Quantcast Disgusted with DVC reservation availability on DCL

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disgusted with DVC reservation availability on DCL

So we have, due to economy, postponed our Disney vacations for the last 2 years. Oh well, it was in our family’s best interest for the moment. Times have changed and we’re in the process of planning our next vacation and decided to do a Disney Cruise for NEXT year, just 4 days under 1 year away and use our points to offset the cost. Well, I call today to book the cruise, 5 day Bahamas cruise and there are NO ROOMS AVAILABLE. That is for DVC members using points there are no rooms available. ONE YEAR OUT!!! So now I have become so frustrated. All she could say is “can I talk you into using your points elsewhere or at another time?” NO you cannot talk me into anything. She then said I could use my points in 2012 at the same time, and “you have time to save and plan for a better vacation with us.” Really!! That is not how I would have put it to a customer. None the less, we won’t get our Disney Cruise this year, next year, or the following year for that matter.
    Sorry, but thank you for letting me vent….
    °O°Amy °O° DVC Member
    2011 Dec-Poly with the grandparents--whoo-hoo!!!
    2011 June-SSR!!!!!
    2008 Aug-Colbey&Gray's Birthday surprise-SSR/OKW
    2008 June-SSR
    2006 June-Port Orleans Riverside
    2004 Easter-CSR
    1988 May-Graduation
    1982 Offsite
    1980 Offsite

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

That is really unacceptable.
    * stayed at more then once
    Yacht Club, POR, POFQ,CSR,All Star Sports*,
    CBR,Pop Century*,CR,WL,FortWilderness* Animal Kingdom lodge,All Star Music*.

Post Thanks / Like

OMG this is awful!!
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Were you limited to certain dates or was it every date that you tried? Just curious how booked up they are
    Amanda, Mom of 4

ASMo Mar 2005
    Pop Sep 2006, Jan 2014, Jan 2016
    SSR Dec 2006
    Disney Magic Jan 2008, Mar 2009, Apr 2011
    OKW Jan 2009, June 2012, December 2017
    POFQ Jan 2012
    VWL Oct 2012
    AKV Jan 2013, June 2013, Aug 2015
    AOA July 2014
    All Star Sports Jan 2015

Post Thanks / Like

You can always rent your points and use the proceeds towards a cash cruise. If you do the math, I bet you actually come out ahead in the deal.

Just a quick check and you didn't really specify the number of points, so I'm estimating... This year's August, 5 night Bahama cruise is 200+ points per person in the cheapest category. If you rented those at $11 a point, that's $2200.

Just checked and you can cruise on RCCL you can do a 7 night cruise for 1/3 that PER PERSON. They don't go Bahamas in August except for a 3-4 day which is like $400 per person. You can do a 7 night Southern Caribbean for like $600 PER PERSON. Actually, you can have your pick of destinations, including Alaska, Japan, the Mediterranean with two people and probably include airfare for the cash equivalent of one person on a 5 night Disney cruise using points.

Go figure...

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, there was a major change in the way that DVC handles DCL ressies, which started on Friday.

Apparently, there is VERY limited availablility for DVC members to use points to cruise THROUGH Sept 2011. It appears that they have lowered the DVC inventory on DCl.

You can be asked to put on a call list, so that if availability opens up for the category you are looking for, they will call to ask if you want to book.

Also, if someone has booked a cash ressie with the intentions to convert to points, they may be out of luck, too. Even though, you have a stateroom # assigned, if DVC does not have availability in that category, you won't be able to convert.

Very sad to hear. We like the option of using our DVC points for cruising, too, so that we can switch up our vacations and venture away from WDW a few times. I don't have anyone to rent to or the time to find someone, so that isn't an option for us.

Sorry about your situation, but do call back and ask them about the call list!
    Karen

DVC Owners at SSR & BLT
    1994-Offsite Honeymoon
    2003-May ASM-1st Time for Kids
    2005-Feb AKL
    2006-May SSR
    2006-Aug OKW
    2007-May VWL
    2007-Aug SSR
    2008- May BWV
    2009- Aug Cruise (Wonder) & WDW
    2009 -Dec Last minute Christmas trip
    2010-May BLT

2011- Aug- DISNEY DREAM!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyWhirled View Post
    Apparently, there is VERY limited availablility for DVC members to use points to cruise THROUGH Sept 2011. It appears that they have lowered the DVC inventory on DCl.
    Which seems to coincide with the sporadic free dining offers through Sep 2011. I guess that Disney is thinking that if they have to do free dining several times over the next year, then why should they have someone trade in points for a DCL room and then have to wind up putting the DVC room on a free dining offer or a deep discount.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

I have one complaint about DVC and this is it! When you talk to all the representatives about DVC, all they say is how great it is to be able to book just about anywhere using the points for fabulous vacations....but they don't tell you that if you venture off WDW property, good luck getting a reservation. Heck, just getting something other than your home resort can be next to impossible. They say, "buy where you want to stay" and, we did. However, it is nice to change once in a while and after all, it's what they advertised you could do.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Gotta be honest ... I realize people rave about Disney cruises and I'm 100% certain that they're all that plus a bag of chips, but there is very little chance I'll ever blow that kind of money to cruise with them.

Their cruises tend to be about 40%-50% more expensive than other, comparable cruiselines and that added cost is near impossible to justify. We cruised Norwegian last year and I honestly can't imagine how Disney could improve on their amenities and services to the point that I'd be willing to pay double for it.

And as far as using points? Come on ... the point costs for cruises are absurd! 200 points per person for the worst room on the boat on a lousy five night cruise??? Are you serious?? You could stay in a 3 bedroom villa for a week in Disney World for that kinda dough!

Sorry ... won't do it. There's no one that does theme parks like Disney, so I'm willing to pay the premium for that experience but cruises? Uh no. No. WAY too many more appealing and affordable options to consider.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, Ian. We have cruised Disney and it was wonderful. We have also cruised Norweigan and it was also wonderful. Got a bag of chips on DCL, had to order a bowl of chips from room service on NCL. Lots of great activites for kids on DCL, we are 2 senior citizens whose baby turned 40 this year. Cost of DCL 4 night cruise was $200 more than the higher grade cabin 10 night NCL cruise. I can't see anyway we will be cruising with Disney ever again, let alone using my valuable points for one.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuckRocks View Post
    Lots of great activites for kids on DCL, we are 2 senior citizens whose baby turned 40 this year. Cost of DCL 4 night cruise was $200 more than the higher grade cabin 10 night NCL cruise. I can't see anyway we will be cruising with Disney ever again, let alone using my valuable points for one.
    I know the children's activities on DCL are supposed to be a big selling point, but for us it really isn't so much. When we're on vacation, 99% of the treat for us is that we're able to spend tons of time with my kids. We're not so keen on dropping them off at a kids' club or something and not seeing them for the rest of the day.

Not intended at all to be judgemental of those who do, mind you ... just our viewpoint.

When we cruised NCL we had, quite literally, the best cabin available on the ship ... a Garden Villa. It was huge ... 3 BR ... close to 2,000 sq. ft. Came with our own butler, concierge service, cabin steward, access to a suite-only restaurant, etc. This was a 7 night Mexican Riv cruise. Total price for 2 adults, 2 children? $4,900.

Now admittedly we got a great last minute deal on the room, but just to get a basic balcony room on DCL would have cost us almost three times that much.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: