Quantcast How far can Disney go and keep you coming back? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

I am curious where else people will go? Universal has also raised its prices. I understand that many are disappointed with the decline in service at WDW...but are places like Universal etc any better?
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We are DVC members and go once or twice a year. We are planning on buying APs this year and every other year going forward. We will spread the AP out over 2 years. (Like go in October this year, then Feb and Sept of next year. Then buy a new one for the following Oct/Sept and do it all over again.) Price may eventually be a factor in our vacations, but WDW is the only place we really go for longer than a weekend and we don't intend on that changing. We realize that the prices of everything are going up and like many companies (or most successful companies) they have to raise prices to keep up their current profits. It's just business.
    8/97, 6/00--Fort Wilderness Campground
    7/02--Disneyland
    6/04, 6/07--WDW Offsite
    12/05, 9/08(Honeymoon)--Pop Century
    2/09, 7/10--Saratoga Springs
    9/09, 9/10--Animal Kingdom Lodge
    9/09, 7/10--Old Key West
    10/10, 12/10--Hilton Head Island Resort

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBrooksC View Post
    Whine if you want, and I know anybody who calls profit-making "greed" will, but if you want anything close the fun experience you have come to expect, then prices will rise.
    As PopPhan stated also, if I felt like we were getting the same quality guest experience as before, I might accept the faster-than-inflation increases. Given the rate of the increases, I could accept equal quality, but would prefer higher quality. Instead, I feel like they're offering neither.

Do I think 1 day at a park in Walt Disney World is going to be 73% better in 2011 than it was in 2005? That's how much more they will be charging for that experience, and I cannot see how anyone can suggest it is that much better. The inflation-adjusted price (from 2005-2011) won't go much beyond $65, but it will be $82. What cost increases justify the change? Disney can charge whatever they want to, but I don't see how anything in their supply chain or labor overhead is 73% higher next year than it was in 2005. Please enlighten me.

People can be unhappy about price changes if they want to be. They don't need the permission of anyone else. Just like Disney can change their prices without our permission. Until Intercot decides that we can't post about it here, I expect people will continue to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marlyn View Post
    I am curious where else people will go? Universal has also raised its prices. I understand that many are disappointed with the decline in service at WDW...but are places like Universal etc any better?
    It will be interesting to see what happens when Legoland opens. They will be one more place competing for some time.

Post Thanks / Like

Argh. I wish I could edit that earlier post. The difference is actually approximately 37%, not 73%.

Do I think 1 day at a park in Walt Disney World is going to be 73% better in 2011 than it was in 2005?

Post Thanks / Like

Our family goes to WDW at least once a year, but we also travel to other places inbewteen our Disney trips. I can remember a time, not very long ago, saying "for what we spent on this other vacation we could have done a nice disney trip". I always told family and friends that thought they couldn't afford a disney trip that its much less expensive than you think, and for the same price of a long weekend in other places you could do a week at Disney in a value resort. Well I'm sad to say that those days are over. In planning and paying for other vacations I'm seeing more and more that disney's price has slowly crept away from the other places we've visited. And that in itself is OK, like other's have said its a business, they are there to make money. But for us its the decrease in so many things that doesn't justify the increase in price. We've found a decrease in almost all areas from merchanise selection to food choices and quality, CM friendliness to upkeep all over property. We still love it and think its a great place for our family to spend time together, but other places are beginning to look better to us lately. I don't think there will ever come a time when we say "that's it we are done with disney for good", but we may start spacing out our Disney vacations in exchange for other places.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I still love it. Though there have been some changes that disappoint, there have been some new great things that make me happy, too. I'm nowhere near disgruntled. I'll keep going to WDW.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I am curious where else people will go? Universal has also raised its prices.
    That's kind of how I look at things too. Close to where I live we have Moreys' Piers which are amusement parks piers at the Jersey Shore. They charge $48 per day for a two-pier pass, which gets unlimited rides on their attractions. And it isn't cheap to eat and stay there either.
    I think WDW is a better value.
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

We will continue to go once a year. It's a vacation that works well for us, since I've got older kids as well as preschoolers. I have to admit the the increasing ticket prices have changed the way that we do a Disney vacation. On our last trip, the tickets were more expensive than our villa. (We stayed offsite.) We used to enjoy staying onsite, but I really cannot justify the added expense, especially with the ticket prices increasing.
    80&89 Off-site, HONEYMOON 97 Port Orleans, '02 & '03 Offsite, '04 Poly Concierge, '05 Poly,'07 Contemporary, Feb. 08 GF, Dec. '08 Poly, May '10 Offsite, Mar.'11 FW Cabin,May '12 and July'12 Wyndham Bonnet Creek,July'13 Windsor Hills, March '14 AofA, Fourth of July '14 Poly,June 2015 SSR

Virginia - 775 miles/12hrs from the magic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RBrooksC View Post
    Why is it when a company raises its prices it is greed? It boils me to read that every time. Disney is a FOR-PROFIT company. Each year everything in their cost centers rise, that includes salaraies, and vendor costs. So, for Disney to make a profit and also pay their employees raises, cost of living and promotional raises, the money has to come from somewhere. Also, when food costs or other costs go up, to keep profits at the same level, what Disney charge has to rise. Couple that with their responsibility to share-holders, and you can see why their prices go up each year.

Whine if you want, and I know anybody who calls profit-making "greed" will, but if you want anything close the fun experience you have come to expect, then prices will rise.
    If the experience was at least at the same level as in recent years, I have already stated, as have others, that I would not mind the increase in price. Of course increases will be necessary to keep the status quo. But when the prices continue to increase while the benefits continue to decrease, for example, the MNSSHP/MVMCP. Every year the price goes up and a benefit also disappears. First it was a couple of the freebies. Then the complimentary picture. Now the extra few hours in the park and who knows if the experience will remain the same. If these things disappeared and the price stayed steady, it would not be as big a deal. But now the price is at least $20 more and the offerings are very slim. This is only one example. If you would read the entire thread and see what people are actually upset about, you would know that it isn't just whining that Disney wants to make a profit. Disney has wonderful things and it would be ashame if they couldn't make a profit. But, The Disney Company has a history of putting the guest and guest experiences first. Because of this, they have become the successful company they are. Now that the profit is coming first and the guest experiences second or even behind everything else, I won't be surprised if they begin to fall from their throne. Disney is on top because of their dedication to doing it right. When that is completely gone, there is NOTHING that separates them from any other theme park and thus, why travel so far to get there when there is a theme park in just about every state. A four hour drive within my own state sounds a lot better than 13 hours.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '00~Off Site :0(
    '95~ASSp
    Sept 1991~Honeymoon~Off Site

Post Thanks / Like

No. But if Disney doesn't keep above the rest, why not start exploring some of the other places since it won't be any worse. Kind of like I always shopped at Walmart for a better deal. Well, our Walmart's prices have gone up and the offerings have diminished. Therefore, instead of traveling 15 minutes NOT to get a better deal at Walmart, I will go 3 minutes down the road to Kroger. Some things are a little more there but the quality is better and I at least get points toward gas. It is all in what you "sell" your place to be. Disney has always been a cut above the rest. When they become mediocre like everyone else, there is no reason to choose it before the others. And, if I don't feel the value of staying on their property, what's to keep me from going to Universal, Sea World and Busch Gardens? They are losing their touch. Their need for immediate gain is going to hurt them in the long run.
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '95~ASSp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    Our family goes to WDW at least once a year, but we also travel to other places inbewteen our Disney trips. I can remember a time, not very long ago, saying "for what we spent on this other vacation we could have done a nice disney trip". I always told family and friends that thought they couldn't afford a disney trip that its much less expensive than you think, and for the same price of a long weekend in other places you could do a week at Disney in a value resort. Well I'm sad to say that those days are over. In planning and paying for other vacations I'm seeing more and more that disney's price has slowly crept away from the other places we've visited. And that in itself is OK, like other's have said its a business, they are there to make money. But for us its the decrease in so many things that doesn't justify the increase in price. We've found a decrease in almost all areas from merchanise selection to food choices and quality, CM friendliness to upkeep all over property. We still love it and think its a great place for our family to spend time together, but other places are beginning to look better to us lately. I don't think there will ever come a time when we say "that's it we are done with disney for good", but we may start spacing out our Disney vacations in exchange for other places.

And can Disney really afford for a majority of their steady yearly visitors to begin doing this?
    '09~Pop
    '08~Pop,CR
    '07~Pop,POR
    '06~WL,Pop
    '05~CSR, Pop, CBR
    '04~ASSp, ASMu, Pop
    '03~ASMo,POR,Poly
    '02~WL
    '01~ASMo
    '95~ASSp

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin Yee, who writes for another website, calls what's going on the Disney Parks "decline by degrees" - meaning little things disappear or are cheapened every few months. Of course, prices continue to either rise or stay the same while this happens. At first, only the most frequent visitor notices the differences, but eventually the changes add up and almost everyone notices.

In response to Disney's "decline by degrees" (thank you, Kevin), I have done the same myself. I will stay at a moderate hotel only if I can get a discount - otherwise, I will stay at a value. I have started making breakfast in the room, as the cost of breakfast in the food courts (plus having to deal with all the teenagers there for sporting events) has become more than I think is reasonable. I occasionally leave the grounds to have lunch and/or dinner as well. And, my souvenir buying is down as well, in response to the decline in quality of most of the items.

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey91 View Post
    It is all in what you "sell" your place to be. Disney has always been a cut above the rest. When they become mediocre like everyone else, there is no reason to choose it before the others. And, if I don't feel the value of staying on their property, what's to keep me from going to Universal, Sea World and Busch Gardens? They are losing their touch. Their need for immediate gain is going to hurt them in the long run.
    I can see your point here. Lets hope the powers to be at Disney can see it also!
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

I'm disappointed in all the increases...especially the dining plan...it keeps going up and cutting items off...I read a rumor that they will be cutting out the desserts next year. The fireworks buffet has gone up in price three or four time in what, three years...the refillable mugs were under ten dollars to start. TIW Used to be $25 now up to $75. And what's up with charging a premium for all buffets during the summer???? After our grand villa vacation in march I'm going to start evaluating new family vaca choices. I could've taken the family to Europe for what the eights days I'm paying in march is costing me.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

I go to WDW fairly often (either yearly or every other year). I go to Disneyland weekly. This pattern has been going on for the last 10 years or so.

I have yet to go on a trip to either resort and find anything to really, truly complain about. I always have a good time. I don't go with a negative attitude. I don't get caught up in all the articles online, the "opinions" of countless members of discussion boards, etc. I might read them, but I can't help but wonder what people are getting so worked up about most of the time. I mean, someone sees a broken lightbulb, and it turns into "Disney is going downhill."

I think reasonable expectations and a positive mindset can go a LONG way to having a much more enjoyable experience.

I go to Disney for what it does for ME and my family. I don't really care about all the trivial stuff. It's about time spent together as a family, and making happy memories.

For that, I will continue to support Disney by visiting their parks, costs be darned, until I can physically do so no more.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Inflation impacts everyone and everything. Don't forget that the WDW operating expenses go up every year as well. The price increase isn't really substantial, and with a multi-day pass it's really insignificant. When you take into consideration that you're spending thousands of dollars on a vacation already, an extra $50 for park tickets should barely even hit your radar. The price increase is probably less than 2% of your whole trip.

I'd just like to point out as well, that you're accusing Disney of being greedy, yet you're the one that's all wrapped around the axle about price and money. It's not okay for them to be concerned about paying the bills, but it IS okay for you?

And on another note... why not just start accumulating Disney stock? In that case, their gain is also yours, and it's a hedge against price increases, etc.

And on the "Disney is for rich people" issue.... Ever take a look at the map of where guests are from at the end of Space Ship Earth? There's a really close correlation between clusters of dots on that map and the highest median income areas in the country. I wouldn't say Disney is for the rich, but regularly visiting WDW is certainly for the above average. I'd say that's pretty much how most major vacation destinations go...
    Caribbean Beach August 1992
    Pop Century March 2008
    Beach Club April 2010
    Vero/BLT August 2011
    VWL July 2012

Next trip - Beach Club August 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I don't go with a negative attitude.
    Hah. I don't think I could have had a more positive attitude than I had at the beginning of my trip this past July. The positive attitude helped me deal with computer problems delaying us getting our KTTW and getting to the parks as intended. It kept me from writing down the names of every CM I heard dealing with other guests in a way that I had previously only associated with Six Flags.

I don't begrudge the computer problem, other than not realizing it was an inconvenience and offering the kind of Disney customer service they had in the past (still, I don't beg for "freebies", a place interested in top quality customer service doesn't have to be asked). The whole adversarial thing with a lot of CMs in the 4 parks was a stunner for me. It just seemed out of place in Disney parks based on previous experience. They were never about major issues either. Great customer service sometimes means biting your tongue. I know it can be a challenge, but a reputation for excellent customer service is built on that.

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I have to say that we have not experienced any declining quality at WDW. On our 2nd to last visit (3 years ago) we had more fantastic CM interactions then we'd ever had before and never saw anything amiss in the parks. On our last vacation (a year ago), the character interactions were incredible, like nothing we've ever experienced before, we had our first look at Pixie Hollow which was fabulous, again noticed nothing declining in the parks appearance or performance. And thinking back through all the meals of both trips, I can only think of 2 that I thought were poor (from the same place) - other than that our meals were great!

We're just not seeing this decline in service or park quality that everyone's talking about. In fact, each vacation there seems to be more amazing than the last.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    We're just not seeing this decline in service or park quality that everyone's talking about. In fact, each vacation there seems to be more amazing than the last.
    I wish I could say the same. I really do. Maybe we just got lucky with the first trips, or unlucky with the last ones. It never pleased us when we recognized things that were perceived to 'never happen at Disney.' They were shocks for that reason.

What you describe sounds like our first 4 or so family trips. I would've loved nothing more than for the trend to have continued on that path.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: