Quantcast Fantasyland Re-Think Update

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fantasyland Re-Think Update

From today's Orlando Sentinal. Not really anything we didn't already know, though it does sound like some of the cuts won't be quite as drastic. This finally gives some official confirmation to the rumors. I do notice in the midst of this he doesn't mention Pixie Hollow at all.

Disney is redrawing the sweeping Fantasyland expansion plans it laid out last year, even as bulldozers clear land for the project inside the Magic Kingdom.

With the revisions, begun under new Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs, designers are attempting to rebalance the plans, which initially tilted heavily towards young girls by emphasizing attractions and experiences built around Disney’s stable of animated-movie princesses.

“We took a hard look at it amongst a number of us and said, ‘Can we make the appeal broader? Can we make it even better?’ “ Staggs said during an interview this week with the Orlando Sentinel.

The Fantasyland expansion is a critically important project for Disney. The Magic Kingdom, the busiest theme park in the world, now draws more than 17 million visitors a year and needs added capacity to ease pressure on crowds inside the park. The project, billed as the largest expansion in Magic Kingdom history, also comes as Disney World faces heightened competition from Universal Orlando, where the new Wizarding World of Harry Potter has drawn rave reviews — and enormous crowds — since opening in June.

Staggs declined to discuss specific changes to the Fantasyland plans, saying Disney would unveil them “in due course.”

The original plans called for a lavish indoor ride based on the movie The Little Mermaid, a trio of interactive princess character-greeting areas, an elaborately themed Beauty and the Beast restaurant, an expanded Dumbo attraction for young children, and a vaguely defined fairies-themed area.

Staggs said much of what was included in the original plans will be incorporated into the final product and that the changes are “improving it on the margin.” He characterized the revisions as part of any creative project’s natural evolution. As an example, Disney cited Hong Kong Disneyland, where early blueprints included an area dubbed “Glacier Peak” that was eventually replaced with a section themed around the company’s Toy Story film franchise.

“Our process is always iterative and always goes through changes as it goes along,” said Staggs, who was the Walt Disney Co.’s chief financial officer when he switched places with parks-and-resorts chief Jay Rasulo at the start of this year. Staggs added: “I believe one of my most important jobs is to make sure that I’m enabling and challenging our creative process to create the best possible result.”

Disney first announced the Fantasyland expansion plans 11 months ago, with Rasulo personally unveiling them during a convention in Anaheim, Calif., for a company-sponsored, $75-a-year fan club. Staggs is now running the theme-park division and Rasulo is CFO following an executive shuffle orchestrated by Disney President and Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger.

The Fantasyland construction is well underway: Yellow backhoes and mountains of dirt are visible behind temporary construction walls erected inside the Magic Kingdom.

But rumors have been building for weeks that changes were afoot, fueled by reports from a pair of well-known Disney bloggers, Jim Hill of Jim Hill Media and Al Lutz of MiceAge.com.

Company followers say there have been two pivotal developments since the Fantasyland plans were first announced: Staggs was installed as head of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, and Universal opened the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Staggs, who has three young sons, is said to have expressed concerns that the initial plans for Fantasyland were too narrowly tailored to girls. The Wizarding World, meanwhile, has delivered impressive early returns for Universal Orlando since formally opening June 18.

The more than $200 million addition to Universal’s Islands of Adventure theme park powered the resort to a 2 percent attendance gain during the second quarter, its first quarterly increase in two years. Attendance at Disney World sank 2 percent during a similar period.

“I think Harry Potter helped” push Disney executives to revisit their approach with Fantasyland, said Lutz, of MiceAge.com. “I think it had an influence to say, ‘Hey, this is something that can be done on this level, and it’s not at a Disney property.’ “

Staggs said Wizarding World has not been a factor in Disney’s Fantasyland plans. “I don’t see evidence that somehow that has changed anyone’s direction or made them think differently,” he said.

But he said Disney is trying to broaden the project’s overall appeal. For instance, plans for three interactive princess meet-and-greets — where children could dance with Cinderella, celebrate Sleeping Beauty’s 16th birthday or play a role in a story with Belle of Beauty and the Beast — are being altered.

“One of the things that I thought the early design did fantastically was delivered on that princess experience. And that does tend to skew towards girls. … We’ve kept that intact — not exactly, necessarily, the way it was presented, but that appeal is there,” Staggs said. “I think we’ve added some things that aren’t just princess-focused, and that’s a good positive.”

Staggs said planners are also reviewing the Fantasyland expansion with an eye toward blending “aspirational rides” — rides that offer thrills or tension — with attractions designed for guests of all ages. And he said they want to ensure that the additions are flexible and can be updated or adapted over time.

The revisions are not expected to substantially alter the construction timetable; most of the Fantasyland additions are still scheduled to open in 2012 and 2013. Staggs said the project’s price tag will “not materially” change with the revisions, though a slight increase is likely because of certain additions. He would not provide specific figures.

Staggs said none of the changes should be interpreted as an indictment of the original Fantasyland expansion plans.

“We had a number of different people look at it and say, ‘Is it accomplishing what we want to from a guest experience standpoint? Is it accomplishing that in a way that is operationally great? Is it as broad as it can be in its appeal?’” he said. “The answer is, it largely did. But we thought we could continue to play with it and make it better.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update, Chris!

I may have two girls, and they've loved all the princess stuff, but I've also always agreed that there should be more geared for our princes out there, too. As well, my girls are getting older, and as they outgrow the "true" princess attractions, having some new ones that are more generically themed out there will give them stuff they can look forward to as they get older, too.

So, I say "yeah!" for the boys getting more into the rennovations, as well as some of the other changes they're alluding to.
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Are they still planning on a Beauty and the Beast restaurant? Any details on that? I would think it would be more of a "Be Our Guest" theme which would apply towards everyone.

If Disney just stuck with the MOVIES instead of the Princess Characters, both boys and girls could enjoy it, along with adults. Example: Belle Meet and Greet - mostly for little girls. Beauty and the Beast themed restaurant - the whole family could enjoy it!
    Two things You told me: That You are strong, and You love me.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I'm sure this is all corporate speak for, "It was too expensive so we're cutting out a bunch of pricey stuff and replacing it with cheaper stuff and our rationalization will be that we replaced "girl stuff" with "boy stuff."

Staggs is, after all, the former CFO.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It all goes back to the almighty dollar.

They have a TON of empty space IMO in the Fantasyland/Toon Town area and the potential to have a knock your socks off new and awesome fantasyland... and more stuff for boys. My friends with boys say, there's not a whole lot for them, and I have to agree on that.

Oh but wait...that's going to cost big money, and our profits aren't reflecting that we want to spend it, even though our competitors are pulling out all of the stops with new attractions to get people coming through the gates.
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Somewhere between the Netherworld and Walt Disney World
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BellesRose View Post
    Are they still planning on a Beauty and the Beast restaurant? Any details on that? I would think it would be more of a "Be Our Guest" theme which would apply towards everyone.

If Disney just stuck with the MOVIES instead of the Princess Characters, both boys and girls could enjoy it, along with adults. Example: Belle Meet and Greet - mostly for little girls. Beauty and the Beast themed restaurant - the whole family could enjoy it!
    Beauty and the Beast is still happening as planned.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'm sure this is all corporate speak for, "It was too expensive so we're cutting out a bunch of pricey stuff and replacing it with cheaper stuff and our rationalization will be that we replaced "girl stuff" with "boy stuff."

Quote Originally Posted by princessgirls View Post

They have a TON of empty space IMO in the Fantasyland/Toon Town area and the potential to have a knock your socks off new and awesome fantasyland... and more stuff for boys. My friends with boys say, there's not a whole lot for them, and I have to agree on that.

Oh but wait...that's going to cost big money, and our profits aren't reflecting that we want to spend it, even though our competitors are pulling out all of the stops with new attractions to get people coming through the gates.
    Julie
    You aren't reading everything from the Orlando Sentinal. Staggs has said the budget has been slightly increased, so don't read this as budget cuts and things done on cheap. Staggs will have this done right. He mentions Potter. Why? Cause Disney management is scared to the willies over the reception Universal is getting. Universal's attendance is up 2% in one quarter. WDW's down 2% the same timeframe. Think that didn't get their attention? Sure did!!!

I am liking Staggs so far. He will win over many Disney fans once the final FLE plans are announced. We will like what they are doing. Trust me.
    Let's stop defending mediocrity out of Disney and hold Disney to the higher standard they set up themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't think so Ian. I've heard from someone who knows a bit of what's going on that the original plans were seen as just too lame and that more had to be spent and created to give more of a wow factor when it opens. That meant more spent on attractions rather than princess greeting areas.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

My initial thoughts were also that they were "cheaping" out on us so I appreciate the clarification.

I was VERY excited to hear about WWoHP simply because I wanted to see Disney's answer to that phenomenon.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Don't think so Ian. I've heard from someone who knows a bit of what's going on that the original plans were seen as just too lame and that more had to be spent and created to give more of a wow factor when it opens. That meant more spent on attractions rather than princess greeting areas.
    Sweet! I really hope that's the case, because I'll say this ... while I was bowled over by the scope of the original plans I definitely got the feeling that the execution was ultimately going to feel haphazard and a built lacking.

Hopefully they've gotten that under control. Glad to hear it!
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

So, it's cheaper to entertain the boys than the girls?
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessgirls View Post

Julie
    Quote Originally Posted by GothMickey View Post
    You aren't reading everything from the Orlando Sentinal. Staggs has said the budget has been slightly increased, so don't read this as budget cuts and things done on cheap. Staggs will have this done right. He mentions Potter. Why? Cause Disney management is scared to the willies over the reception Universal is getting. Universal's attendance is up 2% in one quarter. WDW's down 2% the same timeframe. Think that didn't get their attention? Sure did!!!

I am liking Staggs so far. He will win over many Disney fans once the final FLE plans are announced. We will like what they are doing. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    My initial thoughts were also that they were "cheaping" out on us so I appreciate the clarification.

I was VERY excited to hear about WWoHP simply because I wanted to see Disney's answer to that phenomenon.
    Sweet! I really hope that's the case, because I'll say this ... while I was bowled over by the scope of the original plans I definitely got the feeling that the execution was ultimately going to feel haphazard and a built lacking.

Hopefully they've gotten that under control. Glad to hear it!
    Here is the part the Orlando Sentinel left out:

The revisions are not expected to substantially alter the construction timetable; most of the Fantasyland additions are still scheduled to open in 2012 and 2013. Staggs said the project’s price tag will “not materially” change with the revisions, though a slight increase is likely because of certain additions. He would not provide specific figures.
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I can confirm they took down the concept art mural for the Cinderella Cottage they had up in June. Not sure if this is any indication of the changes but I found it strange since the other 2 murals were still in place.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Always has been, always will be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Here is the part the Orlando Sentinel left out:

Yep, I knew that. Read it carefully. It's very fudgy with words like 'most' instead of all and statements about additions and not providing specific figures.

What was said behind the scenes that my source heard was along the lines of the plans just not being good enough and nowhere near enough wow factor and that it was going to be more than a princess greeting area. It's in the fudgy language.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Well, when I was kid it certainly was. Barbie had a whole city of accessories, GI Joe had an altenate uniform....

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Ha ha ha no, I mean, not inherently anyway.

What I was implying (wrongly, it would seem) was that they would take down a planned "girl" attraction that was slated to cost $x million and replace it with a "boy" attraction that cost $x - 20%.

Hopefully, the info we're hearing is correct, though, and they've actually expanded the scope of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Polynesian Dweller
    What was said behind the scenes that my source heard was along the lines of the plans just not being good enough and nowhere near enough wow factor and that it was going to be more than a princess greeting area.
    This is precisely why I was somewhat underwhelmed by the original plans. It sounded like nothing more than an excuse to add like 5 princess meet-n-greets and call them "attractions."

Lame.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad that they are revamping some of the plans...it's a work in progress. I bet the increase over at Universal and decrease in WDW has lead to some good changes in the plans.

Let's be honest... I LOVE Disney. I am Currently in a little "snit", because it looks like my 2011 trip is being derailed due to my sister's "Destination" wedding in Costa Rica. That will pretty much blow our entire vacation budget for the year, and it's not somewhere that I want to go...but it's all about my sister. I got that memo loud and clear from her on Sunday...LOL!
    I try every angle I can to get back...because deep down, I just LOVE being there.

Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    I can confirm they took down the concept art mural for the Cinderella Cottage they had up in June. Not sure if this is any indication of the changes but I found it strange since the other 2 murals were still in place.
    I haven't been to WDW in a while, but, my understanding is they never had Cinderella concept art on the construction walls. The only concept art on the walls were from Be Our Guest Restaurant, Beast's Castle, Belle's Cottage, and the Little Mermaid Area.

As an update, rumors flying around that a princess or two will be shown the door. Some franchises already represented, either in the park or in the current expansion, take your pick, will replace the lost princess cottages/meet and greets (Cinderella and Aurora), and a second franchise will be replacing Pixie Hollow.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope this is true and they don't leave out the boys!!!!
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: