trip to only 4 or 5 days enough time for a trip to 1 park per day and youre done.

Buy souvenirs online on the disney store ahead of time and pack them with you to give to your kids. Avoid buying souvenirs in the park.

Post Thanks / Like

so, disney knows what it has and is doing... and are good at getting us to pay a bit more than we might want...
    the part that bugs me is that i feel somewhat picked on because my fam is five, and on top of that, my career choice will not let me go any time other than peak.. Oh well, we just go every seven years instead of every year!
    Forever
    Rely
    On
    God!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drinking Around The World View Post
    My wife said "Not going is not an option let's figure something out". So we did.
    Love this! She sounds like me when it comes to our every other year trip to WDW.

Post Thanks / Like

My husband and I think Disney is a pretty good deal, and if you are trying to get the most bang for your buck, go during Value Season or when there is some sort of promo, such as the "free" dining.

Truly, I think it can be affordable. We like to do a few things during the year, so staying at a Deluxe resort is out of the question for us, but I'll take a week at the Pop, if it means I get a week in Disney with all the magic!!
    The airfare does add another $1,000 to the trip, but I don't rent a car once I'm there and that saves, and TIME is MONEY.
    Dollar for Dollar and planning your trip at the right time of the year, I think you will see that it is a good value for all you get.
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

There are many ways to do WDW on the VERY cheap. You just have to be willing to settle.

#1 Camp instead of staying in a room. If you get a group of a couple people, you can put 2-3 families on 1 site. Example: $50 per night x 10 nights = $500

#2 Bring your own food and don't purchase WDW food. You have to eat at home, you can do the same camping. Saves a ton. Example: $0 difference than being at home.

Based on this and having to purchase 4 tickets for ~$1200, this is a vacation for 4 to WDW for 11 days for $1700. That is pretty darn cheap. Now, if you don't like this idea, then your standards and desires are different.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedDad View Post
    There are many ways to do WDW on the VERY cheap. You just have to be willing to settle.

#1 Camp instead of staying in a room. If you get a group of a couple people, you can put 2-3 families on 1 site. Example: $50 per night x 10 nights = $500

#2 Bring your own food and don't purchase WDW food. You have to eat at home, you can do the same camping. Saves a ton. Example: $0 difference than being at home.

Based on this and having to purchase 4 tickets for ~$1200, this is a vacation for 4 to WDW for 11 days for $1700. That is pretty darn cheap. Now, if you don't like this idea, then your standards and desires are different.
    I wouldn't call $1700 on the VERY cheap.

There are many people who like this idea, but can't afford $1700. Whereas in June, I went camping with some of my kids' friends' families. The tent site was $11/night x 10 nights = $110. They brought their own food = $0. No tickets to purchase, although it was $30 pp for the horseback riding one day = $120 for 4. That total is $230 compared to $1700. Additionally, the camp site was a 3 hour drive - compared to a 6 hour flight to WDW - even cheaper.

Yes, WDW is great, and I enjoy going. But no matter how you slice it, it is an expensive vacation. Even taking the accommodations out of the equation, the price of tickets for a family of four costs more than some people make in a month. There are much cheaper alternatives which provide just as much quality family time.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessgirls View Post
    My husband and I think Disney is a pretty good deal, and if you are trying to get the most bang for your buck, go during Value Season or when there is some sort of promo, such as the "free" dining.

Truly, I think it can be affordable. We like to do a few things during the year, so staying at a Deluxe resort is out of the question for us, but I'll take a week at the Pop, if it means I get a week in Disney with all the magic!!
    Many of us have kids in school. Value season is pretty much out of the question. We went once during fall break in October but now middle October is usually excluded from many of the promos just for that reason. We don't particularly like the value resorts either and can't stay in them with a total of five family members anyway other than the over priced "family suites" at ASM.

I wouldn't camp anywhere and especially not at WDW. You hit the nail on the head with "Now, if you don't like this idea, then your standards and desires are different." $1700 to sleep in a tent and use a public shower sounds ridiculous to me and I wouldn't even give it consideration. I understand some people love camping but it just isn't my cup of tea. Camping seems more like torture to me and I absolutely hate it. Conveniences, amenities, quality with value are top of the list with us when we go on a vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderelley View Post
    I wouldn't call $1700 on the VERY cheap.

There are many people who like this idea, but can't afford $1700. Whereas in June, I went camping with some of my kids' friends' families. The tent site was $11/night x 10 nights = $110. They brought their own food = $0. No tickets to purchase, although it was $30 pp for the horseback riding one day = $120 for 4. That total is $230 compared to $1700. Additionally, the camp site was a 3 hour drive - compared to a 6 hour flight to WDW - even cheaper.

Yes, WDW is great, and I enjoy going. But no matter how you slice it, it is an expensive vacation. Even taking the accommodations out of the equation, the price of tickets for a family of four costs more than some people make in a month. There are much cheaper alternatives which provide just as much quality family time.
    I completely agree. We have been researching and found many things we want to do that are a much better value than WDW at this time. Don't get me wrong, I love WDW as much as anyone here. I just don't like what corporate disney is doing with the place.

Post Thanks / Like

It boils down to this:

If YOU think Disney World is "too expensive", then it IS, for YOU.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I've done Disney SEVERAL times but lately it seems like there's an "expense" to "value" ratio that I'm having an issue with...the "value".

I think there are ways to visit Disney "cheaper" than the standard packages. But their "standard" packages have been going up. There's ALWAYS a way to do things "cheaper" if you really work at it. But I cannot envision "camping" in Florida in the Summer...

IF you have the ability to visit when DISNEY wants you to visit (not necessarily when the kids are out of school)...then you can get some really good deals. Otherwise it can be pretty crazy. Last year I tried to plan one...I was used to spending about $2500...the last time It was coming out to over $4000. Eventually the price came down but not until I scheduled something else.

The values are nice but I don't like the "double beds"...The moderates are nice but...again the "double bed" issue (except for CSR and I was not impressed with that hotel at all). If the moderates would replace with Queen beds I'd be more inclined to up their value.

The food has become more costly by quite a siginificant jump (what used to be $19-25 is now over $30) and the quality and service just doesn't seem to be as good as it used to be...in addition you have to call in 6 months ahead of time to get "reservations" . (oh heavens I HATE this reservation thing). Believe it or not when we "first" started going...the food was very good and you could walk up and get in within an hour or less.

The "magic evenings" we used to pay a miniscule $12 for to stay and play...it was GREAT...now everybody in the resorts can do this...it's no longer a "value" of staying in the resort...now there are tooooooo many people staying late because it's FREE.

Again...there ARE ways to do Disney on a "dime". But they take a lot of work and research to figure it all out (knew one gal who was staying in Florida for an extened time...she went to every "time share" lecture she could get into...collected a bunch of tickets...her husband had quarters paid for by his company...so all they had to do was pay for food and parking...can I tolerate even ONE time share lecture...no).

But in "general"...I feel like the cost of packages have gone up, price of tickets have gone up, price of food has gone up, price of hotels have gone up...so YES...the cost of Disney has gone up. If you really want to go...you have to be open to new "avenues".

In addition too...Just getting to Florida is a pain. If you plan on flying airlines are charging MORE and charging for your luggage too. SHEESH...this isn't "directly" a Disney issue...but still a cost.

YES the cost has gone up quite a bit and it's becoming more "challenging" to plan it.
    Have no clue 1983
    Days Inn 1992
    Value Movies 2002
    Value Music 2003
    Value Movies 2004
    DisneyLand 2005
    Value Pop July 2006
    Coronodo Springs 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    It boils down to this:

If YOU think Disney World is "too expensive", then it IS, for YOU.
    Technically, I believe a better title for this thread would have been "Disney World is becoming a poor value" instead of "too expensive". Because of the title of this thread, many of you automatically think those of us commenting on the expense can't afford to go because it is too expensive. If you read many of the posts, you will see that most of us, including myself, are saying the value isn't there anymore. We can, and do go to WDW but every time I plan a vacation there it just seems over priced and the quality and service has been diminishing. I realize it's a choice to go or not to go; everything in life is a choice. We are just discussing the value or lack of value found at WDW these days. These posts stating things like "If you think it is too expensive, then it is for YOU" are unproductive and rather off base for our discussion. All they do is point out the obvious, if you can't afford to go you don't go.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Technically, I believe a better title for this thread would have been "Disney World is becoming a poor value" instead of "too expensive". Because of the title of this thread, many of you automatically think those of us commenting on the expense can't afford to go because it is too expensive. If you read many of the posts, you will see that most of us, including myself, are saying the value isn't there anymore. We can, and do go to WDW but every time I plan a vacation there it just seems over priced and the quality and service has been diminishing. I realize it's a choice to go or not to go; everything in life is a choice. We are just discussing the value or lack of value found at WDW these days. These posts stating things like "If you think it is too expensive, then it is for YOU" are unproductive and rather off base for our discussion. All they do is point out the obvious, if you can't afford to go you don't go.
    Nice response overall. ITA and just wanted to echo your sentiments.

We used to religiously visit WDW three times a year at least, but we're down to one at this point. The value and quality of the experience just isn't there anymore.

I wonder ... once this recession is over (and no, I don't mean the "fake" over they're claiming now ... I mean really over), will things change? Will Disney slowly start to add things back? Will attendance and guest spending stay sluggish such that Disney realizes they were off base in blaming everything on the economy? Or will it just be business as usual?
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice plan but only works if you are within driving distance and doesn't have anything to do standards and desires!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: