Quantcast "Why don't you go someplace else?" - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I get that all of the time, too. It used to bother me , but it is really no one's business. We love Disney, and we choose to save up for it every year, and that's our choice!!! I actually feel bad for people who don't like Disney enough to understand why we go every year!!! I just don't get it!!!
    Coming up....BCV and BWV 2016????
    BWV July 2010, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15!!!!
    BWV and BCV July 2009
    BWV 12/2008 (Surprise trip!)
    Boardwalk Villas 08/2008
    Swan 06/2007
    Boardwalk Villas 08/2005
    Beach Club Villas 11/2004, 04/2006
    Contemporary 4/2002, 4/2004

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

All the time! At this point... its a bit of a joke among those who know me best. But I still can't understand their disbelief... Disney is just... Disney. Its "practically perfect in every way", to quote Mary Poppins.
    I've been to Europe and honestly, I prefer Disney World to Europe. That's just me, but...

Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas.

Thanks, and have a zippidee-do-dah ride!

98 - WL, 00 - WL, 04 - Off Property, 05 - Off Property, 05 - Downtown Disney: Grosvernor, 06 - PO:FQ, 07 - PO:R, 08 - PO:R, 09 - PO:R... Can't wait for Summer 2011!

Post Thanks / Like

I get asked that all the time. I think some of my co-workers think I'm nuts! I don't care though. I have grown up on Disney in one form or another and I just love it! Although we have thought or talked about going to other places....we usually change our minds and end up planning another Disney trip. We just love it!
    I have a co-worker that constantly says "I wish I could take my family to WDW, but I just can't afford it". I'm not judging, but this is someone for example who buys the new and improved $300 and up purses everytime you turn around (to each their own). I always tell her, well the money you spend on your purses, I would put towards a trip to WDW, you like your expensive purses, I like Disney trips! This is just one example.
    My co-workers always say "so your going to Disney again, don't you get tired of that place?" "isn't it for kids". My philosophy, Some people just don't get it if they have never been, or they don't have that kid inside of them still to be able to experience the magic.
    I like going to Disney as it makes me feel like a kid again and I love seeing all the kids faces when they see the characters for the first time, to me that is priceless!
    Magic is everywhere if you know where to look!

Visiting Disneyland since 1969 & Walt Disney World since 1994!

Disney Fan since birth!

Post Thanks / Like

WHY ?
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

I get that all the time also. It bothers me a bit. And it is generally our only family vacation every year. We do weekend trips to LBI, but that is only thanks to my grandmother who has a house there.

This year, I was actually apprehensive to tell my mom. She always makes comments about the money we spend at WDW and that it is a waste of money, etc.. But I told her that I got a great deal and that my DD14 wanted to go there for her 8th grade graduation, and then I changed the subject quickly. I hate being made to feel guilty for something that brings my family joy!

And lastly we tried another vacation last year. We did a road trip to DC and then to the Canadian side of Niagara. It was very nice, but disappointing compared to our usual .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
    º0º Monica º0º

Resorts visited to date: *CR * ASSp * CBR * Poly * POFQ * AKL * POR *

Most recent trip: Aug '08 - Disney Cruise Line and Poly!!

Year off and then Off-Site Timeshare and WL July 2010!

"It all started with a mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

We get that as well but either shrug it off or just give a bland answer, like "because we want to." It's like people who go to the beach all the time; why keep going back to a beach? Some colleagues assume we got to WDW every time we're off from work which is not true, and sometimes that assumption bothers me. Others ask when we're going back, which is fine. We do travel elsewhere, but WDW is where we go regularly and will go at any opportunity. I went to Hawaii last summer and WDW, to Carmel, CA, Los Angeles (and DL), and Las Vegas. Next summer is an Alaska cruise for our 10th anniversary. Can't wait for that!

No place compares to WDW bc it is like a second home and is an escape from the grind of daily life.
    "Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you. But always dress for the hunt!" Kungaloosh!

"Happy are those whom the Muses love."

Post Thanks / Like

We get that question as well.

I find that people who think we'll get sick of Disney, don't know all that Disney has to offer. This is a great time to education them that Disney is more than just rides and characters; it's great dining, amazing shows, water parks, parasailing, fishing, spas, shoppings and all in the clean detail-oriented perfection of the Disney environment. In fact, I think I could spend an entire Disney vacation and never go on one ride because of everything else Disney has to offer.

When I tell that to people, they have to admit, that Disney does make magic happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    We just don't bring it up any more. We only discuss our Disney trips with fellow Disney addicts and close family members who are used to our "eccentricities".

Yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

We've got this same thing, from someone who recently said "i thought since your kids are older now, you wouldn't have to keep going back, spending all that money...grumble, grumble"

I was in shock, wasn't even sure what to say to that. Our kids are 18, 16, and 10! I am so grateful that our "older" kids still want to go, and ride "kiddie" rides, and sing along to the silly songs with me, and aren't embarrassed to be playing a fiddle onstage with a bunch of hillbillies!

And we do take trips to other places- but nothing is as relaxing and fun as WDW/DL! You either get it, or you don't!

Post Thanks / Like

I always tell them it's my Happy Place.. They always say they just don't understand and I tell them it's most likely because they haven't ever been there to know why I enjoy it so much. This will be my 6th trip coming up in 9 days since 2007.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DiannaJ View Post
    I always tell them it's my Happy Place..
    Good answer!

I have faced this question for many years. I am a world traveler. I haven't "worked" in almost two years. I just enjoy all of the options Disney has to offer. I can do a Disney vacation my way. It is hard to explain, as you are all aware. I usually just ask them, "where do you suggest I go then?" When they answer, I can usually tell them, "been there, done that, and didn't like it." I have had amazing vacations at amazing locations, yet I always compare them to a Disney trip. Somehow, they all have their plus and minuses and so does Disney. But, the truth is; once you know how to plan a Disney vacation, it is the most fun. I don't have any kids and I can honestly go anywhere I want. Truth is: I am.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't realize there was anywhere else....

But seriously, DW and I were just talking during dinner tonight about going somewhere new....Disneyland
    '84 - offsite
    '98 - Contemporary
    '00 - offsite
    '03 - Contemporary
    '05 - Polynesian
    '06 - Contemporary
    '07 - Contemporary
    June '08 - Port Orleans Riverside (surprise Father's day gift)
    Dec '08 - Contemporary
    Aug-09 - CSR
    Dec '09 - BLT
    May '10 - Polynesian
    Feb '11 - CSR
    Nov '13 - CSR

Post Thanks / Like

I get asked that a lot at work, as well. People think I'm weird or something, but oh well. I do go other places, and like other places. I usually tell them that I have found it much cheaper to go to WDW than it is to go to Vegas. I mean, you can stay at a value that is cheaper than a hotel in Vegas or NYC, food is about the same price, and your entertainment for ALL DAY is the only thing that may be more expensive, but, depending on what you might do and see in NYC or Vegas, it could be cheaper.

I also tell them that it is a pure escape from reality. I, personally, thrive on that. I don't want to worry about driving, making schedules, dealing with the negativity of society, bad news, etc. The only responsibility I have is to have fun.

Plus, where else can you experience customer service like Disney has?
    Morgan- DVC, AP, Perfect Princess, Married at Disney
    Off-site * POFQ * ASMu * POR * FW * BWI/V * Dolphin * AKL-Jambo/Kidani * WL * ASSp * Swan * POP * CBR * OKW * CSR * ASMo * BLT * SSR * AoA * DCL-Platinum * DLParis * DLR

Post Thanks / Like

I'm fortunate enough that many of our close family and friends also love WDW. They may not go as often as we do, but they understand our love for it.

But, we still get those questions from others. I've pointed out that its the same as people who go to the same beach and stay in the same beach house every year. Same as people who go snow skiing in Colorado every year for Mardi Gras. I don't understand why its "OK" for those people to vacation where they want year after year, but Disney should't be a repeat destination???? And what I really don't get is that these people who question us know that we travel all over, not just WDW. My kids have been to WDW around 11 times now, but they've been to over 11 other places besides WDW. Still some people don't think a WDW vacation should be more than a once in a lifetime trip. I've decided to just tell them that we do it because we can and we want to. I got tired of trying to explain a long time ago.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: