Quantcast Anybody try AMBIEN to help you sleep?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody try AMBIEN to help you sleep?

For a long time I can't seem to get a full nights sleep. Some nights I can take a while to fall asleep, wake up multiply times during the night, wake up early, ect. My mind can just seem to race when laying there. I do sleep at points during the night because I have dreams.

I have tried different things like no caffeine later in the day, take sleeping pills, go to bed same time each night but nothing works. So I was wondering about taking AMBIEN. For anyone who knows does it work and once you start taking it are you dependent on it to sleep? I need to go to my Dr. and see what he says.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never taken it, but my wife spent 13 days in the high-risk ward of Labor & Delivery trying to delay the birth of our DS after her water broke 8 weeks early. The doctor insisted that she take Ambien every night to make sure she got a good night's rest, they wanted to make sure her stress level was as low as possible. He said it was plenty safe enough for both her and the baby, so I doubt it can be too addictive. My wife said she slept okay (despite the constant traffic of nurses and doctors) and didn't feel hung over the next morning.

I also battle periods of insomnia where I cannot stop my mind from racing through random thoughts. I have been in such a phase the last few months, and I too have considered trying Ambien.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

I've taken it on occasion-it works! Be warned, I took one and should have gone straight to bed but I stayed up for awhile talking with my DD. The next day she told me all that I told her and oh my goodness!!! Lets just say I talked too much and didn't remember a thing. Now when I have to take one I give myself 15 minutes then I get in the bed-sleepy or not!
    "I'm so hungry! I sure hope those Princesses' can cook!" my DD before our breakfast at CRT

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a nurse and work steady nights. I have seen it cause a lot of perfectly normal patients to be come confused and disoriented. However, it also has helped a lot of people sleep. My mother takes it. Just be careful when first taking it to see how you react to it - and that's a precaution we all should take with any medication.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

Get the CR version (controlled release). The regular Ambien causes some crazy side effects ina lot of people.

I used Ambien CR a few times. It works, and it's not habit forming.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Melatonin us about as strong as I'd go for "sleeping pills". Works great! Might need to figure out the best dose...

Post Thanks / Like

I have a severe anxiety disorder and after a nighttime house fire a few years back I became truely insomniatic. I took Ambien for almost a year and a half. The worst thing I had happen was a lot of morning grogginess and not being able to wake up in the middle of the night ( someone tried to wake me up on New Years eve and again on my birthday but I could not be woken) however there were nights I never took it and when I stopped I had no side effects.
    Good Luck a good nights sleep can change your whole feeling, someone else mentioned meletonin and I have heard that works really well also if you are able to take it.
    DEC 2005 Pop Century
    Oct 2006 Old Key West
    Dec 2007 All Star Sports
    Sept 2008 Pop Century

February 2012 off property!

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the Melatonin, by the way! Our son with Autism uses it nightly to "quiet his mind" and fall asleep. He is usually out within 20-30 min. I have used it on occasion when I've been unable to settle down. It works VERY quickly and gently. No morning side effects either!

If you want to go that route, I suggest Natrol brand LIQUID Melatonin. It's more pure than the pill form, and it is absorbed faster in your body (so it works faster).
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest Valerian if you want to try a natural route. I have taken it a lot and it makes falling asleep nand staying asleep much easier, I have a very active brain that I cannot shut down at night as well as being a chronic worrier. Valerian has helped me a lot without any side effects and I feel great in the morning. But be warned it smells like STINKY FEET !! Just swallow fast LOL
    Disney Villas 1986/CR 1988/Dolphin 1992/POR-GF 1996/WL 1997/CBR 1999/WL 2001/BC 2003/POFQ-HHR 2004/BWV-VWL 2005/POLY 2006/ AKL 2006/YC 2007/Wonder-BCV 2008/WL-BLT 2009/POLY 2010/BWV-Dream 2011/CSR 2012/ YC 2013/YC 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T-Belle View Post
    I've taken it on occasion-it works! Be warned, I took one and should have gone straight to bed but I stayed up for awhile talking with my DD. The next day she told me all that I told her and oh my goodness!!! Lets just say I talked too much and didn't remember a thing. Now when I have to take one I give myself 15 minutes then I get in the bed-sleepy or not!
    I totally agree with this. One time I tried to stay awake after taking an Ambien and felt like I was halucinating. It really scared me and my hubby b/c I said some weird stuff. I stopped taking it for awhile, but then started taking it again on occasion.

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Melatonin us about as strong as I'd go for "sleeping pills". Works great! Might need to figure out the best dose...
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Ditto on the Melatonin, by the way! Our son with Autism uses it nightly to "quiet his mind" and fall asleep. He is usually out within 20-30 min. I have used it on occasion when I've been unable to settle down. It works VERY quickly and gently. No morning side effects either!

If you want to go that route, I suggest Natrol brand LIQUID Melatonin. It's more pure than the pill form, and it is absorbed faster in your body (so it works faster).
    I haven't had any luck taking Melatonin either but that liquid Melatonin sounds interesting never heard of that kind. Is it available most places like Walmart, Walgreen's, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpySue View Post
    I would suggest Valerian if you want to try a natural route. I have taken it a lot and it makes falling asleep and staying asleep much easier, I have a very active brain that I cannot shut down at night as well as being a chronic worrier. Valerian has helped me a lot without any side effects and I feel great in the morning. But be warned it smells like STINKY FEET !! Just swallow fast LOL
    Sounds interesting too, stinky feet part doesn't sound good. Where is Valerian found?
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

I buy the liquid melatonin at Whole Foods Market. It's hard to find in chain drugstores. You can also find it online pretty easily.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post

Nate has Autism, too. He has been taking Melatonin for about 3 years. Without it, he used to sleep about 4 hours per night.
    Fantastic product!
    James

Post Thanks / Like

Another trick to help you get to sleep is, take a hot bath right before bedtime. Don't linger until it cools, get out while it's still warm, This will raise your core body temp, then when you get into bed, the core temp will drop, making you sleepy. This works really well for DH, (who also doesn't pile lots of blankets on when he gets in bed)
    Kate

First visit: 1974 (off property)
    In between: 6 visits (off property), then:
    POR 2002
    CS - 2003
    AKL - 2005
    POR March 2006
    POR August 2006
    Upcoming: August 2010

Post Thanks / Like

I have had trouble sleeping for years. About a month ago I started taking Vitamin D 8,000mg per day because I have low d levels.
    Since taking it I have started sleeping better.
    One of the side effects of Low vitamin D is sleeplessness, elevated blood pressure, thyroid problems, aches and pains.
    Have your levels checked out, this could be a simple solution.
    Good luck with everything.
    Dolphin & POFQ 2010

POFQ 2008

ALL STAR MUSIC August 2007

POP August 2006

Coronado Springs 2005

DCL trip December 2005

WDW DOLPHIN July 2004

WDW DOLPHIN JUNE 2002

WDW DOLPHIN March 1998

WDW OFF PROPERTY March 1994

DL Honeymoon 1987

Post Thanks / Like

I also agree with getting into bed right away when you take Ambien.I did a little furniture dismantling and rearranging one night after using Ambien and have no memory of it.I woke DH up with all the banging around I was doing.He said I was acting really weird and got mad at him for not helping me carry a bookshelf into the basement.The next morning I found the mess I had made and it really scared me so I won't take it anymore.I do use melatonin on occassion and find it effective.In fact, I just took some now since I am replying to This post at 2 am!!!!
    Hșoș lly

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." - Walt Disney

WDW repeat guest since 1989!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ambien

I take it occasionally and find it works very well for me with almost no side effects and I don't feel groggy in the morning at all. But...I do find that if I take it one night and not the next night, I have an extra hard time sleeping-go figure.
    Janet, aka JanetMegan

Scrapbooking-There is a fine line between a mental illness and a hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the generic form of Tylenol PM and find that it works great. I take 1 before bedtime. 2 tends to be too strong for me. If I take 1, I sleep well and have no trouble getting up in the morning. If I take 2, then I had better be able to sleep in because I will be very groggy the next morning.

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy Valerian at any drug or health food store. I bought the Solgar brand and I think it is 500 milligrams. It is really great for helping me sleep without any side effects. I highly recommend it.

I am going to look into the Vitamin D deficiency though, that is interesting. I have been hearing a lot about that lately.
    Disney Villas 1986/CR 1988/Dolphin 1992/POR-GF 1996/WL 1997/CBR 1999/WL 2001/BC 2003/POFQ-HHR 2004/BWV-VWL 2005/POLY 2006/ AKL 2006/YC 2007/Wonder-BCV 2008/WL-BLT 2009/POLY 2010/BWV-Dream 2011/CSR 2012/ YC 2013/YC 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I usually use Nyquil because Melatonin didn't work for me very well. I'll have to find and try the liquid kind or try the Valerian.
    șoșKathyșoș TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: