Quantcast This just in: The Magic Kingdom is boring - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually just had a similar experience with one of my friends. He's 23 and went to WDW for the first time and only spent one day there. They went to Epcot for the day and his reaction was that 'it's for 10-year olds'.

I used to be one of those folks that thought WDW was for little kids and wasn't all that exciting, too. Then I went twice and became a DVC owner

MK in particular I think has some issues winning over non-Disney folks. It's still not my favorite park by far, although I do enjoy it. There really is a lot there that's very "Itchy and Scratchy Land" in MK, and if you don't have an appreciation for it, it comes off as pretty lame. If you don't feel the magic, and you don't have an appreciation for everything that goes into the place, what is there for you at MK?

Let's be objective of a moment here. If you strip off the theme of these rides they're not extraordinary. They may have been state-of-the-art when they were made, but many of these rides now have some seriously outdated technology. Big Thunder and Space Mountain are awesome rides, but if you ignore the ambiance, they're pretty mediocre roller coasters. If you go to pretty much another other amusement park you'll go higher and faster - but you won't be riding through the dark in a space ship! If your expectation of a roller coaster is a 200ft drop at 80mph and inversions, Space Mountain just isn't all that impressive.

The 'dark rides' are in no way technologically advanced and tell stories that a lot of kids haven't really been introduced to in the same way that the rest of us have. If you didn't grow up watching Pooh on TV, is that ride all that much fun, or impressive in any way? If you don't have an appreciation for the Carousel of Progress (what it was when it was released, what the history of it means, etc) - it's it just an obsolete ride with an annoying song?

MK walks a tough tightrope as far as attractions go. It immerses you in a world of fantasy conceived almost 50 years ago. There's a need to stay true to the original vision and maintain the classics that the current fans love while making the park appeal to upcoming generations. It's a hard balance to maintain for sure.
    Caribbean Beach August 1992
    Pop Century March 2008
    Beach Club April 2010
    Vero/BLT August 2011
    VWL July 2012

Next trip - Beach Club August 2013

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

For my 3 children, my DD in particular, Magic Kingdom means just that-Magic! All of us Disney-nuts know what that is-even if we have a hard time describing it to non disney people. Tho their young adults now the Magic Kingdom has always been a first day and last day must. My 2 ds are gamers and avid thrill ride seekers yet still appreciated the detail and amazement of the annimatronics(sp) and the attention to detail. So, I agree with the posters that it's probably the ages of these children.
    "I'm so hungry! I sure hope those Princesses' can cook!" my DD before our breakfast at CRT

Post Thanks / Like

I just wanted to add that I'm 14 years old, and I personally do not find the Magic Kingdom boring. I love it!!!! Maybe it's because I've been going to WDW since I was a little girl, but personally I can only think of one ride I have ever thought was boring (Hall of Presidents). But maybe that's just me...
    I love Disney!!!

next trip: Spring break BW Villas

hakuna matata! :)

Post Thanks / Like

Magic Kingdom has always been our favorite including myself, my wife, 15 yo son, 9 yo son and especially 8 yo daughter. Our 8 yo daughter has the magic in her and is also a planner. She wants to know every detail of the trip and helps with the itinerary (I am a planner also). Some people just don't get and don't have that magic in them. My cousin always goes to Universal because he says WDW doesn't have enough roller coasters and he doesn't want to sit and watch shows or kid rides...he just doesn't get it.

Post Thanks / Like

What a fantastic post!! And great replies too. I am 43 years young and have been to WDW quite a few times over the years, first time as a child with my Mother and Father in the early 70's. Maybe that is what did it. Grabbing on to some of my youth. I don't know for sure, but I'll tell you this I feel the same way now when I get there as I did when I was much younger. The Magic never dies or gets bored for me. I took my wife there for her 1st visit almost 4 years ago when she was 29, and she loved it. I will remember the smile on her face as she stood by the horse that pulled the trolley down main street when I got a picture of her. Things are different today, alot of the things nowadays are faster, and more high tech. Things change. But hey, Magic Kingdom it's fine with me if you stay the same! If I want fast and high tech, I can take a day out of my 8 day WDW vacation and go elsewhere, but I know I'll stay where my heart will play.

Post Thanks / Like

When posts and polls are put on the board asking which park is the favorite - almost overwhelming the choice is MK. I doubt that many poll takers or posters could be that out of touch with the real world. I have been several times and as tradition I have to go to MK on my first day in the World. It is that walk down mainstreet and the parades and seeing the castle and the families having their pictures taken together. There is nothing like the magic of that initial walk that could ever change for me. I think these were abnormal kids that probably just don't understand what it is all about. Also, they went during peak season when they probably had to wait in long hot lines to do a 2 1/2 min ride. Maybe they weren't used to that. It's sad that some kids can't enjoy a kid's paradise.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymom4ever View Post
    My boys absolutely love the MK, and they are 14 and 17! Then again, they grew up going there, so maybe that could have something to do with it. Perhaps first time kids might not appreciate it as much-just looking for thrills. We have so many wonderful memories from that park!
    My thoughts exactly. My boys are 8 and 10 and they love MK. They love all the parks and the 8 year old is a thrill ride junkie, but he still loves and appreciates everything at MK. I do think them growing up going there has a lot to do with it. My kids know what "classic Disney" is all about and they enjoy that part of WDW as much as they enjoy the new more thrilling rides.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boring?

Kids these days just dont appreciate having simple and innocent fun. I love MK...just walking down Main St, it feels so amazing. My DH and I saw many kids walking around with thier arms folded and angry....My famiy stopped taking family vacations when we were 14, I would have loved to have gone to Disney...but never did till I was 31. Looking back I cant imagine myself being angry and miserable on a vacation.
    POR April/May 2007
    POR April/May 2008
    POP April/May 2009
    POR April/May 2010!!!!!!
    POR Feb/March 2011!
    POP May 2011!!!!!!!!
    POP DEC 2012
    OFF Property May 2013
    POP NOV 2013
    CSR JAN-FEB 2014 (they upgraded us from POP)
    POP MAY 14
    I love my Pens!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneymom2000 View Post
    When posts and polls are put on the board asking which park is the favorite - almost overwhelming the choice is MK.
    I'll take this point miles further and try to put this to rest. The MK is EVERY YEAR the most attended theme park on earth. Thank goodness there are people who don't like it... imagine how much more crowded it would be if everybody liked it.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree with those kids!

We still take our DD14 and she loves MK. As she calls it, it is the original WDW park! She loves to spend the most time in MK and Epcot. She loves rides, but values the history and imagination in seeing other things as well. We never miss the classics!

Where else in the world can you go and forget your daily problems and become a kid again?? Even my DD who texts constantly, forgets her teen issues and lets her hair down and enjoys herself immensly. Of course, she is also not a kid who sits in front of a tv playing video games 24/7 either. I think that has a ton to do with todays kids. They need to get out and explore and enjoy life!

Just my opinion!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    º0º Monica º0º

Resorts visited to date: *CR * ASSp * CBR * Poly * POFQ * AKL * POR *

Most recent trip: Aug '08 - Disney Cruise Line and Poly!!

Year off and then Off-Site Timeshare and WL July 2010!

"It all started with a mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

i love magic kingdom. but i do see how people would think that. in the days of computers, and modern technology, watching the peter pan ride or small world may not be the most exciting thing in the world.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

British Columbia, Canada (3408 miles from WDW!)
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel really fortunate to have boys with as much love for Disney as I do. They are now 15 and we were just at WDW in March. I decided, upon their urging, to book another trip for August. They can't wait to get back. I asked them if they wanted to take a couple days to go to Universal or Seaworld as well since we were just at WDW....both boys said NO WAY! They love all aspects of the parks. They don't seem to be jaded as many teens are and iIam grateful for that. I actually credit Disney for giving them that.
    ~Lynne~

On deck, you scabrous dogs! Man the braces! Let down and haul to run free. Now...bring me that horizon

DCL 2008 Mexico, 2011 Alaska, 2013 Caribbean
    WDW 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
    Disneyland 2015, 2004,1993,1992, 1991,1973

Post Thanks / Like

My 8 yo (and 6 and 4 yo too) love MK! Haunted Mansion is there favorite with Pirates as a close second. They love the coasters and can't wait to ride the new Space Mountain, but love Country Bears and Tiki's too. I think the get it because they have been going since they were infants. This month will be my DS8's 9th trip to Disney. They definitely "get it".
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."

Post Thanks / Like

I think that if you are not brought up on Disney, introducing two teenagers, or tweens in this case, to the Magic Kindgom for the first time will probably result in a lame reaction to it. They quite honestly are too full of themselves to see past the nose on their faces or look beyond the exterior to see the real magic in something.

We just returned from our....7th or 8th trip and DS is now 14 and DD 17. We stayed for a week as usual and I believe we went to MK at least a half of dozen times. They were brought up on Disney and I'm happy to say riding Pooh and Peter Pan with DS was almost as magical as when we was 2 1/2. He refused, however to have his pic. taken with Pooh and Tigger because he was way too cool. Tigger fixed this. He saught DS out in a shop in Epcot where the Pooh and Tigger were meeting and I think if DS did i not throw his hands up in the air and say OK Tigger, you win...Tigger would have thrown him over his shoulder and carried him to Pooh! Afterwards, DD thanked me for "making us" taking pics w/ Pooh and Tigger.

Have a Magical Day.
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

While I love MK...it certainly is lacking thrills. Big Thunder & Splash Mtn aren't quite as thrilling as they were 20+ years ago. Disney missed their opprotunity to infuse some thrills into Space Mountain when they failed to update it during it's last rehab. Not much other areas where thrills can be inserted into the park.
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Post Thanks / Like

i was able to go to disney when i was 8 years old and we were only there for one day. magic kingdom was the park we went to, and i fell in love with disney! now my husband and i have two kids, age 9 and 14, and we've been going to disney since the oldest was 4. they love test track, soarin, and expedition everest a lot. but their favorite park by far is magic kingdom. even the 14 year old loves its a small world and our 9 year old enjoys carousel of progress. in my eyes, they are true disney fans because they enjoy the classics!

Post Thanks / Like

You cant judge it by age. Disney is really just a big art installation, and thos who are there for a theme park experience, wont have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by everyonesmadhere View Post
    You cant judge it by age. Disney is really just a big art installation, and thos who are there for a theme park experience, wont have fun.
    Actually, those who are there for a typical unimaginative, freak you out, lose your lunch amusement park experience may not have fun. The "art installation is the theme park experience. The art is the themeing, something Walt Disney created....
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not, there are people who are not "thrill" junkies...me being one of them. I live within 3 hours of Cedar Point and it's a waste of money for me to go. Why do I want to drive that far and spend a bunch of money and not be able to ride most of the rides? I won't spend the money to do Universal either because for me, I spend the whole day by myself waiting on everyone else to ride rides. From the time I was a kid, I've never liked big thrill rides...and I still don't. WDW is one of the very few places/parks where I can go and do 95% of the attractions. Yet my DH is a thrill junkie and loves MK & WDW as much as I do.

As others have said, I think it's more about your frame of mind than these kids speaking for a generation. My DD17 didn't get her first trip to WDW until she was 10...she loved it then, and loves it even more now. For the first couple of visits, she wasn't into the rides/coasters. But when she hit 13, she started riding the coasters. They were a great introduction for her, and she still loves them.

On a side note, my DH & I went to WDW in May of this year for an "adults only" vacation. We spent 11 days, and most of that time was at MK and Epcot. Those parks feel truly "Disney" to us, and that's what we want. I will personally never be too grown up for MK....and neither will my DH.
    Last edited by Tygger7; 07-09-2010 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Can't spell this early in the morning....

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    Can the Magic Kingdom really impress kids aged 10-16? Or is it boring?
    Frankly, the MK is our least favorite park, and our kids are 10 and 16. We LOVE Disney World, but spend the least amount of our time at the MK. Jungle Cruise, Country Bears, Indy Speedway, and much of FantasyLand are simply outdated. It may be nostalgia for a 40 year old, but today's kids know the difference between something new and something outdated.

We feel that Epcot and the AK are much more to our liking, and we spend most of our time at those two parks. That makes us happy, and keeps us coming back.

I recommend to all of my friends who are making their first visit to avoid the temptation to spend all of your time at the MK. It's a great big (Disney) World out there, and you need to see more than just FantasyLand.

April, 1998 Coronado Springs
    April, 2001 Coronado Springs
    January, 2004 All-Star Sports
    July, 2005 Caribbean Beach Resort
    April, 2006 Pop Century
    December, 2006 All-Star Sports
    March, 2008 All-Star Movies
    April, 2009 All-Star Music
    August, 2010 Disney's Swan Resort

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: