Quantcast January or mid August?? WWYD?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: January of mid August??

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • January

27 87.10%
  • August

4 12.90%
    Post Thanks / Like

Default January or mid August?? WWYD?

January or mid August?? Which would u pick?
    Disney

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never been either time. But I chose January because it would be cooler and less crowded. Mid Aug just seems like it would still be very hot and possible still quite busy with late summer vacations for families with kids started back late. Also, isn't Jan when historically Disney has done the buy 4 get 2 free nights (or something like that)?
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

I chose January because the crowds will definitely be lower, plus there is a chance the weather will be perfect (not too chilly). It may be a little busy around Martin Luther King, Jr. day, though..

Post Thanks / Like

That's tough. I used to say January hands down, but January has become very popular with South American group (especally from Brazil) as January is their summer vacation. So, January is light on American tourists, but the crowds have become larger and larger due to the South American crowds, so I would say mid-August is now only slightly more crowded, but not by much.

Also, the weather is a toss up. August is hot and peak hurricane season, but when I arrived in January 2010 it was 32 degrees with snow flurries at 1 in the afternoon. Needless to say, walking around WDW in freezing weather isn't much better than really hot weather.

So, there are pluses and minuses to both. I'd say go when it best fits your schedule or if you prefer hot/cold weather go based on which one you prefer.

One BIG thing to keep in mind during January - WDW often does several refurbs during January. This past year while we were there Splash Mtn, Test Track, Crystal Palace, Indy Stunt Show, Prime Time Cafe, and a couple of other things were all closed. That's just part of visiting in January that you get used to.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Neither is ideal but I selected January. As Chris noted, January can be quite cold. Our January trips have generally featured minimal crowds and I've not experienced large tour groups at that time of year - perhaps I just missed them?

Mid-August still has quite a lot of the summer crowds (we were there at this time last year) and is also very hot and humid. Personally, I prefer late August into early September though, as Chris noted, it's possible, though statistically unlikely that one would hit during your specific week, you could run into a hurricane at this time of year.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Aside from Jan 2010, we've visited the past 3 Januaries. We found the crowds to be low and the weather didn't dip below the 50s. We like the cold weather much more than the hot. Plus, for our family it's the perfect time to go. It's the perfect Christmas gift to ourselves, the best wind-down from the craziness of the previous months, and the best way to kick off a new year.

We were contemplating going this August. We even booked a trip, and then canceled it. We decided that the extremely hot weather and the crowds would take away from the trip for us.
    GF, Poly, Contemporary, Yacht Club

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: