Quantcast This just in: The Magic Kingdom is boring - Page 11

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    We spend the least amount of time at MK on all our trips, we'll usually end up spending like 2 1/2 days on a two week vacation.

Definitely our least favorite, most hated park.
    I can see why your location is At the Edge of Reason. That's just UNREASONABLE.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ali'sdad2003 View Post
    I can understand that taking kids for the 1st time at that age would result in that kind of response. I think, if you start taking the kids when they are younger, that the rides are not just entertainment but they become special because of the memories that go along with them. If you are looking for "Great America" type of rides, Disney is not the best place to go. You either understand the "Magic" or you don't. The "Magic" is why I keep going back. I imagine others feel the say way. The thrill rides are great but I would not miss any of the classics for anything.
    I COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It seems to me that I'm seeing a pattern here, the kids that are raised on WDW still love the magic as teens and older! We took DS's for their first time when they were 4 & 6, now after 6 trips, they still love it!

After visiting 3 years in a row, we started getting the question, "do we have to do this?"! At that point we started alternating years of WDW & beach vacations. This was supposed to be a beach year, until both DS's, 13 & 15, each said seperately, at different times, that they wished we were going to WDW this year! They said they missed it! So guess what, we arrive 3 weeks from tomorrow! Woo Hoo

We begin & end each trip with the MK! Epcot is favored park of myself & DH, both DS's fav's is DHS, with AK being our least favorite! But we still LOVE everything in MK with the exception of Astro Orbiters & Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse!

I firmly believe that WDW isn't for everyone, there are Disney people and there are muggles!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the 10-16 age demographic, and I LOVE WDW. I'd go every year if I could. My mom got me into Intercot, and I'm now obsessed over Disney even more! Sounds like this family has been to Universal prior to the trip to Disney. Disney is the farthest thing from boring, especially MK. I've been going since I was tiny, and I'm so glad my family returns every 1-2 years. My brother, who is also a year younger than me, loves Disney. I don't think that Disney is unattractive to kids my age, it's quite fun. I recommend it to everyone.
    2002 ASMo
    2004 Pop
    2005 Pop
    2006 Pop
    2008 Pop
    2010 Pop
    2011 Pop
    2013 Off Property

Post Thanks / Like

I want to chime in.

MK, I would say, is my 3rd favorite park. As much as I enjoy the nostalgia of the park, a majority of it seems outdated, to me.

I think I would have a different appreciation for it if I were older. I am 25 years old. I have had the privilege of growing up in a culture where technology (and the expansion of it) has gone into hyperdrive.

The downfall of this is that I have been raised seeing effects grow from animatronics on Jurassic Park to the visual glory of Avatar.

When I go on rides like Jungle Cruise or Splash Mountain, I am humbled by the impressiveness of the technology from the day those rides opened. But I can't enjoy it for much more than that. I don't think this means I have a bad imagination, I just think it means that my imagination hasn't had to work hard. Ever. And I expect more. And to some degree, I expect consistency. It is hard to go on an attraction like Philharmagic or Monsters Inc and then enjoy Pirates of the Caribbean on the same level.

I am in no way trying to badmouth older attractions, and really do highly appreciate them for their connections to Walt Disney. But I can't expect everyone my age or younger to have the same appreciation.
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

The Fantasyland expansion does not seem like it will help the issue of the Magic Kingdom's lack of "exciting" attractions for the pre-teen and teenager set. With the new Ariel attraction, they had an opportunity to make a ride that offered a bit more than a version of Snow White and Pooh in a clam shell. I would have hoped they would have brought back some 20,000 leagues creativity.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 13 year old boy and a 16 year old girl. We have been several times, but the last time being 2009. When we asked the kids what they wanted to do for vacation this year, thinking they would say the beach or an island...they both want to go back to WDW. They both LOVE the MK and it is probably our favorite park. I guess it just depends on how the kids have grown up and been taught to use their imaginations!!
    All Star Sports 1998
    Port Orleans Riverside 2002
    Pop Century 2007, 2008 & 2009
    Art of Animation Lion King Suite December 2012

Post Thanks / Like

DD 13 and DS 11. We usually start our trip in the Magic Kingdom, but this time when we go we will be starting in Hollywood Studios because of Star Wars Weekends. My children are actually upset we are not going to MK first. But we can't do Star Wars WEEKENDS during the week, obviously.

1992 Grand Floridian
    1997 Carribean Beach
    1999 Boardwalk Inn, Disney Magic Cruise
    2002 All Star Movies
    2004 Pop Century
    2005 French Quarter
    2006 Pop Century
    2007 All Star Music
    2008 Beach Club
    2010 All Star Sports
    May, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Eyah . . .Muggles . . .

On our last trip, we were with a large group, mostly first timers.

Our day at MK, we get to the park at 10am and by 12:30pm my SIL takes her kids(nephew 6 & niece 4) back to the room because, and I quote, "THERE IS NOTHING FOR THE KIDS TO DO HERE"!!!

Are you kidding me?!?!?!? NEVER again . . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Default Passholders

We are locals and Annual passholders to WDW and Universal, and we always will be. The MK is boring but I love it. I know it's not fair to compare Universal to WDW but I do every time I visit. It appears to my family that Universal has heard the WDW complaints and is offering the solution. They are building bigger, better, more exciting, more relevant attractions that will attract everyone from teen to adult. They have a small section of IOA for the little ones, but that's clearly not their target audience. They have Harry Potter and people love it! Meanwhile, Disney is focusing all of their resources on Fantasyland. Fantasyland is going to be incredible, but it is for the really young children. WDW is always busy and the MK is always the busiest so I don't think WDW is too worried but many, many companies have lost business or closed in America because they rested on their past succceses and did not change with what the consumer wanted. It used to be that everyone came to Florida and just went to WDW. Then they came and went to WDW and also visited Universal for a day. How long until they come primarily to visit Universal and go to WDW for just a day or two? I don't think it's out of the question.
    Annual Passholders for:

Walt Disney World
    Univeral Orlando
    Sea World
    Busch Gardens

Nothing beats living in Central Florida!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronandjulie View Post
    We are locals and Annual passholders to WDW and Universal, and we always will be. The MK is boring but I love it. I know it's not fair to compare Universal to WDW but I do every time I visit. It appears to my family that Universal has heard the WDW complaints and is offering the solution. They are building bigger, better, more exciting, more relevant attractions that will attract everyone from teen to adult. They have a small section of IOA for the little ones, but that's clearly not their target audience. They have Harry Potter and people love it! Meanwhile, Disney is focusing all of their resources on Fantasyland. Fantasyland is going to be incredible, but it is for the really young children. WDW is always busy and the MK is always the busiest so I don't think WDW is too worried but many, many companies have lost business or closed in America because they rested on their past succceses and did not change with what the consumer wanted. It used to be that everyone came to Florida and just went to WDW. Then they came and went to WDW and also visited Universal for a day. How long until they come primarily to visit Universal and go to WDW for just a day or two? I don't think it's out of the question.

I'll freely admit that it's been years since I've been to Universal nor am I all that familiar with booking a trip through them.

But speaking as someone who stays on property at WDW, WDW makes it very hard to leave their property. Typically if I go to Orlando I'm going to WDW for at least 4 days, a day at each park. I've thought about doing Universal on the remaining days, but do I spend the extra money to go to Universal, or do I pay just a few dollars more to stay at WDW?

The price difference between days at WDW really drops off afer 4-5 days. For example, with park hopper it only cost $7 more for an 8th day in a WDW park vs a 7th day.

I'd love to go to Universal,I just have a hard time justifying spending the extra money to go sometimes.

I've recently started reading the Harry Potter books (yeah i know, I'm years behind), but this very well could be the thing that pushes me over the edge to visit Universal. We'll see though.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

I think its a generational thing. Every year I tell friends I'm going to Disney, their usual first quip is "What are you like 10 years old?" Like most, I live a stress filled life. The "magic" of WDW in general and of the Magic Kingdom in particular is its instant ability to make you feel "10" years old again. This is no fluke. Its was the main intent of Mr. Disney himself, and the many Imagineers who followed this basic tenet after he passed. That's the magic folks. Don't fight it, embrace it. Many young people can't understand this just yet. Let life come to them and they'll understand. I can almost guarantee that.
    2004 - Offsite
    2011 - Old Key West

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian McFan View Post
    That's the magic folks. Don't fight it, embrace it. Many young people can't understand this just yet.
    I think it's because society tries to grow our kids up too quickly. Maybe some kids look at their parents and think they have to grow up like them... either way it's sad. My girls know I am just a big kid at heart and they couldn't be happier at Magic Kingdom Maybe they cue in on my excitement, wonderment and overall awe everytime I step onto Mainstreet...

My eleven year old can't wait to get to MK... I take pride in that

-Dave
    • 1971- Inaugural visit!
    • 1984-Family Spring Break
    • 1989-EPCOT only
    • Disney Break!1990-94
    • 1996-Brother Trip
    • 1999-DF's first trip
    • 2000-Proposal to DF
    • 2001x3-Married/Wedding Pavillion
    • 2002-X2, Me&DW/Me&DB
    • 2003- Boy's trip
    • 2004-Me+Mom&Dad
    • 2005-Mom &Me
    • 2006x2-Daughter's first trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I can't believe I have missed this thread!

Very interesting discussion, I enjoyed reading all the comments. And love the OP's description in her post, I couldn't agree more.

This topic brought me to a situation that happened at Test Track when we were there in January. We were behind a father with two sons, aged about 9 and 10, he turned to the sons in line and said "Okay, after this we are going to Magic Kingdom" and the kids started whinning "Dad, do we have to, I don't like that park!" the father said "You're going, and you're going to like it" which made me and DBF bust out laughing of course, and the father looked at us and said "They have been whinning the whole time about how there are no 'good rides'" while rolling his eyes, so he turns to them and says "And if you whine about it anymore we are going to sit in the Presidents show ALL DAY!" DBF looked at the kids and said "Be careful around here, you might actually learn something" and the father said "EXACTLY!!" so needless to say we had fun going back and forth with them throughout the line and in our car, they were with us.

This thread literally brought me back to that moment and me thinking to myself, how can these children not appreciate the magic and the value? How can they ONLY care about thrill rides. I don't get it, but I also don't have children and I am of the "old school" mentality with life, like what we have no to what we didn't have then. So, basically, is it because the children of this generation just have too much of the best? And cannot appreciate the "wow's of the past"? I personally think so.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

As I have said on this thread before, my daughter is now 22 and the Magic Kingdom has always been her favorite park. Maybe it's because I explained what movies certain attractions came from, or what was going on in the world when something was designed (although I'm now a school counselor, I taught history for quite a while), but I don't really think so. I think its just because it suites her temperament better than thrill ride filled parks. So maybe that's the key. Different strokes for different folks!
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tink#64 View Post
    I firmly believe that WDW isn't for everyone, there are Disney people and there are muggles!

I can't believe this thread is still going!
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a 33 year old male and I still love MK. I loved it as a kid and even a teenager. Now, as an adult with my own wife and son, I walk into MK and leave the "real world" behind. I enjoy watching my son having the time of his life. Maybe I'm just nostalgic for my memories from my childhood in MK.
    *1993-CBR
    *1995-Dixie Landings
    *1999-2002 OKW (3 times)
    *2003-BCV(got engaged)
    *2005-Poly Concierge(honeymoon)
    *2007-AllStar Music(expecting 1st child)
    *2008- OKW (w/1st child)
    *2012-AKL villas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tink#64 View Post
    So NOT true. I grew up Disney. I Love WDW. I always will. The MK will always be Magical to me and my family. We go to the MK at least 3-4 times a month and it never loses it's magic. That being said, we absolutely love Universal. It is an amazing place. faster pace, more energetic, way way way less strollers . The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is, in my opinion, the best themed area of ANY theme park I've ever been in. My family is proof that you can truly love both places for different reasons. When we want to have a magical fun filled day, we go to WDW. When we want a fast paced exciting day, we go to Universal. We are true to each place. We never wear Universal swag at WDW and we never wear WDW gear at Universal. We are purists! lol.
    Annual Passholders for:

Walt Disney World
    Univeral Orlando
    Sea World
    Busch Gardens

Nothing beats living in Central Florida!

Post Thanks / Like

No such thing as boring, just boring people.....

Perhaps in today's day and age, with all the devices (myself and my DD/7 included) MK might seem boring but true believers know that it's not about the biggest thrill or most violent, action packed attraction but it is about the themeing (read: imagination when you go to a Disney park). You can go to Universal, SeaWorld, Six Flags or Great Escape and you will never get the same type of themeing that is provided at Disney.

Perhaps senses are dulled due to the devices? Many people aren't even lucky enough to go to WDW once so I suggest anyone that gets to go at all is grateful.

For my part, at 45 years old, the minute I walk through the gate of MK and see the Castle looming down main street, I get goosebumps and well up. Young at heart and I am teaching my daughter to appreciate the same.
    Or do you still wait for me dream giver? Just around the river bend....

Poly 2x a year from Oct 95' - Apr. 04', N/05', M/10.
    Boardwalk: J/05', M/05', O/06', A/07', O/07, M/08, 1O/08, 5/11
    Y&B: N/09'
    Special events: Poly/Oct 94'/Honeymoon; Poly/Jan 00'/Millenium; Poly/Nov 05'/Vow Renewal.

Post Thanks / Like

Default This NOT Just in: This thread is boring

Why are we discussing this? - and I realize I'm 'bumping' this thread by replying.

What do you tell a kid who complains about being board? "Go find a box and fill it with things from your room to donate to the Salvation Army"?

I can't think of ANYONE more boring in the universe than someone who complains about the Magic Kingdom being boring! Can't we just tell these schlubs, "Then go someplace else. Please. Immediatly." "What? Me convince you that the Magic Kingdom isn't boring? No thanks! I would find that to be very boring."

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: