Quantcast Questions about Birmingham, AL...help!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Questions about Birmingham, AL...help!

I'm hoping to hear from anyone living (or that has lived) in the Birmingham, AL area. There's a very good chance that my husband will take a job down there within the next year, and we've actually never visited the area, and know NOTHING about it. Any advice for potential homebuyers? Places to avoid? Really good places to eat? Pros & cons of living around Birmingham? Any info you can send my way would be GREATLY appreciated.

PS...DH sold me on the idea of moving when he said, "But honey, instead of being 16 hours from WDW, you'll only be about 8 hours away!"

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Went to high school in Birmingham, my wife was born and raised there, and my in-laws still live there. I actually live 45 min south of Birmingham on I-65 and come down all the time.

In general the areas you'll want to look at living will be in Shelby County (south of Birmingham), Trussville/Clay (NE part) or Gardendale (northern part). Do you know where the company your husband is looking at would be located? That would help me know better how to tell you.

Birmingham is a nice city. Nothing too exciting about it, but it gets the occasional cultural event and it's a friendly, southern city. Atlanta, Nashville, and Chattanooga are 2-3 hour drives and the beach is only 3-4 hours. You can get to the mountains or the beach in less than 4 hours. And WDW is about a 9 hour drive (or SWA flies out of BHM, which makes it cheap to fly to WDW). Dreamland BBQ is awesome and there are other nice places to eat. Of course, if you live here you immediately have to pick Alabama or Auburn. College football is a way of life 365 days a year down here and we don't allow folks to sit the fence on that one. (Here's a hint - pick Alabama). The only real cons are the traffic at rush hour and the fact that there's not a ton of stuff to do if you're big into cultural events. They do have a very nice zoo, an awesome children's museum, and some other smaller cultural activities, but, like I mentioned above, Atlanta and Nashville are only around 2 hours away so anything "big" you can catch there.

Feel free to PM me with specific questions. Having lived there a total of 12 years I know it pretty well, and what I don't, my wife does.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Of course, if you live here you immediately have to pick Alabama or Auburn. College football is a way of life 365 days a year down here and we don't allow folks to sit the fence on that one.
    Chris, you've got that wrong. College football is not a "way of life" in the South. It's more like a religion !

PS - Go, Gators!

Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Chris, you've got that wrong. College football is not a "way of life" in the South. It's more like a religion !
    You're 100% right about that, Ed. But we have to break these northern folks in slowly.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

I should also mention a con is that it's hot as h-e double hockey sticks during the summer (as of today we've had our 40th straight day above 90 degrees) and we don't really have winter. You might see an inch of snow every now and then, but it's usually all melted by early afternoon and most winter days are pretty pleasent. Occasionally we go throw a "cold" snap with highs in the 40s and 50s. So, that might be a con or a pro. If you love winter and snow, like I do, it stinks, but if you're tired of snow and never want to shovel snow again, you'll love Alabama. Basically, if you can survive July and August here you'll be okay. And, you're used to tornadoes, but hurricanes are an issue down here, too, but that's all pretty rare and we have the best weather folks in the business hands down in Birmingham. I've traveled all over the US and have never seen a better group.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up in Gardendale, a suburb that's about 10 minutes north of the actual city of Birmingham. If I was to move back to the area, I'd consider anything south of Birmingham - Hoover, Vestavia, Homewood, even Shelby County. Those cities are closer to malls and better shopping and have better schools (if you have kids). Gardendale is nice, but smallish, IMO.

I haven't lived in AL since 1996, but my parents and sister still live there. I'd be happy to answer any questions, but I'm sure Strmchsr has more up to date info about B'ham.

Oh, and WAR EAGLE. ; )
    1994 PO
    '96 GF (h'moon)
    '02 Cont. tower
    '03 WL
    '05 WL
    '06 GF, WL
    '07 ASMo
    '08 joined DVC: SSR, BWV
    '09 BCV, SSR
    '10 HHI, BCV/BWV
    '11 BLT
    '12 AKL, Dream
    '13 BCV, Fantasy, HHI
    '14 BCV, OKW, HHI
    '15 BCV, HHI, AKL
    '16 BLT, OKW, AKL, SSR, Fantasy
    '17 BLT, GF, AKL, BC
    '18 Wonder

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for all the responses! As far as football, well....we live just north of Columbus, Ohio now, so if you aren't a Buckeye fan, you just better leave town.

Having grown up in the north, we'd actually welcome a break from the extreme winter weather. And, my parents lived in Bradenton, FL for about 15 years, so the heat doesn't bother me at all...now my DH, well, he doesn't care for it too much, but that's why there's air conditioning.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of the company, so I'll have to get back to you on that. I'll send you a PM after I find out the exact name from my DH.

Thanks again for all the helpful info!!

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: