Quantcast Worth $300 more?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

View Poll Results: Spend or save $300?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spend $300 and stay at Port Orleans

46 64.79%
  • Save $300 and stay at POP Century

25 35.21%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Worth $300 more?

POP Century vs Port Orleans: save $300 and stay at POP or spend the $300 and stay at Orleans? We have stayed at Orleans the last 3 times down, how much of a difference would we see if we stayed at POP?
    10/92 Off-Site
    10/97 All-Star Music
    06/06 French Quarter
    05/08 French Quarter

12/09 French Quarter
    9/10 French Quarter
    07/12 Off-Site
    11/13 All-Star Music
    6/15 Coronado Springs
    9/15 Pop Century
    01/16 All-Star Sports
    11/16 French Quarter

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer moderates over the values. I love all the greenery. We just stayed at POP in May and I had a great time, but if $ were not an issue I would have preferred a moderate. If it is the only way for you to budget at trip to WDW, then by all means I wouldn't hesitate to stay at POP. So I am not sure if that helps or not...but I think as long as you can visit WDW you will be happy!
    Romans 11:33-36
    1983, 1989 - Off Site
    2003 - April ASMo
    2004 - June POR
    2005 - April POFQ
    2010 - May POP and Dec CSR
    2013 - March F&G POP
    Weekend Trip Summer 2013 - Off Site
    2015 - Sept- AKL/CBR
    DEC - BC/WL
    2017 - July - Disneyland & D23 Expo!

Post Thanks / Like

It would depend greatly on the length of the stay. For one night I'd say no, for a few weeks I'd say yes.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can afford the $300 then stay at Port Orleans again. If you're going to worry about the extra money, then stay at POP.

We just love POFQ, we were going to stay at POP on our first trip, but upgraded when free dining ws first offered, and haven't looked back. POP is nice, and more than fine, but when we've visisted, it just seems so much busier and crazier than Port Orleans.

Also, we have a DD who loves to swim, and she would really miss her slides if we stayed at a value.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on how much you are planning on staying at your resort. Also, I think there may be a lot more kiddos at the POP rather than POR. I loved the POR for it's ambiance but if I had to pick $300 for souvenirs vs staying at a moderate, I would rather have the $300 for buying stuff I will have a lot longer than my vacation.
    dm2K
    1993 - BC/Cruise; 1996 - BC; 1998 - BC; 2000 - YC; 2002 - FQ; 2004 - Campground/BC; 2005 - POR; 2007 - BWI; 2008 - AKL; Christmas 2010 - BC; 2011 - All Star Sports; 2012 - AKL & WL; 2013 - DL and CSR

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on your finances. For me, I spend so much on a Disney vacation that $300 doesn't seem like a big step up to make it that much more amazing. But for some, it would. I wouldn't sacrifice any dining or extras to upgrade resort, but if I could swing both easily, I would definitely say it was worth it.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on your financial situation. For us, moderates are worth it due to numerous reasons. The main ones for us are that they have a hot tub (our acheing bones need them), Larger rooms and atmosphere. But POP was great too!!! Just depends on what you have to have. We have to have good busses and a hot tub....
    June 2003 Offsite Condo
    June 2004 Caribbean Beach
    June 2005 Honeymoon POFQ
    January 2006 POP
    August 2006 CBR Trip with the In-laws
    September 2007 AKL
    March 2009 & 2010 POFQ
    November 2010 POFQ
    November 2012 POR
    November 2013 POFQ Family Reunion
    January 2015 POR
    January 2016 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. I say save the money and spend it shopping! LOL I don't see that much of a difference between the value and moderate resorts. THere is a little more space but not $300 worth. Other than that I guess buses could be an issue?
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

To some families, $300 is a large amount. I don't want to push you into a financial situation that leaves you unable to eat during your trip! BUT, if that's not the case, go for it! The differences are legion. I encourage you to try out POFQ! This is my favorite Moderate resort of them all.

Post Thanks / Like

I really think it depends on your personal situation. We absolutely love POFQ but we also have a special needs child that needs the calm down time POFQ provides for us as well as the small size of the resort. I've never been to a value but trust me have looked and looked at them because of the price difference but they seem very loud (translate alot of stimulation). Also, POFQ has a ceiling fan and POP doesn't...this is also a deal breaker for my husband.....you know the kind....sleeps with a ceiling fan on even in the dead of winter...
    Reasons we pay the difference:
    1. calm atmosphere and size of resort
    2. ceiling fan in room
    3. Refrigerator comes in room (no extra $)
    4. Hot tub

But if none of these makes a difference for you, then you will probably be just as satisfied at POP....after all, as PP said, YOU'LL BE AT DISNEY WORLD!
    Disney BORN & BRED!

71-78 FL resident, MANY visits!
    78-79 CM@MK
    85&90-offsite
    94-SOG
    01&05-Band trips-offsite
    May08-1st visit 4 our spec DS! POFQ
    MAY09-POFQ-DD's college grad!
    POFQ/MNSSHP 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

I think it also depends on how much time you will spend at your resort. We spend most of our time at the parks and return to the resort to shower and sleep and maybe spend part of the day at the pool. I've stayed at the deluxe, mods (POR three times) and off site. Next month we'll be staying at music to save $. I'll do a comparison then.
    ~Mo

March 1985 / Off Site
    August 1985 / Off Site
    March 1998 / Poly
    March 2000 / Poly
    April 2002 / Off Site
    Feb 2003 / POR
    July 2004 / POR & WL
    Feb 2007 / POR
    July 2010 / ASMu!

Post Thanks / Like

We've stayed at Pop many times and love it, we've also staayed at POFQ a few times and loved that as well. I guess to us it really didn't make that much difference. POFQ is quieter but we don't spend much time at the resort usually. If we stay at Pop, we request a room facing the lake. We find it's much quieter than pool side. If the $300. means that you can splurge a little more on extras then I would stay at Pop, if the $$ doesn't make a difference than POFQ. I would rather not have to count pennies and stay at a value though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crltkcagle View Post
    Guess I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. I say save the money and spend it shopping! LOL I don't see that much of a difference between the value and moderate resorts. THere is a little more space but not $300 worth. Other than that I guess buses could be an issue?
    I feel the same way.

Post Thanks / Like

I voted to save the money and stay at Pop, BUT you haven't said when you were going, so I don't know what 'offers' may be available.

If you are going during a 'Free DDP' time, Value resorts only get the Quick Service DDP 'free,' whereas Moderates and up get the Standard DDP 'free.'

If there are % off deals, Values always get the lowest % off, then Moderates, then Deluxes.

There are lots of things to take into account....
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneymom2000 View Post
    I think it depends on how much you are planning on staying at your resort.
    This is my thought. We are park commandos most of the time and spend little to no time at the resort so I would say save the money and stay at POP (although we have started to lengthen and upgrade our stays which finds us spending a little more time at the resort than we would usually do). If you plan on spending some time hanging around your resort I say spend the extra $300 and stay at POR.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

"Too many people grow up. That 's the trouble with the world, too many people grow up." - Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

It wouldn't matter what the difference ~ I wouldn't voluntarily stay at POP again.

But I am big on atmosphere and enjoyed the quiet and relaxed pace of the resort after a busy day at the parks. And I REALLY missed the hot tub!! There isn't one at POP and every night we soak our tired feet and legs.

And there seemed to be alot of loud, crabby families at POP ~ oy yoy!!! Definitely not for this camper . . .

So I vote for Port Orleans!!
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

I voted for saving the money and staying at POP. For my DH and I, it's the only way we can afford to go. The money we saved on the room more than covers our food and souveniers for the trip (we only eat at quick service). Plus, we are park commandos and get back to our room really late at night and get up early the next day. So sleep and shower for us! We also really enjoyed our stay at POP last December and found it to be a great resort. We tended to get up early enough to beat the crowds to breakfast and usually caught a bus pretty quickly to the parks each day. You will really just have to see what's important for you and your family. If a hot tub, slightly bigger rooms and smaller resort are very important to you and your family then stay at the moderate resorts. If those things aren't that important to you, or you really can only afford to go if you save that $300, then stay at a Value. You'll never know it you'll like it, until you try it! I say, any trip to Disney World will be a good trip!
    Dreaming of Disney World every day, until I can get back there again!
    Disneyland at least a dozen times growing up!
    July 1997- Wilderness Lodge (HS Graduation)
    December 2009 & 2010- POP Century (7th & 8th Wedding Anniversaries)
    November 2011, April 2012, October 2012, January 2013 Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say go for the Moderate over POP. The extra $300 in the grand scheme of vacationing really isn't that much money. The beds are more comfy and the walls are a little thicker so you can't hear the screaming kids in the next room. I've stayed at POP and definitely enjoyed it, however I'd be more than happy to fork over the extra $300 for better accommodations.

Just a thought though - if you've stayed at POR before, why not hit up another of the moderates? Maybe get yourself a pirate room at Carribean Beach?
    Caribbean Beach August 1992
    Pop Century March 2008
    Beach Club April 2010
    Vero/BLT August 2011
    VWL July 2012

Next trip - Beach Club August 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I would stay at Pop. (Actually I would stay at the All Star Sports)
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I've stayed at both. I've had 2 good trips at POP but I'd spend the extra money for POFQ. I just like the atmoshpere much better. I like that it's smaller and there a boat to DTD. They have nice live music several nights a week at the Scat Cat Club near the lobby. Elliot Dyson is great
    1973,1978 (2x) Off Site
    1980 CONTEMPORARY
    1981 POLY
    1983 OFFSIGHT
    1990 POLY
    2000 POLY
    2001 BOARDWALK
    2002 WL
    2003 GROSVENOR DTD
    2003 WL
    2004 POFQ
    2005 POP